Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Philadelphia trade

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)

Dallas receives: SG Allen Iverson (26.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.8 apg in 42.5 minutes)
C Samuel Dalembert (8.0 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 26.8 minutes)

Philadelphia trades: SG Allen Iverson (26.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.8 apg in 42.5 minutes)

Philadelphia receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)

Would Philly give up Dalembert for Howard just to dump A.I 's contract? I have tried to find ways to sweeten the deal for Philly, but we can't trade Daniels and the rest of our valuable players have lengthy contracts that kill Philly's incentive to dump A.I. Any suggestions?

Dallas does the trade to get Dalembert. I would then look to trade Fin, but trading Nash is also a possibility, although I shudder to think about AI running the offense, so I prefer to trade Fin.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Philadelphia trade

Even though I like Dalembert, I'd be very reluctant to take on AI. If we did this trade, I'd rather move Nash and start AI at the point. To me, that's less of an evil than playing AI and Nash alongside one another. Still, there are a lot of other options that I'd pursue before settling on this one.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Philadelphia trade

I think Philly is more likely to keep Iverson now than they were a month ago. I would be a little more surprised to see him moved now.

I do think moving Nash and Walker would be the most feasible way to get something done. Is anyone prepared for that?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:55 AM   #4
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

No Iverson, thanks. He needs the ball even more than Walker and he's a selfish plyer (at least for me).

We would be never winning a championship.

Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I get a kick out of this thread.

FJ, you're talking about it like we'd have to think twice about this deal.

The Sixers aren't giving you Iverson unless you're giving up Nash, Walker, a No. 1 and probably another piece.

And they certainly aren't going to throw in Dalembert. They're keeping him.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all
Default RE: Philadelphia trade

I do it in a heartbeat, but that trade isn't going to happen. In spite of his fg% Iverson has mroe value than that.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

You could sweeten the deal by trading Nash (Nash & Iverson can't play in the same backcourt, anyway, IMHO. Iverson needs to play with a big point--like Daniels?) and taking back McCollough--who isn't likely ever to play again (sort of a mini-Grant Hill [as to salary]). This deal works currently:

Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
PG Steve Nash (14.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 8.8 apg in 33.5 minutes)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Allen Iverson (26.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.8 apg in 42.5 minutes)
SG Todd MacCulloch (26.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.8 apg in 42.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.7 ppg, -5.5 rpg, and -7.7 apg.

Philadelphia trades: SG Allen Iverson (26.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.8 apg in 42.5 minutes)
SG Todd MacCulloch (26.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 6.8 apg in 42.5 minutes)
Philadelphia receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
PG Steve Nash (14.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 8.8 apg in 78 games)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.7 ppg, +5.5 rpg, and +7.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

But won't once Nash is resigned at a higher number. Once that happens, then there would be Base Year issues (likely) and we'd have to take back some high priced talent (Glenn Robinson, anyone?) and maybe add in some lower cost players to make it all work. In the end, you'd probably end up with a trade that is essentially Nash-Walker-Howard for Iverson-Robinson-Dalembert. I don't think Philly does it (but it might depend on the fillers and financial matters) and I'm far from sure it makes Dallas better.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are going to have to trade alot of low percentage shooters in return for AI to make this trade work with Philly. They wouldn't know what to do if they were to receive an efficient player in return.

So, the Mavs should package Finley from 2002-2003, Walker from any season, Courtney Alexander, and Tony Dumas.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Well, Dumas is a free agent, but I think New Orleans still has Alexander's rights. So we'd have to work out a three-way deal.

How about including Walter Bond (I think that's the guy) who played for the Mavs about 20 years ago. "You get Walter 20 shots and Walter will get you 20 points".
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Well, Dumas is a free agent, but I think New Orleans still has Alexander's rights. So we'd have to work out a three-way deal.

How about including Walter Bond (I think that's the guy) who played for the Mavs about 20 years ago. "You get Walter 20 shots and Walter will get you 20 points".
Bond might be a good idea. Philadelphia will likely want a big man. Dexter Cambridge and Doug Smith could be moved to fill the void left by Dalembert.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Reasons why philly would never do this: they could get a lot more for AI and Dalembert
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:04 AM   #12
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
FJ, you're talking about it like we'd have to think twice about this deal.
No, that wasn't me. I never said anything close to that. I never expressed any reservations over my trade. This is without a doubt a no brainer deal for the Mavs, and the Sixers would be insane to make this trade. That's why I was asking for ways to sweeten it. Walker is one of the best targets for teams looking to dump a large, long contract, and if Philly wants to dump AI on someone, they may have to give up something valuable like Dalembert. Mabye the Mavs could be involved in a three way? I don't think its probable that we get Dalembert, but I don't think its necesarily impossible.

What the Mavs would need to think twice about would be giving up Nash. I might be on board with this even though Iverson is not one of my favorite players. Iverson's defense might be worth the efficency drop off in offense, and Daniels could be the ballhandler eventually. Dalembert could be worth the necessary evil of Iverson.

FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote