Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-11-2002, 03:28 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

just a question...well, i don't remember as many solid, young pitchers in the majors at any time in the the past 20 years as there are now.. it's exciting.. i love watching the A's play..great pitchers.. the astros...putting out great pitcher after great pitcher.
even the rangers have some very solid arms coming up.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You know last year I kept hearing about all these young pitchers and the season started off that way, but towards the end, there were still only few dominating pitchers. However so far this season, I'd have to agree, there are pitchers that are looking VERY good and pitching well. I would like to see better pitching in the major leagues myself and get the game of baseball back to being a great game that ends up 3-1.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

MLB needs to raise the pitching mounds. Years ago,they lowered them 10 inches to add offense. They should do something to help pitchers out. I say we raise them 5 inches and see what happens.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you're right kid..some of the young guys didn't put together full seasons..but, that's somewhat to be expected earlier in their careers.. however, i think we'll see better pitching this year and for years to come with all the up and coming players
Old 04-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

Once that happens, then we can distinguish who the good hitters are once again. I think the past few years 30 hr has been someone of an easy task, I remember the days when 30 hrs was one of the elite players.

Which team would you say has the best group of young pitchers? I would personally say Philly does.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:31 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

i would say oakland..it's hard to argue with hudson, moulder, and zito

also, you have to remember that yes, 30 homeruns used to be alot.. but back in the 30's and 40's..30 wouldn't get you ranked near as high in the HR leaders as it did in the 80's
Old 04-11-2002, 08:15 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the umpires have been FORCED to call high strikes again this year. It's a little easier to get outs now.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:17 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Best young staff = A's (esp. since they are all signed long term to low contracts)

Dooby- I like the idea of raising the mound.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:34 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

You're right, I guess I would give the edge to the A's. However I'm more of a National League guy, I guess that's why I didn't really recognize them. I like the game more withOUT the DH.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:48 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Well, I just want the rule to be the same in both leagues. I suppose I prefer the national league rules but it makes little difference to me.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:54 AM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I like the idea of raising the mound a little bit. As far as the quality of pitching today, I don't think it is any worse than 30-40 years ago.

Here is my theory. Over the last 15 years or so Major league players have become fitness nuts. Look at the size of the guys right now. Being able to bench press 350 pounds makes a significant impact upon a batter. A pitcher however does not suddenly throw it 5mph faster because he is in good shape. I think the advantageof weight training has made the batters better while the pitchers improvement has been stagnant with weight training.

A what if scenario: imagine what Mantle would have done in hos career if he took care of himself like players do today. No drinking, a reconstructed knee, and 25 pounds of muscle.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:29 AM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

Dooby I'm in agreement, I would like to see the same for both.

Raising the mound I think would help alot also, but they've talked about it forever but it still hasn't happened.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:52 PM   #13
BiteMeVescey

BiteMeVescey is on a distinguished road

What's really infuriating to think is that Zito was a Ranger's draft pick but for whatever reason they couldn't come to terms on a deal. Oh what might have been[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Anyhow I think the pitching is starting to emerge from the slump that was created by the overexpansion of the 90's (do we really need a team in Tampa Bay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] ). Eventually things begin to even out.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:11 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Zito asked for a signing bonus in the 500,000 range and Melvin blinked. Thank goodness Melvin is gone. I for one won't miss him.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:06 AM   #15
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

It's not the pitchers suck. Heck the pitchers are most likely better than they were in years past, they have ot be. It's just that they can't compete at the level they used too. Breakthroughs in training haven't improved pitchers near as much as they've improved hitters. Couple that with how much the mounds have been lowered and presto. 2 starting pitchers had ERAs below 3.00 last season, 2. an ERA in the 3s used to be considered average to good. Back in an era when at least half a dozen pitchers had ERAs under 3.00 and sometimes under 2.00 occasionally. Nowadays any pitcher who can manage an ERA under 3.00 or sometimes just in the low 3's is considered a stud. I can't believe this sport was once our national pastime. What a joke. Batball sucks.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Breakthroughs in training haven't improved pitchers near as much as they've improved hitters.

Good Point.

I can't believe this sport was once our national pastime. What a joke. Batball sucks.

Let's not get crazy here. Baseball is still the national pastime...even with the decline in pitching.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:04 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Breakthroughs in training haven't improved pitchers near as much as they've improved hitters.

Good Point.

I can't believe this sport was once our national pastime. What a joke. Batball sucks.

Let's not get crazy here. Baseball is still the national pastime...even with the decline in pitching.