Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #41
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Both Kenny and Barkley on the TNT crew went with Dirk for MVP. Reggie picked Nash but said Dirk was also deserving.

Last edited by MFFL; 04-13-2007 at 04:48 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #42
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

So assuming Kenny and Charles pick Nash 2nd.. it's all tied up.

3 for Dirk first, 3 for Dirk second
3 for Nash first, 3 for Nash second

I think Dirk will win though
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #43
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
So assuming Kenny and Charles pick Nash 2nd.. it's all tied up.

3 for Dirk first, 3 for Dirk second
3 for Nash first, 3 for Nash second

I think Dirk will win though
I don't think the TNT crew has an official vote though.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #44
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Both Kenny and Barkley on the TNT crew went with Dirk for MVP. Reggie picked Nash but said Dirk was also deserving.

Reggie's just pissed that Willis made the squad & he didn't!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #45
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

SPECIAL WEEKEND EDITION And the award goes to ...
Stein
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

What do you get when the final Friday of the regular season falls on Friday the 13th?

You get the award ballots I'll be turning into the league office, all the way down the left side of this page.

Lucky you.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER

Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki
Maybe it's because we're asked in one forum or another (chats, radio and TV spots, etc.) to update our MVP views just about every week. Maybe it's because a whole conference has no one challenging for anything higher than No. 5 on a five-man ballot. Or maybe it's because this has clearly been a two-man race for months, as opposed to so many of these categories.

Whatever the reason, I found it strangely simple to reach a verdict here. For once.

Nowitzki simply has to be the MVP, as brilliant as Steve Nash has been in his bid to join Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird as the only three-in-a-row MVPs in league history. It has nothing to do with the ridiculous argument that Nash hasn't won a championship yet, since he has yet to go to the playoffs with his Suns at full strength. It has everything to do with the fact that this regular-season award is annually bestowed on the player who has the best all-encompassing season ... the most impressive combination of individual and team success.

Side by side, as usual, it's a serious strain to make a statistical call between them. The two-time reigning MVP has somehow managed to elevate his game to a higher-than-ever level of efficiency, but so has Nowitzki. The difference is where Dirk's production and leadership have taken his team, with Dallas wrapping up one of the most extraordinary regular seasons ever seen.

There's a reason that voters, since 1979, have picked only one MVP from a team that failed to win 50 games (Moses Malone from the 46-36 Rockets in 1983) and only two others from teams with less than 55 wins (Michael Jordan from the 50-32 Bulls in 1988 and Nash last season from the 54-28 Suns). It's because voters recognize that nothing is more valuable in team sports than winning.

Nash has generated more in-season support for another MVP triumph than he did in either of the previous two seasons, posting career highs in scoring (18.8 ppg), shooting (53.3 percent from the field and 46.4 percent from 3-point range) and assists (11.5 apg) and winning the last head-to-head showdowns with Dirk.

But Nowitzki is right there numbers-wise -- shooting 49.9 percent from the floor, 41.2 percent from long distance, 90.2 percent from the line and delivering a slew of decisive fourth quarters in averaging 24.7 points and 9.1 boards -- as the player who a) causes more matchup problems for opposing defenses than anyone else and b) ranks as the driving force for the team of the season.

Which makes him my player of the season.

Stein's ballot:

1. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
2. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns
3. Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
5. Chris Bosh, Toronto Raptors

October prediction: LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Norm just said on the air, that he would vote for Nash
Old 04-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #47
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Norm can suck it.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #48
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Norm just said on the air, that he would vote for Nash
would it be so hard for the local guys to be just a little homerish? or at the very least not so damn antihomer.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #49
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Now he's telling us that we don't have any idea what Steve Nash does for the Suns.

Quote:
would it be so hard for the local guys to be just a little homerish? or at the very least not so damn antihomer.
My take...very few of the local guys follow the game as closely as we do. So if they endorse Dirk they risk looking like homers. Not because Dirk isn't the best candidate, but they don't have the data to defend the pick. How many local writers or talk show hosts know what PER is or what a win share is? How many of them realize the Shawn Marion was an all-star without Steven Nash. How many realize that Amare would excel in any system you put him in?

Honestly, they just don't know any better so they repeat what they hear in the nation media to sound smart.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Now he's telling us that we don't have any idea what Steve Nash does for the Suns.

My take...very few of the local guys follow the game as closely as we do. So if they endorse Dirk they risk looking like homers. Not because Dirk isn't the best candidate, but they don't have the data to defend the pick. How many local writers or talk show hosts know what PER is or what a win share is? How many of them realize the Shawn Marion was an all-star without Steven Nash. How many realize that Amare would excel in any system you put him in?

Honestly, they just don't know any better so they repeat what they hear in the nation media to sound smart.
is there a way to listen to him on the internet? i always get annoyed when sports talk guys act like they know SOOOO much more about sports than anyone else.(in reference to the we dont know what nash does for the suns comment) Honestly i would take over half the posters on this board for sports knowledge over any talk show host.

as to the second part i agree, the question i have is whats so wrong about sounding like a homer????
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #51
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
is there a way to listen to him on the internet? i always get annoyed when sports talk guys act like they know SOOOO much more about sports than anyone else.(in reference to the we dont know what nash does for the suns comment) Honestly i would take over half the posters on this board for sports knowledge over any talk show host.

as to the second part i agree, the question i have is whats so wrong about sounding like a homer????
www.theticket.com/listen.htm

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #52
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Seems like Dirk will get the vote from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2841533

Tally: Dirk Nowitzki (10 votes), Steve Nash (4), Kobe Bryant (1), Tim Duncan (1)

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #53
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
Seems like Dirk will get the vote from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2841533

Tally: Dirk Nowitzki (10 votes), Steve Nash (4), Kobe Bryant (1), Tim Duncan (1)
Any idea if any or all get a real vote? I'm pretty sure Stein/Hollinger and Walton(says) he does. Hard to believe they let Ric Bucher next to a keyboard.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-18-2007 at 03:49 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #54
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The four Nash voters just so happen to be the four biggest idiots on that list. And that's according to my opinion of them last year.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #55
MFFL
Guru

Week 24: And the MVP Is ...
By Maurice Brooks
Posted Apr 17 2007 7:03PM

SECAUCUS, N.J., April 17, 2007 -- I walked into my editor’s office the other day (actually, he has a cube) and tried to explain how traffic numbers would decrease without Race to the MVP on the site, like when we took down the NBA.com Dance Team Bracket.

I told him that I still had columns I wanted to write about players like the Warriors’ Baron Davis and the Bobcats’ Gerald Wallace and how I needed another week or two in order to bump Chris Bosh up to the No. 5 spot.

I begged for the chance to write a few more articles so that I could break down how Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan never won three straight MVPs or how come Kobe Bryant, the best player in the game today, still hasn’t won one.

I pleaded my case to be allowed to wax poetic about how this could be the closest MVP vote ever and how after 24 weeks of using my secret scientific formula (it involves player’s names and a dart board), I’m not 100 percent sure of who the choice should be.

And my editor's response?

“Your last Race to the MVP column will come out Tuesday and if you want, you can write a mailbag on Friday.”

Disappointed, I walked away mumbling how I need more time.

I tried people, really I did. Unfortunately the most valuable player is a regular season award. The league starts playing for keeps on Saturday.

So, the winner of the 2006-07 MVP Award is … Tim Duncan.

Line of the Week
Kobe Bryant, Lakers
vs. Sonics, April 15
50 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
18-for-25 FG, 11-for-13 FT

Just kidding. Although it did cross my mind for a second. After all, Timmy basically does everything on the court perfectly.

From running the pick-and-roll to always being in the correct position on both ends of the floor, there aren't many things he can't do. He is the unquestioned leader of a Spurs team that will finish with the third-best record in the league.

Although his numbers aren't through the roof, they are definitely good enough to be in the MVP conversation. Still, the Spurs seem to win games when he puts up average stats like 12 points and 10 rebounds. And this year, more than any year in the past, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili took on a bigger role for San Antonio.

Every season a case can be made for Duncan to be the winner. This season is the exception.

So that means Kobe Bryant is taking home the trophy, right?

Wrong.

No, Kobe Bean Bryant won’t be named MVP this season. Heck, Bryant, arguably the best basketball player in the world, probably won’t even finish second or third when the results are officially announced in a few weeks.

For all of the gifts he displays on the court, Bryant fell short in a key category needed to claim the league's most prestigious award - winning. With one game left in the season, the Lakers are only 41-40.

Phil Jackson set the team up for Kobe to take all of the shots, to have the ball in the key possessions and to get all of the credit for their success. With that being said, KB24 has to get the blame when they come up short.

So despite his 10 50-point games, Kobe is not the guy.

That opens the door for Tracy McGrady.

Stop laughing. I'm being serious. Who in the league is playing better than T-Mac right now? When Yao was sidelined with the leg injury it was McGrady that held the Rockets down. Now that Yao is back, McGrady is playing better than ever. When healthy, he meant as much to his team as any player in the league.

The main reason he won't win the award is because he didn't become a serious contender until right before the All-Star break and because Yao may steal a vote or two away from him.

So that means the more things change, the more they stay the same. Steve Nash does it again.

Nash, has taken home the trophy at the conclusion of the past two seasons. He is the heart and soul of a truly special team and is trying to join immortals Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird as the only players to ever be named MVP three times in a row.

As great as he has been in this, his career season, it is hard to imagine Nash accomplishing something that legendary players such as Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson couldn’t accomplish. Watch a Suns game and it is almost impossible not to fall in love with what he does on the court. His game is beautiful.

Obviously he makes everyone around him better. He almost always makes the right decision with the ball and is just as good at scoring as he is at passing. Phoenix is 2-4 when Nash, who this season has career highs in field-goal percentage (53.4), three-point percentage (46.0), scoring (18.8) and assists (11.6), is out of the lineup.

After saying all of that, how can he not be the winner?

There won't be a three-peat this season because the winner of the Haier Race to the MVP is Dirk Nowitzki.

If you have been following the R2MVP, and I know you have been, you know by now that Nowitzki has been the man to beat for weeks. As soon as the Mavericks won their 60th game and had their sights set on 70, the award became his to win or lose and he has definitely done nothing to lose it.

He has become one of the most versatile players in the game. His limitless range on his jumper always has to be on a defense's mind, while he can also kill teams from the free-throw line, high post, mid post and low post.

Also, he is an above-average rebounder and his defense has improved.

The Mavericks, who started 0-4 and have gone 66-10 since, are having one of the best NBA seasons ever. Nowitzki is the biggest reason for their success. A year after they fell just short of winning the NBA title, he has made sure they haven't let down.

He is the team leader, both on and off the court, and the most deserving recipient of the 2006-07 MVP award.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #56
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

An MVP vote for Dirk Nowitzki
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
April 18, 2007

WOJNAROWSKI'S ALL-NBA TEAMS
First team
F: Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks
F: LeBron James, Cavaliers
C: Tim Duncan, Spurs
G: Kobe Bryant, Lakers
G: Steve Nash, Suns

Second team
F: Chris Bosh, Raptors
F: Kevin Garnett, Wolves
C: Yao Ming, Rockets
G: Tracy McGrady, Rockets
G: Dwyane Wade, Heat

Third team
F: Amare Stoudemire, Suns
F: Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets
C: Shaquille O'Neal, Heat
G: Gilbert Arenas, Wizards
G: Jason Kidd, Nets

After careful consideration, including informal consultation with several league executives, coaches and scouts, here is the awards ballot that I returned to the league office.

Most Valuable Player: Dirk Nowitzki. He has been the dominant player on the dominant team in the league. In every way, Nowitzki has been the force of nature elevating the Dallas Mavericks to one of the extraordinary regular seasons in NBA history.

If you want to take Dirk and Steve Nash side by side, the two-time defending MVP makes a compelling case that this was his best season ever – career highs in shooting percentage from the field (53.2) and three-point line (45.5) and assists (11.6). Still, Nash had Amare Stoudemire back with him this season and that went a long way to improving his production. Nash did nothing to lose out on that third straight MVP, as much as Nowitzki did everything to take it for himself.

Nowitzki was brilliant across the board – 24.6 points, 50 percent from the floor, and 41.9 percent on three-pointers. He shot 90 percent from the line, too. Night after night, Dirk found ways to deliver games late for the Mavericks. He is still the most impossible matchup in the league, a 7-footer who revolutionized the power forward position, and he has cleared a path for a generation of European big men to be utilized as true inside-outside threats in the NBA.

Most Valuable Player ballot: 1. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks), 2. Steve Nash (Suns), 3. Kobe Bryant (Lakers), 4. Chris Bosh (Raptors), 5. Tim Duncan (Spurs)

Rookie of the Year: Brandon Roy. This promises to be one of the most lopsided races in league history, with Roy holding a solid chance of winning the award without a dissenting vote. In a year of wildly up and down rookies, Roy (16.8 points, 45.6-percent shooting) was a relentlessly consistent performer for the Portland Trail Blazers, filling up the box score every game. Out of the entire 2006 draft, he was the only rookie to truly develop into the go-to player for his team.

Minnesota's Craig Smith is perhaps a surprise choice for third, but an undersized second-round pick who cracked the rotation at power forward and played as hard and tough as he did deserves a nod.

Rookie of the Year ballot: 1. Brandon Roy (Trail Blazers), 2. Andrea Bargnani (Raptors), 3. Craig Smith (Timberwolves).

Defensive Player of the Year: Tim Duncan. After struggling for most of the first half of the season with stops, the San Antonio Spurs recaptured their standing as one of the elite defensive teams in the league after the All-Star break. And that's the reason they were the NBA's best team the past few months. All along, though, Duncan had been his old, dominant self on the defensive end. His foot was healthy this season, and it showed in the way he dominated on the boards, blocked shots and played his usual brilliant defense in the post.

Shane Battier played every possession of every game, Jeff Van Gundy said, unlike any player he had ever coached. After learning his defense under one of the masters, Hubie Brown, Battier was the perfect addition in Houston for Van Gundy, one of the game's great contemporary defensive coaches. Even when Yao Ming sat out 33 games, Battier helped to keep the Rockets among the league leaders in the important defensive categories.

Defensive Player of the Year ballot: 1. Tim Duncan (Spurs), 2. Shane Battier (Rockets), 3. Marcus Camby (Nuggets).

Sixth Man Award: Leandro Barbosa. It wasn't until nearly three months into the season that the Spurs started bringing Manu Ginobili off the bench, but Barbosa – who did start 18 games himself – has been a staggering presence for the Phoenix Suns. Somehow, he seems to come into the game and do what seems like the impossible for these go-go Suns: Make them faster. At 43 percent, few players shoot the three in transition better than the 24-year-old Brazilian.

Sixth Man Award ballot: 1. Leandro Barbosa (Suns), 2. Manu Ginobili (Spurs), 3. Jerry Stackhouse (Mavericks).

Most Improved Player: Kevin Martin. Out of a small school with a strange hitch in his jump shot, no one was ever sure what to make of the Sacramento Kings drafting Kevin Martin at the end of the first round in 2004. And now, in his third season, Martin had elevated his rookie scoring average from 2.9 points a game, to 10.8 in 2005-2006, to 20.3 this season. Make no mistake, Martin willed his way into a front-line NBA player.

Most Improved Player ballot: 1. Kevin Martin (Kings), 2. Tyson Chandler (Hornets), 3. Andris Biedrins (Warriors).

Adrian Wojnarowski is the national NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Wednesday, Apr 18, 2007 5:48 pm EDT
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #57
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

http://www.nysun.com/article/52801

MVP Case for Nowitzki Is Open and Shut
Basketball

By MARTIN JOHNSON
April 19, 2007

Dirk Nowitzki's numbers have been better in the past, but Avery Johnson's Mavericks get fewer possessions a game.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

In my travels through the sports pages across this great nation of ours, I've noticed a surprising amount of hand wringing over the upcoming selection of the NBA Most Valuable Player award. It seems like everyone has an opinion on why it shouldn't go to Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki. The complaints range from the fact that giving the award to Dirk isn't controversial to that it isn't highlight-clip friendly to it not being a sexy pick.

This is all true, but the award is for the most valuable player, and Nowitzki has been the leading player on the best team and of the players who haven't missed substantial time with injuries he's accomplished the most.

Nowitzki's Mavericks had won 66 games going into last night's action. Although he's the best player on that team, the arguments go deeper. He's scoring 24.6 points a game on a team that averages 99.9. Or put another way, he scores 24.5% of his team's points in 15.1% of his team's minutes — a pretty nice return on their investment. Then consider the rest of his résumé: 8.9 rebounds a game, 50.1% shooting percentage, 41.9% from behind the arc (an asset that discombobulates most opposing defenses by forcing their one of their best interior defenders away from the paint), and 3.4 assists. Nowtizki's accomplishments are as well rounded and efficient as any player in the league not named Dwyane Wade, and Dirk didn't miss a third of the season with a shoulder injury.

Some critics have noted that Nowtizki's points per game average is low for an MVP candidate, but it isn't. Kevin Garnett, another player with a well-rounded skill set, averaged 24.2 points a game in his MVP season. Tim Duncan averaged 23.3 in the most recent of his two MVP campaigns. Even as prolific a scorer as Karl Malone averaged only 23.8 points per game during his last MVP season.

Nowtizki's point total may seem down compared with his tallies earlier in his career, but that's where pace and minutes per contest need to be factored in. The Avery Johnson-coached Mavericks teams are typically near the bottom of the league in possessions per game; this year's team ranks 28th in Pace Factor, which measures possessions per game. The Don Nelson teams that Nowitzki starred on a few years ago were typically in the top five in that category. Also, Dirk is playing fewer minutes now than he did earlier in his career, which also distorts the comparisons of his points per game average.

The most frequently repeated barb tossed at Nowitzki's candidacy is that he's not clutch. I wonder if the people who claim this saw last season's San Antonio- Dallas playoff series, particularly Game 7 when Nowitzki's drive to the hoop and foul tied the game with seconds to go. This season, Nowitzki missed a potential game-tying shot in the second overtime against Phoenix on March 14, but he also made a gamewinner on December 28 against the Suns. Dirk started out poorly in last-shot situations, but he has nailed four of his last five game-winning/game-tying attempts.

Nowitzki should be given credit for the fact that those situations don't arise often. Dallas is pummeling opponents by almost seven points per game. Some players often have to take big shots because their team is frequently involved in close games, but Nowitzki's Mavericks usually have closed out their opponents by late in the fourth quarter. This sort of highlight reel analysis is the parallel to voting a gold glove for a baseball player who makes diving stops all the time rather than the player who makes plays on comparably hit balls without leaving his feet.

What about the other candidates? Although Kobe Bryant's leagueleading 31.6 points per game is impressive as is his run of 50-point games, he's maintained this level for less than half the season and has failed to rescue his team from a tailspin that took the Lakers from middle of the pack to just barely qualifying for the playoffs. Were it not for his shoulder injury and his teammates, I might be arguing for Dwayne Wade in this piece. His per game averages are superb, but it's hard to support someone's whose best team accomplishment is keeping the defending champions out of the lottery. Although referee Joey Crawford obviously doesn't think so, Tim Duncan has a nice case for MVP, but his key metrics don't measure up to Nowitzki's. Last, Steve Nash, the winner of the last two MVP's, has improved his numbers across the board, but I didn't support either of his previous awards (my choices were Amare Stoudemire two seasons ago and LeBron James last year), but I actually like his case this season. But again Nash's overall statistical portfolio isn't as strong as Nowitzki's, particularly when you consider that Nash plays on a team with nearly eight more possessions per game.

I agree with the critics that Dirk isn't an especially iconic figure in the way that the other MVP candidates are, but that isn't a qualification for the award. It should go to the best player in the league. This season, it should be readily apparent that Nowitzki has had the best year of any NBA player.

mjohnson@nysun.com
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #58
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Man, who is this Martin Johnson guy? That was about as good of an MVP piece you could have asked for. He is one of the few writers that seems to realize that Dirk HAS hit a few clutch shots this year, and that he DOES have a well-rounded game. I like this guy.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #59
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Gilert Arenas is obviously MVP, his team has gone 2-7 since he went down. Right?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #60
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh euro barge
He's scoring 24.6 points a game on a team that averages 99.9. Or put another way, he scores 24.5% of his team's points in 15.1% of his team's minutes — a pretty nice return on their investment.
That's an awesome statistic.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk's points per game are down largely because his need to score is down... and because the season has pretty much been wrapped up for a few weeks for the Mavs.. His rebounding and scoring averages have dipped over the past 2-3 weeks mostly because there has been nothing to play for and Dirk was obviously not exerting himself... was simply trying to stay fresh for the playoffs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #62
GermanFan

GermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to all

When will they announce the Player/Coach Awards for the regular season?
GermanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #63
GermanFan

GermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to allGermanFan is a name known to all

Well for the GM it isnt even that close

http://www.nba.com/awards2007/gmsurvey_mvp.html

DIRK NOWITZKI, Dallas
Voting:

1st 17
2nd 8
3rd 0
PtsReceived: 109

STEVE NASH, Phoenix
1st 7
2nd 15
3rd 2
Pts Received: 82
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #64
Mavfreak

Mavfreak will become famous soon enoughMavfreak will become famous soon enough

Dirk needs to get cracking and prove his merit. He has a legitimate claim to the MVP status, but the league won't hand it to him unless he starts producing wins. Nash is playing great right now and everybody knows it. It would not be a surprise for the Canadian to win three. I'm hoping Dirk earns the honors, of course, by demonstrating his skill when it really counts. Like right now! Cheers
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #65
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
Dirk needs to get cracking and prove his merit. He has a legitimate claim to the MVP status, but the league won't hand it to him unless he starts producing wins. Nash is playing great right now and everybody knows it. It would not be a surprise for the Canadian to win three. I'm hoping Dirk earns the honors, of course, by demonstrating his skill when it really counts. Like right now! Cheers
Votes were turned in last week.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #66
GermanFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Votes were turned in last week.
and that is a good thing *G
Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #67
Mavfreak

Mavfreak will become famous soon enoughMavfreak will become famous soon enough

I hope so. The voting is one stage, counting them is another.
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #68
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What?
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #69
GermanFan

Quote:
They are not counting in Florida -- right??
Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #70
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanFan
They are not counting in Florida -- right??
LOL
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote