Marc Stein--Some Mavs Notes
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Marc Stein--Some Mavs Notes

No! I thought AJ was "untouchable too" . How good of Mark to finally decide who could part with AJ
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Marc Stein--Some Mavs Notes

Actually, Mark Cuban is showing some creativity here. Think about this, by signing a FA that we don't want to a one year contract (Walt) and adding to AJ, we have more tradeable "expiring" contracts. As long as the new contract doesn't put Walt into BYC land, it would work great. Now, if we had any FA that another team really wanted (Bell?) maybe some creative S&T scenarios could be developed.

I haven't looked, what did Walt make last year, $1MM?

OK. He could be signed one year at $1.2 MM without becoming BYC, added to AJ's $5.4 MM we could trade for something like a $7.5 MM contract to a team wanting to dump a long-term salary for expiring contracts. I think, I haven't taken the time to figure it out exactly, but you get the idea.

Same thing would work with a Griff or Popeye. Just depends upon what another Team wants to do.

Now the stories about keeping tabs on our own FAs-Griff, Popeye, Walt--make a little more sense.

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Actually, Mark Cuban is showing some creativity here. Think about this, by signing a FA that we don't want to a one year contract (Walt) and adding to AJ, we have more tradeable "expiring" contracts. As long as the new contract doesn't put Walt into BYC land, it would work great. Now, if we had any FA that another team really wanted (Bell?) maybe some creative S&T scenarios could be developed.

I haven't looked, what did Walt make last year, $1MM?

OK. He could be signed one year at $1.2 MM without becoming BYC, added to AJ's $5.4 MM we could trade for something like a $7.5 MM contract to a team wanting to dump a long-term salary for expiring contracts. I think, I haven't taken the time to figure it out exactly, but you get the idea.

Same thing would work with a Griff or Popeye. Just depends upon what another Team wants to do.

Now the stories about keeping tabs on our own FAs-Griff, Popeye, Walt--make a little more sense.

Very insightful. Is' almost as though Cuban would be creating "instant salary cap relief." Thus, having some valuable expiring contracts to trade. Let's see if it works.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Dampier is easily the best pick from hoard.
More importent than his post game,is his post defense.
This is a guy that could seriously guard players like TD and Shaq,well at least as good as possible in this league.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:38 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

What the Stein article tells me is that it's no wonder that the Mavericks haven't gotten a trade done. They haven't, apparently until just recently, decided that <u>Avery Johnson</u> is a valuable trade asset that must be used. It's not like we're talking about deciding whether to trade Finley, Nash, or Van Exel. <u>Avery Johnson</u>. No offense to Avery, but why in the WORLD would he not be expendable?

No wonder Don and Donnie Nelson have both been quoted repeatedly as saying, "You have to give to get." Or somesuch. They realized that they wouldn't be getting, because they weren't offering to give.

How disillusioning this whole process has become. The GM is off drinking beer at Charlie's in Maui, the owner has been revealed as the proverbial "wolf in sheep's clothing" -- a self-professed free spender turned spendthrift, and Donnie Nelson is out there proposing to trade a re-signed Walt Williams, Evan Eschmeyer, and Antoine Rigaudeaux for (fill in the blank of the various big men the Mavs are allegedly pursuing by trade).

And in the midst of it all, we're supposed to be thrilled. After all, as Eddie Sefko put it, "a 60 win team would be a joy in many other NBA cities."

Pardon me if I'm not happy.

I need a break.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:15 AM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

true KG,very true.
Whats more anoying is that they made Nick an untradeable,he is our most EXPANDABLE player.
You dont NEED 2 great PGs,no matter how much the second one saved your arse in the playoffs,you much rather trade the second PG for a good 4/5,otherwise,all we're left with is offering Cap relief,which apparantly,only a few teams desire,and non are willing to be satisfied at just that.
A trade MUST INVOLVE NICK,at least if we're talking about bringing a rasheed wallace or a brian grant.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:24 AM   #8
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

I'd generally agree with the not needing two great point guards, but after watching NVE tear the Kings a new one this past postseason, it has got to be hard to try to get rid of the guy...he singlehandedly allowed the Mavs to win two of those games in that series...
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: 4cwebb
I'd generally agree with the not needing two great point guards, but after watching NVE tear the Kings a new one this past postseason, it has got to be hard to try to get rid of the guy...he singlehandedly allowed the Mavs to win two of those games in that series...
PG is the only position that we are really 2-deep, with Nash and NVE as legitmaite starters. I know NVE was solid in the playoffs but that won't be enough this year...i'd love to keep nick - but his value may be at an all-time high. get something in return.

What C would NVE and filler bring?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
superman

superman is on a distinguished road

True dat. Nick played the series of his life, but I doubt it will ever happen again. The Mavs would be okay with losing him if they could get some kind of interior presence.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Rather then start another thread this is from hoopshype:
Dallas - The still seeking to bolster the talent level on the frontline Mavericks have been, and likely still are, in active trade dialogue with at least Portland and Miami. Given that they are talking to at least two teams, you can bet that list is larger than we now know for certain. Of course the New York media has Dallas and the Knicks in perpetual trade talks... but nothing is really expected there as this has been an ongoing theme in Gotham for so long now that Dallas owner Mark Cuban should just make a tape of his official denials so he can replay it each time it gets drug out again.

Dallas and Portland

As we discussed last week, Dallas and Portland are talking. To recap last week, I stated what I thought was a deal that would make sense for both teams: Nash/LaFrentz/Eschmeyer for Davis/Woods/Patterson. The Blazers and Dallas talked about Van Exel/LaFrentz for a Sabonis/Damon deal. Things do not look good on the Dallas/Portland front. The two teams will either work out a deal before August 15 that involves Sabonis, either his contract or him as a player if Sabonis is agreeable, or nothing will get done between the teams. The teams have talked about many players, but the Mavericks are unwilling to trade Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzki and the Blazers are not interested in picking up any of the fringe players. Raef LaFrentz will almost certainly be part of any deal and has an enormous 6 year/$60 million deal. He has big potential and is really in a tough situation in Dallas and the Blazers brass feels he would improve dramatically in Portland. But a long-term contract like that is tough to swallow when the Blazers are 2-3 years from being back to payroll flexibility.

The Blazers have muted interest in Nick Van Exel. Van Exel is at his best on a winning team in the playoffs, but he has serious concentration issues during the regular season. He’s a strong point guard and can be anywhere between a decent to solid shooter depending on his concentration, but for one more year on his contract and nearing the age of 32 where most shooters start to lose their legs, the Blazers do not believe that moving Van Exel for Damon makes sense other than moving Damon out of town, which is a major goal of the Blazers.

There has been talk of a Bonzi Wells/Sabonis/Damon trade for Finley/Van Exel/LaFrentz. According to my information this is not true. The Blazers have little interest in the original two for two and are not looking to acquire Michael Finley for Bonzi. Finley is certainly a superior player, but for $7 million less per season, $50 million in contract at the end, and 4 years of age, the Blazers would rather have Bonzi. The Blazers would love to see a Bonzi/Finley tandem at the 2/3 but I am told they will not look to move Bonzi for Finley.

The odds of a Blazers/Dallas trade are very low unless Dallas decides to include Nash in the deal.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote