Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Martin replaces Malone

Malone will miss Puerto Rico tournament; Nets' Martin replaces him

August 19, 2003

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Karl Malone will not rejoin the U.S. Olympic qualifying team because of the death of his mother. Kenyon Martin of the New Jersey Nets was chosen Tuesday as his replacement.

Malone's agent informed U.S. team officials Monday night of the decision. He will retain his spot on the 2004 Olympic team if the United States earns one of three berths to the Athens Games at a qualifying tournament that begins Wednesday.

``It was more important for him to be with his family and we all understand that,'' U.S. coach Larry Brown said. ``Hopefully he'll be part of our team in 2004 if we're lucky enough to qualify.''

Malone, a 40-year-old two-time Olympian, left the team's training camp in New York on Aug. 13 to return to Arkansas after his mother, Shirley Jackson Malone, died.

Martin was expected to join the team at its afternoon practice Tuesday in San Juan. Martin, who got married Saturday in Las Vegas, is not guaranteed a spot on the 2004 team, USA Basketball spokesman Craig Miller said.

He becomes the third member of the New Jersey Nets on the roster, joining Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson.

``This is somewhat unexpected, but it is a great opportunity for Kenyon. He's certainly deserving of this kind of honor and we're looking forward to having him join the team,'' Brown said.

The U.S. team plays its first game Wednesday night against Brazil.

The 6-foot-9 Martin, a three-year NBA veteran, gives the American team another natural power forward along the front line. The U.S. team is using Tim Duncan and Jermaine O'Neal, who play power forward on their NBA teams, as centers. Elton Brand is the other big forward.

Martin was a member of the 2001 Goodwill Games team that went 5-0 in Australia, needing overtime to defeat Brazil.

``This is a great opportunity. I'm very pleased to be added to the team,'' Martin said in a statement. ``I already have a couple of my teammates on the team so we should have a lot of fun.''

The first overall pick of the 2000 draft, Martin averaged 16.7 points and 8.3 rebounds last season for the Nets, who went to the NBA Finals for the second consecutive year.

Martin, who shot just 3-for-23 in the deciding Game 6 of the finals against San Antonio, reportedly asked for a trade earlier this summer when the Nets did not meet his agent's demand for a maximum contract extension.

He was selected to the U.S. team by a subcommittee that included Stu Jackson, an NBA vice president and chairman of the USA Basketball selection committee.

``Under these circumstances, because of the time issue, they have the authority to select someone else,'' Miller said.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear the news of his mother. My mom passed away 2 years ago, and it's not an easy thing to deal with (especially the first year). I think Martin is a suitable replacement for him. I have always liked Malone because he is probably been one of the most consistant players in the NBA. He hardley has ever missed a game in his career, and has put up good stats over his entire career. How many MVP awards does he have? Good issue to bring to everyones attention MavsFanFinley.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Martin replaces Malone

I sure do wish they could have gotten someone other than Kenyon Martin.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

What player do you have in mind?
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote