Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-05-2001, 04:19 AM   #1
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

In this corner in the black trunks it's the number seeded San Antonio Spurs, and here are your Dallllaaaaaasss Mavericks. Game 1, ding ding.

Well I have to get up at at 8:30 in the morning to watch the game at my friend's house. It will be refreshing to see us play the Spurs, relative to the eye-sore of a team called Utah.

I hope Dallas are competitive in game 1, and a win would be really cool.

Dallas 96
San Antonio 95
Old 05-05-2001, 11:49 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Hard to tell which way this ones gonna go. Are the Mavs gonna come out on a high, or are they gonna be tired and beatup. Secondly, hows SA gonna come out? They haven't played in a while. Are they rested and ready to go or was there break too long and they come out sluggish. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] . How injured is Dirk(he didn't look good yesterday IMO). I'm gonna say we lose game 1.

Mavs 89
Spurs 97

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #3
Mav_on_the_Move

Mav_on_the_Move is on a distinguished road

T minus 1 hour 54 minutes and counting.
Old 05-05-2001, 03:53 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Where are all the Game 1 predictions?! I have a feeling the Mavs will drop this one, especially with the injuries and fatigue incurred from the previous game/series. Mavs 88, Spurs 102

Oh and I hope Samaki Walker trips and falls on his goofy face. Loser.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 06:08 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

3 fouls on Dirk already. What the hell?
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 06:42 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Spurs up by 10, not looking good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2001, 06:55 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

Juwan ejected on a bogus call. Might be good, he was playing EXCEPTIONALLY bad defense today.
Old 05-05-2001, 07:03 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I think he should have gotten a flagrant but am not too sure about the flagrant two.
Old 05-05-2001, 07:07 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I totally agree with you DJ. Flagrant 1 but NOT a flagrant 2. He clearly went after the ball IMO.

Old 05-05-2001, 07:09 PM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

oh, and, I hope Buck gets alot of Howards minutes the second half. I think he could really help.

Fin, Nash, Dirk all need to pick it up. Bradley's the only one playing well IMO.

Old 05-05-2001, 07:13 PM   #11
djb
Administrator

I don't know if he was just going after the ball..looks like he was trying to foul Anderson and prevent the easy bucket as well. But, I don't think he was trying to level him and injure him like that. Unfortunately, Anderson hit the ground pretty hard, so the refs had little choice but to eject him.
Old 05-05-2001, 07:15 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

I hope Anderson is ok and can come back in the second half.
Old 05-05-2001, 07:24 PM   #13
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Man, I feel like crap. 3rd Degree shoulder seperation for Anderson...3-6 weeks out...That blows...I am a Mavs fan first, but I also like the Spurs, and that really sucked. Howard was wrong to foul like that, but Anderson's injury may cost the Spurs a lot down the road...
Old 05-05-2001, 07:28 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

Man that sucks! The last thing we need is for the damn Lakers to have yet another advantage over the Spurs when the two teams meet later on.
Old 05-05-2001, 08:09 PM   #15
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

ugh... Shawn Bradley can't carry us EVERY night...

uggggggghhhh

feel bad for Anderson, but I feel worse for the other Spurs 'cause I hate Derek Anderson...

That'll be terrible if we cost them a championship.
Old 05-05-2001, 08:33 PM   #16
PN_JUNCTION

PN_JUNCTION is on a distinguished road

So what's the plan for Monday?

Is Nellie going to get Juwan Howard to take out Robinson or Duncan? I think he should go for Duncan since Robinson is a little larger and would be tougher to take out for the season. I think by Wednesday we can have Duncan and Robinson out! This will give us the best chance to win the series. Let's go Mavs!
Spurs are nothing without their big three.

P.S. Do you think Cuban might be willing to hire someone to take out DA for good and finish the job? I think he can afford it.
PN_JUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 09:41 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

It's amazing how many Spurs fans actually think Howard meant to harm DA on that play. I mean, it's clear he meant to prevent the basket and foul him in the act..I'm not naive. But was he intentionally trying to end his season? No. Should he have been ejected because he did? Yes. Does this make him a dirty player? No! Spurs fans have a right to be pissed about this, but you wouldn't believe the amount of classless comments they're throwing around on various boards. Anderson's injury was a result of an accident. Howard apologized for it, Anderson accepted, end of story.

Check here for Spurs fan comments. You'd think a classy team like the Spurs would have more classy fans.
Old 05-05-2001, 09:49 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Hmmm..... From what I've seen, most people agree that it was a bad call. But I can understand there frustration.

Old 05-05-2001, 11:13 PM   #19
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

At the time it was called I thought the call was wrong, but then I thought that if Anderson was going to be out for the game, Howard should have been ejected also. This would mean a flagrant 2. Anderson's going to be out for the season in all likelihood....and probably Howard will get off w/o another suspension. I think the Mavs got off pretty well in that regard.
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 11:56 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

PN_JUNCTION - you sure sound a lot like Mavs_Whiner. Juwan was not trying to hurt Anderson, they were college teammates. Once Nash fell down, Juwan went for the block/hard foul to prevent the layup. That's playoff basketball not evil intent. Their arms got tangled and Anderson hit the floor hard. There wasn't any malice in the play, just an accident. Lighten up PN_JUNCTION.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:10 AM   #21
djb
Administrator

Erub, I don't think the flagrant two was justified JUST because Anderson ended up having his shoulder injured. I mean, what if it turned out that he really didn't get injured and would thus be available for the second half? Howard would still be ejected. Of course this is all hypothetical. Anyway, MavsFanFinley put it best in the other thread:

PJ Carlisimo (sp) was saying that a flagrant foul 1 is intentionally trying to hurt a player. A flagrant foul 2 is intentionally trying to hurt a player and using excessiveness. That it's the act that should be considered not the result. Add that to Doug Collins' remarks about Howard not being a hot head before the incident. That Howard wasn't frustrated before the play and looking to get even about something previous in the game.

Shouldn't Howards foul be considered a flagrant 1 then? It's the result that was ugly and caused injury, not the act? That sounds like a fine line.

I agree wholeheartedly with her take on the situation. It was a hard foul, but Howard was definitely not trying to hurt Anderson by using excessive force.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:42 AM   #22
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

I dont mean to sound crude, but I liked that foul... San Antonio was coming inside dunking on us and when Bradley blocked shots they were crying to the refs about it too... I dont think Howard should have apologized for the block. He went for the ball!!! Plain and simple. It wasnt his fault that DA decided he wanted to be like Jordan and thought he was a basketball GOD and was going to show us that the MAVS are a bunch of punks that barely got by UTAH. That block showed SA... dont come in here with that flashy shit or you are going to get hurt. The rest of the Mavs should have done that. He came in and dunked on us once already. Someone needed to do that. Its too bad that he ACCIDENTALLY hit his arms after he hit the ball and DA came down hard. Maybe if he wasnt trying to show off it wouldnt have happened???

Come on... get a little attitude. Where was it this game??? They had it in the UTAH series... dont start this love affair with San Antonio. Who CARES what they think???

I know there is a difference between winning with class and winning it all... but look at LA. I dont think they win with class... and they are the defending champs. I guarantee that Robert Horry or Rasheed Wallace wouldnt have apologized...
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 12:52 PM   #23
MFFL
Guru

Hey giostar - I don't mind us standing up to bullies (Utah) and doing to them what they would do to us. BUT I don't want the Mavs to become Utah, I hate thug basketball. There is a difference between winning with class and winning it all, but since we probably are not going to win it all, we should have class. I agree that Anderson was trying for a showboat dunk and that ALWAYS gets you a hard foul in the playoffs. It's unfortunate that he got hurt.
Old 05-06-2001, 01:05 PM   #24
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

No, but there is a difference between being a Thug team like Utah and a Soft team like everyone thinks Dallas is...

I dont want this team to win and show no class in doing so either, but they need more of that. Its infortunate he got hurt. But dont let people sit there and dunk in your face and not do anything about it next time they try again. He already showboated once. if no one would have tried to block his shot or foul him hard... that would have been soft.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 05:08 PM   #25
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Shawn Bradley wasn't taking no crap from nobody!
Old 05-06-2001, 11:13 PM   #26
MFFL
Guru

Sorry giostar, I thought from your original post when you said dont come in here with that flashy shit or you are going to get hurt you meant that we needed to rack them up. I see now you meant to hard foul them.