Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-20-2003, 09:01 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs lineup, minute distribution

i have no idea at this moment..but, do you start
walker
dirk
nash
fin
and
jamison?

it doesn't really matter,..all will play starters minutes

but, what are your thoughts?

I think you probably start fortson or preferably bradley and bring walker off the bench.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavs lineup, minute distribution

I guess the mavs are officially Run SADAM now
Old 10-20-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Murph knowing Nellie we won't have any set starting lineup. He will juggle players in at the 5 according to matchups. We might see AJ, Walker and Dirk one game. Then AJ, Dirk, and Fortson the next. Then AJ, Dirk, and Bradley. Then Walker, Dirk, and Najera. I see Dirk being a constant unless he is injured. AJ will probably start most or maybe all. Otherwise get the revolving door ready for the additonal frontcourt spot.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:08 AM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I guess the mavs are officially Run SADAM now
[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Mavs lineup, minute distribution

I still like Bradley in the starting lineup.

But a second unit of

Best
Delk
Howard
Walker
Fortson

is pretty scary. Depth Depth Depth Depth
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

madape, the only logic that i can see with not going with bradley in the starting lineup is to keep him out of early foul trouble.

another question..who the hell will take the last shot? the mavs had too many people wanting the ball down the stretch last season with NVE being the second PG on the court that you couldn't convince to pass the ball.. who will take the last shot? One of the mavs 3 point forwards or their PG..or, mikey fin?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:18 AM   #7
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Let's say they start Dirk at center and play a zone, that could work. Also, that would give us a big 5 instead of a big 4. It would look like...

Nash
Finley
Jamison
Walker
Nowitzki
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:22 AM   #8
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Murph knowing Nellie we won't have any set starting lineup. He will juggle players in at the 5 according to matchups. We might see AJ, Walker and Dirk one game. Then AJ, Dirk, and Fortson the next. Then AJ, Dirk, and Bradley. Then Walker, Dirk, and Najera. I see Dirk being a constant unless he is injured. AJ will probably start most or maybe all. Otherwise get the revolving door ready for the additonal frontcourt spot.
The lineup looked so SET before this trade. And now its back to Nellie's mad scientist routine.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:26 AM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

It would be a Blasphemy if Walker starts.

Nash
Finley
Jamison
Dirk
Fortson

We better sign another center.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Make no mistake about it, our starting lineup (and more importantly, our crunchtime lineup) looks like this:

Dirk
Walker
Jamison
Finley
Nash

Positions are just labels at this point.

I'm still in shock, but I'm trying to look at this trade positively. Think about it this way:

1. We have a starting lineup and the overall talent level to match the Lakers. In fact, we might have the most talented starting lineup in the league.

2. How in the world can anybody guard our frontcourt?

Kings - I tend to think Dirk can cover Miller and Walker can do a decent job on Webber, but how in the world can Miller cover either Dirk, Walker, or Jamison? How in the world can Webber cover any of the three?

Spurs - We'll still be swarming Duncan with the game on the line anyway, but how can Nesterovic cover Dirk, Walker, or Jamison? Where will Duncan hide? There is NOWHERE to hide.

Lakers - See the Spurs. We'll still have to swarm Shaq on defense, but who is Shaq going to guard? What about Malone?

3. We are still a good rebounding team.

Here's a rundown of the potential rebounding:

Dirk 10 - Bradley 4
Walker 8 - Fortson 4
Jamison 7 - Howard 2
Finley 6 - Delk/TAW 3
Nash 3 - Best 2

That's 49 rebounds. That's incredible. Knock 2-3 off if you think I'm overestimating and we'd still lead the league in rebounding.

We still have to wonder a) if there are enough shots to go around and b) if we can stop anybody, but it's not Underdog Ball and everyone is playing a natural position (except Dirk).

*still in shock*
Old 10-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk
Walker
Jamison
Finley
Nash
If this is our starting lineup, I'm worried about our bench. Where is the scoring going to come from? Before we had Raef and Welsch as scoring options but that just went out the door this morning.

Someone forgot to tell the Mavs that only one ball is aloud on the court. I also fear that Jamison and Walker will be our post up boys while Dirk drags the centers away from the middle. It's either him or Walker will that do so. I just can't stomach having to watch Walker sit out at the 3 point line if that is the plan.

Dirk (Forston, Bradley)
Walker (Najera)
Jamison (TAW)
Finley (Howard, Daniels)
Nash (Best, Delk, Stefansson)

Old 10-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #12
LRB
Guru

KG I would agree the lineups you proposed make lots of sense. But I just can't see Nellie being willing to stop tinkering and trying different lineups for matchup reasons. I wish he would, and would be happy to be proven wrong. I just don't see it happening.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

MFF, if that's the starting lineup, does it matter where the scoring comes from off of the bench?

Why would it? The mavs can just pattern their 'rotations' to where they have at least a couple of the starters in at all times so that bench scoring is of no huge concern
Old 10-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This trade only makes sense if the next trade is with Portland for Rasheed Wallace, or Dale Davis, and filler.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:52 AM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MFF, if that's the starting lineup, does it matter where the scoring comes from off of the bench?

Why would it? The mavs can just pattern their 'rotations' to where they have at least a couple of the starters in at all times so that bench scoring is of no huge concern.
That's going to be too big of a revolving door, imo. It will be irritating to watch Walker out, Fortson in. Finley out, Howard in. Walker back in, Dirk out. TAW in, Jamison out. Nash out, Delk in. Best in, Delk out. Finley in, Howard out....

With that starting lineup, you'd think scoring wouldn't be a problem off the bench, but one ball and 5 players starting that need the ball in their hands. Spells disaster to me.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

To me its obvious that Walker will have to take a back seat. Either he comes off the bench and Nellie lets him do what he wants offensively like he did with NVE, or he starts and his game is curtailed to being more of an inside player. I don't see Dirk playing center that often considering the fact that opposing teams will continually drive right into him, hoping to foul him out. Nellie will not put Dirk in that kind of situation. I think our bench would be killer if Walker would subdue his ego for the good of the team.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #17
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
This trade only makes sense if the next trade is with Portland for Rasheed Wallace, or Dale Davis, and filler.

Welcome to the board.

I agree with you about Dale Davis - I'd LOVE to have him on this team. I don't think Wallace is as talented as any of our current frontcourt players.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Given what Nelson just said in the press conference, this minute distribution and rotation sounds reasonable:

Fortson 20 - Bradley 20
Nowitzki 35 - Jamison 30
Walker 35 - Howard 15
Finley 33 - Delk 15
Nash 30 - Best 18

Old 10-20-2003, 05:13 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

could definitely handle that.
Dirk's minutes will probably be around 42+ in close games ..but, there will be enough blow outs to keep his minutes down.

I'd love to see Bradley on the court 20 minutes a night. Surely he would have to play significant minutes. The mavs need to have their only legit shot blocking presence in the game for considerable minutes night in and night out
Old 10-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Given what Nelson just said in the press conference, this minute distribution and rotation sounds reasonable:

Fortson 20 - Bradley 20
Nowitzki 35 - Jamison 30
Walker 35 - Howard 15
Finley 33 - Delk 15
Nash 30 - Best 18
I rather like this distribution. Like Murphy I would love to see Bradley get 20 minutes a night. Bradley was playing great to start the season last year until Raef came back and stole his minutes. Of course Raef sucked, but Bardley couldn't get back to regular minutes until he had gone cold.

I might take some of Walkers minutes and give them to AJ. At least until Walker proves he won't shoot at a 38% clip from the field.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:34 PM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Fortson 20 - Bradley 20
Nowitzki 35 - Jamison 30
Walker 35 - Howard 15
Finley 33 - Delk 15
Nash 30 - Best 18
i'm confused...this doesn't add up, does it?

Old 10-20-2003, 05:42 PM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Mandy, I think I have about 4 minutes too many out there. Take those 4 away from Fortson. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 05:46 PM   #23
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Mandy, I think I have about 4 minutes too many out there. Take those 4 away from Fortson. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Still it would be nice if we could play 6 on 5 for four minutes a game. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #24
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

As for where the scoring comes from off of the bench, why not Tony Delk? Did he not score 50+ points in a game before? I see him very similar to NVE.

I really like how the minute distrabution could work out. One of the problems for the Mav's last year was injuries and fatigue to their stars. Dirk with his knee/ ankle, Finley with his hamstring, and Nash with wearing down. Now all of them plus the Twan's will get to play less minutes and be very fresh for the playoffs.

With the lineup: by the end of the season I expect nellie to start Dirk, AJ, AW, Finley, and Nash. However, right now I expect Walker to come off of the bench until he gets acclimated with the system. With Nellie nobody ever knows what he is going to do with the lineup, but when you have awesome players like the Mav's do now I think he will find a way to play them all together.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote