Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-09-2004, 09:05 AM   #41
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Serena Williams gets jobbed at the US Open

You sure like to knock people on their apperances... Were you that little dude with coke-bottle glasses and field-goal-teeth in school??? Any face cysts to speak of??? Maybe you are missing one or more limbs???

Boy, you must be one ugly dude that got bashed for it... Im sorry for your problems!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #42
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE:Serena Williams gets jobbed at the US Open

FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

Open official apologizes to Serena for bad call

U.S. Open officials have apologized to Serena Williams for a controversial line call in her quarterfinal loss to Jennifer Capriati on Tuesday, according to a published report.

According to the report, Arlen Kantarian, the Chief Executive of Professional Tennis, contacted Williams.
"I called Serena," Kantarian said. "I apologized for the call, the overrule — which was a clear mistake — and told her how important she was to the U.S. Open, how she was a class act and how well she handled the situation last night.

"She was very appreciative of the call."

At deuce in the opening game of the third set Tuesday, Williams hit a backhand inside the sideline that was first called good by the lineswoman, but later overruled by umpire Mariana Alves.

The third-seeded Williams, who lost the match 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, initially thought Alves had simply called the score wrongly, but the Portuguese confirmed to USTA officials that she had overruled.

U.S. Open Tournament Director Jim Curley confirmed an earlier statement by the USTA that Alves would not officiate in any further matches at the tournament.

"It was a mistake but she is a very experienced umpire and mistakes get made out there," said Curley.

"She (Alves) was under consideration for another match, a women's match, but we decided that it was in the best interests of the tournament (that she step down)," he said.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #43
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
The bottom line is, a tennis match is'nt over until it's over. So unless the blatantly bad call was on match point, it's not as big a deal as it's being made out to be.
Rod,

Have you every played tennis??? If so, have you ever played competitively??? If so, have you ever played singles competitively??? I did for a little while, and I know how hard it is mentally when things arent going your way!!! Unless you are playing doubles, tennis is not a team sport... You're out there on your own, and you only have yourself to question/blame when you play poor... Now, if you have all of the experience I talked about above, then you should not be questioning this like you have... If you don't have the experience above, well, then I don't even care about your opinion because it is without proper knowledge and understanding of the sport... Lets just say it is the former, and move on...

When you are facing talent that is as good as you, you need EVERY SINGLE POINT... When a CRUCIAL point is obviously yours, and some guy sitting on a podium says otherwise, you are affected in more ways than one... First, you lose the point, which again, was CRUCIAL... Then you get angry, (and if you know ANYTHING about tennis, you would understand that anger and tennis do not mix very well... Then you start the mental thing which I wont even try to get into, (how the hell do I know what was going through her mind as it could have been anything from: The umps are out to get me, how can I win this match to Ok, calm down, don't press, try to get this match back under control)...

The fact of the matter is that her psyche was affected, and she played less confident than she would have had she been awarded that point... Now, factor in the fact that this happened multiple times in the third set, (bad calls that is), of a GRAND SLAM tournament and you might just start to understand the kind of pressure/frustration that this woman was facing... I have obviously not been in that exact same situation, and I don't know exactly what she was going through; however, I have been on the wrong side of a bad call from time to time, and I know how that can affect someome...

My point is that you can't act like the occurence of a bad call has no affect on the match due to the fact that it didnt happen on the final point... That is simply ridiculous!!!

Nice diatribe, you really put me in my place.[img]i/expressions/anim_roller.gif[/img]

Yes I play tennis well enough to know what a rally is. Serena is capable of rallying back from a bad call. It's just like in basketball when the ref does'nt give you a foul call on a shot. There's 2 (or 3) points the ref may have cost you right there. You can't let it get to you, you have to get over it and move on. A professional such as Serena, ugly outfit and all, is good enough to recover from such an unfortunate bad call. That's why I'm not buying that the bad call(s) cost her the match. Not to mention that Jennifer played well.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:52 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I played tennis competitively for over a decade. I must say that it is upsetting to receive a bad call, but you do what you've got to do. If you're unable to, you probably didn't play well enough to win or you simply didn't have the mental capacity to overcome the mistake.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #45
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Serena Williams gets jobbed at the US Open

Give Serena credit. She said it was not the bad call that lost the match but rather her 57 unforced errors.

She was not "jobbed" by her own account.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #46
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Serena and Venus do design their own outfits.
Spending time doing that and promoting their fashion business is one reason people say they are no longer the best at what they do. And it's increasingly more obvious that they are not what they were a few years ago.

This judges error (and the Wimbeldon flub with Venus) remind me of the olympic gymnastics broohaahaa. I don't remember anyone saying that Wimbeldon should award a second trophy to Venus, or that Capriati should concede the match (now that it's over) to Serena. That's because tennis is a sport. Gymnastics is closer to a circus performance.

And Murph, with all the ugly people in tennis (men and women) and sport in general, why do you have a particular obsession with the williamses? Might we say that thou dost protest too much?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:55 AM   #47
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I've railed on Capriati looking like a man in the past.
As for ugly, I believe I said that Venus was a root...not Serena.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote