Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-07-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting Parcells Quote

Testavarde was brought here to compete and he will compete for the starting job with Quincy Carter and serve as a mentor to Drew Henson.

-Parcells from todays press conference

Interesting that Testaverde will not be mentoring Qspare. Perhaps Bill already has some insight into the quarterback situation after all.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Interesting Parcells Quote

lets not fool ourselves....Carter is the fill in, VInny is the wise sage, and Henson is the young skywalker here to save the universe from control of the evil empire of New England and Brady

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Interesting Parcells Quote

I just thank God that Henson isnt in the running...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:08 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
I just thank God that Henson isnt in the running...
this year.....mayyyyyyyybe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What should be obvious to you is that Carter is well past the stage where he would need to be mentored by a Vinny Testaverde. Duh.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
What should be obvious to you is that Carter is well past the stage where he would need to be mentored by a Vinny Testaverde. Duh.
oh the grandeur thoughts of mentoring to mediocrity..............one of them will get there someday.....

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Testavarde was brought here to compete and he will compete for the starting job with Quincy Carter and serve as a mentor to Drew Henson.

-Parcells from todays press conference

Interesting that Testaverde will not be mentoring Qspare. Perhaps Bill already has some insight into the quarterback situation after all.

Though that's the quote Tony Romo and Quincy Carter have said they've already learned things from Vinny already but yea that was the purpose of Vinny being here. Though he is going to compete he isn't going to beat out Quincy for the job. He is here to mentor Drew who is much far along than our other qbs. I also heard that Tony Romo may not be our 4th string qb it's really Drew Henson. They see something in Tony Romo that they don't want to give up for some reason.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Romo is a practice squad guy this year. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Go Vinny! At least then we would have a QB who could be relied on.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Romo is a practice squad guy this year. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Go Vinny! At least then we would have a QB who could be relied on.
How can you relie on Vinny? His scrambling is horrible at best.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

But his decision making is superior to Qcrappys. Pick your poison. Do you want a guy that can run for his life and make bad decisions or a guy that will play smart and be immobile? 99.9% of everyone would undoubtedly prefer a smart player. That eliminates Qdunce.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

DocBio, let's bet a hundred on Qcrap's QB rating this year. Exactly how low do you think it will be.

I'd like to see you back up your Qhate with something besides moronic stubbornness.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
But his decision making is superior to Qcrappys. Pick your poison. Do you want a guy that can run for his life and make bad decisions or a guy that will play smart and be immobile? 99.9% of everyone would undoubtedly prefer a smart player. That eliminates Qdunce.
So you'd prefer Hutch correct? Quincy avoided 20+ sacks last year on his own 2 feet. If that was Vinny at the qb position the Cowboys would've been 6-10. You are also assuming that Quincy won't be a better qb this year with 2 consecutive years of the same play book and coach. He will also have some guy by the name of Whitten who some preject to be a top 5 tight end this year.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Who said anything about Hutch FFIgnorant? You rely on Hutch too often to defend Qsapre when noone makes a comparison there. You are holding on to long ago days passed.

chum- Qsuck will not be the QB past this year. It is just the way it is. He is not the future and the only reason he is the present is because the other options are crap and Henson is not ready (and should not play this year at all imho). I don't hate the guy. I consistently praise his athleticism, but his skill as an NFL qb is below average at best.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love the Sporting New's take on the Cowboys QB situation!!!!

Quincy Carter, QB, Cowboys.
The report: Coach Bill Parcells told the team's official website that he is not naming an order of quarterbacks, that he simply is going to use whichever guy shows he deserves the starting job among Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson and Tony Romo. Carter, who started all 16 games last season, earned the job last season, but Parcells insists Carter has a clean slate entering the 2004-05 season.

Lie detector results: Coachspeak, undetectable. All of this posturing by Parcells means one thing: There isn't a Phil Simms, or even a Jeff Hostetler, in this bunch. If there were, then Parcells probably wouldn't have a problem naming a starter. It's a red flag to stay away from Carter, who has been nothing more than a fantasy backup anyway. His 17 touchdown passes and 21 interceptions last season didn't impress us, and, apparently, they didn't impress Parcells, either. By the way, wasn't Tony Romo's a popular place to get ribs? Oh no, that was Tony Roma's -- never mind.

Senior editor George Winkler is a fantasy football expert for Sporting News.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Who said anything about Hutch FFIgnorant? You rely on Hutch too often to defend Qsapre when noone makes a comparison there. You are holding on to long ago days passed.

chum- Qsuck will not be the QB past this year. It is just the way it is. He is not the future and the only reason he is the present is because the other options are crap and Henson is not ready (and should not play this year at all imho). I don't hate the guy. I consistently praise his athleticism, but his skill as an NFL qb is below average at best.
You might be right. But that still doesn't make it "the way it is." It makes it your guess, which could also be wrong. Don't forget another quote from the recent press conferences, when Bill said that Quincy "definitely has a leg up on anyone here," based on being the starter last year.

Forget the QB rating, then. (Although I expect it to go up quite a bit due to dramatically reduced interceptions.) I'll go on a limb and say that if Carter is not the starter on opening day 2005, I'll donate $50 to d-m.com in your name. If you like, you can do the same, if he is.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

That is reasonable. ok. '05 should be Hensons year.

Was that "leg up" quote prior to the Vinny signing? I'm guessing so. As for the rating (sorry I actually missed that above in my haste) it certainly could improve. Can anyone throw that many interceptions again? If anyone can it would be Qspare. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

The "leg up" quote was from Saturday morning. It was just to make the point that Carter has already had a year in this system, and that puts him further ahead. That's Bill for you. Remember that what grates him the most, in his own words, is a quarterback "who thinks the position is just about passing."

Maybe Carter can never make it. But if he can, Bill is the one to take him there. I've heard some comments from Quincy recently about focusing this next year on reducing interceptions. I think he said that 17 of his picks last year were on plays where he left the pocket. He said that this year they are working on committing to either running or passing once he leaves the pocket, and not allowing there to be any indecision, or last-second decisions.

If they can eliminate that part of the game, then they might have a chance to run a ball-control offense.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
The "leg up" quote was from Saturday morning. It was just to make the point that Carter has already had a year in this system, and that puts him further ahead. That's Bill for you. Remember that what grates him the most, in his own words, is a quarterback "who thinks the position is just about passing."

Maybe Carter can never make it. But if he can, Bill is the one to take him there. I've heard some comments from Quincy recently about focusing this next year on reducing interceptions. I think he said that 17 of his picks last year were on plays where he left the pocket. He said that this year they are working on committing to either running or passing once he leaves the pocket, and not allowing there to be any indecision, or last-second decisions.

If they can eliminate that part of the game, then they might have a chance to run a ball-control offense.
That's his downfall IMO. He is a horrible passer when attempting to throw on the run. If he could improve that part of his game he'd be a Donovon McNabb type qb but I prefer to see Quincy stay in the pocket and throw but that isn't going to happen unless this offensive line becomes better this year.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 02:01 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

I cannot believe you can seriously compare Qspare with Donovan McNabb...one of the NFL's best. That is so out of whack...even for you that is over the top.

Chum said:
Quote:
Maybe Carter can never make it. But if he can, Bill is the one to take him there.
I can buy that. Bill has been a miracle worker with a lot of guys. I doubt even he can get anything more than a big bag of sparedom out of Qstanky, but I suppose >IF< someone could it would be Parcells.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:36 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
I cannot believe you can seriously compare Qspare with Donovan McNabb...one of the NFL's best. That is so out of whack...even for you that is over the top.

Chum said:
Quote:
Maybe Carter can never make it. But if he can, Bill is the one to take him there.
I can buy that. Bill has been a miracle worker with a lot of guys. I doubt even he can get anything more than a big bag of sparedom out of Qstanky, but I suppose >IF< someone could it would be Parcells.
How did I compare Quincy to McNabb? Did you not just read my post? I just said Quincy was horrible when it comes to throwing on the run which is something McNabb can do.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Two things that you can count on....taxes and an ignorant response from FFM.

Let's break it down for the slow.......

(1.)
FFM said:
If he (Qspare) could improve that part of his game he'd be a Donovon McNabb type qb

and then countered himself with...

How did I compare Quincy to McNabb?

Ignorance abounds.

(2.)
FFM said:
Did you not just read my post?
Obviously I did. Sadly, you apparently did not. Either that or you enjoy not remembering your words and pulling statements out of your arse.

edit to fix the italics.
FFM- you can click here to understand what this means.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #22
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

"That's his downfall IMO. He is a horrible passer when attempting to throw on the run. If he could improve that part of his game he'd be a Donovon McNabb type qb but I prefer to see Quincy stay in the pocket and throw but that isn't going to happen unless this offensive line becomes better this year. "

This is my post. I did not compare Quincy to McNabb. Notice I say Quincy is a horrible passer on the run. Notice I also say if he could improve that part of his game he'd be a Donovon McNabb TYPE QB. Notice I also say I prefer him to stay in the pocket and throw. You need me to clear anything else for you Bio?

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

It is patently clear in my post above. You compared Qspare to McNabb and qualified it. But, the comparison was made. I called you out and you denied making the comparison. I clearly showed where you backtracked. It is your character and way. I've come to accept it and expect it from you. Not everyone can put out coherent and intelligent repsonses. I've learned that. It still confounds me but I guess I have no hope to change it as long as you continue to post here.

*sigh*

Kudos for consistency.....if nothing else, you are consistent.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:24 AM   #24
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Going back to the quote (and away from the Drbio v. FFM personal war) . . . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I love the fact that Parcells is giving these QB's a fair shot at the starting job. It might even be "coach-speak", but as long as these QB's believe it be a true competition for the job, than I think it will only benefit them. I'm from the school of thought that competition breeds excellence, and this will only benefit he 'boys in the long run.

kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Competition will always result in improved results as long as you have at least two who are close to each other talent wise. The QB's we have have different talents. I'm not sure Testeverde's mental strength will improve Qspares mental lapses. Certainly Qspare's atheticism isn't going to rub off on Vinny T.

Given that I will take smarts over speed even though Vinny is underwhelming.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:23 PM   #26
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It is patently clear in my post above. You compared Qspare to McNabb and qualified it. But, the comparison was made. I called you out and you denied making the comparison. I clearly showed where you backtracked. It is your character and way. I've come to accept it and expect it from you. Not everyone can put out coherent and intelligent repsonses. I've learned that. It still confounds me but I guess I have no hope to change it as long as you continue to post here.

*sigh*

You guys are arguing about two different things. Drbio, I don't think FFM was referring to McNabb himself rather than referring to the type of quarterback he is... a quick quarterback who can run, and also throw well on the run. He never really did compare the skill of Quincy Carter to McNabb himself... maybe you misread his post a little bit. Basically, he was trying to say that if Quincy Carter can work on his throwing ability on the run, he'll turn into a mobile quarterback who can make good throws in pressure situations. Which would be sweet.

Now you guys should kiss and make up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #27
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Good try mavsman55... I've been trying to get them to make up for over a year myself. I even offered to buy them a Beer.... all to no avail.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #28
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

hahaha

Some things just aren't meant to be.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Did someone say beer?
Old 06-18-2004, 04:21 PM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

All I know is I'm looking forward to training camp and the pre-season...I've been spoiling for another good Q-STAR fight for a while now!! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2004, 04:22 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Of course you meant Qspare there. I'll chalk it up as a type-o.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2004, 12:08 AM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Quote:

*sigh*

You guys are arguing about two different things. Drbio, I don't think FFM was referring to McNabb himself rather than referring to the type of quarterback he is... a quick quarterback who can run, and also throw well on the run. He never really did compare the skill of Quincy Carter to McNabb himself... maybe you misread his post a little bit. Basically, he was trying to say that if Quincy Carter can work on his throwing ability on the run, he'll turn into a mobile quarterback who can make good throws in pressure situations. Which would be sweet.

Now you guys should kiss and make up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for clearing that up.

1996-2005
Old 06-19-2004, 05:11 PM   #33
mavsman55
Platinum Member

no problem.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:07 AM   #34
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Okay here is the deal. If you see that the offensive line appears to be better than last year and can give the QB little time to throw, you go with Vinny. If that is not the case play QC since he is probably the top 2-3 Qbs who can avoid a sack but he does make some silly decisions after avoiding the sack. Let us not forget we do have Keyshawn who has played with Vinny and thus there is a good chance Vinny might have the starting job.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:32 PM   #35
Drbio
Banned

It's so nice that FFM can rely on others to tell him what he meant. You know...since he doesn't have a damn clue by himself and all.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:20 PM   #36
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

1996-2005
Old 06-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #37
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Can't wait to see who would be the starter.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #38
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

If Vinny wins the starting job, the Cowboys are in bad shape. Best case scenario for me, would be if Quincy continues to improve and learns from the veteran Vinny.

If Quincy can show some marked improvement from last year, then there is no reason for Vinny to do more than hold a clipboard. Young Henson can just wait in the practice squad until next off-season where I hope he will compete for the starting job.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote