Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs host Hawks: 47-9

The Mavs win impressively again. I don't know if it's enough for John Hollinger to take notice, but everyone else is...

The Mavs simply out-classed the young, inexperienced Hawks. Atlanta just doesn't have the talent or experience to beat the Mavs on the road with the way that Dallas is tuned in right now. The Mavs seemed to win every single quarter and the game was never in doubt.

The only bad news for the Mavs on this night was another Josh Howard ankle sprain. He hurt the same ankle that he's hurt before in the exact same way that he hurt it. The good news is that Josh did make the trip to Minnesota, and it doesn't sound like it's a horrible sprain. Before you know it, Josh is going to have those same rubber ankles that Dirk has. It still scares me to death though.

Erick Dampier was fairly productive. He had 9 points and 7 rebounds. He had a couple of blocks too. Zaza Pachulia did score quite a bit tonight, but most of it was garbage. Diop didn't have much on the stat sheet, but I thought he looked fine tonight too.

Don't look now, but Austin Croshere is helping this Maverick team now. After being out of the rotation for most of the year, Austin has taken advantage of this opportunity. I like how he's playing right now. He's doing a nice job of defending, rebounding, and even getting to the basket a little more. I'm sure the Mavs are very excited about what he's able to do for them right now, and I couldn't be happier for him.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu, welcome to the NBA. Pops got the free throw line in the blowout and looked good knocking down his two free throws, and he had a fantastic dunk in transition that showed his athleticism. Who knows if he ever develops into anything, but it's nice to take a chance on a guy who is athletic and works hard.

Dirk Nowitzki was able not exert himself too much tonight. Dirk had a monster first quarter, and he was able to pick his spots after that. 27 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Ladies and gentlemen, your MVP.

Josh Howard was very good tonight too before he sprained his ankle. After Dirk's big first quarter, Josh took over the second. At one point it felt like he scored about 12 straight Maverick points. 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals.

You've got to love what Jerry Stackhouse is giving this team! Stack is playing fantastic basketball, and I think we are seeing the basketball IQ he's always had. I know Stack is more well-known for his mistakes on the court, but I always felt like Stack's biggest problem was that he played on bad teams and got himself into some bad habits. As a Maverick this season, we are seeing a good leader, a great scorer, and a very willing passer. Add that to his competitiveness, and I can easily see why Avery loves him. Stack shot the ball extremely well on his way to 19 points, and his 9 assists kept everyone else involved.

No Buck or Devean George tonight. It didn't matter much, but it would be nice to get those guys back soon.

Devin Harris got the start tonight with the depleted lineup. Devin looked out of sorts too. He picked up a few early fouls, and he never really seemed to get into the game. He still dished out 5 assists and did a nice job of destroying any kind of defensive pressure the Hawks tried.

Jason Terry was an assassin tonight. Jet never seemed to miss. He shot 10-12 for 21 points.

So the Mavs took care of business, but they have to turn around and put their streak on the line again tomorrow night.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

It'll have a tough game at Minny. Get over it, Mavs.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:30 AM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Dirk Nowitzki was able not exert himself too much tonight. Dirk had a monster first quarter, and he was able to pick his spots after that. 27 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks.
Oh yeah, there's an underachiever for you.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Strange game for Dirk in that his jump shot was on but he couldn't finish inside and some of his misses were pretty ugly. He was definitely conscious of Josh Smith.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Howard hurt in Mavs' 12th straight win

01:11 AM CST on Tuesday, February 27, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

Josh Howard rolls with the punches as well as any NBA player. But when it comes to rolling his ankle, he draws the line.

The All-Star forward injured his right ankle for the second time in three games when he came down on the foot of Atlanta's Joe Johnson in Monday night's 110-87 blowout of the Hawks at American Airlines Center.

Last week, it was Miami's Jason Kapono who charged at Howard after a jump shot. Howard landed on Kapono's foot and wrenched the same ankle.

Monday, it was Johnson who also was running at Howard after a desperation 3-pointer in the fourth quarter. Neither of those players is known as somebody who would push the boundaries of fair play. But the Mavericks now wonder if teams aren't instructing their players to run under Howard and other Mavericks on perimeter shots.

"I just know it was a point of emphasis in the [preseason] officials' meeting and there ain't nothing happening," Howard said. "It's happened to me five times this year. And I think I'm the only guy it happens to.

"Hopefully, they'll send the tapes in and have a talk with those people, because that ain't right. I'm the only one it's been happening to and I know it's not fate. Somebody's telling somebody to do something."

Fortunately, Howard's injury does not appear serious. X-rays after the game were negative and he was able to walk with only a slight limp. He was listed as day-to-day as the Mavericks boarded their flight to Minnesota, where they play the Timberwolves tonight.

Howard missed eight games early this season when he sprained his left ankle coming down from a jump shot. Golden State's Mickael Pietrus was the guilty party.

"Hopefully, he should be OK," coach Avery Johnson said. "But we got to really, really look at that play. I'll deal with it. And they [the referees] were aware of it."

Johnson said he's detected a trend of defending Maverick shooters in this fashion. Defenders have to respect Howard's drive to the basket so much that they back off of him when he's on an isolation play.

If he pulls up for the jumper, they have no choice but to lunge toward him, often coming down in the space where he took off from for the jumper.

"If a shooter is landing in the same spot where he took off, he ought to get at least that," said Austin Croshere. "Josh gets up so high on his jumper, there's more of a chance for somebody to get under him."

Atlanta coach Mike Woodson said the idea of Joe Johnson using a dirty ploy was preposterous.

"I hope Josh isn't hurt, but that's just a basketball play," Woodson said. "We would never try to hurt anybody. In fact, we don't know how to hurt anybody right now."

That much was evident in the game, which the Mavericks took control of in the second quarter. They were never threatened after halftime as Dirk Nowitzki (27 points), Jason Terry (21) and Howard (20) led an efficient offense. Jerry Stackhouse had 19 points off the bench and Croshere was effective, too, as the Mavericks rolled to their 12th straight win.

The win came in spite of being shorthanded as Greg Buckner, already suffering from a broken nose, sat out after bruising his left knee against Denver on Saturday. With Devean George already out with a right knee injury, the Mavericks had to scramble in the backcourt. Buckner's status for tonight's visit to Minnesota will not be known until game time. Both Buckner and Howard made the trip.

And while the winning streaks keep getting more impressive – this is their third of 12 or longer this season and their 20th in a row at home – Avery Johnson was concentrating on other things.

"I'd like to have double [digit] winning streaks starting April 20," he said.

That would be at the start of the playoffs.

In the meantime, he'd settle for the league keeping a closer watch on defenders who crowd his shooters.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Ex-Mav Johnson has mixed feelings

Johnson excited about challenge in Atlanta, but misses Dallas

12:45 AM CST on Tuesday, February 27, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

The playing time in Atlanta is nice. Anthony Johnson got more of it in one game than he had in a month with the Mavericks.

But he wants to set the record straight. He misses Dallas, even if he wasn't in the playing rotation when he was here.

"It came out of nowhere," Johnson said of the trade last week that sent him to the Atlanta Hawks, who visited Monday night.

"I didn't ask for a trade. I just wanted to win a championship. If that meant me sitting down, so be it. I loved the city and the team and the guys. In no way was I trying to leave that. It was a big surprise, because now they only have two point guards."

The Mavericks sent Johnson to the Hawks just before the trade deadline and got a second-round pick in return, along with saving salary-cap space.

For Johnson, not getting a chance to win a title is the disappointing part.

"My minutes hadn't been what I'd like, but I was supporting the guys and trying to be a good teammate and part of a good organization," he said. "Not having an opportunity to win a championship is a little upsetting, but I welcome the challenge of helping Atlanta get where they're trying to go.

"And since Atlanta's home, I feel very comfortable."

Johnson has lived in Atlanta for the last nine years and he and his wife were married there over All-Star weekend.

"He came in and asked if he was going to be able to play," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "I told him to be careful what you wish for. He's been a great pickup for us because we've been so banged up at point guard."

Reggie on the radar? No way of knowing how serious it is yet, but Reggie Miller could be a candidate for the Mavericks' vacant roster spot.

Owner Mark Cuban brought up Miller's name before Monday's game against the Hawks. The former Indiana Pacers star is the No. 1 3-point shooter in NBA history. He retired after the 2004-05 season, but remains in excellent physical shape.

And joining the Mavericks would give him the chance to do about the only thing he never did in his illustrious career – win a championship.

Avery Johnson said he and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson have been discussing options for the open spot, but are not close to any decisions.

Miller currently is a member of TNT's broadcast team.

Briefly: Actor/comedian Dan Aykroyd was on hand Monday night in advance of today's hard-hat press tour of the House of Blues construction site near AAC. The club, part of Aykroyd's House of Blues empire, is scheduled to open May 8. Between the first and second quarters, owner Mark Cuban presented Aykroyd with his own Mavs' jersey, No. 1.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
kriD
Platinum Member

MAVERICKS PLAYBOOK

Ex-Mav caught by surprise

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Anthony Johnson woke up Thursday a member of the Mavericks and with an excellent chance at winning an NBA championship.

But a few hours later, he was a member of the Atlanta Hawks, a team that is possibly headed to the NBA lottery.

Johnson said he was shocked when the Mavs traded him to the Hawks for a second-round draft pick. He said he wasn't disenchanted with his role as the third point guard behind Jason Terry and Devin Harris. "I didn't ask for a trade," Johnson said. "I just wanted to win a championship.

"If that meant me sitting down, then so be it."

In 40 games this season, Johnson averaged 3.8 points and 2.0 assists in 14.1 minutes.

"Being here in Dallas, I love the city, I love the team, I love the guys on the team, I love the coaching staff, the organization," Johnson said. "Everything was great.

"In no way was I trying to leave that, because like I said, I wanted to win a championship. Not having an opportunity to win a championship, so to speak, is a little upsetting, but at the same time I welcome the challenge of helping Atlanta get to where they're trying to go."

Mavs coach Avery Johnson said it was a difficult decision.

"But I think it worked well for both sides," Avery Johnson said. "We got a high draft pick in the second round, and he has a chance to go and play."

"We have a lot of guys now that handle the ball for us ... we just didn't have any minutes there."

Hawks coach Mike Woodson knows he's received a valuable player in Johnson, who had 17 points and five assists in 34 minutes in his Hawks debut Sunday against Phoenix.

"Getting Anthony Johnson is huge," Woodson said. "He's a veteran guy who has played in a few systems where he's had an opportunity to run a team and come off the bench."

Buckner sidelined

Guard Greg Buckner missed Monday's game with a mild contusion of his left knee.

Buckner injured the knee Saturday against Denver. An MRI exam Monday was negative, and coach Avery Johnson said Buckner might play in tonight's game at Minnesota.

"If Buckner can't go, yeah, he's really, really hurting," Johnson said. "We'll re-evaluate him [today] and see where he is for [tonight's] game."

Along with Buckner, swingman Devean George sat out his fourth consecutive game with a sprained right knee. That put a strain on the Mavs' depth, but Johnson pointed out that the show must go on.

Johnson wants playoff streak

When the Chicago Bulls broke loose for an NBA-record 72-10 worksheet during the 1995-96 season, they never put together three winning streaks of 10 or more games.

The Mavs have already accomplished that feat this season. But they haven't strung together the winning streaks coach Avery Johnson covets the most.

"I'd like to have double-digit winning streaks starting April 20," Johnson said, referring to the playoffs. "A double-digit winning streak from April 20-May 20, and then have another one."

SPOTLIGHT Josh Howard

Josh Howard turned an ankle coming down on an opponent's foot after shooting a jumper for the third time. He doubts it's a coincidence.

"That ain't right," he said. "I'm the only one that it's happened to. I know it ain't fate. Somebody is telling somebody to do something."

Hawks guard Joe Johnson was the culprit this time, as Howard injured his right ankle with 6:11 left in the fourth quarter and didn't return. Wearing a brace after the game (X-rays were negative), he traveled with the team to Minnesota and could play tonight.

Howard injured the same ankle Thursday coming down on Miami forward Jason Kapono, but didn't miss any time. Howard was out eight games earlier this season after landing on Golden State forward Mickael Pietrus.

Whether it's a conspiracy or not, the Mavs have asked the league office to look into it. The officials were made aware of the situation before the game, according to Howard and coach Avery Johnson.

"We really need to look at that play," Avery Johnson said. "I'll deal with it in my own way."
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Postgame Quotes Feb 26, 2007 vs. Atl

Avery Johnson Avery Johnson
Dallas Mavericks Head Coach Avery Johnson

“Tonight I thought we had a pretty good flow throughout the whole game. I’ve been making a big point of emphasis on trying to get off to a good start, especially defensively, in the first quarter compared to the last game. We had a nice finish. We didn’t start the 4th quarter that well, but we got it back together. Our bench was big for us, no matter what the numbers are. I thought Stackhouse and Croshere and Barrera played really well for us off the bench. Obviously our big guns of Howard, Dirk and JET did what they were supposed to do. Dampier did some good stuff for us during different spurts of the game. So, we are glad to get this game behind us because this team has played well here recently. This game we had to have a win.”

On Josh Howard’s status:
“Hopefully he should be okay. The X-rays were negative and we’ll check him out tomorrow night. We need to really look at that play. I’ll deal with it tomorrow in my own way. They were aware of it – so I’ll deal with it in my own way tomorrow.”

On putting Juan Jose Barrera in early in the game:
“It wasn’t a big stat line, but he controlled the team. He had a presence out there. We needed to buy a few minutes because we were fighting foul trouble and he gave us a few minutes early in the first quarter. I wanted to see how he played with some of our starters out there. It wasn’t anything to write home about, but he didn’t hurt us when he was out there – he actually mad a nice pass there at the end. We may need to get a few minutes from in during the stretch since we have Buckner and George out-that leaves a big hole.”

On defending Joe Johnson:
“I thought we did a good job on him and mainly I thought we attacked him because he is a terrific shot blocker. I think one game I was here when I played – he maybe had about 10 blocks one day or sometime here recently. He is a guy, we know Joe Johnson – he’s been having an outstanding season. He’s an All-Star, he’s playing really well. It’s a matter of trying to stop the other guys.”

Mavericks Guard Devin Harris
You guys have had some slow starts of late, but it was the way you guys finished in this one that matters.) – “We haven’t started games off impressively the past couple weeks but we definitely find our grove and find our niche. We’d like to start a little bit faster but we’ll continue to get better. It was a tough-minded win tonight.”

Usually when you guys get on that roll to push you over the top it ends up coming down to ball movement.) – “It does. When we really swing the ball and really get to push it in transition that’s when we’re at our best. It takes it a little while to get to that point with guys getting loose but once we get to that point we’re usually pretty good from then on.”

Talk about a guy like Stackhouse – he’s hit 17 out of his last 30 three pointers.
“He’s shooting the ball extremely well right now. He’s not feeling his best right now but he’s giving us all he’s got and that’s why he’s one of our team leaders. Hopefully he can continue to keep it going.”

Mavericks Forward Jerry Stackhouse
Talk about the 9 assists that you had tonight.
“We’re just moving the ball and it just so happens that I was in the last leg of the rotation. We’re moving the ball. We had a good run there with Dirk [Nowitzki] on the post getting double teamed and he was passing it out and we were just making plays from that. We’ve got guys finishing and going hard to finish and knocking down shots right now so hopefully we can continue to play that way because everybody is playing witha lot of confidence.”

What about your three point shooting as of late?
“I’m on fire. Technically you shoot so many shots over the course of your career and you make shots but sometimes it becomes a technical thing. I was watching Holger [Geschwinder] working with Dirk a little bit and I stole a couple pointers and started working with it a little bit on my own. Next thing I know it’s clicking for me, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be paying attention in class a little more often. But it’s definitely a good rhythm right now and hopefully I can just keep that confidence cause that’s what it’s all about and hopefully just have guys feed off of it, especially the second unit.”

Atlanta Coach Mike Woodson
"I think Dallas, man they're good. Because they really try and do it the right way. They defend and rebound the ball. They've got so many offensive weapons that it's like pick your poison. You try and double and switch and they've gotten so good now, I think, when teams switch on them they really know how to play off ofeach other and make plays for one another. They're a tough match up, especially for our young team." "Offensively we were okay. I thought fast break wise we got the ball out. I think we had 25 points in the open court, but this game is won on the defensive end. We've got to defend and rebound the ball and we just couldn't stop them tonight. We'll see them again and hopefully we'll be better before they come back to our place."

Atlanta Guard Anthony Johnson
On coming back to Dallas…
"I didn't really get a chance to say bye to most of the guys so it was good to see the guys, but at the same time the result wasn't what I hoped for. My play wasn't very good tonight. So as a team, coming off a back-to-back playing against Phoenix and having a tough loss and coming in tonight Dallas handed our butts to us, and you've got to give them credit. That's why they are the top team in the league."

"In the first quarter we did a good job staying bodies on bodies, and playing tough man to man D. then as the game wore on in the second quarter we found ourselves in rotations and with that team, that's what they want. They've got sharpshooters all over the court. They have Dirk, Stackhouse, JT, Josh Howard. You know, they've got guys that can make shots and we were getting caught in rotations and they were just knocking down their jumpers. That team, once they get out to a 10 or 15 point lead, they get comfortable and they game becomes more easy to them. They did a good job of taking advantage of what we gave them defensively and that's why they are the top team in the NBA."

Atlanta Guard Joe Johnson

"I think fatigue set in and our attention span kind of went down off a back-to-back. They were making shots and we never got past it. We never could get stops to get ourselves back in the game."

"Defensively we just didn't have it tonight. Those guys were making shots from the start. They got off to a great start and we tried to focus in on Dirk, and Jason Terry wanted to make a shot, Josh Howard wanted to make a shot. It was kind of like a trend and they started the momentum, and they had it throughout the whole game."
E-mail this story
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Mavericks Forward Jerry Stackhouse
... Technically you shoot so many shots over the course of your career and you make shots but sometimes it becomes a technical thing. I was watching Holger [Geschwinder] working with Dirk a little bit and I stole a couple pointers and started working with it a little bit on my own. Next thing I know it’s clicking for me, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be paying attention in class a little more often.
If a veteran like Stack can benefit from Holger's shooting tips, why not a youngun like Devin? He'd be unstoppable if he could just add that jumper to his already impressive arsenal!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
If a veteran like Stack can benefit from Holger's shooting tips, why not a youngun like Devin? He'd be unstoppable if he could just add that jumper to his already impressive arsenal!
What a great idea, someone should mail this to cubes to get holger to do a review of all of the shooters. Just imagine, 10 dirks!!

Be still my beating heart. And jerry has been really sound lately, maybe croshere should be next..but his shot has looked better as well.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Don't look now, but Austin Croshere is helping this Maverick team now. After being out of the rotation for most of the year, Austin has taken advantage of this opportunity. I like how he's playing right now. He's doing a nice job of defending, rebounding, and even getting to the basket a little more. I'm sure the Mavs are very excited about what he's able to do for them right now, and I couldn't be happier for him.
if Croshere turns out to be the exact opposite of KVH, and only produces good things when the chips are down, then it will be a very good thing for the Mavs and their fans.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote