Old 10-29-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Mavericks notes, from star telegram

Mavericks Notes
Public bickering surprises Cuban
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES - Mark Cuban doesn't shock easily, but the Mavericks' owner was admittedly taken aback by the dirty laundry aired in the latest Shaquille O'Neal-Kobe Bryant feud. It's not what was said -- though that was nasty enough -- but the fact it was aired in the first place that surprised Cuban.

"When the kids throw Cheerios at each other," Cuban said, "Mom should have disciplined them before they got to the table."

Cuban didn't want to criticize the Lakers' organization directly, but said he wouldn't tolerate similar behavior on his team.

"If we had two guys that feuded publicly, I'd be mad at myself," he said. "We're not going to hope it just goes away."

Adding a big man

The Mavericks have an open spot on the roster, and coach Don Nelson made no secret of his desire to fill it with another center. Shawn Bradley, who isn't close to 100 percent because of off-season knee surgery, is the only true center on the roster.

"We continue to look for another big man," Nelson said. "We know we're thin there."

One problem: No one is out there. The Mavericks will trade for a center if one becomes available that they feel will be helpful. But there aren't any deals on the table.

"We're not aggressively looking to make something happen," said president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

Golden State return

Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson return to their old stamping grounds for tonight's game at Golden State. The two had very different careers with the Warriors.

"It'll be different going back to Oakland and being in the visitor's locker room," said Jamison, a career 20-point scorer during five years with Golden State. "If it wasn't for my time there, I probably wouldn't have become the player I am today."

Fortson doesn't feel the same way.

He wasn't part of the Warriors' plans last season, and said the season was a waste as a result.

"They know what they had," Fortson said. "Now that they have everyone banged up, I'm sure they wish they had another big body."

Old 10-29-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavericks notes, from star telegram

Taken from the DMN. Who exactly are they hoping becomes available? Are they looking for a 2nd-3rd string center for help or someone who may start?

Still searching for big-man help

The Mavericks insist they like their team, but that isn't keeping them from scouring the far reaches for a center.

Coach Don Nelson said that none of the big men who have been waived in the last few days around the NBA have piqued the Mavericks' interest. Tyrone Hill, Travis Knight, Hakeem Olajuwon and others are available. But none of them are realistic fixes for the Mavericks.

"We continue to look for another big man, because we know we're light there," Nelson said.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

I wonder if there are some serviceable centers with a relatively low buy out clause in Europe. That is where I would be looking if they wanted something immediately. Otherwise, deal with what they have right now until the trade deadline.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
"We continue to look for another big man, because we know we're light there," Nelson said.
Why when Nellie won't even use the center he has on his roster. Nellie so damn stubborn that he'd sit the games best shot blocker in blocks per minutes despite a layup drill by the other team. Why do we need another big man? So the fans will have something else to bitch and moan about when Nellie doesn't play him either and elects to go with a 6'6" baked potato as center?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

In all fairness, LRB, and I think you mentioned this in another thread....Shawn's leg still isn't right from the off season surgery. At the Fan Jam scrimmage, that was REAL apparent...and Shawn didn't even play much in that one.

IMO, we're goin to be in deep shit when Fortson doesn't pan out...and I continue to believe that he won't. I've seen him play too much in previous years...and he's not going to do it, IMO. We DO need another center...

One game does not a season make, especially against Shaq, but mark my words...Fortson is going to be a big disappointment here.

Get Well Shawn.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I can understand that Shawn isn't 100%.
However, if he's well enough to play 4 minutes during garbage time, then I believe you have to at least take a chance and put him in there when the game actually matters (even if it's just for 5-10 minutes). A one legged shawn bradley would have been a better option when Shaq went out than what the Mavs put on the floor defensively. Hell, let's be realistic.. It's not like lateral quickness and vertical leap are a part of his game.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 02:53 PM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I agree with you Murph...I actually kept waiting and waiting and waiting for Shawn to come in the game. He could have given us a few more minutes. And I would xpect that they would have been much different than Fortson's...this guy's always had stone hands and always will. Did anyone notice that last night ?

We do need some time to jell, I'm not really upset at anyone after one game...I guess the only thing that bothered me was that it just didn't look like many guys showed up to play...c'mon, this was opening night in the NBA...that's got to get your adreneline up if you're a player.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:59 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
In all fairness, LRB, and I think you mentioned this in another thread....Shawn's leg still isn't right from the off season surgery. At the Fan Jam scrimmage, that was REAL apparent...and Shawn didn't even play much in that one.

IMO, we're goin to be in deep shit when Fortson doesn't pan out...and I continue to believe that he won't. I've seen him play too much in previous years...and he's not going to do it, IMO. We DO need another center...

One game does not a season make, especially against Shaq, but mark my words...Fortson is going to be a big disappointment here.

Get Well Shawn.
OP I agree that Shawn probably isn't 100%. I still would have like to seen him take his 4 minutes during a more significant part of the game. Maybe he's not up to playing 24 minutes now, but I would liked to at least have put him out there and see if he could make a difference.

Fortson is at best a sometimes useful gimmick. He's not mobile. He doen't have the height to keep players from shooting over him without help. He can rebound, but his offensive rebounds are mostly wasted because he can't finish at the basket and usually doesn't pass the ball back out. He's an offensive liability. He has no postup game. Do driving game. No jumper. He shoots FT's as bad as Shaq. He's not a passer. He can body people on D and block out. But we need more on the floor. He's good for a few spot minutes and giving fouls.

One game doesn't make a season, but if Nellie refuses to use Shawn all year it will be a very long and tedious season for us mavs fans.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Totally true, LRB.

Add this: We need someone who can block some shots. Last night's performance, in that regard, was ridiculous, and I don't see it getting better with Fortson in there. There's a reason why he didn't play in GS and it wasn't just the constant injuries.

Wow, 3 rebounds...No wonder Nellie fell in love with him.

I said it at the time of the trade and will continue to say it....Fortson is no answer to ANYTHING.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:00 PM   #10
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Shawn at full speed might have helped last night. But Shawn at half speed (or whatever speed he is) wouldn't have helped at all. Nellie gave him a few minutes just to get some work in.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind fortson as an extra rebounder when the mavs are playing a team without a great inside presence.

but, he might be the worst interior defender on the team.. so, i don't see him being of much use when the mavs play a team with a capable inside presence (other than 6 fouls if necessary)
Old 10-29-2003, 04:03 PM   #12
warriorsfan

warriorsfan is on a distinguished road

outletpass: fortson did not play for golden state because exactly as you say he has limited potential, and the warriors were a rebuilding team that wanted to play it's up and coming players instead. THe injury thing was just roster manipulation while fortson waited to be traded. Amazing he kept quiet all year and didn't cause trouble with the situation. It was reallly odd, but guess he didn't want to lessen his trade value.
warriorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:07 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

why does shawn need to be at full speed?
he can hop on one leg as fast as he can move with two..and he doesn't jump to block shots. He's just as tall with one good leg as he is with two.

plus, with one good leg, he still moves better than fortson..
Old 10-29-2003, 04:41 PM   #14
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Mavericks notes, from star telegram

I've said this in other threads... this team will not improve significantly on the defensive end until they have a shotblacking presence in the lane. No mater how good your perimeter defense is NBA players can get to the cup. The question is all about what they can do when they get there... if they get their shot rejected in their face they will be less likely to go back to the cup. If they get a layup... expect a layup drill.

The Mavs are not unique in this regard. Take Shaq out of the lane (like thw Mavs did periodically last night) and the Mavs shoot 2-footers as well... Remove Duncan, Wallace, Mourning, Ratliff, Garnett, Mutumbo, Bradley, Shaq, or any other interior force from their position defending the bucket & you will see the same thing.

If Bradley can't play either because of injury, conditioning, foul trouble, offensive talent, soft-ness or whatever, then the Mavs need to be looking for someone to fill the void. You can't expect Finley, Jamison, Walker, Delk, Dirk, Steve, or anyone else to show major improvement until they get some help.

Personally, of the available big men, I think Ratliff would help.... but I don't know enough about his health, and I'm not an expert to the extent I fully understand the upside of Ratliff over Bradley...

Camby might also help... but obviously he's always hurt.

Dampier / Foyle won't happen - we've already fleeced GS

Ilgauskas, in my opinion, can't play in the Mavs' system plus he doesn't play defense

Antonio Davis doesn't block shots

Dale Davis doesn't really either

Stromile Swift is too short & plays PF

One name to watch out for.... <cringe> Ostertag

Our favorite hometown underachiever blocked about 3.6 shots/48 min last year & played well down the stretch. He's also in the last year of his contract at $8.6MM

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:07 PM   #15
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dampier / Foyle won't happen - we've already fleeced GS
We won't be able to trade with GS again, but Foyle will be a free agent this summer. He'll probably command about the mid-level exception. He's got size, and he blocks shots-- might be a good pick up.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote