Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default couple ideas regarding Dampier and Stackhouse, off-season...

1. Dampier shouldn't be thrown the ball facing the rim. Let him catch with his back to the basket, and throw him soft lobs and bounce passes. I hate it when he's thrown Brett Favre passes in the post and then the guards hang their heads when he can't handle them. Dampier is a CENTER, not a bullet pass catching guard.

2. THE PICK AND ROLL. What happened to it? When it was run, Dirk wasn't the recepient...I would love to see Avery work in a Stackhouse/Dirk pick and roll. That play, if it proved to be effective, would help the spacing tremendously, which ended up being a huge problem. Both Stack and Dirk can shoot it from midrange or take it to the rack, and the D can't afford to slack off on either man.

3. Sign Dan Gadzuric. The Bucks have the 1st pick, and will likely take Bogut. Gadzuric is a MLE player, and the Bucks have other fish to fry. Strike while the iron is hot and get Dampier an athletic backup. The man can rebound and is the type to finish those hard passes. A 4/5 tweener, but better than what we have.

4. Send money to get a early 2nd round draft choice, and select Salim Stoudamire. He could be the third point guard, even though his point guard skills are rudimentary at best...he is still, however, an amazing shooter. He could be the spot up man we've all talked about. He can't really do a damn thing other than shoot, but neither could Steve Kerr, and we know how his career went.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: couple ideas regarding Dampier and Stackhouse, off-season...

1. Damp should probably be posted up more than he has been, but he still needs to work on his hands. They're definitely below average.

2. No doubt.

3. I'd be so happy to see us get Gad.

4. How tall is Salim?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
endtroducing
Golden Member

6'1 to 6'2, depending on who you ask. the way he shoots, though, his height is a non-factor...since he faced taller men all through college, his shot is a huge rainbow...the arc on it is incredible. I've seen him shoot over 6'9 guys without any hesitation.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I'd love to get Salim; I really think he can be a star in this league. He was so clutch in college, loved watching him play. However realistically he'll probably go somewhere from 18-25.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
endtroducing
Golden Member

he's projected to be a 2nd round pick due to his poor point guard skills. he'd really have to learn how to play the position. him being a first rounder would be very shocking.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default RE:couple ideas regarding Dampier and Stackhouse, off-season...

Salim is an interesting prospect. He doesn't have a pro position but he can shoot the heck out of the ball. Plus he is pretty good getting his own shot. U of A has a pretty good list of guards in the pros over the past 10 or so years. Salim needs to go to the right team but I think he could definately have a future as a rotation guard.

Another knock on Salim is prior to his senior year he was terrible to deal with. Olson almost threw him off the team prior to his senior year. He was fine his senior year but sort of has that NVE type attitude from his younger days.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

6'1" is pretty short for a point guard and Stoudamire has ZERO point guard skill. He's a streaky shooter-- a Jason Terry with less experience and some questionable ethic. Why would we want him again?

Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Ray Felton

Those guys are all points that can lead the floor, but tell me: why would we want a second young guy? It would also take quite a bit to get any of those three.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #8
endtroducing
Golden Member

um, did you even read my post? he'd be the THIRD point guard, and used only to shoot. I know he's not a good floor leader.

he doesn't at all play like Terry, either. Terry made his name on driving the ball and scoring in the paint, especially in college. Salim is almost a strictly perimeter shooter. that's why I want him. he has an amazing outside shot.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

We could use a true backup 4, since there probably won’t be a decent one available go with the deadly shooter...it's always nice to be able to bring a pure shooter off the bench.

Entro, Terry shot more 3's at AZ than you think. His senior year he put up 6.59 per game compared with Salim's 6.61 this past year. The difference...Terry shot 40% whereas Salim shot 50%. Those numbers don't tell the whole story since JT was all the Wildcats had his senior year...still 50% is amazing when you consider the number of shots he put up.

Gadzuric is worth the full MLE, but I refuse to believe that the Bucks will let him get away for that. Doesn’t matter if they pick up Bogut or Williams, both of them can play the 4. If they get TJ back a starting lineup of Ford, Redd, Mason, Bogut and Gadzuric could make some noise in the East.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

the problem with running a dirk/stack pick and roll is that stack is going to shoot the ball over 80% of the time. he is just too one dimensional on offense and running that play would be terribly inefficient when dirk is our number one option on offense.

if our roster stays pat this off season, the one big thing i think we really need is a play making PG. not a fill it up PG like starbury or francis, but a guy who can create shots for his teammates. not sure a ton of them exist outside of nash, kidd, and maybe tj ford (if healthy), but hte mavs really need one.

i love jason terry, i love his heart and hustle, and pure guts, but he's barely serviceable as a PG. he really should be our vinnie microwave johnson coming off the bench for us. if devin harris has really fallen out of favor with the mavs, then we need to make a move to try to get a play making PG immediately.

edit: forgot to add one thing. all this talk of adding a athletic 4/5 big man as a backup is nice, but its not a priority. if we give pavel and mbenga henderson's minutes from this year, we should be in pretty decent shape. i think all this clammoring came from the phoenix series when we got beat by stoudamire like a government rented mule, but from my observation, i think thats more of a case that nobody can really stop him. stoudamire is averaging 37 pts against the vaunted spurs defense. i was telling a friend the other day that i've never seen someone who gets more foul calls simply by being breathed on then amare. its really ridiculous.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #11
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange i was telling a friend the other day that i've never seen someone who gets more foul calls simply by being breathed on then amare. its really ridiculous.
Wow, I have thought exactly the same thing, but havent heard anyone else say it. It looked like that against the Mavs, then still the same thing vs SA. It is like the refs expect contact, so they blow their whistle and call a foul even though nothing foul-worthy occurs. Phantom fouls right and left, with no (or minimal) real contact.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

amare gets breathed on and he goes to the foul line. Dirk gets knocked on his ass and refs look the other way. It is a message they are sending to mav's. Amare getting superstar treatment and Dirk isn't is a real travesty.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I would like a more athletic presence in the frontcourt, but I don't think it's a huge necessity either. If Van Horn was playing, the athleticism goes up quite a bit. On top of that, there wouldn't be a ton of minutes available if you have Dirk, Damp, and Kieth all playing above you. My big hope would be to see Mbenga become an athletic force that you throw on the floor in certain situations and just turn loose. I don't know if he'll be ready though.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: slowmo
amare gets breathed on and he goes to the foul line. Dirk gets knocked on his ass and refs look the other way. It is a message they are sending to mav's. Amare getting superstar treatment and Dirk isn't is a real travesty.
I think this is true, but you have to give some credit to Amare. He has such an insane vertical that he just jumps as high as he can (many times into the defender) with his elbows out and just waits for someone to touch one of his arms. I do agree though that he gets an inordinate amount of calls (especially for being the playoffs).
Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I mean isn't Gadzuric just a more advanced version of Benga? Who knows what an offseason with this team will do for Benga. If you can get Gadzuric for the mid-level than fine because I don't think you can never have enough big men but i'd hate to stop the progression of Benga and Pavel.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #16
endtroducing
Golden Member

"isn't Gadzuric just a more advanced version of Benga?"

that was the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing

that was the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen.
It is? Obviously you didn't read your reply because I don't see how using a question mark is considered a statement.

1996-2005
Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

FFM, he may be simply a more advanced version of DJ, or at least a more advanced version of what the stories about DJ have suggested he might be. But, to give a somewhat exaggerated analogy, just because Scottie Pippen in his prime may have been a more advanced version of what Josh Howard might someday be doesn't mean I wouldn't take Scottie Pippen over JHo (at any point in Josh's career) without blinking an eye.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont' think so. Gadzuric rebounds at an incredibally high rate. From what I've seen of DJ in exhibiton games and summer league, he's a poor rebounder for someone as big and quick as he is.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
FFM, he may be simply a more advanced version of DJ, or at least a more advanced version of what the stories about DJ have suggested he might be. But, to give a somewhat exaggerated analogy, just because Scottie Pippen in his prime may have been a more advanced version of what Josh Howard might someday be doesn't mean I wouldn't take Scottie Pippen over JHo (at any point in Josh's career) without blinking an eye.
No doubt. I'd sign Gadzuric for the mid-level. I'm one of the ones in favor of signing another 4 or 5 on this team. Just as long as we are still able to develop our other bigs like Benga and Pavel i'm fine with the signing.

1996-2005
Old 05-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000

I dont' think so. Gadzuric rebounds at an incredibally high rate. From what I've seen of DJ in exhibiton games and summer league, he's a poor rebounder for someone as big and quick as he is.
I wouldn't no because i'll admit I haven't seen Gadzuric play much other than his stints with the Mavs and it seems he always has a good game against us. I remember when he came into the league during summer league. He was looking amazing. Dunking and blocking everything that came his way. I'd imagine Benga should eventually become a better rebounder what's he gets a feel for the game.

1996-2005