Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute
Default All Star Dunk contest

thoughts? comments?

i thought the dunk contest was rather weak this year. Dwight Howard got robbed. I thought his dunk was really creative and shouldve been given higher points. Nate Rob's second dunk in the first round was rather weak. I wanted to see what Dwight could've done.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

BOO!!! Weak, Lame, Gay.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to say it, but this year's game was reason enough to shut the thing down. Or at the least, it needs to be seriously revamped. That was absolutely pitiful.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Nothing special at all, I liked the sticker D12 dunk and a couple of Green were pretty good, but none of it was spectacular.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

There was no sign of excitement. Not even one bit. 'Cept maybe the Bavetta Barkley footrace.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i absolutely hate the affect nate robinson has on the dunk contest. his first dunk was a dunk literally ANYONE who can dunk could do while dwights was pretty darn impressive yet his got higher scores. I know the judges were great dunkers in their day but they cant judge worth a damn.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the Judges saw the sticker. The dunk didn't do much for me until I saw the sticker then I lost it. It was suggested on another board that maybe they should give the judges the benefit of instant replay and I don't think that's a bad idea. There's no way you can watch the Howard dunk again and give it less than a 10.

As for the overall quality, it wasn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. The problem is, it's all been done. In the mid 80's Nique was winning it with plain windmill dunks. Tonight Green did a windmill from about 13 feet out and nobody's impressed.

I've thought for a while that they should retire it for two or three years...let us miss it.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

First he had to catch the ball (with one hand)

Then, tag the sticker 12.6 ft (unverified) on the backboard.

And then dunk the ball.

Dwight > Nate

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

I turned the tv off after they robbed D. Howard.

"Needless to say, the major story to flow forth from tonight's festivities is Howard-gate."
--from http://www.freedarko.com today
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Nate Robinson's dunks are getting real old. Would have loved to see D12 in the finals with Gerald Green.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

dwight howard had the best dunk of the night

he got robbed big time.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

Quote:
I've thought for a while that they should retire it for two or three years...let us miss it.
I kind of liked the vote for the best in-game dunk thing.
It might be fun to do that every year for the best in-game dunks so far during the current season.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Initially I thought Dwight's dunk was overhyped but looking at the pic above that's almost unreal for anyone even if he is 6'11. They need to let James White into the dunk contest. He swears he can do a 360 from the free throw line.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Dwight Howard's dunk was frankly the most creative dunk I've ever seen. And isn't that what this contest is really about? Should've gotten at least a 47...
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Initially I thought Dwight's dunk was overhyped but looking at the pic above that's almost unreal for anyone even if he is 6'11. They need to let James White into the dunk contest. He swears he can do a 360 from the free throw line.

Holy Shat!!! effn LOL

Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #17
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Dwight Howard's dunk was frankly the most creative dunk I've ever seen. And isn't that what this contest is really about? Should've gotten at least a 47...

Doesnt seem like it anymore, does it?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

gerald green deserved to win but dwight howard was severely underrated.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

And Nate overrated.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
also dunk from the college 3
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
hes already done between the legs from the ft line, windmill from the ft line and double clutch two handed from the ft line so i wouldnt doubt that he can.

edit-he misses the between the legs one here but hes made it at other times, it has the two handed and windmill though, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Ee9LnCZ5A

Last edited by Five-ofan; 02-20-2007 at 10:19 AM.