Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all
Cool West Finalists Looking Better

West finalists looking betterBy Kiki Vandeweghe, ESPN.com

The Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks played Thursday night, a meeting of two Western powers that entered the game with a combined one win between them.

It was good to see these two revert to form, giving a playoff game-like performance. The Mavs earned their first win of the season 119-112 moving to 1-4. The Suns are 1-5. Yes, those are your Western Conference finalists from last year.

I thought it was a gut-check game for both teams. Especially the Mavs, who were coming off a low-energy performance against the Clippers.

But Dirk Nowitzki (35 points) stepped up big time. He willed his team to victory. For Dallas to have a guy like Jerry Stackhouse fill in for Josh Howard, is impressive. I thought Jason Terry (30 points) did a very good job. Hopefully this jump-starts the season on the right path.

A bright spot for Phoenix was Amare Stoudemire, who played 35 minutes and competed with the same intensity that he did two years ago. You saw the power dunks that made him so good. This is a game that he can build on. Games like tonight should show him that he can compete at the highest level.

Even though Howard and Raja Bell didn't play, both teams seemed to rise to the occasion. When these two teams play better on offense, their defense seems to get better too.

Coming into this game, I thought the Mavs had taken the NBA Finals loss hard. Now their challenge is finding the motivation and team chemistry needed to get back to the championship. As for the Suns, their main task is working Stoudemire back from injury and into the team's fast flow.

First, the Mavs. If you look back at the first quarter of the season last year, there were a lot of games where they would win a bunch of crazy, last-quarter comebacks, games you might call "lucky" wins.

Now, early on, they haven't been quite as lucky.

They've certainly played some tough teams (Spurs, Rockets and Hornets) along with a Golden State team that they have matchup problems with. It didn't help that newcomer Devean George was sidelined for the first three games with a stomach ailment.

It's a team that's still evolving. Coach Avery Johnson brought in hustle players like Greg Buckner, Austin Croshere and Anthony Johnson. These guys are role players and in some cases better than just role players. How they fit into the Mavs' system is the challenge. This is a team still being reshaped.

Overall, the Mavs aren't looking quite as wide open as last year. They play in some complex schemes, and there's going to be some growing pains. But they have way too much talent to stay down for long.

Now, the Suns. They too have had a tough early schedule. Phoenix is a very good team when Steve Nash is creating opportunities for teammates all over the court.

Because of their style of play, you can always catch them even if they're up by 20, and conversely, they can always catch you when you're up 20.

But they would be harder to catch with an effective and healthy Stoudemire, who's still working his way back from microfracture knee surgery, his minutes limited for now. Coming back is also mental too -- getting back to his old way of playing means becoming comfortable with the knee.

Ultimately, it's a risk-reward question for the Suns. The risk is found in the difficulty fitting him into the system -- going that way may end up costing the Suns some games. His presence affects how Boris Diaw is used -- Amare needs space on the floor and room to operate.

The reward of having Stoudemire is worth the risk of short-term losses. This is a team that has the potential to go much further if they get Amare healthy and in the Phoenix flow. Without him, the team doesn't look like one that is at the level of winning a championship.

The whole dynamic of team chemistry is a very tricky thing. You can't underestimate it.

Look at the Nuggets -- a team that last season won the Northwest Division, finding that delicate balance needed for a winning NBA team.

Now, they're struggling a bit, with three close losses to start the season.

The Suns and Mavs are having some struggles early on, but better times are coming for both. Thursday's game showed that.

ESPN analyst Kiki Vandeweghe, who was the Nuggets GM for five years until last spring, played 13 NBA seasons, averaging 19.7 ppg for four teams from 1981-1993.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Who wants to email Kiki to tell him we haven't played the Hornets yet?

Last edited by WurzburgBorn; 11-10-2006 at 12:04 PM.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even though Howard and Raja Bell didn't play, both teams seemed to rise to the occasion. When these two teams play better on offense, their defense seems to get better too.
umm.....
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
Quote:

umm.....
Yeah. Really fantastic defense by both teams last nighht, huh?
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WurzburgBorn
By Kiki Vandeweghe, ESPN.com
When these two teams play better on offense, their defense seems to get better too.
Isn't this an oxymoron?

Oh, never mind... I guess anyone with the name Kiki must be a moron

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 11-10-2006 at 01:24 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

He should stick to coaching.....oh, wait....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

First, the Mavs. If you look back at the first quarter of the season last year, there were a lot of games where they would win a bunch of crazy, last-quarter comebacks, games you might call "lucky" wins.

Now, early on, they haven't been quite as lucky.

They've certainly played some tough teams (Spurs, Rockets and Hornets) along with a Golden State team that they have matchup problems with. It didn't help that newcomer Devean George was sidelined for the first three games with a stomach ailment.

I don't remember player the Hornets.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

lol I didnt catch that.

those hornets looked an awful lot like clippers to me
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.. all you have to do is look it up on NBA.com, but noooooooooo....
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

What a pointless article. It sounds like someone recorded and wrote down sideline reporting. Maybe a Point would help.

....and now for something completely different.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

Quote:
when the fuck did they play the hornets? if kiki cant get his facts right, his article is fucking pointless.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #11
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

really, the better defense thing is what the TNT announcers were saying that night as well; so no, hes not a moron just because he doesnt echo the thoughts and sentiments of us lesser individuals when it comes to basketball intelligence. These teams feed off of the energy produced on offense. Not vice versa as in a San Antonio. Check Dallas defensive stats in the last 6 minutes of that game. They made stops when they had to.

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote