Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #41
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

That is a career list plus i disagree with it so i did my own. Plus mine is an at their peak list whereas that is a career list.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #42
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

So that's why you didn't have Walt Frazier in you list...ok

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Actually i looked it up and i added that he should have made the honorable mention in the other thread. HE has an argument but i dont think that he was top 10.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #44
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Here's my beef: I could truly give a rat's a** about Mike "I love myself, and I think I'm being neglected" James; I'm just truly tired of these overpaid, adolescent, babies playing us with impunity. I think that Cuban should just forget about these types of free agents; they're not even worth the effort. He should just flat out tell people that if they want to play in Dallas, they can call HIM and make a reasonable offer. Otherwise, we stick to S & T's and the draft, and lower-tiered players who WANT a chance to play here. We are just repeatedly being made to look like fools. AND, finally, I would NEVER again sign ANYONE represented by Duffy (unless they were already on the team right now). I'm totally disgusted by these people. People get on Cuban because he's rich and quirky, but these players and agents are absolutely some of the lowest people in our society; and these are many people's "role models"! Pathetic.

Last edited by Captain Disaster; 07-12-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #45
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Steve Nash is a freak of nature and a gimmick MVP- one of the most interesting players in NBA history but far from one of the best. What he is is maybe the biggest offensive dynamo that the NBA has ever seen at the point guard position... He is an almost unfathomably good pure shooter and finisher, and a very good passer (although probably not top ten in NBA history), so he generates a lot of points just with the purest mechanics of his game... But on top of that, he does something unique, which is single-handedly blast the pace of any game he is allowed to control into a warp speed beyond what Magic Johnson was ever capable of that opens up the floor and results in rapid explosions of points for his teammates. Nash is the ultimate Nelson student- just by being on the floor he makes any game into a track meet and a scoring exposition, to an extent that is actually pretty much unprecedented in the NBA, and so he has made his mark as one of the most gifted pure offensive players the league has ever seen (and he was when he was in Dallas, too, he just didn't get the respect until he got the trophy).

HOWEVER, when you run Steve Nash you run the Steve Nash game, and that means you've gotta take the bad with the good. By speeding up the pace of the game and opening up the floor for scorers, he also creates gaping holes in defenses that can't set in time, makes it more difficult for backcourt defenders to maintain good positioning, and exposes poor mobility in frontcourt defenders (poor Shawn, Calvin Booth). Steve Nash is both an offensive dynamo and a gaping hole for whatever team he plays for- he makes offenses better and defenses worse. In other words, perhaps to a greater extent than just about anyone in NBA history, Steve Nash single-handedly makes BOTH teams on the floor significantly better offensively, and that's why he has been the heart and soul of the flawed Mavericks of the early 2000's and these flawed Phoenix teams today. He probably deserved the MVP by default two years ago uplifting that suns crew in a year pretty much devoid of equivalently impressive single-player performances, but his winning a second MVP was a joke...

Steve Nash is just Don Nelson's ultimate Frankenstein's monster set loose on the league- he is incredibly interesting and incredibly talented but his name hardly deserves to be featured on a list with real all-time greats like Johnson, Stockton, and Robertson. Personally, I enjoyed the run, but I am tired of rooting for run-and-gun Nash teams that invariably fail, and I am glad he's gone so we can move on.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #46
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinator
Steve Nash is a freak of nature and a gimmick MVP- one of the most interesting players in NBA history but far from one of the best. What he is is maybe the biggest offensive dynamo that the NBA has ever seen at the point guard position... He is an almost unfathomably good pure shooter and finisher, and a very good passer (although probably not top ten in NBA history), so he generates a lot of points just with the purest mechanics of his game... But on top of that, he does something unique, which is single-handedly blast the pace of any game he is allowed to control into a warp speed beyond what Magic Johnson was ever capable of that opens up the floor and results in rapid explosions of points for his teammates. Nash is the ultimate Nelson student- just by being on the floor he makes any game into a track meet and a scoring exposition, to an extent that is actually pretty much unprecedented in the NBA, and so he has made his mark as one of the most gifted pure offensive players the league has ever seen (and he was when he was in Dallas, too, he just didn't get the respect until he got the trophy).

HOWEVER, when you run Steve Nash you run the Steve Nash game, and that means you've gotta take the bad with the good. By speeding up the pace of the game and opening up the floor for scorers, he also creates gaping holes in defenses that can't set in time, makes it more difficult for backcourt defenders to maintain good positioning, and exposes poor mobility in frontcourt defenders (poor Shawn, Calvin Booth). Steve Nash is both an offensive dynamo and a gaping hole for whatever team he plays for- he makes offenses better and defenses worse. In other words, perhaps to a greater extent than just about anyone in NBA history, Steve Nash single-handedly makes BOTH teams on the floor significantly better offensively, and that's why he has been the heart and soul of the flawed Mavericks of the early 2000's and these flawed Phoenix teams today. He probably deserved the MVP by default two years ago uplifting that suns crew in a year pretty much devoid of equivalently impressive single-player performances, but his winning a second MVP was a joke...

Steve Nash is just Don Nelson's ultimate Frankenstein's monster set loose on the league- he is incredibly interesting and incredibly talented but his name hardly deserves to be featured on a list with real all-time greats like Johnson, Stockton, and Robertson. Personally, I enjoyed the run, but I am tired of rooting for run-and-gun Nash teams that invariably fail, and I am glad he's gone so we can move on.
The problem with that is that there WAS a dominant individual season 2 years ago. It came from our very own dirk nowitzki.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #47
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

steve nash talk as yet again hijacked another quality thread....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #48
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Speaking on the thread topic, I don't think we're getting screwed. We have over paid people on this team, and we couldn't offer him the most. That's what it usually comes down to, how much you're going to pay him.

We could've kept Nash had we paid him just a bit more, but we didn't. If you want to compete for the best, you need to find a way to open the wallet all the way up. So, IMO - Cuban did the right thing. He valued James' worth, and decided he wouldn't go beyond that.

So we get Devin in the gym, and work his ass off . And next year, Devin should be a terror in this league.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #49
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie
So we get Devin in the gym, and work his ass off . And next year, Devin should be a terror in this league.
and don't think this isn't happening...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote