Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-30-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default The official: Howard Watch: Thread

i saw some preseason games, but i was simply not prepared to see the kid relaxed, smooth, and smart out there on the floor. In the L.A. game he got garbage minutes, and he even managed to imprese me then, but against Golden State he logged a lot of minutes, and he produced withou making stupid rookie mistakes. Howard is a perfect example of why college as an NBA prep league is so important and still works despite a few freak high school phenoms. Howard was the first unanimous ACC player of the year in over 20 years . . . how did he fall to 29? probobly because he was a senior, and a few questions about his long range jumper were raised. But he is athletic, penatrates exeptionally well, can play the 2 or 3 position, is 6'7", and has a very good midrange jumper . . . remind you of anybody??? He is Findawgs replacement, not only that he has already outplayed Finley in the 2 measly games we have played? significant enough to alter the starting line-up? no. But, Howard has made a strong case for more minutes despite our excellent and deep bench, and if we get in the midst of another "Finley Funk" Nelson already knows where to go.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:The official: Howard Watch: Thread

Excellent point.

As a long time mavs fan, it is hard to admit that the once number one maverick has diminishing skills. How far he has fallen is a matter of debate. Is it better to keep him around or trade him?

I say until we see Howard for one whole NBA year, we reserve judgement on whether he is truly Finley's replacement.

I agree he needs more minutes this year.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

I agree, Finley should be given the benifit of the doubt this season and maybe even the next, its striking how much Howard reminds me of a young Finpup for all of the above mentioned reasons.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Having lived through so many dismal mavs draft picks in the late 80's, it's nice to know they can get such a gem as J Ho at number 29.

Genius pick!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Having lived through so many dismal mavs draft picks in the late 80's, it's nice to know they can get such a gem as J Ho at number 29.

Genius pick!
actually, King, it was an obvious pick....very few draft "experts" thought JHo would still be there at 29...and since Finley is 30, a new and cheap #2 should be in our future....I don't think we will ever be the star finley was...but after a couple years of learning from Fin, I bet he'll be a shut down player...and have a nice shot to go along with his great "D"!...I don't think he'll need the shots that Fin does, but he is one of those guys who can do a little of just about everything.....and can do one thing excellently...DEFENSE!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #6
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Finley was a low first rounder as well and wasn't labeled as a "star" by the "experts". . . and this pick was far from obvious Lampe was still out there as well, but you are right Sike we are lucky he fell so far
Old 10-30-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
Finley was a low first rounder as well and wasn't labeled as a "star" by the "experts". . . and this pick was far from obvious Lampe was still out there as well, but you are right Sike we are lucky he fell so far
Finley was taken what?..17th???? I can't remember..

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-30-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Fin was taken 21st.

Howard's the only player on the Mavs that was drafted by the mavs, isn't he?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:07 PM   #9
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

any of yall see bron bron last night? man he looked really good out there ..I couldnt get the mavs game cuz of that damn freekin sports show, anyways, I'm delighted with what ive seen of howard's game so far, he's an ingratiating player on offense and tough on D. I'm thrilled we have him..he'll be a good replacement for findog in the later years...if we dont trade him away that is

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
any of yall see bron bron last night? man he looked really good out there ..I couldnt get the mavs game cuz of that damn freekin sports show, anyways, I'm delighted with what ive seen of howard's game so far, he's an ingratiating player on offense and tough on D. I'm thrilled we have him..he'll be a good replacement for findog in the later years...if we dont trade him away that is
yes Dirken...this has all been said...read the previous posts...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

just throwin in my insight..gotta show that love [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM   #12
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

It's a freaking joke that Howard was as low as 29th in the draft. He could have easily cracked Top 20 and should have been Top 15 IMO.

The Mavs 2 spot is set for many years.

Oh, and Howard is awesome, even for a rookie.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:53 AM   #13
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

sprained ankle, that sucks . . . doubtful for sat.