Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best place to watch Cowboys game in Dallas?

Going to Dallas for the weekend. HUGE game this coming Sunday against the Giants.

What is the best place to watch the game?
good food. good prices. good beer.
those are my only requirements =]

give me some suggestions!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Not at Silk's house, that's for sure - he thinks Romo is a choker...

But just about ANY sports bar will have the game on - the best places are usually the most crowded (what's your preference on that?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The more Boys fans, the better!

I've gone to Fox and Hound, Hooters, and Fox Sports and Grill (in California). I had the most fun at Fox Sports, so I'm leaning towards that at the moment.

Contact Me
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
The more Boys fans, the better!

I've gone to Fox and Hound, Hooters, and Fox Sports and Grill (in California). I had the most fun at Fox Sports, so I'm leaning towards that at the moment.
The Fox Sports Grill is way the hell up north in Plano - if you don't mind rubbing elbows with fair weather fans, then that might be a decent choice (they have great televisions, but their food is only so-so, not horrible though)... The view is nice - lots of hot chicks married to guys richer than you (even if you're rich...)

Fox & Hound seems a bit "stuffy" for football, but they have a great selection of beers and the folks who ARE watching the game tend to be real fans...

Hooters - it is what it is...

What part of Dallas are you staying in?

Last edited by Underdog; 12-08-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The Fox Sports Grill is way the hell up north in Plano - if you don't mind rubbing elbows with fair weather fans, then that might be a decent choice (they have great televisions, but their food is only so-so, not horrible though)... The view is nice - lots of hot chicks married to guys richer than you (even if you're rich...)

Fox & Hound seems a bit "stuffy" for football, but they have a great selection of beers and the folks who ARE watching the game tend to be real fans...

Hooters - it is what it is...

What part of Dallas are you staying in?
UD,
Come on, Man!!! There are alot of hard-core Cowboy fans north of Plano...Stop hating on Frisco......
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
UD,
Come on, Man!!! There are alot of hard-core Cowboy fans north of Plano...Stop hating on Frisco......
I wasn't hating on Plano or Frisco - I was pointing out that it's a LONG way north of downtown (nothing wrong with living there if you don't mind sitting in traffic for a couple hours going to and from work...)

The "fair weather fans" comment has more to do with the people who frequent Fox Sports Grill - it's usually full of folks who want to LOOK like they're hardcore fans, rather than actually BEING hardcore fans (we used to call them "posers" back in my skateboarding days)... These folks often expose themselves with comments like "we should trade T.O." whenever he drops a pass, "our defense sucks" whenever the other team completes a pass, or may favorite, "Romo is a choker" whenever he tosses a pick at the end of a close game (which has only happened twice in his career...)

Last edited by Underdog; 12-08-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been intrigued by the people that like to watch football in crowded sports bars. Now granted, I'm just simply not a big fan of people I don't know, just in general. I don't like to engage in small talk, for instance.

But the list of places I would watch a game before "crowded sports bar" is incredibly long, and would probably include places like Best Buy.....

Is that weird?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I've always been intrigued by the people that like to watch football in crowded sports bars. Now granted, I'm just simply not a big fan of people I don't know, just in general. I don't like to engage in small talk, for instance.

But the list of places I would watch a game before "crowded sports bar" is incredibly long, and would probably include places like Best Buy.....

Is that weird?
No, I totally agree with you and have been thinking the same thing. I like to watch sports on my couch. I don't care if there's a bunch of people over, because chances are I know them. But in public, in a bar, with smoking and loudness and whatever else...not my idea of fun.

I often times meet my Father at Buffalo Wild Wings before we go to a Stars game on Saturday nights/afternoons, and I am always intrigued by the guy at the bar during college football season with the [SCHOOL] hat, and the [SCHOOL] t-shirt and/or jersey, and his bored looking wife/girlfriend is wearing [SCHOOL] sweat shirt and they're there before the game starts, by themselves and they're looking around for who they're going to bully by cheering and hooting and hollering the loudest. And oh yeah, the game is one CBS or ESPN or something. Why wouldn't you stay home and enjoy the game?

(unless you don't have a tv, then I understand)

But I'm with thig...I just don't like people.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 12-08-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
alby
Guru

Since I'm a visitor, I don't have a couch to lounge on. I used to have the same connotation when it came to crowded sports bars, until I watched the Cowboys v. Patriots game last year in Orange County. Probably the most fun I've had watching a game without being at a game. The place was two stories and they split up each level. Cowboys on the 1st floor and Patriots on the 2nd floor, and we were just having shouting matches all game.

I'll be staying in Addison (Tollway/635), but I don't mind the drive... after experiencing California for a few years, anything under 1 hour is short to me lol.

So, no other suggestions?

Contact Me
Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you're in Addison there's about a million places you could go on Belt Line Rd. I bet Humperdinks and Duke's will be hopping pretty good for a Cowboys game. And that Fox sports grill is probably only 10 or 15 minutes up the tollway from where you'll be...though I've never been there.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
alby
Guru

Yeah, I kinda wanna check out Fox Sports Grill. Plus, I'm originally from Plano so I'm sure I can get a few buddies to join me =]

Contact Me
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

The bar at the Gaylord in Grapevine. They've got the biggest TV screen in the metroplex, as far as I know, and it's always a blast in there for Cowboys games/Mavs playoff games.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
alby
Guru

^ Thank you

Contact Me
Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
The bar at the Gaylord in Grapevine. They've got the biggest TV screen in the metroplex, as far as I know, and it's always a blast in there for Cowboys games/Mavs playoff games.
Texas Station?

A little snooty and expensive were my impressions of that place. My sister used to work there a long time ago.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Texas Station?

A little snooty and expensive were my impressions of that place. My sister used to work there a long time ago.
Yeah, that's it, Texas Station.

It's both snooty and expensive in general, but the snootiness definitely comes down a tad during a Cowboys game. You get at least a fair amount of run-of-the-mill Cowboys fans there (though, there are still plenty of the kind of people who show up to Mavs games in the lower bowl wearing their pastel colored button-ups).

Really, the only reason I've gone there for games is because some friends wanted to go, and screen is literally like 8 giant TV screens put together. It's pretty incredible.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32

Is that weird?
Would probably include Best Buy...lol...very good one.

I tend to agree with your general sentiment--and like Flaco, I'm not all that fond of people--but I think there's a time and place. I would certainly never watch any important Cowboys or Mavericks game at a crowded sports bar. But I do very fondly remember watching a Stars playoff game at Humperdinks. The atmosphere inside the joint was probably every bit as good as it was inside the arena. When the Stars scored, you couldn't hear anything besides the cheers. It was pretty cool!

I bet it would suck if the home team was losing, though.

As for places to watch that are near Tollway/635, I'd probably recommend Champps.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #17
LonghornDub

We've got a lot of people on this board who "don't like people," huh? It explains so much.