Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-07-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Orleans trade

The Hornets seem like a team ripe for some serious changes. Floyd is out; Mashburn seems to be likely to follow right behind him. Here's an idea that might make some sense for both teams.

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF PJ Brown (10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)
SF George Lynch (4.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 21.8 minutes)
PG Darrell Armstrong (10.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 28.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.8 ppg, +7.2 rpg, and +2.8 apg.

New Orleans trades: PF PJ Brown (10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)
SF George Lynch (4.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 21.8 minutes)
PG Darrell Armstrong (10.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 28.5 minutes)
New Orleans receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -11.8 ppg, -7.2 rpg, and -2.8 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

The Hornets might do it because if they're moving Mashburn out they're going to need a scoring, all-purpose forward to replace him. Walker fits that description. Also, it removes a bunch of older players from their roster. Further, it gives them cap room if they want to let Walker walk at the end of next year. Walker could be pretty good on that team.

The Mavs' new roster would look like this:

Brown - Bradley
Nowitzki - Fortson - Najera
Jamison - Howard - Lynch
Finley - Daniels
Nash - Armstrong

Personally, I love the idea. The three guys you'd acquire are all solid veterans who defend and know how to play.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:New Orleans trade

I like this trade, KG.

I think the Mavs need more good role players. Brown is one of the best in the business. He thrives on dirty work. Lynch is another guy who does the exact same sort of things. Darrell Armstrong is one of the best backup PGs for Nash. I think he would be a great fit.

I honestly don't know if the Hornets would do this or not, but I might even settle for replacing one of these veteran players with someone the Hornets might be more inclined to part with.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New Orleans trade

I would prefer it if we could get a true center. If we can't then PJ Brown is the kind of guy that you want on your team and in your locker room.

Armstrong is one of the best back up PG's in the league and would definitly fill a need.

NO has to know that they won't win next year in the West so maybe they will invest in the future.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind the trade. Seems to me like it would be a Win for the Mavs. I am not sure that N.O. does it, but it definately works for D.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

A trade with the Hornets and it doesn't include Magloire?
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

I love, love, love this idea. I would still try to swing something for a Ostertag-type center, but I think PJ Brown and George Lynch are the kind of tough "New England Patriots"-type vets we need.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Along these same lines, look for a three-way with Cleveland, New Orleans, and Dallas.

Silas would love Mashburn back. Ilguaskus is the odd man out there.
New Orleans would need a versatile forward to replace Mashburn. Z isn't it. Walker is.
Dallas needs a center instead of all these forwards.

I could easily envision something being worked out that way.

I would prefer someone a little more defensive oriented playing beside Dirk up front, but I wouldn't complain if we got Z. In fact, if we moved Walker for him, I would actually be pleased. The biggest problem is that Z probably isn't athletic enough to play the way this team wants to. I just think it is something that could very well be brought up later this summer...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I'd definitely pull the trigger on this deal. PJ could at least be effective against Duncan, KG, and Yao. I like the way George Lynch plays, hes a lot like Josh howard he can rebound and guard the 1-3 positions on the floor. Darrel Armstrong gives you a solid pg and allows Daniels to play 1-3.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Why don't we trade Dirk for Tractor Trailor? Wait...only an idiot would do that
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I think you've got to add a rookie to that deal. Marquis or Josh. I do it definately but it looks lopsided in favor of the Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I like this trade, but PJ just got locked down for a long time and I think he is already 30something, but he would always be a good bench guy. I think Lynch is worthless, but Armstrong is a great PG.

All the word out of NO is that they love West and would be willing to deal PJ. The one problem in NO would be that we have to sell them on the fact that Walker can play SF after Mashburn leaves. I think the talent is fine, considering the cap relief they would be getting.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #12
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Why don't we trade Dirk for Tractor Trailor? Wait...only an idiot would do that
Ha! Good one.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote