Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-08-2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Did anybody get NBA Live 2003 today? They didn't come out in North Carolina today. I pre-paid mine. So I am guaranteed one tomorrow.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Nope, probably gonna pick up NBA 2K3 tomorrow though.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:08 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I have a PS2, what do you have?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 10-08-2002, 11:16 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

PS2 and Xbox.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:21 PM   #5
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

2k3 2k3 2k3 2k3 2k3!
I'm excited.
I can't wait to see if it's released here.
I know Live will be, they always are, maybe thats why I want 2k3 more.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:25 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

From what i'm reading, Live is going to be a great game. They are the only game that i can think of that has Freestyle dribbling where you can make your own crossovers and dunks. Plus they have coaches, and officials on the sidelines. And they give out more awards at the end of the season and franchise mode

~The Salesman
Old 10-08-2002, 11:27 PM   #7
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

A ps2 & and Xbox Rob...interesting, what do you use more?
Is the Xbox bombing over there as badly as it is here?
The price has been dropped incredibly, and i'm still not even considering
buying one.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:04 AM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

<< A ps2 &amp; and Xbox Rob...interesting, what do you use more?
Is the Xbox bombing over there as badly as it is here?
>>

Nah, it hasn't bomb as much over here. I'm very happy with mine and I'd say I probably do use the xbox more right now. That'll change Oct 30th though(GTA:VC hint hint [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ).

Picked up NBA 2K3 for xbox. So far so good. Only played 1 game so I'll give better impressions later but I like what I've seen so far.

Btw, they even have the Mavs &quot;special&quot; chairs on the bench. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002, 11:46 AM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

How much are XBox and PS2 in Dallas? I know i could walk into a video game store and get both for $180.

~The Salesman
Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

$199. same as everywhere else in the US.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

I just got finished playing NBA Live 2003. It overall is better. The only problem i have is the shooting and contact. It is too easy to make a basket. If you so much as touch your defender, you would knock him down and get the charge called.

It has the 1st Mavericks Jersey you can wear while playing. And At halftime, Raef LaFrentz goes in the crowd and signs autographs. Don Nelson eventually pulls him away.

~The Salesman
Old 10-14-2002, 09:23 AM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ok, i rented live this past weekend. now, i haven't played 2k3 yet, but so far, live is the best basketball game i have ever played, hands down. it is unbelievably fun. the freestyle control thing with the right analog is truly a genius addition to the game. with the right movements, you can do crossovers (between the legs, in front, behind the back), killer crossovers, stutter steps, spins, etc. and the awesome thing is, it is not random. what you do depends on what hand the ball is in and what joystick movement you do. it is incredibly fun.

now, i have seen screenshots of 2k3, and i agree, the players faces do look more realistic, but live's graphics (players' faces) are not &quot;horrible&quot; they are just not as good as 2k3. however, live has done a good job with the bodies, except for the fact that everyone looks a little too muscular. and the have steve nash's long hair. ha ha. it's great!

now i have read a lot of things about 2k3 and the difficulty of the fast break. that absolutely kills it for me. but in live, you can throw alley oops on the break. i played live 2002 (which agree is not a good game) and it was impossible to do this. but when i played live, i had a 2 on 1 with nash and finley. nash had the ball, and he lobbed an oop to finley who jammed it home. i had to pause the game, because it was so awesome.

the rebounding problem in 2002 has been fixed, and the block animation is great (if you try to block a dunk or layup, the player side-swipes at the ball).

now, in all fairness, i have not plaed 2k3 yet, and i will rent it, but i am simply blown away by live. ea sports has done an amazing job with this game, and i think that all the naysayers (even those that really like 2k3) will have to admit they were wrong (not saying that it's better than 2k3, just that they have to admit that EA made a good b-ball game).

and the $5 off coupon that i got with madden may persuade me to buy live, too. also, right now at easports.com, you get free shipping on live.

anyway, to be completely fair, i will let you know what i thought of 2k3 when i rent it, but right now i will say that i was blown away by live. i was expecting 2002, and i got a complete surprise.

one gripe, it's tough to find a good camera angle (the default is way too close). i recommend the sideline camera view, zoomed out.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:27 AM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Liar [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm gonna try and rent Live later today when I take SOCOM back. I have 2K3, and I'm happy with it, but their are several things that are really annoying. All in all, it's still a really good game.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:25 PM   #14
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

They had it but I didn't get it. Which leads to a small rant from me.

