Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 12-02-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Finley for Van Exel

Quote:
Originally posted by: Captain Disaster
I actually agree with both of the last two posts to a certain degree; I'm also not necessarily in love with Van Exel. And yes, I recognize both player's shortcomings. And yes, I realize that this trade is just fantasy. However, I'm still highly disappointed in Finley despite LRB's excellent post. Finley's stongest feature is free throw shooting IMO, what he needs to do is: GET TO THE LINE. If he went to the hole with authority consistently, the Mavericks would be a MUCH BETTER team. He continues to jack up shots ala Walker. Earlier in his career, Fin DID go to the hole, and his FG% benefitted as well. I'm not sure if he doesn't go to the hole because:

1. He's developed a bad habit of settling for jumpers.
2. He's a step slower and/or less explosive.
3. His ballhandling skills have declined.
4. He fears contact.
5. He has less stamina.

Or some other reason? I still like Finley, & believe it or not, I would hate to see him go, but he's been very painful to watch for awhile now, and since basketball is a business, there may come a time when he has to go UNLESS he can turn it around quickly. The window of opportunity for a championship will not last forever.

1. Fin did have to develop the habit of settling for jumpers because for several years he was it for the Mavs. And the lanes were clogged. It is hard to break well established habits. Still I've see Fin being more agressive in a higher percentage of his scoring oppotunities. Would I like to see him more aggressive? Yes, but he is making the effort. And slowly but surely he's beigining to get that jumper back. Fin's role though isn't to take it to the basket every 3rd or 4th possession. If he did that, then he'd be failing at his job. Still there is room to improve within his role.

2. Players tend to slow down as they get older. A very unfortunate fact of life. Fin is still quick for the NBA, just not as quick as he was. He can still explode, just does it less. Again that's age. Even happened to MJ, and I'm talking about while the Bulls had the run of the NBA.

3. I strongly disagree with you here. I actually think that Mike has gotten better this year in that aspect. He's doing more than in years past. Still it's frustrating at times wishing that his handles were up to speed with most of the rest of his game. But I do think he's gotten better not worse.

4. I wouldn't say that he fears contact. He just knows that he's human and can be injured. It's more wisdom than fear. Players in their youth tend to attack the basket with reckless abandon believing they are immortal and can't be hurt. As they age, they learn that they can. Fin still will seek out contact, just not like in his youthful days.

5. Players lose stamina as they age. This isn't all bad. We have some excellent rookies waiting in the wings desperate for minutes. Having Fin take a few more breathers doesn't really hurt us like in years past and will help us in years to come. Of course Fin is playing more and better D. That's much more tiring than just playing O primarily.

As for Fin turning it around, he's still one of the better shooting guards in the league. We don't need him to be Kobe or TMac, just very good will do especially if he plays D. And if we lose Fin, then who do we get to replace him? If he's no good to us, then who would want him? Remember that the Mavs care less about exorbitant salaries than probably any other team in the league. Pluse how do we replace Fin's leadership in helping this unprecedented collection of stars to swallow their collective egos and jell as a team?

Long and short is that Fin is far more valuable to the Mavs than to any other team. So logic dicates that we'd get less than his present value by trading him. So why do it? Not for the money. We'd have to take equal money back in trade. While we might get a shorter contract in therory, why would any other team which admitedly cares more about the cap and money do this? IMO they won't. So we gain a good deal keeping Fin, and stand to lose if we trade him.

Do we cut off our nose to spite our face?