Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-23-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

RCF said something on the other board, I'm curious as to who people think are their top 10 players?

Here are mine...

1. Shaq
2. Duncan
3. Jason Kidd
4. Gary Payton (still gets it done)
5. Iverson
6. Kobe (I can't stand him, but the dude is simply phenomenal)
7. Dirk
8. Garnett
9. Vince Carter
10. Tracy McGrady

Right now this is who my top 10 would be..
Old 01-23-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

My list:
1. Shaq
2. Shaq, I cheat and give him the first two spots because I believe he is that much beter than anyone else
3. Duncan
4. McGrady
5. Kobe
6. Garnett
7. Dirk
8. Kidd
9. Payton
10. Webber

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
realclipsfan
Banned

realclipsfan is on a distinguished road

1.shaq
2.garnett
3.duncan
4.webber
5.kobe
6.kidd
7.iverson
8.mcgrady
9.carter
10.payton
11.jordan
12.malone
13.paul pierce
14.antoine walker
15.elton brand

that's my top 15 players.
realclipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:18 PM   #4
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Shaq
Duncan
Kidd
McGrady
Dirk
KG
Payton
Pierce
Kobe
Carter
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:56 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

What's the obsession with Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce? Neither one of those guys shoots 40% from the field. THat's horrible. The fact that the Celtics haven't self destructed is a testament to the other players on the team who obviously get paid to pass up their open shots so that Walker and Pierce can shoot fadeaway three's. Also, Vince Carter is just a younger version of Stackhouse.

Shaq
Duncan
Garnett
Kidd
Kobe
Dirk
Webber
Payton
Iverson
Ray Allen
Old 01-23-2002, 02:22 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Darn it I forgot Pierce. I put him 9 on my list and bumo the other two down. Pierce is a terrific player. As far as his shooting he 44% from the field, and 41% fro three. Pretty respectable, throw in 26 points a game, 7 boards, 3.5 assists, 2 steals and a block, and you have one of the best all around players in the league IMHO. Now as far as Walker I agree, yeah he scores and rebounds and assists, but he can't shoot. One of the most overated players in the NBA I believe.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #7
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

1.Shaq (ugh, I hate his game but it's true)
2.TD
3.KG
4.Dirk
5.Kobe
6.C-webb
7.Iverson (can't stand him, but the thug has talent)
8.VC
9.T-Mac (not Todd MacCulloch)
10.Kidd
hon ment:Nash
and Andre Miller<<(highly underrated all-around player stuck on a bad team)
Old 01-23-2002, 02:44 PM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

side note:

rcf, if you honestly think Dirk is'nt a top 15 player you're basketball opinions are worthless.

he was third team all-NBA last year so by default he is a top 15 player.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:59 PM   #9
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

1. Shaq (I only put him here b/c the league insists on allowing him to stay in the lane for 48 minutes per game and bowl people over).
2. Garnett
3. Iverson
4. Duncan
5. Jordan
6. CWebb
7. Ray Allen
8. Kobe (Arrogant SOB)
9. Pierce
10. Dirk

I think it's a joke you guys aren't putting MJ in your Top 10.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:22 PM   #10
Rod1975
Golden Member

Hales, he's simply not the player he once was...

If it were a top 10 all-time list, then he would be right at the top.

It's for the same reason that Malone is'nt in the top ten anymore.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:25 PM   #11
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Rod, You bring up a great idea for another thread (Top 10 of All-Time)...i'll have to do some research first...
Old 01-23-2002, 03:26 PM   #12
realclipsfan
Banned

the #'s speak for themself with walker. it's to much damn biasness over on this board as to who's where. the top 15 i put down are probably everyone else's too. everyone with the exception of brand maybe, ok i was bias on that 1. but everyone else on that list is deserving of the spot. walker or pierce isnt shooting that bad from the 3pt arc, they are right there with dirk and walker shoots it more. you cant just say he is a bad shooter, you guys dont watch many celtics game obviously. i remember the long 3pter he took to beat the knicks AT madison sq garden. im sure if you were to go to everyone of these players' team board they will put there guy int he top 10. so on a mavs board, it's a waste of time. i thought maybe you guys would be honest with yourself and put the leagues top 10 list rather than been bias with your favorite teams best player(arguably)
Old 01-23-2002, 03:28 PM   #13
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Here is mine...

1. Shaq
2. Duncan
3. Kidd
4. Garnett
5. Nowitzki
6. Kobe
7. Iverson
8. McGrady
9. Francis
10. Carter
11. Webber
12. Pierce
13. Jordan
14. Allen
15. Stoyakovich
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 03:32 PM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

RCF like GRB said, now I can understand someone saying Pierce because he is developing into some player, but Walker just GUNS the ball. He's a good rebounder though, but other than that he just jacks the ball up. He and Pierce both. For the most part people had very similar lists just with people interchangeable. ANY of these players on people's list if they shot the ball as much as Walker and Pierce they would be scoring a TON of points. oooops I forgot, Iverson does and look what he does. He's hands down a better player than those two and he shoots just as pathetic but scores MANY MORE BASKETS doing it too.

Hales, I thought about Jordan but right now, I just can't say that the 10 I chose I would rather have him instead of them. NOW that's AMAZING I even fixed my mouth to say that, but it's the truth right now. However as Rod said, of all time, without question, he's number 1 on my list!

Followed closely by Magic and Bird.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:34 PM   #15
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

If you are going to dis Pierce for his shooting percentage, you certainly can't put Iverson on your top 10 list. Somebody is carrying that team and I know its not Walker.

As for Jordan, he's not a top 10 player anymore. That should be obvioius. He's very good. He's great for a 38 year old player, but he doesn't have the stamina to play at the top of his game for more than 20, 30 minutes. Everybody else on these lists is capable of dominating a game for 40+.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:45 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

I'm not dissing Pierce for his shooting, I'm saying he PUTS THE BALL UP ALOT more than most of the people on this list with the exception of Iverson. He and Walker both.. In my opinion, I'm saying Pierce is the better of the two because he's really elevated his game this year and it's showing from a record standpoint...

I will give Walker credit though, he's not interfering with Pierce's emergence......... Oops I'm not suppose to give credit to him because that's considered giving credit where it's not suppose to be given..
Old 01-23-2002, 03:52 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

I was writing my reply while you were writing yours Kid. My post wasn't in response to yours at all but to ocelot_ark who slammed Pierce then put Iverson on his list.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:00 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

1. Shaq
2. Duncan
3. Kobe
4. Garnett
5. Jordan
6. Kidd
7. Payton
8. Iverson
9. Carter
10. Dirk

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:10 PM   #19
realclipsfan
Banned

look at walkers stats fellas. he has better #'s than dirk, and A WHOLE HELLUVA lot of others too
Old 01-23-2002, 05:30 PM   #20
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Let's see

PPG: Dirk 24.4, Walker 22.9.
FG%: Dirk .474, Walker .391
3P%: Dirk .393, Walker .358
FT%: Dirk .850, Walker .744
rpg: Dirk 9.5, Walker 9.7
apg: Dirk 2.1, Walker 5.2
bpg: Dirk .95, Walker .5
spg: Dirk .78, Walker 1.25
to: Dirk 1.58 Walker 3.23

and then team record
Dirk 30-12 in the West, Walker 24-16 in the East

So Dirk scores more points and does so while shooting better from the field, from 3 pt and from the 3 point line. Walker does get .2 more rebounds per game but considering how many more shots he misses and rebounds he makes available, I'm not sure you can call even that a plus for Walker.

In other news, Walker does average 3 more assists than dirk and half-a steal. Of course he also turns over the ball almost 2 more times a game. And Dirk has twice as many blocks.

I normally ignore you RCF, but when its so easy to demonstrate your ignorance, I couldn't resist. The *only* stats where Walker has a clear advantage over Dirk is assists & steals, but even that advantage is pretty small when you factor in his turnovers. Meanwhile Dirk is clearly at a whole other level as an offensive player than Walker.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:36 PM   #21
TheKid
Diamond Member

good job meister..
Old 01-23-2002, 08:27 PM   #22
realclipsfan
Banned

ONCE AGAIN HOOP THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELF. HE IS AN BETTER REBOUNDER, PASSER, DEFENDER BUT DIRK IS SLIGHTLY A BETTER SCORER AND THAT IS BY 1.5 POINTS. THEKID AND EVERYONE ELSE THE NUMBERS ARE RIGHT THERE, THEY SPEAK FOR THEMSELF.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:29 PM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I somewhat retract my statement about Pierce. He is shooting an INCREDIBLE 43.9% from the field. Last time I checked he was shooting around 40%, or atleast I thought. That lead to my hasty decision. Nevertheless, he's not top 10. I watch some Celts games 'cause I went to Arkansas with Joe Johnson. Paul forces WAY too many shots. It's just Stackhouse type stuff. He's definitely got more talent, but he forces too much. Walker does the same type stuff, only he's no where near as talented as Pierce, so he can't raise that shooting %.

I put Iverson on my list basically because he IS the Sixers. He still shoots 40 or 41%, but I can understand your argument Hoopsmeister.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] simply Dirk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote