Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs payroll for next few years

Ouch!

This year $76,874,052
2004/2005 $77,340,734 (with Nash NOT opting out) - probably $80M or so
2005/2006 $76,912,505 (without Nash listed at all) - probably $85M or so
2006/2007 $82,529,398 (again without Nash) - probably $92M or so

THEN we have to add the contract we get from the Mills trade. Cuban has a lot of money tied up in this team.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

plus the dollar for dollar luxury tax penalty.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs payroll for next few years

Folks can bitch and moan about "publicity hound" Mark Cuban all they want, but I find it awfully silly to endlessly nitpick and find fault with an NBA owner so patently willing to bankroll the best Maverick's team he and the Nelson's can assemble...
Old 08-18-2003, 11:36 PM   #4
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Folks can bitch and moan about "publicity hound" Mark Cuban all they want, but I think it is awfully hard to fault the man for being so patently willing to bankroll the best Maverick's team he and the Nelson's can assemble...
I wish everyone would have said that 2 weeks ago
Old 08-18-2003, 11:39 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha... You beat my short edit with your quote Fahq...
Old 08-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

All i gotta say is, I sure am glad Cuban bought this team, and didn't leave it with Ross Perot Jr. Seein how things went with with Perot , the Mavs would be talkin about aquiring the services of Chris Dudley right now instead of a blockbuster trade.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Cuban said it in interviews more than2 weeks ago, that he wanted to watch out the pocket (similar words); also we saw that he only wanted to handle the exceptions with the big players and less than that with other players. But I think he changed his mind with the deadly movements the westerns were doing.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:42 PM   #8
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Hahaha... You beat my short edit with your quote Fahq...
I just think we were being a little hard on the guy in this forum, so I thought it should be said
Old 08-18-2003, 11:43 PM   #9
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:

Cuban said it in interviews more than2 weeks ago, that he wanted to watch out the pocket (similar words); also we saw that he only wanted to handle the exceptions with the big players and less than that with other players. But I think he changed his mind with the deadly movements the westerns were doing.
He said he would add payroll if it could really improve the team
Old 08-19-2003, 06:28 AM   #10
aidzhsiah

aidzhsiah is on a distinguished road

You gotta wonder how long Cuban will be willing to hemorrage cash like this though.

There is nearly no way he's turning a profit right now.... championship or not.

And despite his deep pockets, his money is not unlimited.
aidzhsiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 AM   #11
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

He repotadely also lost 19 Mil last year with MAVS in basketball operation. I dont know much, but this guy has heart for a basketball fan and head for a pure business man.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
aidzhsiah

If Cuban was truly thinking like a business man, he'd be cutting salary left and right, not taking more on.

I'm really wondering at what point does he just say "enough is enough".
Old 08-19-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Guys, I was the leader of the "Cuban is not willing to lose more money and won't admit it" bandwagon. And until this trade, there was little evidence to refute it and lots of evidence to support it.

But, realistically, I don't see how you can look at this trade and successfully argue this point any more. Long-term, lots of payroll has been added. He actually sign and traded Popeye Jones and traded the salary of Rigadou. Cuban had the chance to step up and he took full advantage.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:16 AM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Guys, I was the leader of the "Cuban is not willing to lose more money and won't admit it" bandwagon. And until this trade, there was little evidence to refute it and lots of evidence to support it.

But, realistically, I don't see how you can look at this trade and successfully argue this point any more. Long-term, lots of payroll has been added. He actually sign and traded Popeye Jones and traded the salary of Rigadou. Cuban had the chance to step up and he took full advantage.
Agreed.

I tip my hat to you, Mark Cuban.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Amen to that...hats off to Mark.

FYI..by way of comparison, portland had a payroll of $105 million last year.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass

HOLY CRAP!!! That wasn't alot of bang for Paul Allen's buck.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:27 PM   #17
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Quote:

I don't think it bothers Paul that much. Paul Allen can buy and sell Mark Cuban any day of the week. Allen is worth $21B. He co-founded Microsoft. I remember reading an interview with David Geffen. In the middle of the interview, Geffen said that he went to Paul Allen's 40th birthday party. Allen flew everone to France for a private concert. I don't remember exactly who it was that performed, but I want to say it was either Billy Joel, Elton John or Paul McCartney. Geffen commented that it was the greatest party he'd ever been too and one of the best days of his life.

Paul Allen also owns the Seahawks. I think Paul Allen is the lone exception to the rule that an NFL owner cannot own more than one sports franchise (unless you count Lamar Hunt, who owns the Dallas Burn).
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:40 PM   #18
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Quote:

I don't think it bothers Paul that much. Paul Allen can buy and sell Mark Cuban any day of the week. Allen is worth $21B. He co-founded Microsoft. I remember reading an interview with David Geffen. In the middle of the interview, Geffen said that he went to Paul Allen's 40th birthday party. Allen flew everone to France for a private concert. I don't remember exactly who it was that performed, but I want to say it was either Billy Joel, Elton John or Paul McCartney. Geffen commented that it was the greatest party he'd ever been too and one of the best days of his life.

Paul Allen also owns the Seahawks. I think Paul Allen is the lone exception to the rule that an NFL owner cannot own more than one sports franchise (unless you count Lamar Hunt, who owns the Dallas Burn).
I wonder why Bill Gates hasn't got into sports ownership.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #19
aidzhsiah

Actaully I heard that Paul Allen is no longer as rich as he was. He suffered some big losses and he was actively retooling all his companies and businesses.