Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-05-2004, 03:21 AM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default 9/11/04: The rematch

Arkansas versus Texas. Wow, it just doesn't get any better that this for a Texas boy hiding out up in Fayetteville, masquerading as a Razorback fan (I DID transfer back up here, BTW). This upcoming week on campus should be electric.

Arkansas and Texas both looked impressive tonight. I got to see the Razorback game first hand. Our offense was the most diverse I've seen it since the Clint Stoerner days. No delusions of grandeur, though. I realize it was against NMSU. Still, the way we played was a massive suprise. I fully expected this game to be within two touchdowns.

Two things for UT fans to look out for:
Peyton Hillis: After watching him in 2 scrimmages, 4-5 practices, and one game I can safely say that he is the most impressive fullback/tailback hybrid, stud, beast, specimen I've ever scene. The true freshman scored two touchdowns tonight, but his highlights had nothing to do with running the ball. Matt Jones rolls out of the pocket, he's got Hillis short in the flat. Jones tries to get it to him but the NMSU defender bats down the pass right as Jones releases. It's called an imcomplete pass, but immediately a NMSU safety picks up the ball and starts sprinting towards the end zone. Hillis, within 3 seconds, catches up to the guy and absolutely DE-CLEATS him. This is one of those hits that all-american linebackers hand out. Not true freshmen fullbacks.

Later in the game he was out in the flat and Robert Johnson threw him a pass which was just out of reach, one of those balls you'd have to leap for. Hillis just kinda casually sideways leaps and sticks his left hand up. The ball just sticks to his hand. Dude never even brings his right hand over the top of the ball. Just clutches the ball with the left and starts running. It took me a couple of seconds to realize what I had just saw.

Marcus Monk: The 6'6" true freshman WR hauled in a 38 Td pass from Matt Jones in the 2nd quarter. He's become an instant favorite of jones. MJ just lofts balls up and Monk goes and gets it. Monk is also a highly regarded basketball player that was recruited heavily by Oklahoma to play both sports. He'll do both at Arkansas. On this particular pass Jones underthrew Monk by about 5 yards, so Monk comes back to get it. The poor NMSU corner thought he had a pick, but these two long arms just kinda appear over his torso and Monk just takes it away from him, spins off the safety, and walks into the endzone.

Oh, for a little reality check before too much enthusiastic trash talk begins, you might wanna check this out:
Woo Pig
Old 09-05-2004, 03:23 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: 9/11/04: The rematch

Any UT fans making the drive? Let me know and I'll buy you a beer. Eh, Doc :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Why in the world would I want to drive out to that god forsaken State to watch another butt stomping by the Orange Bloods? This ain't last year.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Default RE:9/11/04: The rematch

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Why in the world would I want to drive out to that god forsaken State to watch another but stomping by the Orange Bloods? This ain't last year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Uh, to see the best facilities in all of college sports, of course.

(Okay, I haven't been to MANY stadiums, I'll let you decide.)
Check this link out for a little taste of the beauty of the University of Arkansas:

And on a longhorn board, no less :-)
Old 09-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

You could also get a first hand look at what might be the best fullback in college football: Arkansas freshman, Peyton Hillis.

Check the linky for a little video of his antics...might want to make that full screen to get a better view:
Peyton Hillis
Old 09-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It should be a good game. Last season UT was dominated at the line of scrimmage by the Hogs. I think Arkansas will find this year's Texas team to be much more physical up front, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I hope Arkansas can stop the run, since they're going to get a heavy dose of Benson and the Youngs.

I don't know if Chance Mock is healty enough to play so if Texas falls behind early, it will be interesting to see if Vince Young can lead the team from behind with his arm.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

For the record...Doc is NOT an orangeblood fan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Sic 'em Bears!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

It really should be quite interesting as far as matchups. Arkansas' strength lies in its D-line. This year's D-Line is better, more experienced, and better coached than last year's version. Then Texas has its newfound strength in the OL. Something has got to give. If Texas is able to get the running game going, I don't think we'll be able to win. If Arkansas can contain the running game of UT and put the pressure on VY to beat ARK with his arm, then it should probably be a real close game. Arkansas' weaknesses are supposed to be secondary and offensive line. Both showed great potential, but there were a few lapses. Texas has a inexperienced receiving corp, so I'm thinking that UT passing versus AR secondary won't be a major factor. Arkansas' receiving has been the talk of the year so far. They've gotten more publication than any position other than, probably, QB. Them going against texas' secondary probably will be a tough battle.

A lot of this game will be decided by busted plays. AKA - Vince Young's ability to make something out of nothing versus Matt Jones' ability to do the same.

Should be a really great weekend in Fayetteville. I'm very pumped that I'll be seeing this game in person. Woo Pig.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
For the record...Doc is NOT an orangeblood fan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Sic 'em Bears!
Yeah, i know...but any mention of beer wouldn't be complete with a Doc mention.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

One more day...
Old 09-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

One more day until Young and Benson remind the piggy Defensive line what it means to be run over by a Mack Truck.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

U2,
Texas hasn't beaten Arkansas since 1990. Arkansas is a beautiful state and campus.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

ocelot- I'd make the drive to have that beer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #14
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Well...it might take a little longer than usual, Doc.

I just got back from the pep rally. Oh MY FREAKIN' LORD. I've never been so pumped about being a hog fan. This whole weekend is exactly what being a college student is all about. The traffic is simply HORRIBLE. Dickson Street (think a mini-6th street) is HOPPIN. There will be chaos if Arkansas can pull another win out of the magic hat. I really don't expect us to win, but there is always a chance.

Unfortunately, U2...Arkansas' defensive line is by far our biggest strength...followed by the linebackers. You might want to prepare VY for some passing. This IS the same DL that dominated UT's OL last year. Of course, one incumbent has been replaced by a stud of a freshman, but that incumbent does get plenty of snaps.

I just can't wait for tomorrow! Root Hog!
Old 09-11-2004, 12:57 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You might want to prepare VY for some passing. This IS the same DL that dominated UT's OL last year.
This is a different Texas team. The O-line is more experienced and playing much more physical. And keep in mind that your run defense didn't have to deal with Vince Young last season...I'll guarantee you that they haven't seen anything like him. I'm pretty confident that Texas can run the ball, and I'm not just basing that on the North Texas game. The focus of the offense shifted when he took over.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:17 AM   #16
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
You might want to prepare VY for some passing. This IS the same DL that dominated UT's OL last year.
This is a different Texas team. The O-line is more experienced and playing much more physical. And keep in mind that your run defense didn't have to deal with Vince Young last season...I'll guarantee you that they haven't seen anything like him. I'm pretty confident that Texas can run the ball, and I'm not just basing that on the North Texas game. The focus of the offense shifted when he took over.
I'd guarantee you they see something like him every day. Matt Jones and Vincent Young are probably the closest players to each other. You could best describe one by using the other. I'd say we're not too worried...Doesn't mean he isn't a badass, just that if he kicks our ass..it's not because we haven't seen anything like him. Just means that you were better on that day.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
U2,
Texas hasn't beaten Arkansas since 1990. Arkansas is a beautiful state and campus.
I know. That doesn't preclude me from trash talking. It's all in fun.

....at least that was how it was intended.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Well I'm off to go do some partying before the game...wish us luck! :-)
Old 09-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #19
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

That...ladies and gentlemen...is the sound of my heart breaking. just got back from around 12 hours up at Razorback stadium. To give a game away like that...oh, man. If I were invincible, I'd shoot myself right now. Oh well...at least we live to play another day. Good game, Horns. Hope all those guys that had injuries are okay and you have a good year. Congrats, U2.

snifflle, sniffle...
Old 09-12-2004, 01:28 AM   #20
dirno2000
Diamond Member

The Matt Jones fumble was karma. No way the football gods would allow Arkansas to win after those classless fans erupted when they saw Vince was laying on the field grabbing his ankle…the one that was intentionally twisted by Dixon.

