Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Atlanta Signs Stephen Jackson

ATLANTA (AP) -- Free-agent swingman Stephen Jackson signed with the Atlanta Hawks on Friday, then watched their first practice.

Jackson, who can play small forward and shooting guard, will join practice Monday and is expected to compete for a starting job.

The 6-foot-8 Jackson helped the San Antonio Spurs win the NBA championship last season. He ranked third on the team in playoff scoring at 12.8 points per game.

After trading Glenn Robinson in a cost-cutting offseason move, the Hawks are looking for a new starting small forward.

Jackson, is a third-year pro who averaged 11.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.6 steals last season. He was a top reserve with the Spurs but hopes to land a starting job with the Hawks.

The Hawks didn't announce the terms of the deal.

Old 10-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Atlanta Signs Stephen Jackson

All though it may not seem like it, they have an ok team. I still don't expect a playoff appearence.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Jackson might get a strong dose of reality when he tries to create his own shot instead of feeding off of Tim Duncan. Looks like his agent gave him bad advice.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Jackson is a nice pickup for the Hawks. He won't be half as good as he was in SAN (will he still be plagued with turnover problems?). Im just kinda glad he didnt end up with SAC or SAN.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
Voronwe

Voronwe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stephen Jackson ... will join practice Monday and is expected to compete for a starting job.

He goes from starting on a championship team to competing with Chris Crawford for minutes on a weak Eastern Conference team. This surely isn't close to what he had in mind when he held out for more money.

Edit: Turning off italics.
Voronwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I think Jackson does great in Atlanta. SA will miss him.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I think he spares us all to death. 6 pts/4 rbs per game...
Old 10-03-2003, 11:11 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

What is he thinking going to Atlanta? Does he have family there? I'd sure like to know the contract terms.

Competing for a starting job? Good grief.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

They must have offered him some serious bucks. Otherwise, why Atlanta?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 11:50 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

There weren't many jobs left that were paying more than the mininum
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 12:00 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
There weren't many jobs left that were paying more than the mininum
I know. He could have played somewhere else for the minimum with a better shot at playing meaningful postseason games. It's confusing.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:03 AM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad he's gone. He kept them in game six until Pop remembered he had one of the best shooters of all time on the bench.

Who are the Spurs planning to start at the 3?
Old 10-04-2003, 12:07 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Turkeyglue?
Old 10-04-2003, 12:15 AM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think he's the best option, but everybody keeps talking about him coming off the bench. Horry was a sf(and a damn good one) in Houston, but can he still be effective there at his age. He still moves well, but he's gained weight.

If they go with Manu at the 2 and shift Bowen to three then they they have thier own version of small ball. Although it would be anchored by 2 7 footers.