Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I've never owned a gun before...well, I've got an ancient .22 that wouldn't slow down an angry bunny rabbit, but I've never owned a grown-up gun before. Maybe I should buy one before they're outlawed by Obamanation. Any recommendations? Just something that'd mortally wound a crackhead or a social worker should the need arise....and something not too loud. I don't like loud noises.

In times past I've never gotten too bent out of shape over "gun control" one way or the other. The NRA and Republicans invariably chatter endlessly over whether one can hunt a deer or shoot a crackhead, but really the heart of the "gun" issue is the ability to defend oneself from the central government, not deer and crackheads.

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

It's a quaint 18th century notion that armed masses are essential to the preservation of liberty, because armed masses means that the central government can't gain a monopoly on the use of violence. Orwell, in one of my favorite little essays says, "The age of the Rifle was the Age of democracy", echoing the sentiment that the degree of dispersion of political power is directly related to the dispersion of the means of violence....or political power comes out of the end of the barrel of a gun as someone else said...

...but I digress...

The Fed Gov has a monopoly on the means of violence, so that ship has long since sailed. You and I don't stand a chance of standing up to our government. We're its little bitches whether we like it or know it or not. For an example of what one might expect if one trys to defend oneself from the forces of the Federal Government, see ca. Waco Texas, April 1994.

At least....that's what I've long thought, but as I watch the ascendancy of 4th generation warfare I'm reminded atom bombs and stealth bombers and aircraft carriers aren't perfect weapons in every situation....I'm reminded of this and I bet Obama is too, hence when Obama quite carefully qualifies,

"Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

I'm willing to bet that "lawful" is going to get a lot more restrictive, and I'd sooner take a crackheads word. I think I will go buy a gun, or two. I might like to have something that I can convert into an semi or an automatic. Any recommendations?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
I'm willing to bet that "lawful" is going to get a lot more restrictive, and I'd sooner take a crackheads word. I think I will go buy a gun, or two. I might like to have something that I can convert into an semi or an automatic. Any recommendations?
That's EXACTLY why people are buying up guns now, as quickly as they can.

As for recommendations, my personal favorite "assault rifle" is the Israeli Galil, but there are several good ones. The Bulgarian SA-93 is a nice gun too. You could also get a 12 gauge Saiga, which is basically a 12 gauge shotgun on an AK47 platform (semi-auto).

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump View Post
That's EXACTLY why people are buying up guns now, as quickly as they can.
yeah, and what I belabor to point out is that not only is Obama a flaming liberal commie, but he's a flaming liberal commie in a climate where the powers-that-be, I believe, are s---ing in their pants scared about maintaining control.

Tags
freaky voodoo > guns, guns