Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of
Default The Mavs only Hope

The Mavs only hope this season is for Nellie to play Bradley at least 30 minutes a game? Drastic changes are needed and Bradley must be in the game the majority of the time for things to really change for the Mavs. Bradley is well rested and can easily sustain 20 games of playing heavy minutes from here on out. Also, it is time for Nellie and Donnie to understand that Walker just isn't very good and shouldn't play more than 20 minutes a game. Anybody agree?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:The Mavs only Hope

Bookit, I'd be happy if the Mavs simply started Bradley and played him consistently. 30 minutes, well, I'm not sure he could go that long without fouling out. Our perimeter defense is so atrocious that he can't possibly turn back every opponent attacking the rim. At least he can turn back a bunch of them before fouling out, though.

I'd rather the Mavs play Shawn each game the rest of the season until he fouls out than continue to underutilize him.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #3
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I'd rather the Mavs play Shawn each game the rest of the season until he fouls out than continue to underutilize him.

Exactly. Something has to change and change right now. Bradley seems to be the only hope right now. Nellie should just keep him in the game regardless of how many fouls he has. He should explain to him that he isn't coming out and focus on limiting your fouls. I probably won't work but you never know. Bradley seems to change the game when he is on the floor.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: The Mavs only Hope

The Zone experiment must end on the double.

Here's your drastic change.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
CenS

CenS is on a distinguished road

bradley should get more minutes...hard to hear me say that, but this is true. However the rst of the mavs just need to stop being turnstyles. shouldn't you step up if your coach (a non defensive coach) calls you a turnstyle? It boggles the mind.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Bookit
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
The Zone experiment must end on the double.

Here's your drastic change.
Yep, there is a reason opposing teams murder the Mavs from the 3 point line. Scrap the zone and tell the players to play some man on man for a change.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see the Mavs start a lineup of Nash, Fin, Jho/AJ, Dirk, and Williams. Scott seems to be the most well-rounded, least specialized center so he's the one I'd feel safest starting against anyone. Walker is a needless defensive liability at starting SF and only rarely plays the kind of offense the team needs to start games I don't have a problem with him backing up the PF spot, or playing some SF when either AJ or JHo are having an ineffective night. Bradley should also get considerable use, pretty much all six fouls worth every night. It's really inexcusable that he's become so neglected.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

A Coaching change might do it. Byron Scott was doing a good job and was a talented coach but the Nets got somewhat back on track when they put in Frank.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

I heard on the radio calling the mavs defense the "ole" defense, as in a bull fighter moving out of the way so the bull can pass....I think it sums up our D pretty well

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'm one of the few guys who support Walker on this board but I think you have to have either Bradley or Scott Williams in there. I prefer Scott for his banging ability on the defensive end. I leave Jamison in the lineup for being an instant bucket inside.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

"Help me OB-Shawn, you're my only hope"

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #12
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Nellie and Shawn? Bad combination. Bradley will never get any significant PT as long as Nellie is a coach. Bradley get no love yesterday. 5 mins of PT on his 32nd birthday.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: DNNF
Nellie and Shawn? Bad combination. Bradley will never get any significant PT as long as Nellie is a coach. Bradley get no love yesterday. 5 mins of PT on his 32nd birthday.
Because we were trailing and to top it off we were getting beat from the outside more than the inside. How many threes? 11? There is nothing Bradley can do about that.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:14 PM   #14
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Jamison is completely underutilized also. He's been dropping 14+ ppg off the bench, just think what he'd be able to do as a starter. He also has one of the best FG %'s on the team at .519. Najera should see more minutes, also. In terms of Shawn Bradley, he's a great defensive player, but since he can't drop 50 on any given night and hit consistent 3-ball after 3-ball, idioto Don Nelson will never give him significant playing time. He'd make a good starter, but Nelson doesn't care about defense... we've already been over that. And Walker would be better a lot of the time if he were a bench player, because we could utilize his rebounding skills without wasting trips down the court with his forced shots. Basically, most of the team's problems lie in the shoot-first, defend later mentality of Don Nelson.

I'd like to see this starting lineup:

Nash/Daniels
Finley
Jamison/Howard
Nowitzki
Bradley/Fortson

with Najera subbing in at PF and C whenever needed or another C is in foul trouble. I'd like to see this guy play at least 20+ minutes every game from here on out.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:53 AM   #15
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Does anybody remember how great Bradley played under Jim Cleamons? He was energized and motivated. How many people on this board know that Bradley has put up 20/20 games? Nellie comes in and promptly lowers the expectations of Bradley and, hence, lowers his production. This is a very common response in human nature. Expect more, get more. Expect less, get less. If I was Bradley, I wouldn't be very motivated, either.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:11 AM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anybody remember how great Bradley played under Jim Cleamons? How many people on this board know that Bradley has put up 20/20 games?
I for one, remember Bradley's 20-20 games, numerous triple-doubles, and multiple shot-blocking titles. But unfortunately, I also remember that all of that impressive production and dominance occurred during the Don Nelson Era of Maverick's basketball.

Big #44 never actually played for Cleamons, because it was Mr. Nelson who effected the largest trade in NBA history (back in 97-98, if memory serves) to pick up Shawn Bradley (along with Ed O'Bannon and other assorted roster trash), after the Perot group had kicked Jim Cleamons and his broken-triangle offense to the curb.

That said, I do heartily appreciate your support for Big #44, even if it is based upon faulty assumptions...
Old 03-24-2004, 01:20 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

thats what is so strange about Nellie's chip on his shoulder. Bradley isnt a relic from a previous era- he's a guy that Nelson helped bring in.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote