Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough
Default State of the Spurs

I found this in the Weekend Dime on ESPN.com:

"Why are the Spurs still considered contenders?

They were lucky to beat the Lakers last week -- Roger Mason wasn't fouled and Trevor Ariza didn't travel at the end -- and then they were killed by the Sixers, barely beat the Bulls and are struggling against the Bobcats today.

Seems to me that you "analysts" are too afraid to count out a team that has been successful over the years. All good things must come to an end. I just wish some of these experts would have the stones to say it. You guys seem to be so scared of being wrong sometimes.

The Spurs are a middle-of-the-pack team. Accept it."

Discuss.

MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Spurs are 2nd in the west. They're fine.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

There are precisely four teams in the NBA that can be considered fine at this point. Three of them are in the East, and the fourth one just beat the Spurs yesterday.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

"Middle of the pack" is still light years away from everyone below them.

Afraid to admit that they are old and done? We've been saying that the last 3+ years and every year they prove us wrong. Sorry, i'm not willing to admit it anymore until they fail to make the playoffs at least two consecutive years, otherwise they are still the second best team in the west and arguably the league.

They had a lot of people on this forum fooled when they started out so badly. Not me.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to be the Spurs right now.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

This is the worst edition of the Spurs in the Tim Duncan era IMO.

I think the gap between the Lakers and the rest of the West is extremely large.

Another note, the Spurs have had statistically the EASIEST schedule in the NBA thus far, and are a meager 29-14 with a margin of +2.9. They could easily have 2-3 more losses if not for some lucky shots. They're 2nd on account of the fact that nobody in the West this year is impressive outside of the Lakers.

I think their window is closed, but they still are one of the 2-3 best teams in the West.

They've lost 6 straight @ Staples, I don't see them beating the Lakers in 7.

Everyones window is technically closed though, Lebron is winning the next 3-4 titles.

The Western conference playoffs are probably just a formality. The Lakers won the WEst last year w/o Bynum/Ariza, they're back this year, the Suns/Mavs/Hornets/Spurs have regressed, the Rockets/Jazz are injury riddled, Blazers are too soft/young, and Nuggets best player is a playoff underachieving loser, who is seriously gonna beat the Lakers in the West?
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The Spurs are gonna win it all again if you guys keep talking like this before the All-Star break...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-26-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

They need another big IMO to combat the Lakers. matt frickin Bonner in the starting lineup is a joke.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Spurs are fine but will need to find another big man to compete with the Lakers. And Boston or Cleveland should they get past the Lakers and to the finals.

Big men are not exactly laying around but I suspect they make a small trade near the deadline. It won't be anyone you expect but they will contribute. The Spurs always pull this kind of thing off. And they always prove the doubters wrong.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The Spurs are gonna win it all again if you guys keep talking like this before the All-Star break...
This same thing happens every other year.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Spurs are kinda interesting this year. They go out and get a shooter in Roger Mason... to go with another shooter Matt Bonner..... and now they sign Croshere (another supposed shooter) to another 10 day contract. Oh, and don't forget Finley, another shooter. All of this activity and then we hear Popovich complain (a couple of days ago) that the players are playing pathetic defense. Hmmmmm.... I wonder why.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #12
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Odd year = Spurs ftw
Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough

See, I don't see the Spurs being able to win or even compete in a 7 game series against L.A., Cleveland, Orlando or Boston - and I think that New Orleans and a healthy Houston could make a stab at stealing a 7 game series against them...

I don't think that they're a contender this year at all.

MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one not buying into the Orlando hype?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Spurs are kinda interesting this year. They go out and get a shooter in Roger Mason... to go with another shooter Matt Bonner..... and now they sign Croshere (another supposed shooter) to another 10 day contract. Oh, and don't forget Finley, another shooter. All of this activity and then we hear Popovich complain (a couple of days ago) that the players are playing pathetic defense. Hmmmmm.... I wonder why.
It is strange. Pop has gone for more offensive minded players this year than he has in previous years. He's also limiting Bowen's minutes a lot. It goes beyond wanting to have him rested for the playoffs imo.

The defense hasn't been that bad considering the starting lineup. It's just not the Spurs defense we've seen before.

EDIT: The Spurs didn't sign Austin Croshere to another 10 day contract as expected. The Spurs must be looking at someone else then.

Last edited by MavsFanFinley; 01-27-2009 at 11:20 AM.
MavsFanFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Spurs Fan

Spurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the roughSpurs Fan is a jewel in the rough

It hasn't been peaches and cream in Spursland so far, but I'm not counting them out yet. I think all Spurs fans realize that we need an athletic big to really compete, but I don't know who (if anybody) is on the radar.

I do know that if history is an indicator, this is the time of year that we come together as a team, and start to play our best ball of the year. Time will tell if that holds true this year.

I'm still optimistic.
Spurs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
ghazi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Am I the only one not buying into the Orlando hype?
That hype has been silenced a little after losses to the Celtics/Heat. I don't think they can win a title but outside of LA/Boston/Cleveland nobody has has played better than them.

At the end of the day I think they're overreliant on the 3-PT shot and Dwight's offensive game is too raw. They'll lose if/when they run into the Cavs/Celtics.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I see people have fallen for the trap lol. I will never right the Spurs off again. Especially when they have Three of the most dominant players in the league and one of the best coaches to ever coach in this league. Especially in the odd year. And don't they always go on a run to get into the playoffs? Around the all star break? Seems a bit premature to write them off.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #19
ghazi
Platinum Member

I only write them off because they seem inable to beat the Lakers. For all of Pop and and the big 3's greatness they have always had trouble v the Lakers in the playoffs, have lost 6 straight at Staples and 2-3 of them have been in blowout fashion.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I'm surprised Pop waved the white flag in the last Laker game. I think they were only down 13 at the start of the 4th quarter yet he had the big 3 on the bench.

If only Bonner and Mason hit half the open shots they took.