Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light
Default Figuring out PHX ...

I may or may not be wrong on this, but

You know im thinking to myself right, and I wonder; I see the articles on espn about the "new phx defense". I see how the media is playing up the new players and the change in philosophy. How they committed to making stops. I also see, how they routinely give up 100 point nights to many of the teams they play and I wonder; what is it that theyre seeing that I don’t?

And I think its this…

We've bought into this statistic that shows us that a team that averages more possessions can be on par with a team that has fewer possessions defensively because if you were to even out the possessions, they seemingly give up the same amount of points. And nothing can be further from the truth. I think what they don’t take into account is the lack of quality possessions, during that game. Take into account the pace they run. Think of how an opponent would possibly and quite often give in and try to run, and make more mistakes than they normally would. Think of how a team would shoot themselves into a corner and shooting threes to get back into a game that they were shot out of by themselves and phx. In a sense the best defense, is the best offense. But you also look at the number of close games that phoenix has lost. How they weren't able to get stops late in the 4th and overtime. You judge a teams defensive integrity by how they perform at the most critical times, and that is where that statistic fails. Sure they have made some improvements, but in the end you are what you are.

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

They are a more athleitc version of the mavs a few years ago. They have exciting games, highscoring, and end up with a great record and a good seed. But we see time and time again that defense wins it in the end. Not outscoring the opponent. They will fall in the playoffs, like they did last year, like the Mavs did a few years ago.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Funny, I just made nearly the same post on realgm.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying he copied your post?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

who? me or Triple T's?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Are you saying he copied your post?
not at all, just great minds think alike. He probably posted a few minutes before me actually. Same content, just from different people.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Do not forget they are missing Amare. With him in the mix, late game situations change. You can run a pick and roll, drive to the basket and not have to rely upon outside shooters. If Amare comes back, it will take time for him to fit into their current mix, but no doubt he gives them a finisher. The added bonus for the Suns is that Amare was a leader in F/T attempts last year, something they have really missed this year.
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

thats shilarious. its true tho. now i have to go over to realgm...

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't buy that they'll be better than they were last year when Amare comes back. A little deeper, sure, but still no interior defense (Kurt nowhere near the defender he once was) and they still get killed on the glass. And I still think they lost more than they believe when JJ left. They kind of remind me of the 03-04 Kings. That team pretty much played over their heads for the season, playing Miller in Cwebb's place. Then everyone figured they would dominate when CWebb came back and it just didn't happen. I see the Suns having a similar fate. They might even get to the WCF again because of the stupid seedings, but Amare or no Amare, they won't beat the Mavs or Spurs.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-01-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote