Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs at Blazers: 2-4

Call it a winning streak

The Mavs made tonight's game against against Portland a little more difficult than it probably should have been. Credit goes to Portland too though. In the end, the Mavs made the necessary plays down the stretch for the second straight game to get another win on the road 103-96.

The Mavs shot 55%, got 21 assists, and held the Blazers to 46% shooting. Now, the 46% shooting may not sound a lot like "holding" but it's an improvement for this group. More than any numbers though, Dallas looks like they are starting to come together a little more. Guys seem to be settling into roles and making better contributions. That's the most encouraging thing to me.

I like what Portland has going for them eventually. Lamarcus Aldridge was impressive to me. I like his length and feel for the game. As he learns more, he's got a chance to be a force. Jarrett Jack is another kid I like. He's always seemed like a leader and a real warrior at the point guard position. He can play for me. Zach Randolph might be the best post-scorer in the league. Nate McMillan is a good young coach too. If I were a big fan of theirs, I wish they had been a little more wise in some of their spending and drafting. All in all, they have some pieces if they can live through the learning stages.

As for the Mavs...

I love what Devin Harris is giving this team right now. Simply put, this team is much better when Devin Harris is on the floor and making things happen. The sad thing is that a lot of people probably don't even notice all of the little things he does to help this team. He has been playing very good defense, and I love the way he has been so willing to help his teammates. He sees the game well, is the best passer on the team, and is doing all kinds of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. I think this team is starting to figure out how much better he makes them. By the way, all of those people who act like Devin hasn't improved his shooting need to watch him at the free throw line. The improvement is obvious. 8 points, 4 assists, and 3 rebounds.

Anthony Johnson is another guy who seems to be settling into his role of backup point guard. He still takes a shot or two every once in a while that surprises me, but he's been efficient. I think the Mavs will take that from him.

Jason Terry has probably been the single biggest reason that this team has played better the last couple of games. Jet's early struggles shooting the ball have disappeared. He looks like he is back to being the big shot maker that everyone in Dallas has come to rely on. He had an efficient 24 points tonight, and it's becoming more clear that Jet is wanted more as a scorer than distributor. He has the ball in his hands a lot, but the Mavs are falling in love even more with bringing him off screens and allowing him to be the spot up shooter. When Devin is on the floor with Jet, that is a nightmare to defend.

Maurice Ager is getting his feet wet a little bit at a time early in games. Apparently, Avery wants the young player to get some early season minutes in the part of the game where he can play with guys like Dirk or Jet and have a chance for success. Ager took a few shots in his limited minutes, and he came away empty. He did find a steal off a deflection from a teammate. I'm optimistic that he can do a little more with those minutes as the season progresses.

Jerry Stackhouse had one of those nights that just about summed up his time in Dallas. He started the game by playing defense and being unexpectedly unselfish. He hit several midrange jumpers. He the proceeded to try to make passes he had no business making. He took shots that he shouldn't have been taking. He got beat off the dribble, and he feel asleep on defense. And just when you were about wanting to kill him, he dives on the floor for a steal, makes a nice pass, and hits another shot. Jerry Stackhouse - you love him and hate him - sometimes on the same possession.

I'm falling in love with Greg Buckner all over again. I always felt like Buck was a little bit of a misfit in this starting lineup. I love his defense, energy, effort, and improved ability to hit a shot. I just think he's a much better fit coming off the bench. He had 9 points on 6 shots, 3 rebounds, and he played his typical workmanlike game.

Dirk Nowitzki is pretty good. The team has felt like they were sleep-walking all season long, and you wake up to see that Dirk is still right there around 25-10 every night. I really liked what Dirk did in the third quarter by getting his team in solid control of the game by working his way to the line over and over again. Dirk's passing just keeps getting better too. The Blazers were pretty aggressive with their double teams, but Dirk was patient with them and did a good job of getting his teammates open looks.

Devean George is another guy who is going to help this team. I love having high energy guys off the bench. George probably hasn't hit a shot yet, and he's made too many turnovers, but I'm more than willing to overlook that for the time being. For one thing, I don't think he's all the way healthy, but his effort covers a multitude of transgressions. I will say right now, the Mavs are going to absolutely fall in love with Devean's ability to switch pick and rolls and still be a quality defender.

Erick Dampier sure is working hard. For a guy who has taken a beating concerning his effort, the guy has worked his tail off. It hasn't always paid off. Damp still commits a couple of turnovers a game that make you cringe - either by dropping a pass he should catch, getting caught in the lane for longer than 3 seconds, or setting an illegal pick. His defense has been very good though, and Zach Randolph can probably attest to that. He's also done his usual work on the boards, and he seems to be doing a better job of scoring inside.

Desagana Diop was also effective, although he is clearly your second center for now. Diop showed a nifty left-handed finish inside, and he did a good job of working for rebounds and challenging shots.

So the Mavs do remember how to win. Hopefully they are back on the right track. I really do think that more of a set rotation has done this team wonders. Now, if they can continue to work out some of the kinks and lapses on defense, as well as fine tuning a suddenly hot offense, this team has a chance to get back in a hurry because the chemistry looks like it's coming.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been thinking of something the last few days since i read a bill simmons column in which he was ragging on doc rivers. Whats the difference between doc and Aj besides the fact that Aj has better players? The criticisms of Doc also apply to the mavs, one on one iso offense, no set rotation.... So Im curious what makes him different other than having better players, one is the consensus worst coach in the nba and the other is the reigning coach of the year, just goes to show how overrated coaching is in my book...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
yohjif

yohjif will become famous soon enough

terry played awesome late in the 4th qtr
when blazers cut the deficit to one, terry had a 2+1, a def. reb, an assist and a three!
quite impressive performance
yohjif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
just goes to show how overrated coaching is in my book...
I've been on this for quite a while. The effect that a coach has on an individual game in the NBA is very overrated. If your team listens to you and plays hard every night then you're a good coach.

I’m not saying strategy isn’t important because it is. The problem is, basketball isn’t a very complex game so being good with X’s and O’s won’t give you a sustainable competitive advantage. You get a basketball lifer on the bench next to you you’re bases are covered there.

Most games, especially in the playoffs, are decided by great players doing great things.

As far as the game, it's good to see the mavs executing in the last 3 minutes again. We've never been a dominant team. We won 60 games last year because Dirk and Jet are two of the most clutch players in the league. If they're not making big shots we're just pretty good.

If there's one thing I'd like to see Devin pick up from Parker it's his ability go draw fouls. When TP gets in the lane he's like a heat seaking missle looking for a big to initiate contact with. Devin is on the other end of the spectrum as he goes out of his way to avoid contact.

Still, i'm glad to see him getting 30 minutes a night. That'll definitly make us a better team later in the year. He's only going to improve.

Last edited by dirno2000; 11-13-2006 at 02:00 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs come out on top again, 103-96

12:15 AM CST on Monday, November 13, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

PORTLAND, Ore. – The journey of a thousand miles – or back from an 0-4 start – begins with a few dedicated footsteps.

The Mavericks made up some ground Sunday night not only with a victory, but with the way they got it.

Jerry Stackhouse picked up nine assists and three steals. Erick Dampier did his best to slow down perhaps the hottest player in the league, Zach Randolph. And the Mavericks made shots when it counted.

Put it together and a gritty 103-96 triumph over the Portland Trail Blazers at the Rose Garden gave them a modest two-game winning streak and a sense that they figuring out a few things about themselves.

"We knew we were better than 0-4," said Stackhouse, who had 16 points to go with his solid floor game. "But the psyche of basketball is so fragile. This is a lot better place to be than we were. We want to get it snowballing in the right direction."

The Mavericks took care of business against a young, energetic Portland team by making frequent stops at the free throw line in the third quarter, when they closed out the period with a 33-18 blitz to go ahead, 77-64.

One play at the end of the period was emblematic of their improved play of late.

The Mavericks were up by 11 when Anthony Johnson tipped a ball away from Blazers' guard Dan Dickau. Johnson then was fed from the ground by Jerry Stackhouse, who outhustled the Blazers for the ball by diving hard to the floor, and Johnson got an uncontested dunk.

The Blazers made a commendable push in the fourth quarter, and one of their leaders was Seagoville's LaMarcus Aldridge, who was playing his first NBA game – and doing so rather well.

He had 10 points and eight rebounds in 19 minutes and followed a miss to bring the Blazers within 86-85 with just over two minutes left.

But Jason Terry converted a three-point play, and Stackhouse got loose for a layup as the Mavericks pulled away in the final minute. Dirk Nowitzki led Dallas with 26 points. Terry added 24.

"I think we're starting to understand that we have to play a certain way," Terry said. "We can't have a quarter or a half where we're slacking off.

And while most projections have Portland as a lottery entrant this season, the Blazers were 4-2 coming into Sunday's game and Randolph was riding a three-game wave in which he'd averaged 34 points and 11.7 rebounds. But the Mavericks bottled him up in the first half, when he scored just five points on 1-of-7 shooting.

Randolph finished with 20.

"One of the points of emphasis was Zach Randolph," coach Avery Johnson said. "The key was doing our best to contain him. Damp did an incredible job of trying to guard Randolph, who is one of the toughest covers in the league right now."

Earlier, Johnson didn't know how prophetic he would be. He was sitting in the visiting coach's office at the Rose Garden and analyzing the Blazers, who erased a 27-point deficit to beat New Orleans two nights earlier.

"They've had a couple of monster comebacks," Johnson said. "No lead is safe against this team because they keep their concentration throughout the game."

The Blazers went ahead, 46-44, on a 3-pointer by Martell Webster. But the Mavericks moved back ahead, 58-48, with a 14-2 push that was punctuated by Nowitzki finding Devin Harris for a backdoor layup.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
"One of the points of emphasis was Zach Randolph," coach Avery Johnson said. "The key was doing our best to contain him. Damp did an incredible job of trying to guard Randolph, who is one of the toughest covers in the league right now."
They did a GREAT job on Zach. He was doubled every time he got the ball and you could easily tell it was bothering him. He has been monster all year but thanks to damp and the game plan he had a very mediocre game.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 AM   #7
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

As always, great post ddh33!!!
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #8
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

I think that Devin has all the tools to be truly great--Avery needs to let him know that he is important to this team and let Devin Harris develop the right way.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #9
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS PLAYBOOK

Mavs find out what it takes

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Anthony Johnson poked the ball away from Portland guard Jarrett Jack, and it squirted into the backcourt, only to be controlled by Jerry Stackhouse.

Stackhouse had to dive to the court and fight off Jack before feeding Johnson for a dunk to beat the third-quarter buzzer. That kind of effort leads to winning streaks.

The Mavericks have one now after holding off the gritty Portland Trail Blazers 103-96 Sunday night before a raucous Rose Garden crowd. The win finishes a 2-1 road trip that began with an 18-point loss against the Los Angeles Clippers before a win against Phoenix.

"We just want to be able to leave it all out there," said Stackhouse, who scored 16 and added a team season-high nine assists. "You don't want to look back and we wind up losing the game by one point, and you say, 'I had the opportunity to get down for a loose ball and didn't because I felt that we could get it later in the game.'

"That's the mentality that we want to have as a group. We're getting there."

It wasn't easy against a scrappy Portland bunch off to its best start in seven years. The Blazers found themselves down double digits multiple times, only to climb back into it.

Blazers rookie LaMarcus Aldridge's layup shaved the Mavs' lead to 86-85 with 2:21 remaining. Jason Terry (24 points) answered with a 3-pointer and scored six in a 9-2 run over the next 1:14.

Still recovering from the worst start in franchise history, the Mavs (2-4) head home looking to build on a positive streak.

"It always feels good when you win," Terry said. "Now we understand we have to play our system. We've been harping on that for two years."

Comeback kids

Portland found itself in familiar territory early, falling behind 14 points at one point in the first quarter. The Mavs took a 24-13 lead into the second period.

The Blazers were 3-0 this season when trailing after the opening quarter. That includes rallying from 27 down (40-13) to beat the Hornets 92-91 Friday.

"They've had a couple monster comebacks, so they're never out of the game," Avery Johnson said. "No lead right now is safe against this team."

He was right. The Blazers cut the lead to 36-35 3 1/2 minutes before halftime.

The Mavs responded with a 6-0 run, including a 3-pointer from Greg Buckner. Portland was down only 44-41 at the break and took its first lead at 46-44 less than two minutes into the second half.

Zach attacked

The Mavs' point of emphasis coming in, according to Avery Johnson, was controlling Zach Randolph. The Blazers' explosive forward was working on three consecutive 30-point games.

He didn't get to four. Mavs center Erick Dampier got the early assignment and helped hold Portland's leading scorer in check.

Randolph didn't score in the first quarter and missed six of seven shots in the first half. He finished with 20 points, a number the Mavs could live with.

"We tried to give him different looks," said Dampier, who had eight points and eight rebounds.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
I love what Devin Harris is giving this team right now. Simply put, this team is much better when Devin Harris is on the floor and making things happen. The sad thing is that a lot of people probably don't even notice all of the little things he does to help this team. He has been playing very good defense, and I love the way he has been so willing to help his teammates. He sees the game well, is the best passer on the team, and is doing all kinds of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. I think this team is starting to figure out how much better he makes them. By the way, all of those people who act like Devin hasn't improved his shooting need to watch him at the free throw line. The improvement is obvious. 8 points, 4 assists, and 3 rebounds.
I agree completely. I still think Devin has the necessary skills to fill up a stat sheet the way Parker does, but even if he doesn't, his effect is crucial. The fact of the matter is that Devin Harris is the only penetrating guard we have on the team. And no team can be great or even very good without a guard that can get into the paint. Dribble penetration is just one of the fundamental keys to the very game of basketball. You just don't have an offense without it.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Devin's doing exactly what we need from him right now. Just play D, give us some speed on the court and make GOOD decisions. The last two games are just right...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Did not see the game, but the stats that stuck out to me:
Stack: 9 assists (what?)
Damp: 3 offensive rebounds
Harris: 31 minutes

I can't say that I've always said that if you just give him more minutes. . .
But I do think it is time for him to have that shot. I hope it continues. Not making a comparison, but in thier first few years, Jordon and Magic also were not that great of outiside shooters. Devin does have a gift to penetrate that you have to respect. If you give him space, maybe he is not the best shooter, but it improves his vision of the court. If these minutes keep up, he'll have a great year.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000

If there's one thing I'd like to see Devin pick up from Parker it's his ability go draw fouls. When TP gets in the lane he's like a heat seaking missle looking for a big to initiate contact with. Devin is on the other end of the spectrum as he goes out of his way to avoid contact
it certianly is something Devin needs to learn and quick. I think the simple act of stopping on a jump stop and giving one hard pump would get him to the line 4-6 more times a game...also, it would have every big in the league wondering if they should go up for it or stay plnated...as is...they go up every time and they are right every time.

also, (like you said) Devin's attempts to avoid contact also lead to him missing layups that should just flat out be made. He misses more layups than most....unaccaptable.

but I love seeing the kid become Avery's starting pg...because Anthany Johnson is an average back up point at best.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I agree completely. I still think Devin has the necessary skills to fill up a stat sheet the way Parker does, but even if he doesn't, his effect is crucial. The fact of the matter is that Devin Harris is the only penetrating guard we have on the team. And no team can be great or even very good without a guard that can get into the paint. Dribble penetration is just one of the fundamental keys to the very game of basketball. You just don't have an offense without it.
in the last couple games I've noticed Devin getting in the lane and instead of panic, I've seen poise...he finds the open man and good things happen. no one guard can keep Devin out of the lane...and that should be a huge asset.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote