Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-08-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Other than Mavs which three teams are you excited about

If I have to pick a team to watch this season other than the mavs, My #1 pick would be Cleveland Cavaliers.

Here are my picks:

1). Cleveland - Lebron Mania
2). Golden state Warriors- Want to see how Nick plays this season.
3). LA Lakers - I may hate the lakers but am really curious to see how the Big 4 in the Lala perform together.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Other than Mavs which three teams are you excited about

1) Minnesota. Only because Garnett.
2) New Jersey. Only because Kidd.
3) Golden State. Nick and Evan, maybe AJ. And Jones [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].
Old 09-08-2003, 05:53 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

1.) Golden State. Still a favorite of mine and it will be hard to resist watching NVE against his former team.

2.) Sacramento. Reminds me of Dallas, plus I get to rag on my family when the Mavs beat them.

3.) Denver. I like what Kiki is building and it could be an interesting year for them.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

1) LA Lakers- Watching next year's LA Hall-of-Fame-Train roll may be painful at times, but it should always be entertaining...

2) Denver Nuggets- Mastermind Kiki is building a deep and devastatingly talented team in the Rockies. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Nugs take some exciting steps forward next season...

3) Minnesota Timberwolves- It should be amusing to route for the hapless Timberwolves to flounder and collapse as they attempt to meld the aging, but legitimate talents of Cassell and Sprewell with the animated diaharea stain that is Michael Olowokandi and the old, classic Twolves Wally-Kevin one-two punch. Maybe things will work out for the Wolves next season, but somehow I don't see it... And I certainly look forward to the pundits not being able to blame any possible future TWolves playoff collapses on Kevin Garnett's percieved lack of a supporting cast. If things don't work out in Minnesota next year, there will be few remaining excuses for KG to reach for and lean upon...
Old 09-08-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Lebron - obviously I want to see what the next magic or whatever biggest thing has in his bag.
Carmelo- This swing man had a great tournament anxious to see his game, as well as the improvement of hilario.
Kings- no question this team is the second fun team to watch. It will be interesting how miller and wallace mix in with this team.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Chicago Bulls - so much damn talent just waiting to explode. I'm picking Chandler to break out and become an all-star. Jalen Rose is going to bust it on some fools. He could be an all-star, too. You can't ignore a man who puts up Jalen's numbers for a playoff team... you just can't. Now that the Bulls are a playoff team, no one will be able to ignore Jalen. Jamal Crawford will prove people wrong about his ability. Kirk Hinrich is one of my favorite rookies. I think he'll have an immediate impact. Pip's gonna bring the veteran leadership they've been solely lacking. Is a #1 seed out of the question?

Indiana Pacers - Larry Bird is back. So is Rick Carlisle. So too will be Austin Croshere, Jeff Foster, and victories in the playoffs.

Denver Nuggets - They will suck again, that's for sure. But at least they will suck with a good coach and loads of interesting talent. You better start practicing your pronunciation of the word "Tskitishvili" I think it goes like this: Chich-vil'-lee. Chich-vil'-lee Chich-vil'-lee Chich-vil'-lee!!!!!!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:01 PM   #7
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i started to make a list, but then i realized i could list almost every team. there have been a lot of major off season moves through trade, the draft, and free agency. combine that with a lot of young players that could be ready to explode, and anything could happen with a lot of these teams. the east especially is wide open, and i am curious to see who will make the playoffs. will odom pan out in miami? will mourning ever play? how good are darko, lebron, and melo going to be? what will carlisle do with the pacers? and of course it will be interesting to see how the top five teams in the west come out of their off season acquisitions. but i will also want to watch golden state because of nick, houston and phoenix because they have some nice young talent, denver because of melo and the nice team they are putting together...i can't wait for it to start! i only wish i had league pass or something so i could watch more of the games.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Pacers, Yao and LeBron individually speaking.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:04 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Denver
Denver and
Denver.

but I will enjoy watching Cleveland and Houston play.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:30 PM   #10
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

1) Cleveland Cavaliers - I wanna see Lebron play and see how much better he can make the Cavs. I'm sure there's gonna be alot of highlight clips from those games.

2) Orlando Magic - With the addition of Juwon Howard and a full year of Gordon Giricek and Drew Gooden , the Magic should be a contender this year, and will be fun to watch.

3) Denver Nuggets - A really improved team, the big three of Nene, Andre Miller, and Carmello Anthony will be a really exciting, young group of players who will be a fun to watch as well.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Chicago- call me crazy, but i'm predicting the Bulls to be the 6th seed in the playoffs next year. Eddy Curry should finally live up to the name "Baby Shaq." It will also be interesting to see the surprise rookie greatness of Kirk Hinrich. I will probably watch the majority of Bulls games.

L.A. Lakers- even though their imagine is partially tarnished by Shaq Attack, it will be interesting to see how it all falls out. They will be the reality series of the NBA.

Golden State- I want to see how bad or good this team can be. They basically put all of their hope in a second year player. Not too smart, but i don't think they'll be as bad as most people say b/c they still got a good team.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:55 PM   #12

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

Lakers - obviously

Cleveland - lebron

GS/Orlando- nick, and the juwan/tmac combo
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 PM   #13
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
2.) Sacramento. Reminds me of Dallas, plus I get to rag on my family when the Mavs beat them.
uh-huh!
That's why I'll have the Kings at #1...well that and no matter what you think of them, they play
exciting basketball to watch.

#2. Timberwolves - Always love to watch KG...now I can't wait to watch KG with some talent
around him.

#3 Houston - Yao's 2nd year....if he and Stevie can't rustle up something worthty of a play-off
berth between them...maybe Houston isn't the town for Yao.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:52 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

1. Cavs (I don't believe the hype but i'm curious)
2. Lakers ( 4 all stars are one team. Same as above. Curious)
3. Nuggets (I'm interested in Carmelo. Once again I don't believe the hype but i'm curious.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:28 AM   #15
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Well I'm a Laker guy, so I'll be watching the Lakers season the most. However, here are my top 3 teams to watch during the regular season, in order:

1. Mavs; most exciting team to watch right next to the Lakers, IMO of course. Best offense in the league (still better than the Lakers overall) and defense will improve this year.
2. Kings; another very exciting team to watch. They're almost my #1 pick over the Mavs, but Webber is just so damn annoying sometimes. Anyway, Kings are a great balance of offense and defense, which makes them fun to watch.
3. Not sure about this yet. Tpups could be very fun to watch this year, we'll have to see. Suns are a great team getting better, we'll see how they mature this year.

I would include the Spurs, but they're simply too boring for me to watch more than half their season. I'll watch maybe 35-40 Spurs games this year, but that's it. I'll catch all the big ones (Mavs v. Spurs, Lakers v. Spurs, Kings v. Spurs, etc.).
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:20 AM   #16
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

1. Denver
2. Houston (though I pretty much hate them)
3. -fasten your seatbelts- Memphis

I just love to see Pau Gasol playing...
Old 09-09-2003, 07:30 AM   #17
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

T'Wolves- They are becoming a threat in the West now
Cavs- Just how good is Lebron?
Warriors- Van Exel is their leader now, how well will they do?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #18
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Denver
Denver and
Denver.

but I will enjoy watching Cleveland and Houston play.
I agree with Doc 100%.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #19
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Lakers - Want to see if the Malone/Payton addition is really that good.
Cleveland - Lebron
Detroit - I want to see what all the hype is about with Darko.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:38 PM   #20
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

1. Denver
2. Detroit
3. Miami
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:42 PM   #21
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Denver-- Forget Carmelo... he's Glenn Robinson part two... I'm looking at Skita and Nene. Nene is going to be better than Amare. I just feel it more than know it. And I'm really waiting to see if Skita will finally put things together (much the way Dirk did in his 2nd year.)

Detroit--Anyone else waiting for Darko? Personally everyone thought that Gasol was going to be better than Dirk. (Because Gasol had a post game... unlike Dirk at the time, and could step oyt and hit treys.) I'm still unconvinced.

Golden State--Troy Murphy is the second coolest player in the game today. (Behind Dirk of course.)

New York--Lampe and Vranes. Lampe should be good, at least by his rep. But Vranes has me intrigued because I kind of wish the Mavs would have drafted him in the late second round. He could be a "passionate" Shawn Bradley.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:53 PM   #22
German7Footer

German7Footer is on a distinguished road

1. Detroit (Larry Brown & Darko)

2. Indiana (Larry Bird back in control)

3. Golden State (NVE)
Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 AM   #23
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Bayliss - Have you heard whether the Knicks have arranged for Vranes to be on the roster next year? I remember something about a buyout issue with his Yugo team. In my opinion he's more of a long term project anyway. I doubt that even if he made the team this year that he'd get much playing time. But watch out in a year or two..
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

he needs at least a 2 mil contract so he can buy more of those tent-like suits...
Old 09-10-2003, 09:53 AM   #25
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

1. Pistons - 50 win team adding Larry Brown and Darko Milicic. This team could be the class of the East.
2. Knicks - Alan Houston, Kurt Thomas, Keith Van Horn and a healthy Antonio MyDyess could be the start of a formidable foursome. If they add a solid point somehow, they could be real contenders in the East. Bonus points if Sweetney and Lampe contribute, which I think they will.
3. Cavs - Yeah, I'll bite. I can't wait to see LeBron.

One for good luck.....

4. Rockets - Part of me is expecting Yao to average 19 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists this year. If he does, the Rockets are a serious threat to make some noise in the West.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:55 AM   #26
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Bayliss - Have you heard whether the Knicks have arranged for Vranes to be on the roster next year? I remember something about a buyout issue with his Yugo team. In my opinion he's more of a long term project anyway. I doubt that even if he made the team this year that he'd get much playing time. But watch out in a year or two..
Vranes will be on the 15 man roster, but most likely just so the Knicks can develop him in practice.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #27
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Denver: Seems like everyone here likes Denver...I like them for many reasons (reminds me of the Mavs when they were beginning to improve when Nelson showed up), however since I like Brazilian players, I follow Hilario...

Phoenix: They are going to be a team to watch this year...possible 5th place team in the WC. Reason? You guessed it! I want to follow Barbosa. He won't play much, but I hope he surprises a lot of people this year.

New York and Detroit: Eastern conference teams to watch for... Darko (to see how he compares with Dirk), as well as New York's Lampe.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

for the car-crash value: the Lakers
because Im still a GS fan and because Im interested in NVE: the Warriors
because they are on their way up: Phoenix
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:12 PM   #29
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

#1: Bucks. I think they are a younger version of the Mav's. High paced offensive firepower, with little defense. They have a new dynamic point guard, TJ Ford, a flashy dunker, Mason, a three point specialist, Redd, an athletic and versatile player, Thomas, along with young post players.

#2: Nuggets. If not for anything else, I love their new uni's. But they also got Carmelo Anthony, Andre Miller, Earl Boykins, and have Nene devolping.

#3: Heat. I really like their young players as well. Dwane Wade is going to be awesome, and when you team him with Caron Butler, and Lamar Odom he will only be better. Also, if they play Brian Grant as their only traditional post player things could get very interesting, and wide open.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote