Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of
Default U.S. clinch Davis Cup

Bob and Mike Bryan swept aside Russians Nikolay Davydenko and Igor Andreev in Saturday's doubles to earn the United States an unbeatable 3-0 lead and a record 32nd Davis Cup.

The Americans, who won the opening singles matches at Memorial Coliseum, had not claimed the team title for 12 years, their last success also coming against Russia on the clay of Moscow in 1995.

The dominant Bryan brothers, winners of five grand slam titles together, crushed their opponents 7-6 6-4 6-2 in just under two hours to secure their 13th doubles triumph in 14 Davis Cup appearances.

"We will remember this for the rest of our lives," a beaming Mike Bryan said in a courtside television interview.

"It's difficult to explain how we feel right now. It was a dream for us to win the final match."

American number one Andy Roddick, who claimed the opening rubber and is unbeaten in six Davis Cup singles matches this year, told a news conference: "To be here and bring the Cup back to the States is an amazing feeling.

"But more important, just to share the journey with these guys, it's been so much fun. For us to have our moment, I feel like we really do deserve it"

U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe was elated with his team's breakthrough victory after seven unsuccessful years in charge.

"It's been a long road," said McEnroe, who captained the team for the first time in February 2001. "I couldn't be happier for these guys because they've been through it all together.

"We've had a lot of ups and downs but this feels awesome."

Russian captain Shamil Tarpishchev, who guided his team to Davis Cup titles in 2002 and last year, paid tribute to the winners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c8912bf885a81aae803b77c8e0653622-getty-77165047jf030_davis_cup_fin.jpg (7.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (9.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture2.jpg (6.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture3.jpg (8.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Picture4.jpg (7.6 KB, 0 views)
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

why not post in your tennis thread?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was a post about curling or badminton...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:29 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

what is this?

golf?

GO USA!!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

That's awesome, go USA. I'll be real, I'll watch tennis if I know it's happening & I forgot completely about this. Was it on Versus? I know the early rounds were, b/c it made me feel sad to see ads for them during a nationally broadcast Stars game.

Anyway, that's very cool to see. Roddick hasn't been that good since he won the Open, but he always seems to do well for the Davis Cup team.