Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pre Game Tid Bits...worth reading...

http://dallasbasketball.com/home_display.asp

You can get Mavs 111, Bulls 99 game coverage anywhere. Only here do you get extensive pregame coverage, featuring even more tids and bits from our study of the NBA's Anti-Cussing Policy:

ITEM: I'm asking DJ Mbenga about cussing. And I ask him if he swears in English or French. He is a Seinfeldian close talker, so I'm leaning way in for the answer, and he comes up with some dirty French words. He tells me about "Putain!'' (which means "F---!'') -- and he spells it for me. Then he tells me about "Merde!'' (which means "Sh--!''). But as he's cussing in assorted languages, and as I'm struggling to understand, he pauses to take my pen and my notepad. And he politely writes down the words. M-E-R-D-E.

ITEM: How did Dirk spent his free time before the game? Swinging by Lombardo's Custom Apparel in Addison, picking up five very expensive suits.

ITEM: First man on the floor was Greg Buckner, working on his shot with the help of assistant Popeye Jones. It was a warmup before the warmup before the game, and the man was working up an intense sweat.

ITEM: "It's not humanly possible to never swear,'' says Buck. "Even the most God-fearing person cusses.''

Or so you'd think. Buck, meet Del Harris, who believes the new rules "are good for the game. While you cannot take the emotional element out of the game, some restrictions are overdue. In the last few years, it's gotten out of hand, 80 percent of calls being protested, four guys jumping up off the bench to complain. It's unneccessary.''

But, I say to the Mavs' veteran assistant, a deeply religious man, "You swear, don't you?''

"Not for a good number of years, I haven't,'' Harris says, calling over to the next cubicle, occupied by assistant Joe Prunty. "Hey, Joe, have you ever heard me swear?''

"I never have,'' Prunty says.

I find this rather astounding. I push.

"Fish, I'm not saying I don't sin,'' Harris says. "But I prefer not to swear. Now, I might think of it occasionally, but it's a choice. And I choose not to say it.''

ITEM: Outside of Del Harris, which Mav cusses the least? My informal survey gives the nod to Austin Croshere. I tell Devin that I might retire that trophy and call it "The Shawn Bradley Memorial Non-Cusser,'' and he corrects me. "No, don't sell Shawn short,'' he says. The first time anyone ever sold a 7-6 guy short, by the way.

ITEM: Somebody asks DJ Mbenga when he's coming back. "A couple of days,'' he replies casually. Then he realizes there are reporters chronicling his casual answers. "Um, five days,'' he corrects, before concluding, "Um, I don't really know.''

ITEM: Mavs radio voice Chuck Cooperstein notes that the new ball quite obviously bounces off the rim with less vigor, and theorizes that that's why shooting percentages are up.

ITEM: In front of Erick Dampier's locker is a set of fancy new luggage. The bags are even personalized, each stitched with the initials "ED.'' "Very nice of somebody to do that for me,'' says Morning News beat writer Eddie Sefko.''

ITEM: Devin Harris' favorite cuss word? "F---,'' he says. "I'm not very creative in that area.''

ITEM: Say this for Laura Green's work as the "third person in the booth'' on Mavs TV telecasts: She works hard at this job. As near as I can tell, she's the only female analyst in the NBA, and she's putting in the time -- lots of interviews, film study, the whole deal -- to make it go.

ITEM: I would eventually study the first quarter of the Bulls-Mavs game from a third-row floor seat and discover that cussing is apparently out of vogue. But I was relieved to find the old-schoolers still finding a way to work a little blue. Before the game, Bulls broadcasters Bill Wennington and Tom Dore approach classy Mavs telecaster Bob Ortegel and tell him, "We have something for you.''

Ortegel is just a little bit excited as Wennington and Dore spring their third-grave-level joke on him.

They both flip him off.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

respectable stuff from Del Harris.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
ITEM: Somebody asks DJ Mbenga when he's coming back. "A couple of days,'' he replies casually. Then he realizes there are reporters chronicling his casual answers. "Um, five days,'' he corrects, before concluding, "Um, I don't really know.''
I don't know why, but that made me laugh out loud. Cute article. Thanks for posting it Sike!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ITEM: Mavs radio voice Chuck Cooperstein notes that the new ball quite obviously bounces off the rim with less vigor, and theorizes that that's why shooting percentages are up.
Inspired by Vince Carter's three against the Wizards.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
link?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27548

ha

Or you could look up Sunday's video highlights. It looked really weird.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

Cool

Quote:
Or you could look up Sunday's video highlights. It looked really weird.
yeah....how about a link to that.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
at one point last night the ball bounced weirdly off the rim. I mentioned this to my husband who just rolled his eyes at me as if to say I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. jerk.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

what a jerk

Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
yeah....how about a link to that.
http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.ph..._91_njnwas.asx
Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
thanks...that is an odd bounce...thougth I think it has more to do with the angle at which the ball hit the rim than anything else...

Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Del Harris is a class act. He just gained even more respect from me. I'm the same way, and it's hard. Good for him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 11-15-2006 at 08:24 PM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
thanks...that is an odd bounce...thougth I think it has more to do with the angle at which the ball hit the rim than anything else...
nah dude, that thing should have bounced a LOT higher and harder than it did... that's just plain weird.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

When the ball (Old or new) simultaneously hits the back base of the rim and the bottom base of the rim…that is the result…almost all momentum is killed and the ball thuds under far less speed than it came with…I’ve seen this and experienced it multiple times…

Last edited by sike; 11-15-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen this quite a couple of times this season after hardly ever seeing it last season, or previous seasons. The angle though, that's the thing sike: the difference between getting one of those bounces like you explained and getting something completely different where the ball violently ricochets from the glass is minimal. This ball has shown far more propensity to taking the bounce you described, way more so than the old leather one.