Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-25-2003, 12:06 AM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default Time changes

I voted "yes".

Our government hasn't demostrated with enough evidence that the change of time has helped to save electricity and money.

I'm not in favor of changing the time because Mexico's latitudes aren't as far of the equator to make big differences in the habits of electricity consuming in the morning and the evening.

But I was surprised to see what Americans think about it. I thought it could be more evident for them (you) the benefits being more close to the North pole, receiving the sun rays more inclined, thus having a shorter day (compared to the night) in winter than us.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:08 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Time changes

Down with Daylight Savings Time!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 12:16 AM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Time changes

I like it whenever I get an extra hour of sleep. I hate when I have to cut back an hour of sleep though.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:20 AM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I hate the damn time change. It's unnecessary and needs to go away.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:24 AM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I use that excuse all the time on my boss.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. This is a deal for Arizona farmers and the like. It's not for us.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:42 AM   #7
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Is it tonight then?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #8
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

It's Saturday night, isn't it?

I once had a nightmare that I missed a midterm b/c I forgot to change the time. So I asked my dad when it was & it turned out to be that week. It was a sign.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #9
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Daylight savings RULES!
It's darker in the morning and lighter at night.
It's wonderful walking around in warm daylight at 8pm.

Wow..i just said something positive about summer, it must really
be a good thing.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:13 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
It's Saturday night, isn't it?

I once had a nightmare that I missed a midterm b/c I forgot to change the time. So I asked my dad when it was & it turned out to be that week. It was a sign.
....because you missed a midterm?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:19 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. This is a deal for Arizona farmers and the like. It's not for us.

Actually Arizona doesn't do the time changes. But it's not worth moving to Arizona for IMO even though I hate the damn time changes.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:08 PM   #12
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
...because you missed a midterm?
B/c I might have missed it. I had zero clue it was coming up. I really think this happens to people in college a lot b/c now they send out campuswide emails & post signs up in the elevators.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

cool...i didn't know this. but, it's estimated that daylight savings time saves the U.S. 1% in energy costs by limiting the need for 'artificial' light
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #14
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

So the rest of the world can't criticize us for using so much energy!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:15 AM   #15
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
cool...i didn't know this. but, it's estimated that daylight savings time saves the U.S. 1% in energy costs by limiting the need for 'artificial' light
Well I estimate that it costs us millions each year in maintaing inherently more complex programming algorithms to deal the complexities of this biannual change. And I think that the 1% energy savings estimate is FOS. I'd love to see their documentation.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:50 AM   #16
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
it costs us millions each year in maintaing inherently more complex programming algorithms to deal the complexities of this biannual change.
Not to mention all the productivity lost when people are trying to adapt to the new time; several hundred million dollars in just a couple of weeks.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Here it is again. d@mmit I lose an extra hour of sleep again. On a positive note mavs games will start an hour before.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:45 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

This whole thing makes me laugh with irony.

Last night some "experts" from a -obscure- Government's energy department were giving an interview about the benefits of the change.

SHEESH! WE HAD THIS TIME -the summer time- WHEN THEY STARTED THE DAYLIGHT SAVING PROGRAM A DECADE AGO! We don't need to be convinced about a time that we used and liked.

I mean, they are using now the same arguments that used for the change at Autumn, the time that we didn't have and don't like, but worst of it, they are using the same arguments now when THE CHANGE OF TIME IS BEING MADE TO THE OPPOSITE BEARING compared to October!

Either they think the citizens are dummies, or they really don't understand the whole process of the relative movements of the Sun and Earth and are defending the change only following orders.

But this is just hilarious: the same government changes the start time of schools in order to have the same -physical, natural- start time that before the change! Then why to change the time when themselves don't believe in it?! This is incredible.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ok, when you turn your clocks back, everybody loves it cause you get an extra hour of sleep.

but when you set them forward, everybody hates it cause you lose an hour of sleep. well, my friend and i came up with a great idea. since the time change is really at an arbitrary time, why not make it on a friday at 4 PM? That way, it hits 4 PM, move forward to 5 PM... everyone goes home! yeah, productivity may be lost, but everyone will be happy.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #20
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
ok, when you turn your clocks back, everybody loves it cause you get an extra hour of sleep.

but when you set them forward, everybody hates it cause you lose an hour of sleep. well, my friend and i came up with a great idea. since the time change is really at an arbitrary time, why not make it on a friday at 4 PM? That way, it hits 4 PM, move forward to 5 PM... everyone goes home! yeah, productivity may be lost, but everyone will be happy.
brilliant!
I was just thinking that the only people who enjoy the spring time change are people on weekend graveyard shifts.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote