Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #41
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I would agree, but I would add Rush to the short list as well.

They won't need to offer the full MLE, at least they really shouldn't have to. They can split it amongst two players.

I agree that it won't take the whole thing, but almost every team in the league could use Diop. Heck, even the Spurs might throw some cash his way. So I don't think we can realistically expect to get a relatively young center with his skill set for less than $4million. And I don't remember splitting the MLE ever really working in our favor in the past.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #42
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I mean...really, if it comes down to 4 million dollars for Diop, I'm going to pass.
It's just overpaying, he is valuable for us but if he preforms and does awesome, what do you do at the next contract? 6-8 million? 2 to 2.5 right now is the sweet spot and then it can naturally go up to more realistic figures. That's what he did in Dallas and he didn't set the world on fire in NJ to really say, I'm playing like I should be making 4 mil/per.

I think it's a short list of teams with the combination of money to throw at him and places where he'd actually want to go. I've said it before, he loves Dallas and the people and he has been able to thrive here. Most of the other places are going to be 50/50 on if he can actually succeed. If he doesn't pan out, he's lost a future big pay-day. In Dallas, he'll be comfortable and know he'll get the time and be in an organization that he is used to and hit the ground running. It's a safer bet for him.

4 mil on a backup center or 4 mil on a starting 2 guard...which is actually the bigger hole to fill?

I'm thinking to 2 guard because they don't seem inclined to trade Josh away to get the 2 or whatever pieces you want. If they do that, it will be after working with Carlisle and the team and seeing it's a bust, maybe around the trading deadline.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-15-2008 at 03:30 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #43
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I completely agree with BGMaverick here.

Diop averaged 2.5 pts, 4.5 reb, 0.9 blocks, and 41% shooting in New Jersey... even though he is a good defender there is no way those numbers merit the MLE or anything close to it.

I would much rather save the entire MLE for a swingman like Childress (hopefully) or Davis than even use a portion of it on Diop. Although if we can get a starting two guard through trade I would be happy to use 2 million or so to sign him.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #44
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Teams obviously overpay, it's just a nature of the beast. I would just rather overpay for the 2 instead of the backup 5. It's a glaring hole, and has been that way for a while.

I don't think Childress will really be an option, they'll keep him and/or Smith. You're talking about Ricky Davis, correct? He could be an option, but I think he's lower on the "wish list." But he is an option.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

OMG, no way no Ricky davis tho!! I wouldn't want him here.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree about Diop. You can't give up 4 million of your MLE for a position you can fill for the vet min. Part of me wants Diop back but then again I'd like to see some player changes happen with this roster. The Damp/Diop tandem has been effective but it hasn't won us a championship and provides little offense. I just think that Diop and Damp are too similar in what they provide. It would seem to make more sense to have one gritty, defensive big man and then one that can score on the inside.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #47
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't give up 4 million of your MLE for a position you can fill for the vet min.
You can't get a competent back up center for the vet min. in the summer. You may be able to pull it off after the late seasons cuts but even then it's a crap shoot.

When you consider that our starting center is a 25 minute per game player his back up is pretty important.

I don't think there's any way we fill the back up center and shooting guard voids with just the MLE. Unless, of course, we hit on a player that nobody else really wanted.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #48
BGMaverick9
Guru

The last one you said dirno can happen, you just have to really luck into the situation. Trades are the more definitive route. But you can't ignore the fact we don't have a definitive fit at the starting 2 spot.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #49
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

They used to say that two guards were a dime a dozen. Hell, maybe they still are, if the Spurs are still using our deadweight as one of theirs.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

How bad is it for us if they are and we still don't have one?

I still think 2.5 mil is the right amount for Diop, if not...look for another option and still look for a 2 or keep pursuing the trade route. I think though that the trade route looks less likely until more into the season.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame we used the amnesty on Finley rather than Avery.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

he'd still be saying the same thing as he is now:
"Ko'ach is getting paid!"
Old 06-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #53
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
You can't get a competent back up center for the vet min. in the summer. You may be able to pull it off after the late seasons cuts but even then it's a crap shoot.

When you consider that our starting center is a 25 minute per game player his back up is pretty important.

I don't think there's any way we fill the back up center and shooting guard voids with just the MLE. Unless, of course, we hit on a player that nobody else really wanted.
Depends what you consider competent. There are a plethora of names though that I'd think the vet min could get you, depending on whether they would want to come or not.

Unrestricted free agent centers for cheap:

Malik Allen
Jamaal Magloire
Theo Ratliff
Chris Mihm
Kwame Brown
Michael Doleac
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner
Franciso Elson (he might cost a little more but the stats don't really warrant it)
Primoz Brezec

There are few half-decent names on there could fill in 10-15 minutes at least. If we really need our back-up center to play 25-30 minutes then maybe we just need a new starting one.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-16-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #54
DIRKNOWITZKI

DIRKNOWITZKI is on a distinguished road

brezec would be a good fit out of that group
DIRKNOWITZKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #55
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Unrestricted free agent centers for cheap:

Malik Allen
Jamaal Magloire
Theo Ratliff
Chris Mihm
Kwame Brown
Michael Doleac
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner
Franciso Elson (he might cost a little more but the stats don't really warrant it)
Primoz Brezec
We already have 2 of those guys and you can cross Kwame Brown off the list - if he's "worth" Gasol, then we'd have to trade Josh Howard to acquire him...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #56
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Gimmie Theo Ratliff
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #57
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ill take Chris Mihm with about 6 years of injury rust off of him.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 06-16-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #58
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I prefer Ratliff too.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #59
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Ratliff is a dinosaur. Let's spend our money on CJ Miles. Then we can trade Stack (only guaranteed $2 mill so almost expiring) or a resigned George or someone for a backup center.

Last edited by Eman; 06-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #60
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

CJ miles is good, but has no experience...if were goin to go after a title were goin to need someone who has experience...if were goin to be trying to rebuild or use him as a backup and eventually get him in there, he would be great...he is essentially a rookie, but maybe with some summer league experience could be a big bonus like bass
chosen_one8976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #61
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

cj miles per 20 min, did not count games 19 and under

pts-9.7
reb-2.6
ast-2
stl-0.9

not bad, probably get better with more experience
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #62
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one8976
cj miles per 20 min, did not count games 19 and under

pts-9.7
reb-2.6
ast-2
stl-0.9

not bad, probably get better with more experience
Give me these stats on Wright??

Because honestly if we dont go after a big name like Redd or Maggette...or someone experienced like Davis...then I would rather giver Wright a shot then sign other young guys like Miles or whoever.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #63
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

You know, Ricky Davis might just be the kind of arrogant, cancerous, hot-head that Carlysle could turn into a top 2 guard again. Davis would also be a good pairing with Kidd. A think it's something to look at if it becomes one of the last things left on the table. If that falls through then I agree about giving someone like Wright a shot. I like what Wright has to offer.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #64
bgarrett
Banned

Im so against R Davis, but i guess if there was no other option besides starting Stack again,ugh... Im not sure Carlisle would want to add that kind of a piece this early and introduce that to the team.

Regardless of the likely trade coming up I am very interested in at least getting a fair look at our young guys finally! Unlike when Avery was here. I can't wait to see at least 3 R.Terry, Seibutis, Wright.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #65
chosen_one8976

the young guys on this team have a chance...ive heard terry has worked really hard this year, i think he put on 15 pounds! of muscle, while playin, not easy to do while your runnin up and down the court. he could turn out to be a sleeper for this team...im not too sure about seibutis, havent really heard much about him since last years summer league

wright averaged 25 minutes a game in nj and only averaged 7 pts, 3 rbs, 1 ass, and .5 stls, and only shot 28% from three, though once he got to dallas he shot about 50% from three, im guessin he just has poor shot selection...we will have to see how he does in the summer league, along with terry and seibutis. unlike fazekas, who put up big numbers in the summer and D leagues, these guys can get up and down the court and have a potentially good nba game...im all for the young guys comin off the bench and givin us some good min
Old 06-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #66
BGMaverick9
Guru

If Ricky Davis can be a scoring James Posey...then make it happen.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #67
bgarrett
Banned

RD can't play the D Posey plays and probably can't shoot it from 3 consistently like Posey either. By the way JP has played this post season I would rather have him.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #68
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
RD can't play the D Posey plays and probably can't shoot it from 3 consistently like Posey either. By the way JP has played this post season I would rather have him.
That's why I said IF.....IF he could...
Any GM would take what Posey is doing right now. The slurp-fest by JVG was pretty intense in the last game.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #69
bgarrett
Banned

YEAH I saw the IF but ..... IF JJB could create and pass like Kidd we could have saved a ton of money and half our team.

After watching Posey again tonight the slurpfest seems more appropriate.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #70
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Mavs begin work with the 51st pick
Searching for value in the Draft

Art Garcia | Mavs.com
Draft Central 2008

The Mavericks are sitting with the 51st pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Don’t expect them to sit still. Though nothing is guaranteed, dealing into the first round is a very real option.

“I don’t think there’s any doubt that we’ll try,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “First-round picks, this time of year, everybody gets enamored with them.”

Pulling the trigger on a trade before the annual dispersal of new talent is unlikely, but all bets are off on June 26. The franchise is usually quite active once David Stern steps up to the podium to announce the No. 1 pick.

In eight drafts during Mark Cuban’s tenure, nine trades have been made involving draft picks. The team has held pat just three times (2001-02 and 2005) over that span.

The first Draft with Cuban added three 2000 first-round picks to the roster in Etan Thomas, Courtney Alexander and Donnell Harvey. The biggest night, in terms of star power, had to be the 2004 haul that landed Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner in exchange for Antawn Jamison and cash.

The Mavs can secure of those precious top 30 picks through a trade or simply by buying one. Teams can sell picks for up to $3 million.

“You know Mark is going to be aggressive,” Carlisle added. “If we can increase our asset base and there’s an opportunity to do it, I’m sure he will consider it.”

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and director of scouting Amadou Gallo Fall head up the scouting efforts that span the globe. The team has numerous scouts working throughout North and South America, Europe and Asia.

Dozens of potential draftees will make it through Dallas for interviews and workouts before the Draft. The team is looking for players with potential to make an impact at some point and not at specific positions.

Carlisle believes the team can find value in the second round. Last year’s two picks – Reyshawn Terry (44th) and Renaldas Seibutis (50th) – both have a great shot at making the roster this season.

“There’s no doubt the draft is deep,” he said. “We feel like at 51 we’re getting somebody that has a chance to make the roster either this year or next year. It may be a European that stays over there. Donnie and Gallo do such a great job of scouring the whole universe so it should be exciting.”

Those added through the Draft will likely join Terry and Seibutis on the summer league roster. Both are working out at the team’s American Airlines Center practice facility even before the team is put together.

“They’re going be around for summer league so we’re going to have a lot of time to make decisions,” said Carlisle, who plans to spend considerable time at summer league.

The two swingmen played in Greece last season. Terry, a North Carolina product, has added considerable muscle to his 6-foot-7 frame. Seibutis (6-6) could still pack on a few pounds to his slight build, but he’s been compared favorably to a young Doug Collins by the Mavs personnel department.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 AM   #71
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Link to the Mavs Draft Central Site: Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #72
BGMaverick9
Guru

off of RealGMs article, here is who Dallas is specifically bringing in for workouts for the draft:

Sundiata Gaines
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...a-Gaines-5171/

Stefhon Hannah
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...n-Hannah-5079/

George Hill
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/George-Hill-5067/

Hill sounds interesting...and he would be available in the 2nd round for sure. Looks like they are definitely looking to maybe build a PG of the future through the draft. At least, have a young body to throw out there. And still find someone of another need in the first round.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #73
chosen_one8976

hill is def the best of the three...if the mavs want him, hopefully hes still there at 51
Old 06-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #74
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

desperation move we give the bulls dirk for the first pick..we get beasley or rose and grow with them.but thats a pipe dream and the hugest gamble.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #75
bgarrett
Banned

Thats it>? First pick...