Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-23-2004, 05:28 PM   #81
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Goodbye playoffs, Pacers

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Wallace should be suspended according to how many games other players have been suspended in the past for pushing another player.
After seeing a better video of what happened (the one that I had before was kinda small) I have to strongly disagree. Wallace acted like a total punk and is very lucky he got away with just a five game suspension. Not only did he overreact after a hard foul and shoved Artest. He also continued to go after Artest and even through a towel after him. He did provoke him right until the bottle was thrown. Looking at what the Pacers got Wallace should have gotten much more then just five games. He was one of the main reasons the situation escalated.
You can disagree with me, but you're wrong. Yes, he acted like a punk, but his suspension is in line with what you're suspended for shoving a player in such a manner. I guess you could suspend every player 20 games or whatever when they push another player in a dead ball situation. If you do that, Josh Howard would be starting a 20 game suspension tonight along with Kevin Garnett.

Is that what you want to do?

Yes, the situation escalated, but you have to look at what each individual player did to come up with their penalty. You must also look at what each fan did to come up with their penalty.

Wallace pushed a player - 5 games
Artest wrongfully attacked a fan IN THE STANDS - suspended the rest of the season
The fan threw a cup of beer or ice on Artest - Possible assault charge? Possibly being banned from ever attending another game in Detroit?

Perhaps you can argue slightly more than 5 games...but no more than 7. Even that would be too much.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #82
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
if a guy throws an iced tea at me because I gave him the wrong order or if a guy throws a beer at my face while i'm on an announcers table don't think i'm just gonna sit there and take it.
I don't think that you have to or should just take it. However jumping the guy and beating his face in is not the appropriate response either. Calling the authorities on the jerk is not just taking it which would be the appropriate response. If someone throws beer or ice tea on you purposefully, he has assaulted you and should be arrested. However your physical well being is not in jeapordy to necesitate an overtly violent response. Getting thrown in jail will almost assuredly be worse than the whopping that you'd dish out and you don't have to worry about going to jail yourself or endangering innocents.
Artest didn't beat his face in. As a matter of fact Artest didn't hit anyone in the face that night other than the guys who stepped on the court. SJax was the one swinging haymakers. What your saying is the logical thing to do but you can't expect someone to think things through like that within a couple of seconds.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #83
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Quote:
if a guy throws an iced tea at me because I gave him the wrong order or if a guy throws a beer at my face while i'm on an announcers table don't think i'm just gonna sit there and take it.
I don't think that you have to or should just take it. However jumping the guy and beating his face in is not the appropriate response either. Calling the authorities on the jerk is not just taking it which would be the appropriate response. If someone throws beer or ice tea on you purposefully, he has assaulted you and should be arrested. However your physical well being is not in jeapordy to necesitate an overtly violent response. Getting thrown in jail will almost assuredly be worse than the whopping that you'd dish out and you don't have to worry about going to jail yourself or endangering innocents.
Artest didn't beat his face in.
Thankfully someone grabbed Artest's arm just before he let loose on him. I suppose we should give Artest credit for not being quicker in getting off his punches. It's obvious that he was cocking his right arm back to pund the guy.
Quote:
As a matter of fact Artest didn't hit anyone in the face that night other than the guys who stepped on the court. SJax was the one swinging haymakers. What your saying is the logical thing to do but you can't expect someone to think things through like that within a couple of seconds.
No, of course we can't expect a sub human idiotic thug such as Artest to think as an actual human with some sense of right and wrong.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #84
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thankfully someone grabbed Artest's arm just before he let loose on him. I suppose we should give Artest credit for not being quicker in getting off his punches. It's obvious that he was cocking his right arm back to pund the guy.
LOL. Artest had plenty of time to get a hit on the guy. It only took Stephen Jackson a second to get one off.

Quote:
No, of course we can't expect a sub human idiotic thug such as Artest to think as an actual human with some sense of right and wrong.

What exactly is your defintion of a thug? That word has been thrown around lately in the wrong context. It's just you don't really see many thugs who are worth over a millionaire dollars.

1996-2005
Old 11-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #85
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Artest didn't beat his face in. As a matter of fact Artest didn't hit anyone in the face that night other than the guys who stepped on the court. SJax was the one swinging haymakers. What your saying is the logical thing to do but you can't expect someone to think things through like that within a couple of seconds.

I no more expect Artest to think that through in a couple of seconds than I would expect him to wait until the end of a close game to learn how to shoot 3 pointers. In other words, how to act in a similar situation should have been considered and planned for long before Friday night. The NBA offers seminars for players to expressly deal with issues such at this.

BTW the replays I've seen it looks like Artest threw several punches at the guy who he 1st attacked and at least landed a few. However even if all Artest did was charge the stands and tackle the guy to wrestle with him, he deserved the suspension for the rest of the year. Artest was the 1st player into the stands and escalated the incident to a whole new level. That sort of behavior cannot be tolerated. If Artest can't do the job as an NBA player, which includes not charging into the stands if someone throws beer on you, then he can go off and produce records or wash dishes for a living.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #86
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
LOL. Artest had plenty of time to get a hit on the guy. It only took Stephen Jackson a second to get one off.

Quote:

What exactly is your defintion of a thug? That word has been thrown around lately in the wrong context. It's just you don't really see many thugs who are worth over a millionaire dollars.

I suppose he did have time to get a punch off. That makes things even worse...Even after getting to the guy and grabbing him and shoving him to the ground Artest still thought that it was a good idea to hit him. Thankfully someone grabbed his arm from behind.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #87
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

I no more expect Artest to think that through in a couple of seconds than I would expect him to wait until the end of a close game to learn how to shoot 3 pointers. In other words, how to act in a similar situation should have been considered and planned for long before Friday night. The NBA offers seminars for players to expressly deal with issues such at this.

BTW the replays I've seen it looks like Artest threw several punches at the guy who he 1st attacked and at least landed a few. However even if all Artest did was charge the stands and tackle the guy to wrestle with him, he deserved the suspension for the rest of the year. Artest was the 1st player into the stands and escalated the incident to a whole new level. That sort of behavior cannot be tolerated. If Artest can't do the job as an NBA player, which includes not charging into the stands if someone throws beer on you, then he can go off and produce records or wash dishes for a living.

Artest didn't throw a punch at the first guy at all. Stern even said that Artest was suspended for going into the stands and for his other antics this year. Most of the replays the media outlets show are showing Artest as a beast. As an animal so of course they are going to show him as if he's beating a guy to death but FoxSouthWest shows Artest on the overhead view and all he does it grabs the guy to the ground and asks him did he throw the beer. What Artest did was wrong. No doubt, but if all Sjax got was 30 games then Artest should've got 20 because he atleast had been provoked. Stephen Jackson was never provoked other than witnessing Artest get a beer thrown at him 2 times.

1996-2005
Old 11-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #88
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I suppose he did have time to get a punch off. That makes things even worse...Even after getting to the guy and grabbing him and shoving him to the ground Artest still thought that it was a good idea to hit him. Thankfully someone grabbed his arm from behind.

LOL. Artest had no intention of hitting that guy. If he did he could've because he had atleast 5 seconds to do it. Artest isn't this thug that goes around starting fights with people like you guys think. Not saying he isn't mentally crazy but he knows who to mess with and who not too. You saw how he didn't do at thing to Wallace because he knew better. I honestly think he's fooling all of us and is just promoting his album by that's just my opinion. He's definately getting plenty of promotion for free.

1996-2005
Old 11-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #89
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wallace should be suspended according to how many games other players have been suspended in the past for pushing another player.
After seeing a better video of what happened (the one that I had before was kinda small) I have to strongly disagree. Wallace acted like a total punk and is very lucky he got away with just a five game suspension. Not only did he overreact after a hard foul and shoved Artest. He also continued to go after Artest and even through a towel after him. He did provoke him right until the bottle was thrown. Looking at what the Pacers got Wallace should have gotten much more then just five games. He was one of the main reasons the situation escalated.
You can disagree with me, but you're wrong. Yes, he acted like a punk, but his suspension is in line with what you're suspended for shoving a player in such a manner. I guess you could suspend every player 20 games or whatever when they push another player in a dead ball situation. If you do that, Josh Howard would be starting a 20 game suspension tonight along with Kevin Garnett.

Yes, the situation escalated, but you have to look at what each individual player did to come up with their penalty. You must also look at what each fan did to come up with their penalty.

Artest wrongfully attacked a fan IN THE STANDS - suspended the rest of the season
The fan threw a cup of beer or ice on Artest - Possible assault charge? Possibly being banned from ever attending another game in Detroit?

Perhaps you can argue slightly more than 5 games...but no more than 7. Even that would be too much.
If shoving Artest was all Wallace did I´d agree with you. But oviously he did more then just shove him. He was still trying to get to Artest long after the shove which stirred up the fans even more. He then even threw a towel in Artests direction. He clearly did alot more in the situation then just shove Artest. 10 games minimum would have been more appropriate.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #90
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Artest didn't throw a punch at the first guy at all. Stern even said that Artest was suspended for going into the stands and for his other antics this year. Most of the replays the media outlets show are showing Artest as a beast. As an animal so of course they are going to show him as if he's beating a guy to death but FoxSouthWest shows Artest on the overhead view and all he does it grabs the guy to the ground and asks him did he throw the beer. What Artest did was wrong. No doubt, but if all Sjax got was 30 games then Artest should've got 20 because he atleast had been provoked. Stephen Jackson was never provoked other than witnessing Artest get a beer thrown at him 2 times.
It really doesn't matter if Artest threw a punch at the 1st guy or not. Artest charged into the stands 1st and brought the whole sordid situation to a much higher level of escalation that ever before has been present at an NBA game. Artest is damn lucky to get off as light as he did.

Now personally I would have suspened Stephen Jackson for the rest of the season, but I would have suspended Artest for at and entire 82 games, playoffs and preseason. Furthermore I would have made Artest undergo pyschiatric treatement for his emotional problems and be certified by a team of psychiatrists as being mentally compentent to handle great amounts of stress before I'd let him back in the NBA. What Jackson did was horrible, but Jackson did not escalate things as much as Artest nor does Jackson have the ugly history that Artest does. Also Artest clearly is not mentally right and needs treatment.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #91
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

It really doesn't matter if Artest threw a punch at the 1st guy or not. Artest charged into the stands 1st and brought the whole sordid situation to a much higher level of escalation that ever before has been present at an NBA game. Artest is damn lucky to get off as light as he did.

Now personally I would have suspened Stephen Jackson for the rest of the season, but I would have suspended Artest for at and entire 82 games, playoffs and preseason. Furthermore I would have made Artest undergo pyschiatric treatement for his emotional problems and be certified by a team of psychiatrists as being mentally compentent to handle great amounts of stress before I'd let him back in the NBA. What Jackson did was horrible, but Jackson did not escalate things as much as Artest nor does Jackson have the ugly history that Artest does. Also Artest clearly is not mentally right and needs treatment.
Actually it does matter. You shouldn't get suspended for an entire season for going into the crowd. Vernon Maxwell wasn't. You definately should be suspended but not for an entire season especially since what JO and SJax did were much worse. No one is diagreeing with you that Artest needs help. You think suspending him is going to give him that help? I'm not saying that it is or isn't but it seems like you are under the impression that he was suspended in order to get help.

1996-2005
Old 11-23-2004, 10:31 PM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If shoving Artest was all Wallace did I´d agree with you. But oviously he did more then just shove him. He was still trying to get to Artest long after the shove which stirred up the fans even more. He then even threw a towel in Artests direction. He clearly did alot more in the situation then just shove Artest. 10 games minimum would have been more appropriate.
So shoving a guy and trying to get at him is worth 10 games? Based upon what? Can you give us anything in the past that would indicate that shoving a player and then trying to get at him is worth 10 games? How many times has someone shoved a player and then tried to get at them?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 PM   #93
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

There are about 5 or 6 Artest threads so this may have been mentioned, but is there any way the Artest suspension stands considering that Vernon Maxwell was only suspended 10 games by the same commissioner for punching a fan? My guess is no.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #94
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
There are about 5 or 6 Artest threads so this may have been mentioned, but is there any way the Artest suspension stands considering that Vernon Maxwell was only suspended 10 games by the same commissioner for punching a fan? My guess is no.

I didn't really compare the two but I did mention how is Artests suspension with an entire season while Maxwell didn't even get that and he actually went into the stands and hit a guy. I know he didn't get an entire season for hitting those guys on the court.

1996-2005
Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #95
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Goodbye playoffs, Pacers

Indy won tonight....beating the celts

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote