Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-23-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Barry Zito to texas

ESPN's Peter Gammons, proposing a handful of "trades that make sense," suggests that Oakland could trade lefthanders Barry Zito and Arthur Rhodes, righthander Mike Wood, first baseman Dan Johnson, and cash to Texas for Mark Teixeira and Francisco Cordero. That's too large for me to even think about, at least while Shaq is boxing out all other trade talk in my head. It's certainly not a deal that two teams in contention -- not to mention against one another -- even contemplate during the season.

Righthanders Ricardo Rodriguez and Josh Rupe returned from injuries and each surrendered a home run to the first batter he saw yesterday (Rodriguez to Astro second base prospect Chris Burke, and Rupe to San Francisco 2004 fourth-rounder Clay Timpner, who was the Rangers' 41st-rounder in 2001).
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Barry Zito to texas

No way in hell do I do that. I understand the temptation to get a top-line pitcher with the success we have had, but we are forgetting the crap we used to go through in the 90's. We would have a good season-start and trade away our future stars leaving us mired in mediocrity forever...

No thanks.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Barry Zito to texas

I must admit that I would do a Zito for Texiera straight up, but there is no way I give up Cordero from a team already starved for pitching. I only do the Tex because of Gonzalez waiting in the winds.

I would rather they just kept playing, and work it out in the offseason, than to make some big mistake now.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
I must admit that I would do a Zito for Texiera straight up, but there is no way I give up Cordero from a team already starved for pitching. I only do the Tex because of Gonzalez waiting in the winds.

I would rather they just kept playing, and work it out in the offseason, than to make some big mistake now.
Exactly....I would do a combination of Tex and any top infield prospect except Gonzalez to land Zito. But in NO way...do I give up Cordero.
Our infield looks set for a long while and we could stand to give up a few top prospects if we can get Zito back in a trade.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Zito is a curveball pitcher(not to mention he has seemed to lost the break on the ball that he used to have). I wouldn't want any curveball pitcher to play half of his games in Arlington.

Give me Hudson or Mulder and I'd be OK with that.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:45 AM   #6
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

I hope not, i would rather see Freddy Garcia if we MUST trade for any pitching.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Garcia has gotten pounded lately.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

so has zito
Old 07-06-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
Apparently, the Rangers were offered Garcia for Tex and said, "No."
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
Apparently, the Rangers were offered Garcia for Tex and said, "No."
Like the Steve Nash pass....that was the correct thing to do.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Tex has been on fire lately. IMO, Tex, Blalock, and Nix are the future. Don't trade those guys. Hope your young pitchers develop, but don't trade that trio.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Soriono being traded for pitching next year wouldn't hurt my feelings.