Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #361
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

So umm we drafted a senior QB from a terrible Aggie team that was benched in favor of a Freshman QB. Really?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #362
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Draft-Day Dozen
After None On First Day, Boys' Make 12 Picks

link

IRVING, Texas - The second day of the draft has been much more active for the Cowboys as we all expected.

With no picks in the first day, the Cowboys have taken six players in third, fourth and early part of the fifth round, along with two other trades.

Their first pick of the draft was Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams, who has played safety early in his career and ran a 4.4 during his last workout.

Williams (6-1, 241) played a hybrid linebacker spot in college against Division-IA competition. With the Cowboys, it's likely he'll be playing in the inside of the 3-4 defense, probably competing with Bobby Carpenter for a spot as the dime backer.

Williams could be the replacement for Kevin Burnett, who signed with the Chargers in free agency.

Later in the third round, the Cowboys drafted Ball State offensive lineman Robert Brewster, who played tackle in college but could end up as a guard.

Brewster has some ideal versatility for a lineman, having played both tackle and guard in college. His last two years, Brewster played tackle in a spread offense where he was rarely asked to block from a three-point stance.

With the Cowboys having the starting tackles set in Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo, Brewster will probably be competing with guys such as Doug Free and Pat McQuistan.

But the headline pick so far is Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee, just the fourth quarterback drafted by the Cowboys in 20 years and the first since Quincy Carter in 2001.

McGee has a strong arm but ran a run-oriented offense that allowed him to showcase his running abilities. The Cowboys have hinted they might take a quarterback who could possibly run the Wildcat offense and McGee has experience with that.

McGee played at Burnett High School in Texas and said he dreamed of playing for the Cowboys, wearing the uniform as a kid. He reunites with Martellus Bennett, a college teammate at A&M.

Later in the fourth round, the Cowboys selected Oregon State pass rusher Victor Butler, a college defensive end who will likely play outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme.

With another fourth-round pick, the Cowboys picked Texas Tech outside linebacker Brandon Williams, who led the Big XII in sacks last season with 11 and then traded back into the fifth round to grab Cincinnati cornerback DeAngelo Smith, who has some return capabilities and could even play some safety.

The Cowboys finally picked a safety near the end of the fifth round when they take Clemson safety Michael Hamlin, who joins veteran Ken Hamlin in the secondary. While the two are not related, they could eventually be the two starters in the defensive backfield.

At the end of the fifth round, the Cowboys drafted Southern Cal place-kicker David Buehler (6-2, 219). He's got a huge leg that could likely handle all the kickoff duties and possibly long field goal attempts, if needed. While Nick Folk has been very accurate on field goals, he did not have a touchback at all last season.

In the sixth round, the Cowboys drafted TCU linebacker Stephen Hodge, who could play some strong safety. The former high school quarterback has played both safety and linebacker in college. Hodge should be able to contribute on special teams right away.

Later in the round, the Cowboys took Virginia tight end John Phillips, who could easily fill into the third tight end role, competing with Rodney Hannah.

After Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett, the team could use a solid blocker and Phillips fits the mold.

In the final round, the Cowboys rounded out the draft with another Cincinnati cornerback Mike Mickens, who was once a middle-round projection before suffering a pair of injuries. Mickens and Smith were the two Bearcats cornerbacks last season.

The final pick included Oklahoma wide receiver Manuel Johnson, who had 24 career starts. Johnson caught 42 passes and nine touchdowns last season for the Sooners. Johnson is the only receiver or running back drafted by the Cowboys this year.

Fourth-Round Pair Bring Defensive Depth

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys management is making sure the league's best pass-rushing team remains a threat in the future.

Dallas, which led the NFL with 59 sacks in 2008, used three of its first five picks Sunday on front seven defensive players, including two fourth-round selections on hybrid defensive end/linebacker combos.

The Cowboys selected Oregon State University's Victor Butler with the 10th pick in the fourth round (No. 110 overall) and picked up Texas Tech University's Brandon Williams, the Big 12 Conference sack leader, with the 20th selection in the fourth.

The players likely were brought in to add depth to a talented, yet depleted, defensive line. Marcus Spears, Greg Ellis, Stephen Bowen, Jason Hatcher and Igor Olshansky all have playing experience. However, Ellis has only one year remaining on his contract, and Spears is the only other player to start a NFL game.

Butler and Williams both figure to play mostly on special teams in their rookie seasons as they adjust to the Cowboys' system.

"All my life [I've played special teams]," said Butler, who joked that he'd play long snapper if asked.

Butler has proven his versatility throughout high school and college. He was a wide receiver at Eisenhower High School (Rialto, Calif.), and he said that he received Division I offers to catch passes on offense.

But he said Oregon State was the only school that offered him a scholarship to harass quarterbacks. He started playing defensive end his senior year of high school and finally broke out with 65 tackles and 12 sacks as a senior at Oregon State.

He concluded his career with four sacks in the Brut Sun Bowl against the Pittsburgh Panthers and was a first-team All-Pac 10 selection.

Speculation is that Butler will switch to outside linebacker in head coach Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme.

"I don't think [the transition] will be very hard," said Butler. "I'll perfect my craft so I'm best at it."

Williams, a Ft. Worth native, will be at home in the Cowboys' scheme as well.

The 6'5", 252-pound speed rusher made life miserable for Big 12 quarterbacks, despite the fact that he faced some of the nation's best offensive linemen.

Williams ran a slow 40-yard dash (5.0 seconds) at the combine due to a freak cooking accident. He sliced his finger while cutting chicken, which made it painful for him to come out of his stance. Williams said that probably hurt his draft stock, but he still was happy to be a Cowboy.

"I really am [excited]," said Williams. "I wish I could've gone earlier in the draft, but I feel good. It was God's will for me either way, so that's what I did."

Williams, who played in the shadow of the Red Raiders' prolific offense in college, is excited to suit up for Phillips, a defensive-minded coach.

"I feel like he could . . . make me into one of the top pass rushers," said Williams.

Williams and Butler begin their NFL careers Friday when they report to the team's minicamp in Valley Ranch.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-26-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #363
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone? Anyone?

I don't trust this kid any further than I can throw him.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #364
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

McGee was apparently a late riser... I suppose he must have looked great at the combine. I know he was a BIG recruit out of high school but A&M decided to make him an option QB which wasn't his strength. And yeah, he was benched, but that was to be expected when you have a new coach playing for the future. A senior QB getting all the snaps doesn't do much to help a young QB develop for next year.

As for the kicker they drafted..well, if they are really willing to keep just a kick off guy, then it's a great pick. Did anyone else hear that the guy actually did more reps than some of the offensive lineman at the combine on bench? He also runs something like a 4.5-4.6 forty.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #365
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
So umm we drafted a senior QB from a terrible Aggie team that was benched in favor of a Freshman QB. Really?
he was injured most of last season, fwiw.

as for my overall thoughts on the draft, they are few.

a) should've gotten Rashad Johnson with pick 75. he's going to be a stud I think.

b) obviously geared to special teams this year. not a bad thing at all. if one or two of these picks can perform like scandrick did last year, this draft will be considered a success.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #366
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i guess you're right. The last few years, special teams have been a real burden on our defense. They have just plain sucked.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #367
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Anti-climatic draft.

nothing to see here guys

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #368
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i think the williams kid...the ILB, is gonna be pretty good. and i don't really know why Mike Mickens fell into the 7th round.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #369
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what people were realistically expecting to get out of a weak draft when all the Cowboys' needs are already met by NFL-seasoned players, but I'm fairly intrigued by some of our picks... Not that we had a killer draft or anything, but we definitely chose a few projects who could blossom into something interesting (lots of hybrid players) and we shored-up our one glaring weakness from last season - special teams...

Sure, we didn't get any "DeMarcus Ware/Felix Jones" types, but we probably picked up a "Marcus Spears/Tashard Choice" or two (it's hard to pay another "DeMarcus Ware" when you're trying to extend the actual DeMarcus Ware's contract...)

I wouldn't be surprised if 4-6 of these guys made the squad (at the expense of some "Bobby Carpenter" types) - there's always bound to be some diamonds in the rough when you take 12 picks...

Oh, and for all the Stephen McGee haters - just remember that the Cowboys were supposed to be Drew Henson's franchise until Dallas picked up some scrub off the scrapheap named Tony Romo... You never know who's going to stick in this league (not that there isn't greater potential to be a bust, but that's why we love the NFL, isn't it?)

Last edited by Underdog; 04-27-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #370
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't know what people were realistically expecting to get out of a weak draft when all the Cowboys' needs are already met by NFL-seasoned players
Safety?

Wide Receiver?

The idea that the Cowboys don't have needs is...odd.

Using the first pick of the fourth round to draft a third QB is something a legitimate super bowl contender does, imo. Which makes sense because I think that's how Jerry views the team. But it hasn't show itself to be that yet.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #371
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Safety?

Wide Receiver?

Oh, we have needs, but not the type that an untested rookie can fulfill (cougars hunt young studs, but they don't want virgins - dig?)

I still think we're going to make a couple more moves before the season starts... Probably nothing huge, but I expect us to bring in a few vets to fill out the roster...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #372
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Safety?

Wide Receiver?

Using the first pick of the fourth round to draft a third QB is something a legitimate super bowl contender does, imo. Which makes sense because I think that's how Jerry views the team. But it hasn't show itself to be that yet.
Safety? -- they have Sensabaugh and Hamlin signed for this next year. Watkins and Ball either to finally make it or not, and drafted two.

WR? -- they have RW, Crayton, Austin, Hurd all of which are servicable, and a decision on Stanback and two very good TE's, and they are suppose to be going to a more run oriented attack. Still they drafted a TE and a WR late.

Yes, they have needs, but the needs are not pressing needs, but backup needs.

3rd string QB to develop, IMO, is wonderful pick. If he doesn't develop like Romo did, then you only used a 4th on him in a weak draft.

They put together pass rushers and special teams.

This draft should help this team, if not this year, the next year quite a bit.