WHY THE HELL do they NEVER have more then ONE good game for rent?!?!?!?!?!?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I've got like 10 rent-one-get-one-free coupons that I never get to use because they NEVER have more then 1 good game to rent [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] . IT SUCKS!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2002, 02:14 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i went to a blockbuster friday night and they had an unopened nba live 2003 on the shelf (no blockbuster box behind it). I asked them if I could rent the unopened one. They said it was open. I said it wasn't. it had the game in there, i could tell. they refused to open the box, so i took my business elsewhere.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:22 PM   #16
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

im followin this games for so long!!live 2003 is releasen on everything but pc!!b*tches!
its coming out on nov 12,than i'll get it cracked.
i know they have coaches on it,and you can get a technicel,that sounds nice.
the graphics should be amazing,im still sorry i updated to xp,2001 doesnt work with xp,i had nothin to do!
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:25 PM   #17
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

200 bucks?thats it?!i would buy five just for the kick of it!it goes up to 400 and sometimes 450 over here.sucks,im stock with regular ps,but i got a nice comp so i'll just wait for the pc version.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

<<
i know they have coaches on it,and you can get a technicel,that sounds nice.
>>

They do have coaches, you can see them on the sidelines, and they do close ups in cut scenes w/the ref.

It's funny, when the coach thinks the ref made a bad call, he jumps out of his chair. Then a player on the bench sits in it. And when he comes back, he sits on the player's lap. Then yells at him.

I've read that they have technical fouls. But i've never been called for one. The players and coaches argue w/ the ref, but that's as far as it will go.

~The Salesman
Old 10-15-2002, 01:56 AM   #19
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I got Live Fri. and its pretty good, alot better then the last 3 Live games. It is still unrealistic, against the Lakers Derek Fisher got 9 blocks. Plus FG%'s will always be in the high 60s. I think the main problem though is the rating system, I went and tried to pull off the NVE/Knick trade and believe it or not they had Charlie Ward rated a 85, NVE was a 82 and Nash was also a 85, in what world is Ward better then Nick and on par with Nash? So I had to throw in Wang to get it done. Besides that I recommend it, next week I will rent NBA2k3 and decide which one is better.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:09 AM   #20
MavsRich

MavsRich is on a distinguished road

I have both games on XBox, and I think live is better. The graphics on 2k3 is just awesome, but the graphics on live is good too. The only problem I have with live is that they tend to overrate guys and what I mean by that is 3pointers. They let some guys make all their 3ptrs but they aren't good 3pt shooters in real life. Kobe Bryant shoots 3s but he isn't as good as the game makes him out to be. The same goes for just about everyone else who has the 3 next to their name on live.
MavsRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:16 AM   #21
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

you all have rich people problems,i dont have neither!
&quot;should i rent for my xbob or my ps2 or game cube?geeess,why is life so tough&quot;.
throw me a bone here!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:25 AM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i'm gonna rent 2k3, too. but live was just so fun.

but i have been readin some stuff online, and it appears as though the game may have a slight glitch. basically, they switched up the simulation and arcade gameplay.

i heard that if you switch it to arcade (but you should change everything else to make it real, like fouls and fatigue), the game goes a little slower with not as many fast breaks. better simulation wise. I'm gonna try that out tonight and see if it's true.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #23
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< you all have rich people problems,i dont have neither!
&quot;should i rent for my xbob or my ps2 or game cube?geeess,why is life so tough&quot;.
throw me a bone here!
>>

Hahha im with you im lookin at these people complain and I cant even get 1 of them lol. ME and Blockbuster arent seeing eye to eye right now but I got the chance to look at one of my homeboys play nba live and just by lookin at it i am tryin to save money up for not only that but the modem thingy for ps2. Anyone else have one so maybe we all can play each other some time. BTW, aer you guys not changing the difficulty level and Fisher is still gettin 9 blocks? I think maybe if u put it on All Star it should change but i have played it very to little to know.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:18 AM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, you all know what i thought of live 2003 after renting it (if not, scroll up a bit, it's a few posts up).

so I rented 2k3 last night.

let me first start with the positives, which really all seem to be in franchise mode.

I simmed a couple seasons, and the franchise mode on this game is really VERY good (i never did the franchise or season on live, but i don't think it will even come close to being as good as 2k3). free agents, rookie scouting, the draft, etc. VERY well done. and even though i didn't play a game in the franchise mode, it was still very fun. i liked how if you offered one of your players the league minimum, their agent would get pissed off and not want to deal with you (just a minor touch, but pretty funny).

The espn presentation is ok, but like with nfl 2k3, i think they could have done better with the announcing/sound. it seems a little stale and boring during the game, especially during replays. i think the espn thing is overrated. it's really not that big of a deal. it's not like they have espn commentators calling the game. i did like the opening introductions when you play a game, i really wish live had that.

graphics: 2k3 definitely has better player faces and the front rows of the crowd actually look quite real. it's also got mascots sitting under the goal, too. not bad. but in comparing live to 2k3, the player's bodies in live actually look better than in 2k3. in 2k3, everyone looks a little dumpy. the main difference is the player faces. 2k3 has the edge here, while live has the edge in body models.

and it's a good thing i didn't try to play actual games in a franchise, because i would have shot myself. ok, maybe not that extreme. but on a fun/replay level, i would rank live a 9 or even a 10, and 2k3 maybe a 6. i just didn't have that much fun playing. first off, it took me a while to get used to the controls (minor complaint, but it's easy to learn). so that's not a big deal, except the free-throw shooting is even harder than in the past (if that's possible). instead of using the trigger buttons to align your shot, you now have to use the analog sticks. gameplay sometimes seemed kind of choppy. live is actually very smooth. and when you jump in 2k3, your player barely gets off the ground. now, i'm not expecting NBA JAM dunks, but a lot of guy in the NBA who are great athletes (like finley and kobe) were dunking like will perdue.

people say the slow pace of 2k3 is more realistic. well, 2k3 is almost TOO slow. if that's more realistic, you can have your real game, and i'll take one that's more fun. i seem to remember watching nba games in which some of the best athletes in the world are running breaks.

now, before i played, i had actually forgotten about the &quot;stop on the fast break to receive a pass.&quot; but i quickly remembered the complaint as I was yelling at my tv when players would stop. i've read some people say that this was a little annoying. they're wrong, it's A LOT annoying.

the right annalog pass feature is ok, but not that big of a deal. ea's freestyle with the right analog is truly revolutionary and makes it even more fun. the &quot;change your shot in mid-air&quot; feature in 2k3 is actually a nice touch. jason kidd used that against me to no end!

ok, reading back over this, it sounds like i'm really ripping 2k3. it's not a bad game by any means, but to me, it just wasn't fun. i would not see myself playing this game that much, if at all. if i bought it, i'd probably just sim seasons in the franchise. IMO, the franchise mode should not be more fun than the gameplay. and a game shouldn't have to grow on you after playing it a bunch of times. the game is either fun or it isn't.

if you took the franchise from 2k3 and some of the features (some player faces, player introductions, etc.) and added that to live, you would have god's gift to basketball games, but as it stands, i'm definitely getting nba live 2003, which i still say is the best basketball game i have ever played.

ok, i think i covered everything. now, this is my opinion. if you like 2k3, by all means buy it. but i won't be touching it.

FFM, i lucked out when i rented mine. when i rented live, the blockbuster did not have 2k3 yet. and i got the only copy of live. when i returned live, i looked for 2k3, and they had it, and i got the only copy. just lucky i guess.

i'm gonna get that online adapter once i get enought sony points from my sony card to get it for FREE! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 08:39 AM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Not tryin to change your mind but turn the game speed to high/fast(what ever the the fastest is). That helped me ALOT from just &quot;liking&quot; the game to now were I'm really starting to love it.

The pass thing is annoying but on fast it seems to be alittle less fraquent. Still something that needs some work before next years game though. Although I'm pretty used to it now.

Still gotta go pick up Live for myself.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:48 AM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh, forgot to mention, rob. i did to that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

to me, it is just not as smooth. choppy, and athletes jumping like bill walton. (not the bill walton of old, the bill walton of today).
Old 10-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #27
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Yeah, I actually agree. None of the games in all of the 2K series run smooth. Or as smooth as other title in the genre. That's a SEGA trademark, but it's not tooo bad.

Old 10-16-2002, 09:03 AM   #28
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, you have to play live, though. i think you'll be surprised.

i went into both games open minded (i thought 2k2 was better than live 2002 last year... live 2002 just wasn't good), and live 2003 is the winner for me.

guys on fanhome like shiver have been dissing live for months and haven't even played it (basing their arguments on last year's game).

plus, i like my game to be exciting and fun. live's music is cool... did 2k3 even have music? i thought the same about madden. the ea sports trax actually add a lot to the game.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:05 AM   #29
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I'm definitly gonna rent it when I can.

Old 10-16-2002, 02:27 PM   #30
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

<< i'm gonna get that online adapter once i get enought sony points from my sony card to get it for FREE! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] >>

Damn, just noticed this. You sayin your gonna get online access(broadban hopefully) at home? awwwwww yeeaaaahhhh It's on now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Filthyfin, I have the network adapter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2002, 03:05 PM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh yeah... i need to get an intenet connection first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

don't worry, i will someday.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:12 PM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<<

<< i'm gonna get that online adapter once i get enought sony points from my sony card to get it for FREE! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] >>

Damn, just noticed this. You sayin your gonna get online access(broadban hopefully) at home? awwwwww yeeaaaahhhh It's on now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Filthyfin, I have the network adapter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
>>

Aight it might take me awhile but I hope to be getting one soon. I actually couldve bought it but went up and bought STreet Hoops which I guess I dont regret but I haev afeelin Live kills STreet hoops. Anyway for the poeple who have played Live is teh game speed fast as the old NBA Jam game or what? Im the type who likes things realisitc like real life so im hoping for that.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:09 PM   #33
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Broke down and bought the game tonight...wow. Best basketball game I've ever played. The EA Sports control (R3) really is cool.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #34
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, i have returned live to blockbuster and ordered it at ea.com.

FFM, if you play a sim game with fatigue off, the game can be somewhat fast (if you push for fast breaks all the time). i haven't tested it yet, but apparently, if you turn fatigue on, things slow down (obviously), and also I read that if you try arcade mode, it slows down as well.