Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Rebounding

I know I don't post much any more, but I do lurk and haven't seen a thread on this so here it goes.

As of today, the Mavs are the best rebounding team in the league.

Now what does this mean? Well, it means a lot. I have always said defense and rebounding are always mentioned together for a reason. To an extent, they go hand in hand. Defense is improving. But we are still a woeful defensive team.

They are also the 3rd best offensive team.

What does this mean? Well, someone once pointed out that the NBA championship is almost always won by a team that finishes first or second in 2 of 3 categories: Team offense; Team defense and Rebounding. I think last years' Spurs were the exception to this rule. We are top 3 in two. This team is on the right track.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2003, 11:29 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Rebounding

Good post, Dooby.

The team also posts a rebounding differential of 2.1 per game, which is 5th or 6th best in the league. Last year the Mavs had a -3 per game rebounding differential. That makes a huge difference.

We predicted the Mavs would be a very good rebounding team this year. We knew they'd remain a good offensive team. Even with the inferior record, this team is making strides toward becoming the "playoff ready" team that everyone wanted. There will just be some growing pains along the way.

They need to improve defensively. They need to get rid of some kinks offensively. I firmly believe that can happen.

Old 12-18-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs are also first in offensive rebounding. That really is amazing considering how horrible we were last year. I think we were like 18th last year, something like that. And let's see... of the team's top 5 rebounders this year, only one (Dirk) was here last year. Same w/offensive boards, only Dirk is 6th here, Eddie is 5th & he hardly plays anymore. This is a changed team, for sure, on paper at least a better one. They're getting there.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default RE: Rebounding

Actually the Great Rebounding is connected to our horrible shooting. I hope we finish not too good in rebounding, and increase our shooting percentages a bit.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

An update here:

Alan Henderson 17th in the league in RP48 (14.0)
Erick Dampier 26th in the league in RP48 (13.2)
Dirk Nowitzki 34th in the league in RP48 (12.5)

and

Dirk is 11th in rebounding per game (10.0rpg)
Erick Dampier is 33rd in RPG (7.4rpg)
Josh Howard is 35th (7.3)

thats a heck of a frontcourt.

Dallas is #1 in rebounds per game, but 11th in rebounding differential (we outrebound opponents by an average of 1.09 rebounds a game)

We also get 0.81 blocks per game more than our opponents. (9th in bpg with 5.65, 12 in fewest opponent bpg)

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

This team can be good if used properly. No more small ball. JET should be starting all the games.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs overall are only an average rebounding team at this point, grabbing 30.1% of the available offensive rebounds and 69.8% of the available defensive rebounds (ie., they get ~50% of available rebounds when offensive and defensive chances are equalized). The good news is that most of the guys that are emerging as primary contributors are the ones who seem to have the most positive influence on team rebounding success. From 82games, the Mavs rebound at 50.3% with Dirk on the floor, 51.4% with Josh, 52% with Terry, and 52.1% with Damp. We do well with Shawn as well (51.8%). Fin's impact is less impressive (49.2%), and the same goes for Stack, Henderson, Quis, and especially Devin (the team's only at 46.7% with him on the floor - this part of his game really needs some work).
Old 01-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

As a Mavs fan, I'm pretty happy any time the Mavs are averaging more rebounds than their opponent....So yeah, I'd like to see them average 3 more boards a game than their opponent, but I'm not disappointed with where they're at.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

GMC - I agree about Devin needing to improve his rebounding, a rarely mentioned or noticed fact. It's not like he doesn't have the tools; he just has to focus more on getting that done. Terry has averaged 3.5 rpg as a starter; no reason to think that Harris can't give you at least 1-1.5 rpg as the backup.

Murph - I pretty much agree with your sentiment about rebounding. I'd like it if the Mavs were a dominant rebounding team, but to me the most important thing is that they hold their own on the glass and don't get outrebounded, on average. What is much more important to me is where the Mavs rank offensively (PPG) and defensively (opp FG%). In those two categories, the Mavs are currently top 5 (No. 2 in PPG at 102.0; No. 5 in opp FG% at .430).

Old 01-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty dissapointing number of late though

last ten games
Indiana +6 (-3 on O-glass) in win
Los Angeles -6 ( -12 on O-glass) in win
Milwaukie -10 (-7 on O-glass) in win
Boston +9 (-1 on O-Glass) in win
Denver +18 (+6 on O-Glass) in win
Atlanta -8 (-4 on O-Glass) in loss
New York +3 (-6 on O-boards) in blowout win
Atlanta +12 (+3 on O-Boards) in win
Golden State -4 (+4 on O-Boards) in loss
Chicago -5 (+3 on O-Boards) in win

We've been outrebounded in half of those games (5/10), and outrebounded on the O-Glass in 7 of the last 10
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Statistically, this team will be up and down. My main key is that they continue to develop as a playoff team this year. I don't expect them to truly contend until next year anyway, so the fact that they are where they are statistically is only evidence of how they are developing. And as far as that goes, I like the fact that they are developing into a more defensive-minded club with an opportunistic offense.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
kg said: What is much more important to me is where the Mavs rank offensively (PPG) and defensively (opp FG%). In those two categories, the Mavs are currently top 5 (No. 2 in PPG at 102.0; No. 5 in opp FG% at .430).
those stats are a mindjob when thinking of this team two and three years ago...
they have kept the high-flying scoring and added imposing defense...time is all they need now.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
outrebounded on the O-Glass in 7 of the last 10

Not a lot of available offensive rebounds when you shoot as well as the mavs have over that stretch...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote