Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The only thing that negatively catches my eye is the bench comment. The only way I see that is having a solid center coming off the bench. That is the only difference I see.
Come playoff time, you aren't playing but 8-9 anyway.

O'Neal, Dirk, Parker, Wright, Kidd

Damp (plays with JO or Dirk), Terry (6th man), JJB (backup PG, etc).

I think it could work depending on JO's knees and attitude.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post

I think it could work depending on JO's knees and attitude.
That's asking a LOT, don't you think? Not so much on the attitude, I mean more on the knees.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's asking a LOT, don't you think? Not so much on the attitude, I mean more on the knees.
That is very true, there is definitely some risk involved with O'Neal's health but if it doesn't work out and we end up not winning it all we'll still have a 1st round pick this off-season and 20+ mil coming off the books for 2010 to fall back on.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Rumor has been shot down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

As you regulars know, I never do this but this whole Dallas-Toronto thing that's floating around there this morning is creating reaction well beyond proportion.

So ...

The deal is not going to happen, was never going to happen, will never happen and you can all go back to your regularly-scheduled lives, as I will with a visit to Super Son's orthodontist and my doctor, exactly the way I was going to spend an off-day before I got sidetracked with this garbage.

I have no idea why the story was made up or out there in the first place but one guy I talked to around the league used the words "total" and "nonsense" in a conversation.

Think about it: Yes, Howard is good, although many will tell you his skills and impact are declining. Diop has perhaps the worst contract for value in the league with four years and about $25 million to run -- after this year - and a trade kicker that increases the value. This for what? A rebound or two, maybe a point or two a game? Come on, are you serious? Antoine Wright? If he gets another NBA contract after next year I'll be shocked.

For what? The best young big man on Toronto's roster and the most valuable expiring contract? Do you all think Bryan has lost his mind?

I have no idea who the writer is or what hoopsworld is or why this fiction got out there but it did and it's ridiculous. End of rant.

Well, sort of.

This is a prime example of why you should trust and know the sources of your news and speculation. And it's precisely why I don't traffic in fantasy.

See you later for the game.
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
Actually, this douche didn't shoot down the rumor AT ALL - seeing as how he never cited a source, he's speculating just like everyone else...

Obviously this paid journalist doesn't understand the definition of the word "rumor" (because his opinion is no more credible than those who started the rumor...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Actually, this douche didn't shoot down the rumor AT ALL - seeing as how he never cited a source, he's speculating just like everyone else...

Obviously this paid journalist doesn't understand the definition of the word "rumor" (because his opinion is no more credible than those who started the rumor...)
He is the Raptors inside blogger. He is close with the team and sure has alot more credibility than the guy who started the rumor
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
He is the Raptors inside blogger. He is close with the team and sure has alot more credibility than the guy who started the rumor
Yet he couldn't cite anyone who actually works for the Raptors to shoot this rumor down...

He might be close to the organization, but he's still stating an OPINION, just like everyone else (which is what rumors are all about, until proven otherwise...)

EDIT: Not that I think this deal will go down, but don't claim that a rumor has been shot down until someone with authority actually shoots it down...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
That is very true, there is definitely some risk involved with O'Neal's health but if it doesn't work out and we end up not winning it all we'll still have a 1st round pick this off-season and 20+ mil coming off the books for 2010 to fall back on.
That's definitely the view you have to take. You're again going big or going home. You know Dallas would need to be hit with a home-run player offered for JO next year to walk away from the idea of letting 20+ coming off the books.

vRookie, just b/c he's an insider blogger doesn't mean he's secondary GM and knows what will happen.

Either way, if we can get Parker either way and it comes down to JO or AB, I'd take Jermaine but be scared short term.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
That's definitely the view you have to take. You're again going big or going home. You know Dallas would need to be hit with a home-run player offered for JO next year to walk away from the idea of letting 20+ coming off the books.

vRookie, just b/c he's an insider blogger doesn't mean he's secondary GM and knows what will happen.

Either way, if we can get Parker either way and it comes down to JO or AB, I'd take Jermaine but be scared short term.
Isn't it the same deal with Jason Kidd though?

Cuban said we were in "win-now mode" when the Kidd-Harris deal went down, but he never followed it up with another "win-now" move... Jermaine O'Neal could be the kind of GO BIG OR GO HOME move this team needs...

Dirk/Kidd/O'Neal either works or we blow it up...

Besides, Kidd only has a couple years left in him and Dirk's prime can only last so long - let's do something before the window completely closes on this team for good...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Isn't it the same deal with Jason Kidd though?

Cuban said we were in "win-now mode" when the Kidd-Harris deal went down, but he never followed it up with another "win-now" move... Jermaine O'Neal is exactly the kind of GO BIG OR GO HOME move this team needs...

Dirk/Kidd/O'Neal either works or we blow it up...

Besides, Kidd only has a couple years left in him and Dirk's prime can only last so long - let's do something before the window completely closes on this team for good...
Oh no doubt...I agree 100% with what you said. I was just stating the obvious that it's a go big or go home move. A move was still needed after the Kidd deal. You're either getting a SG or a C. Jermaine fits the bill, I just wish (being greedy) it was a more reliable/healthy person. That's the risk you have to take though.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Underdog

Quote:
Oh no doubt...I agree 100% with what you said. I was just stating the obvious that it's a go big or go home move. A move was still needed after the Kidd deal. You're either getting a SG or a C. Jermaine fits the bill, I just wish (being greedy) it was a more reliable/healthy person. That's the risk you have to take though.
I'd take an unhealthy Jermaine O'Neal over an apathetic Josh Howard right now... At least JO has some heart!

(but on the downside, Cuban would lose a smoking buddy... Wait, is that really a downside???)

Tags
blueberries, i hate hoopsworld.com, pointed, pointless