Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-11-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas/Washington/Chicago/Golden State four-way deal

I stole this from mikejoeb at db.com and modified it slightly. It's a really interesting scenario...

Dallas trades:
Antoine Walker
Antawn Jamison
Tony Delk
Dallas receives:
Christian Laettner
Antonio Davis
Erick Dampier
No. 5 pick

Washington trades:
Jared Jeffries
Christian Laettner
Jerry Stackhouse
Washington receives:
Antoine Walker
Jamal Crawford

Chicago trades:
Tyson Chandler
Jamal Crawford
Antonio Davis
Chicago receives:
Antawn Jamison
Jerry Stackhouse

Golden State trades:
Erick Dampier
Golden State receives:
Tony Delk
Jared Jeffries
Tyson Chandler

It's a great scenario because I think it legitimately helps each team and I think each team might be legitimately interested.

Why Dallas does it:

You're clearing out an area of surplus (power forward) and adding pieces that help. Here's the Dallas roster after this trade:

C - Dampier, Bradley, Laettner
PF - Nowitzki, Davis, Fortson
SF - Finley, Najera
SG - Daniels, Howard
PG - Nash, Livingston (with the No. 5)

That's absolutely beautiful. You have a ton of big bodies to throw at guys like Shaq and Duncan, and Dirk will never have to spend time at center with this roster. Dampier gives you a legit starting center, and Bradley, Laettner, and Davis give you multiple options at the backup spots. Finley, Howard, and Daniels can handle all the SG/SF minutes. The REAL beauty of this plan, however, is that you have the future in place. Livingston at PG, Daniels at SG, Howard at SF, Dirk at PF. As guys get older (read: Finley and Nash) you can move them to the bench and let their counterparts replace them in the starting lineup.

If Dallas pulled this off, I'd be ECSTATIC about their chances to win a title next year and for the next few years.

Why Washington does it:

Washington gets rid of a couple of contracts they don't like (Laettner and Stackhouse) and improves their talent.

C - E. Thomas - Haywood
PF - Brown - Baxter
SF - Walker - Hayes
SG - Crawford - Hughes
PG - Arenas - Blake

That should be a playoff team in the East, and it is ultimately built around young talent in Arenas, Crawford, Brown, and E. Thomas. The best part for Washington is that they'll have a TON of cap room in the summer of 2005 to pursue a big name free agent to go along with the young core.

Why Chicago does it:

It gives the Bulls scoring and veterans to mix into their young core. With this trade, the Bulls can then either trade down and add other players that way or take a chance at No. 3 on a guy like Pavel.

Why Golden State does it:

If Erick Dampier is leaving, this gives the Warriors a nice return on a S&T deal. Chandler is a young forward with a lot of promise, and Jeffries is a bonus throw-in.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dallas/Washington/Chicago/Golden State four-way deal

I'd do it. But if I really think that Stefansson is the future PG of this team, then instead of Livingston, I would call Andriuskevius and tell him to stay in, and take him at the #5 pick and leave him with Sabonis. If I didn't think Stefansson was the future, then Livingston would be my pick at the 5.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

KG,

That is a great trade.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dallas/Washington/Chicago/Golden State four-way deal

Wow. That made my head hurt, but now that I have digested it.....sure. I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Intriguing idea, KG. What was your modification? Let me guess...Golden State wouldn't do it unless Tony Delk was involved? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Great trade for Dallas, to be sure. I wonder if Chicago couldn't get a better deal for those players, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

It's difficult to find a trade that is tempting, attractive, plausible from various perspectives, and financially possible. I would do this trade in a heart beat and feel the Maverick's management would do it even quicker than that. This trade gives us many options for the future while subsequently taking care of immediate needs.

Overall this is a beautiful trade proposal, KG.

Now all that is left is to attempt to bring this trade proposal to Mark Cuban's attention.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
I'd do it. But if I really think that Stefansson is the future PG of this team, then instead of Livingston, I would call Andriuskevius and tell him to stay in, and take him at the #5 pick and leave him with Sabonis. If I didn't think Stefansson was the future, then Livingston would be my pick at the 5.
Interesting notion however, I would have to go with Pavel Podkolzine over the Sabonis project. Yet, I agree that if I didn't believe Stefansson was the future I would go with the 6'7" point guard as well.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 06-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Interesting notion however, I would have to go with Pavel Podkolzine over the Sabonis project. Yet, I agree that if I didn't believe Stefansson was the future I would go with the 6'7" point guard as well.
I admit that Pavel has the upside with his size. He also has giantism though, and I can only imagine the stress placed on the knees and ankles at that weight. You are probably right, and he would be the best choice. I just have a gut feeling that problems happen, and he doesn't develop though.

On the Sabonis guy. He is said to be more smooth with the ball than Nowitzki was at that age, and Donnie says he will end up being more of a face the basket kind of player. At 7'2" - 7'4" (depends on where I am reading) face the basket with 3 pt range, positioned beside Dirk at 7' and with excellent 3 pt range. This is a Nellie offensive player. If this guy is much better with the ball than Nowitzki was, and he is getting the teaching of Sabonis on passing, and low post moves, then when his body develops (he is only 18) then he will be another star. He will be able to play the high post - like Yao, and still block shots due to his length and athleticism. This would make an offense nasty with Nash/Nowitzki playing pick and roll on one side, and the other side being Daniels, Howard, cutting to the hoop with the ball being run through the high post with Andruiskevicius.

Just my choice, not necessarily the best idea, but one that I can definately see working in the NBA.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #9
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

As much as I question the work ethic of Damp and Laetner (I still cant believe this is the same guy that played for Duke) I have to say that this trade makes us better defensively and offensively, keeps the big three intact. Solid trade, Mavs give up good pieces in Jaimison and Walker, and create more options for future trades.

The only change I could see in this line up would be moving Dirk to the 3 spot. He may have difficulty defending them, but they would never be able to defend him.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: birdsanctuary
As much as I question the work ethic of Damp and Laetner (I still cant believe this is the same guy that played for Duke) I have to say that this trade makes us better defensively and offensively, keeps the big three intact. Solid trade, Mavs give up good pieces in Jaimison and Walker, and create more options for future trades.

The only change I could see in this line up would be moving Dirk to the 3 spot. He may have difficulty defending them, but they would never be able to defend him.
I'm interested as to why you would want to move Dirk to the 3 spot if this trade were carried out. The way I see it, if we moved Dirk to the three he would be in a bad situation where he would be getting killed by the quicker opposing 3's, finley would have to go to the two where is isnt as good defensively, we would have to push Daniels out of the starting lineup, and we would still have a gap at the 4 with no one to play there except Laettner (ugh). Why on earth would we want to do that when we could leave Dirk at the 4 (in my opinion his natural position) and play a more defensive/athletic lineup at 3-2-1.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 PM   #11
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Well thought out, KG.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:06 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas/Washington/Chicago/Golden State four-way deal

not my favorite..but worth doing if others dont get done...I would love damp and the #5!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

put me in the minority here.

not sure if i like this deal at all. we basically get 2 aging forwards with questionable skills. we get one center who only had a good year during his contract year. his play before that had been entirely mediocre. we get a #5 pick that may net us a PG for the future or it may net a big bag of nothing.

laettner is old with questionable skills. he certainly isnt going to block any shots or do anything for us. davis is old and has a bloated contract. although walker and delk are terrible fits for this team, if we have to dump the two twans i want something better back than a couple of spares and a center with no heart.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #14
FolterKammer84

FolterKammer84 is on a distinguished road

i dont like finley at small forward but i like that trade [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] good work kg_veteran
FolterKammer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:29 AM   #15
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

A worthy effort and a very realistic proposal. I, too, am in the minority here in saying I don't think it is the optimum trade for us just yet. I am also in the minority I guess because I do see Delk as a fit for the Mavs and think that this past year was just an aberration for Delk.

I know Laetttner is included because of salary, and a couple of years ago I would loved to see him come back. The one I would like to see return to Mavs from the Wizards is Etan Thomas, especially if Fortson gets moved.

However, since Mavs left Delk and Walker unprotected we have to wait until after June22/23 before we can include them and Fortson in any other realistic trade proposal.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #16
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I would rather draft Pavel or Ramos instead of Livingston. A good point guard can be had MUCH more easily than a good Center. Also I believe that one of these guys is going to be really solid in the future. Also I don't trust Dampier's work ethics either!
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #17
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Dirkenstein wrote:
Quote:
I'm interested as to why you would want to move Dirk to the 3 spot if this trade were carried out. The way I see it, if we moved Dirk to the three he would be in a bad situation where he would be getting killed by the quicker opposing 3's, finley would have to go to the two where is isnt as good defensively, we would have to push Daniels out of the starting lineup, and we would still have a gap at the 4 with no one to play there except Laettner (ugh). Why on earth would we want to do that when we could leave Dirk at the 4 (in my opinion his natural position) and play a more defensive/athletic lineup at 3-2-1.

Dear Dirkenstein:

Here is my concern, when Dirk is put in at Center or the 4 the opposing bigs tend to hurt him, they play very physical against him. I am especially concerned with the amount of focused force on Dirk's shooting elbow. In a Zone defense the Mavs are going to have to make better shifts and adjustments when players get beat, or in the man Dirk's going to have to switch to a bigger man. So moving Dirk against smaller 3s gives the opponent a heck of a time matching up. Dirk is very durable, but later in his career this pounding is going to limit his ability. I just want Dirk to develop into the Bird like Legend that he's heading toward. At the 4 and Center spot, he just takes too much pounding. Given KG's trade let Davis, laetner and Najera be a 3 headed 4 with differing rotations into the center spot. Primary Center played by Damp and the Mantis. I think KG's trade makes the Mavs very big, as big as some teams like Portland and Toronto have been in the past.

Frankly, Nellie does not agree with my take on Fin, I see far more upside with Howard and Daniels than Fin, and regardless of his Leaderhisp ability he should be traded before he has no value what so ever. I agree with you that Fin can't play the 2 spot. If opposing guards knew anything about him they would D him up tight when he has the ball and they would pick him every time, he is a very poor ball-handler. I really believe at this point in his career Fin is more of a 3 point specialist than an Ironman like he has been used to being. Keep Daniels in the starting linup. I just think Fin should be moved while his value is fairly high, and I think it's especially high in Chicago.

I know it all sounds crazy, but I just hate seeing bigs abuse Dirk's elbow, watch game tape, they all do it especially away from the ball.