Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Another Dallas/Chicago Trade

Alright, I know everyone has heard a thousand Bulls/Mavs scenarios. You're probably sick of them (with good reason), but you keep hearing them because it makes the most sense. Here is what I consider to be the best deal between the two teams.

Dallas trades: Antoine Walker, Danny Fortson
Dallas receives: Antonio Davis, Tyson Chandler, and Chris Jefferies

Chicago trades: Davis, Chandler, and Jefferies
Chicago receives: Walker and Fortson

Antoine Walker is the veteran leader that the Bulls need. His versatility would change the complexion of the Bulls team in a hurry. In the East, there is no doubt in my mind that he would return to All-Star form, and his contract is an added bonus to the Bulls.

The Bulls have also made no secret of the fact that they want more scrappy players who will do the little things, the dirty work that needs to be done. Danny Fortson is exactly that kind of player. He could do all the dirty work, help that team on the boards, and help shield Eddy Curry. I have always felt that Fortson would be best suited to play beside a legit center. I have also always felt that Curry would be best playing beside someone who could do a lot of the dirty work so he can concentrate on offense. Best of all, Fortson is a Midwestern kid who played college ball at Cincy. It's a good fit. I also think this is a better deal for with Fortson for Chicago than Delk or Najera because Danny's inclusion means that Chicago doesn't lose all their size in one deal.

Dallas gets two big men, one young and one old, to give this team what it has been lacking for some time. Both of the big men are athletic, and neither demands the ball on offense. They thrive being solid role players. I honestly can't think of better fits for the Mavs than these two.

Chris Jefferies is thrown into the deal for one reason. I assume the Bulls would want to unload one more guaranteed contract. Dallas could take him. He either develops here into a defender or he keeps Stefannson and Abdul-Wahad company.

This deal just makes too much sense.

Just for fun, look at the teams and their rotations - if this deal were done.

Dallas:
Davis
Dirk
Jamison
Finley
Nash
Daniels, Howard, Chandler, Najera, Bradley, and Delk off the bench.

Chicago:
Curry
Walker
Deng (from draft - I hear they love this kid)
Crawford
Hinrich
Jerome Williams, Gill, Fortson, Pargo (who played well at the end of the season), and some other scrappy players come off the bench.

If this deal went through, both teams are better and more balanced. Dallas immediately becomes a more serious championship threat. Chicago also becomes a huge threat to make the playoffs. It's a win-win.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Another Dallas/Chicago Trade

I like this trade and would do it in a heart beat. I think both Fortson and Walker would be much better suited to the Eastern conference and good give at least decent production in Chicago. Walker being a hometown boy would be a plus.

Chandler is a raw talent and there may be some questions with his back, but I'm more than willing to take a chance. Davis doesn't have much left in his bag, but he still has the attitude. We need that big time.

I'd be highly upset if we got the chance to pull the trigger on this one and didn't.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Another Dallas/Chicago Trade

I don't think this would be my first choice to upgrade, but since my first choice will probably never happen....I think that this would be a very good plan B or C or D. Never hurts to call. I am for it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another Dallas/Chicago Trade

I'm on board with it. Walker HAS to go and nellie is too stupid to play fortson anyway.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:10 AM   #5
woods

woods is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Another Dallas/Chicago Trade

I also think that this trade makes a lot of sense. It really seems to benefit both teams. I agree that Fortson would be better in the Eastern Conference and would be better on a team with an effective center to play alongside. It is a good trade for both teams.

I wonder, though, if rather than trading Walker and Fortson for Chandler, Davis and Jefferies, Dallas could trade for Chandler, Davis and Crawford.

Dallas trades: Antoine Walker, Danny Fortson
Dallas receives: Antonio Davis, Tyson Chandler, and Jamal Crawford

Chicago trades: Davis, Chandler, and Crawford
Chicago receives: Walker and Fortson

Chicago seemed interested in trading Crawford and wants to change the attitude of the team.

If we also add Crawford, we could get another guard off the bench who can play 1 or 2. That would give us Crawford and Daniels to come off the bench for Nash and Finley. And that's just another young player we could add that could make the mavs good for a while to come.
woods is offline   Reply With Quote