Beyond that, it was a good game…both teams played hard.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:39 AM   #21
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

dude...you weren't there. You don't know what was going on in the stands. Every SINGLE PLAY that went our way was WILDLY celebrated in the stands. So many Texas players went down....you really felt bad. You'd be yelling and jumping up and down with your friends, then all the sudden...ah, shit...another Longhorn is hurt. "shut up guys..." That's how it was. How do I know? I was there. WE DID CHEER EVERY SINGLE TIME A UT PLAYER GOT UP AND LEFT THE FIELD. Isn't that worth anything? Or is this whole, "the whole world is an evil conspiracy against UT" clouding your judgement?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:19 AM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I just watched it again...incompletion to the TE and the crowd goes wild...the noise then dies down until they realize that Vince Young is writhing in pain on the field. Now, you are correct about them cheering him and the others as they limped to the sideline. But your explanation of the Young incident doesn't coincide with what I just saw. It's also clear that Dixon grabbed Young's ankle and twisted it...just a chicken s**t play.

As far as conspiracy theories, that’s really not me. Honestly I think some fans got caught up in the moment, then realized what they were actually doing. Probably shouldn’t have called them classless. However, it was a classless act.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:52 AM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

You Texas fans...I swear. Is there a classier program in the country than Texas? Of course not...not in yours or any other UT fan's opinion. You guys think it's "classless" to do the upside down hook em. Get over yourselves. It's freakin' college athletics. What do you expect? You want Arkansas to Hook Em with you?

I agree about the Arion Dixon play. I really do. That's about the worst thing I've ever seen a Hog player do. But you know that guy that lines up next to him, Jeb Huckeba...That's about the classiest American you'll ever meet in your life. I counted 3-4 times caught on the replay where he was helping longhorns up.

As far as the crowd noise going up, then dying, then going up...you're probably right...there probably were some people cheering when he went down. BUT - they do show replays on our smartvision immediately after every play. Some people were probably reacting to that as well. But I do concede that there were people that I saw yelling "p*ssy" when young hobbled off the field. I didn't agree with it at the time. I'm not embarassed by it now, though. If he was SO hurt he shouldn't have been able to get back in the game on the next play. By that time we were all getting tired of the UT players getting "shook up." They'd lay on the ground a few minutes, you'd think something might really be wrong. Nope. All the sudden their up on their feet sprinting to the sideline.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

After the 1st Quarter I thought we were going to blow you guys out.

But after that, it seemed our Defense at times would become porous. I am proud of the way our guys hung in there.

I don't know why these two teams can't figure out a way to play each other more often.

But I am glad to have bragging rights again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanna say this... If anyone else says that Benson wont be able to run against that Arkansas d-line, I will have to consider you crazy... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I think the grand total was 188 yards!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #26
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

The last eight minutes of the game featured a major choke job by Matt Jones. I've always liked watching him play, but that was very disappointing.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't know why these two teams can't figure out a way to play each other more often.
UT really isn't interested in helping the Razorbacks recruit the state...I'm sure if it was up to Arkansas, they'd play every year.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #28
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I understand not wanting to play them every year. But if you've read the DMN this week they leave you with the impression that Texas will never play Arkansas again in th regular season.

I don't want to play them every year, but more than twice a decade.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #29
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Coach Royal told Mack that he was crazy for scheduling us in the first place. Mack was gonna do a 4 year but Royal convinced him to knock it down to 2. I just wish it wasn't going to end...the rivalry is just so much fun/dramatic every year. But, now I get to look forward to playing the USC Trojans. Ummm...USC? Is that what you said, Broyles? Those national champions out in LA? Are you sure you want...well, okay. Man that will be some test next year out in LA. Every position on our team should be better, though, except for QB. The QB will be, IMO, as dangerous as Matt Jones, but a lot less experienced. And you guys pick up Ohio State! I'll be rooting for you in that game. They are one team that is consistently ranked that I never think should be...at least not as high as they are.