Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough
Default NBA Says Don Nelson Can't Take Beer Into Interviews

This sucks. One of the things I always like Nellie for...

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=66687

By Scott Soshnick

May 7 (Bloomberg) -- The National Basketball Association told Golden State Warriors coach Don Nelson that he can't bring beer into the postgame interview room.

``We talked to the team,'' NBA spokesman Tim Frank said in an e-mail. ``It won't happen anymore.''

Nelson, 66, brought a can of Bud Light into the interview room on more than one occasion during his team's opening-round upset of the top-seeded Dallas Mavericks.

After the series-clinching win on May 3, Nelson was watching the Turner Network Television broadcast while waiting to begin his press conference. Charles Barkley, a Turner analyst who had picked the Mavericks, was wearing a ``We Believe'' T- shirt worn by fans of the Warriors.

According to a Sports Illustrated account, Nelson raised his beer and called out, ``The Chuckster,'' referring to Barkley.

Warriors spokesman Raymond Ridder said the team received the league's directive.

``The message did come down,'' he said in a telephone interview from Utah, where the Warriors face the Jazz tonight in Game 1 of their best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal.

Nelson is the second-winningest coach in NBA history, with a 1,232-920 regular-season record. Lenny Wilkens holds the record with 1,332 victories.

Ridder said he took the beer can from Nelson before the coach reached the interview podium.

The NBA's directive comes about a week after St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was killed in a car accident. St. Louis police said the 29-year-old Hancock was drunk at the time of the crash.

In the wake of Hancock's death, some Major League Baseball teams banned alcohol in the home-team clubhouse
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

that pisses me off....i'm gonna take up drunk driving because of this.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i always thought it was funny. I dont see the point of this. Obviously hes over 21 but then again hes technically on the job in the interview room and there arent exactly many jobs you can bring a beer to so i dont really care either way.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

If the NBA wants to make a real stand...

Stop selling advertising to Beer and Alcohol companies...stop selling Beer and alcohol at the arenas.

This is a non-story...I suppose when the Warriors get knocked out by the Jazz, they can blame the NBA for not allowing Nelson to drink a beer at his press conference...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
If the NBA wants to make a real stand...

Stop selling advertising to Beer and Alcohol companies...stop selling Beer and alcohol at the arenas.

This is a non-story...I suppose when the Warriors get knocked out by the Jazz, they can blame the NBA for not allowing Nelson to drink a beer at his press conference...
why would they stop selling beer or beer advertising??? Beer has never killed or hurt anyone. Idiots that drive after they drink do but thats not the alcohol its selfs fault.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
why would they stop selling beer or beer advertising??? Beer has never killed or hurt anyone. Idiots that drive after they drink do but thats not the alcohol its selfs fault.
I agree with your point that there's no reason for them to stop accepting advertising, but your rational is off. Beer alone has certainly killed plenty of people.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I agree with your point that there's no reason for them to stop accepting advertising, but your rational is off. Beer alone has certainly killed plenty of people.
i personally think its more of a lack of self control in some cases and stupidity in others that have killed people for the most part.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
i personally think its more of a lack of self control in some cases and stupidity in others that have killed people for the most part.
One could make the same claim about heavy narcotics.

Obviously lack of self control has to be involved to die from beer alone, I just wanted to point out that it's not just drunk driving that kills people. I mean you can simply drink too much alcohol and die on the spot.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
One could make the same claim about heavy narcotics.

Obviously lack of self control has to be involved to die from beer alone, I just wanted to point out that it's not just drunk driving that kills people. I mean you can simply drink too much alcohol and die on the spot.
yeah i know. ive got buddies in frats. thats where the stupidity comes in(though the stupidity isnt always from the person drinking the beer.)
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always surprised at the number of people (women, mostly) that drink wine at the Mavericks games. And I wonder as they're downing their 4th glass of wine, if they're driving.

I went to nearly every Stars game this season and did not see or hear of any drunk driving incidents in the parking lot or around the arena
Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

conspiracy!

They waited til after the Warriors beat the Mavs before taking away Nellies beer. A dried-out postgame Nellie was the advantage we needed. Crap.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I bet he'll retire again after this season!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The people that have died due to allergic reactions from beer would definitely beg to differ... The children that were spontaneously aborted due to their mothers ingestion of alcoholic beverages would also beg to differ.. or those born pre-term to consumption of alcohol...

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-08-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

This actually is pretty hypocritical.

The sports writers can sit and watch the games and have a beer while watching.

If they want to set an example, they should ban alcohol at all games. There are fans driving home intoxicated after every game, putting the general public at risk.

Since the NBA is showing how concerned about their "image," they should be consistent by being concerned about the public safety and the risk imposed by drunk drivers leaving their games.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

It's free sponsorship for whatever beer Nellie brings in... like a Nike athlete wearing ADIDAS kicks. Nike no like.

Gotta pay to play.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

i didnt know bud light counted as beer let alone alcohol!
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
This actually is pretty hypocritical.

The sports writers can sit and watch the games and have a beer while watching.

If they want to set an example, they should ban alcohol at all games. There are fans driving home intoxicated after every game, putting the general public at risk.

Since the NBA is showing how concerned about their "image," they should be consistent by being concerned about the public safety and the risk imposed by drunk drivers leaving their games.
There's no alcohol served in press boxes. At least not at the AAC.

As far as the fans go...Sports and beer is as American as apple pie. Never shall the two seperate.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
don't you remember the battle of beerrun? and beercreek?...man vs. brew....it was a terrible sight to behold.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

there is nothing wrong with a company telling its employee not to drink beer on the job...it is roughly the same as telling him not to drink on the bench...or at practice...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

booo!! What a horrible rule!
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #21
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That's all I needed. I fully support this ruling! :P
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
The people that have died due to allergic reactions from beer would definitely beg to differ... The children that were spontaneously aborted due to their mothers ingestion of alcoholic beverages would also beg to differ.. or those born pre-term to consumption of alcohol...
the people who died from allergic reaction is valid. the others have to do with stupidity. like i said, the stupidity doesnt have to be by the person drinking the beer.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #23
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Ridiculous!
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The point being the NBA is trying to come off as all high and mighty by banning beer at a press conference.

Quit wasting out time with such a ploy. It doesn't mean squat!!!

Hey, I enjoy my beverage from time to time at the arena...that's why I ride the DART...it gives me a bit of time before I get into my car...or at least a chance to call someone to come pick me up at the final stop...

Bottom line, alcohol represents money...money that can NOT be replaced!!!

I should know...my son's soccer team works a stand from time to time as a fund raiser...we have ONLY worked those that sale alcohol because that is where we can raise the most money.

Trust me, I don't want them to stop selling booze at the arena, or to stop the advertisements...I'm just saying that the NBA does not need to act all high and mighty...to do so would be to eliminate the alcohol all together...then they could claim to be setting an example.

Until then...somebody pass me a black and tan!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #25
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
booo!! What a horrible rule!
booo!! What a horrible d-m.com member!
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #26
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i've been drunk since this morning
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote