Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-11-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Windows 2000

Does anyone here know where/if i can download the system?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Windows 2000

i seriously doubt it. windows 2000 is definitely something you would have to purchase at a store. maybe you could download it from micrsoft's site, but i doubt it. wherever you get it, it will not be free.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Windows 2000

If you know someone who has a copy of windows 2000, its easy. If you want the original one it will cost you a hell lot of money.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:13 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

easy and illegal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 08:35 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windows 2000

Not to mention that Microsoft can detect illegal installations if you connect to the internet.

2000 won't be expensive. Just pony up.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

if the prices are similar, you should just go with xp. 2000 is being used mainly in business situations.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:43 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Default Windows 2000

We've all gone to XP. I have a computer at home that still has 2000 though. I will probably upgrade it since I can get XP for ten bucks at work with the education software discount. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i'm using 2000 at work. i've heard xp is more user-friendly. is that true, or is it just that it looks better?
Old 08-12-2003, 09:27 AM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I have XP in my own PC, but there are some others PC's around here with all Windows. When it is not being used and nobody is watching, I quietly shift to the oldest and smallest one, which uses Windows 98; it's the fastest, simplest and most functional of the PC's and Windows. Hope nobody catches me, the "Up-to-Date Technology" promotor, using it.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:38 AM   #10
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Windows 2000

Our office has some XP but mostly 2000. Same with a different job I had last year. XP wasn't compatible with some programs we had loaded on our machines. Our systems were crashing whenever we used certain applications
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:05 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Default Windows 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
i'm using 2000 at work. i've heard xp is more user-friendly. is that true, or is it just that it looks better?

I think it is significantly easier to use. It takes some getting used to (not much it is very similar), but once you get used to it it is fantastic.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:14 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I hate about XP is the Fisher Price desktop. But luckily you can easily change it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And sign... there is a patch to fix compatibility issues with older software.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #13
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default Windows 2000

Beware of an Security hole in Windows XP and 2000. Make sure you patch your computers.

Quote:

...initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Time before shutdown: 00:00:59 Message: Windows
must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated
Here is a link that describes the problem and possible solutions

www.techsupportforums.com

Hope you guys are not struck by this virus/exploit whatever it is.

Get the patch from

MSFT
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 AM   #14
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Windows 2000

Quote:
And sign... there is a patch to fix compatibility issues with older software.
I'm sure there is, I'll let our IT guys mess with that one

Quote:
We just installed our patches today
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Default Windows 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by: FishForLunch
Beware of an Security hole in Windows XP and 2000. Make sure you patch your computers.

Quote:

...initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Time before shutdown: 00:00:59 Message: Windows
must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated
Here is a link that describes the problem and possible solutions

www.techsupportforums.com

Get the patch from

MSFT
I got caught yesterday but I could fix it with the patch from Microsoft.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Default Windows 2000

What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants
Old 08-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windows 2000

I got hit by that Blaster worm last week at home. Had to download a removal tool from Symantec and the patch from Microsoft to permanently fix the problem.

Don't have XP at work, so didn't have the same vulnerability.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Windows 2000

For patches needed for Blaster, click on you O/S below:

Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows NT4

A new variant called W32.Welchia.Worm is in the wild as of yesterday... for this one you will need additional patches installed below:

MS03-007
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows NT 4

and MS03-013
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows NT 4

It is a good idea to keep your machine updated with ALL security patches at ALL times. The easiest way to do this is to regularly visit Windows Update. and install all Critical Updates.

You will need to update your virus definitions as well to the latest and greatest.... I will list links for McAfee and Norton below (you must have the Virus software installed already, these are only definition updates):

McAfee VirusScan v4.0.3 and higher
Norton AntiVirus

edit: to fix some links (point directly to patch, and redirected Windows Update site)
Old 08-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
A new variant called W32.Welchia.Worm is in the wild as of yesterday... for this one you will need additional patches ...
I heard about other variant named Randex (W32.Randex.worm). Is it there too, U2?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #20
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

w32.Randex is a low threat virus currently. This virus does not take advantage of the exploits that Welchia and Blaster do. It is distributed by taking advantage of shared drives with weak passwords. The links above for Norton and Mcafee virus definitions will detect this threat.

Anyone out there should disable File and Print sharing, unless you have files on your machine that your are sharing with others or a printer you are sharing with others there is NO REASON to have this enabled.

If you must have it enabled, make sure that you PROTECT it well with strong passwords (more than 8 characters, upper/lower case characters, numbers, etc...)