<edit>
Let me rephrase what I am trying to say. I think they drafted indians this draft, instead of trying to draft more chiefs. I think they wanted lunch pail guys instead of caviar ones.

While the others are more flashy........I don't think that talent is the issue with the Cowboys, but getting those hard workers that don't think they are stars.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 04-27-2009 at 12:56 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #373
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Safety? -- they have Sensabaugh and Hamlin signed for this next year. Watkins and Ball either to finally make it or not, and drafted two.

WR? -- they have RW, Crayton, Austin, Hurd all of which are servicable, and a decision on Stanback and two very good TE's, and they are suppose to be going to a more run oriented attack. Still they drafted a TE and a WR late.

Yes, they have needs, but the needs are not pressing needs, but backup needs.

3rd string QB to develop, IMO, is wonderful pick. If he doesn't develop like Romo did, then you only used a 4th on him in a weak draft.

They put together pass rushers and special teams.

This draft should help this team, if not this year, the next year quite a bit.

<edit>
Let me rephrase what I am trying to say. I think they drafted indians this draft, instead of trying to draft more chiefs. I think they wanted lunch pail guys instead of caviar ones.

While the others are more flashy........I don't think that talent is the issue with the Cowboys, but getting those hard workers that don't think they are stars.
I probably should have broken my response into two parts. Underdogs assertion that all of our starting spots were taken by "NFL-seasoned players" I suppose is technically true. But we certainly don't have veterans at safety and Wide Receiver that make me think "that position is solid, no worries". That was my point. If Miles Austin stays healthy I may very well feel that way next off season, but not now.

As to the QB thing....man, I really disagree. And I love McGee. But the first pick of the fourth round is not some throwaway pick, and to use it on a third string QB when you are squarely in the prim of your backup QB...I don't like it at all. If it's a 6th or 7th round pick I'm on board, but no the first pick of the fourth round.

And did we really draft a kicker? Is he competing to stay on as a kickoff specialist? Otherwise...?????

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-27-2009 at 01:11 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #374
Underdog

Quote:
Underdogs assertion that all of our starting spots were taken by "NFL-seasoned players" I suppose is technically true. But we certainly don't have veterans at safety and Wide Receiver that make me think "that position is solid, no worries".
I agree with you - I just think we're going to address those needs with veterans, not rookies...

(and there's always the chance that Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton have record seasons or that Miles Austin blows up on the league...)

EDIT: but then again - contenders don't bank on "chance"...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #375
Underdog

Also, I don't get the worries at safety...

2008 Tackles
Anthony Henry - 50
Gerald Sensabaugh - 70

2008 Interceptions
Dallas Cowboys - 8
Gerald Sensabaugh - 4

We've gotten better at the position and we still have Ken Hamlin...

Sure, we could use some depth, but our starters are better than they've been in years...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-27-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #376
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

As a Longhorn, I disliked playing against the McGee-led Aggies. On that alone, I am intrigued with the pick. Plus, I do believe that A&M misused McGee's talents, so he could turn out to be something good for us.

Edit: did anyone get my Bueller reference?

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 04-27-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #377
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also, I don't get the worries at safety...

2008 Tackles
Anthony Henry - 50
Gerald Sensabaugh - 70

2008 Interceptions
Dallas Cowboys - 8
Gerald Sensabaugh - 4

We've gotten better at the position and we still have Ken Hamlin...

Sure, we could use some depth, but our starters are better than they've been in years...
anthony henry wasn't a safety. roy williams/keith davis/pat watkins/tra battle were the strong safeties last year. safety play was bad last year. it just was. some say that's because hamlin didn't have good chemistry with a rotating cast at the other spot. i tend to think hamlin got paid and didn't play as hard. we'll see, i guess.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #378
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As to the QB thing....man, I really disagree. And I love McGee. But the first pick of the fourth round is not some throwaway pick, and to use it on a third string QB when you are squarely in the prim of your backup QB...I don't like it at all. If it's a 6th or 7th round pick I'm on board, but no the first pick of the fourth round.
Yes, but finding talent in the 7th round is not near as easy as the fourth round. I am not saying that McGee is anywhere near ready to run a NFL team. I do not think Dallas was looking for someone ready, just someone to groom -- and it took a 4th to get him. He has the size, arm strength, and mobility. Will he be able to develop the mental part of it? Who knows, because that mental part is the biggest downfall of most QB's. Example: Michael Vick and Jeff George who were both exceptionally talented physically, but never could put it together mentally. Vince Young is another one that if he can get the mental down, can be awesome.... BUT

Quote:
And did we really draft a kicker? Is he competing to stay on as a kickoff specialist? Otherwise...?????
I think they had too many picks and he was the next on the board. They drafted him in case Folk wants more money here shortly. If he has a stronger leg, and can develop, they keep him. If not............

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #379
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree with you - I just think we're going to address those needs with veterans, not rookies...

(and there's always the chance that Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton have record seasons or that Miles Austin blows up on the league...)

EDIT: but then again - contenders don't bank on "chance"...
I agree with both of you as well, except I don't understand what else was needed.

At Safety they still have Hamlin, added Sensabaugh. They then drafted a couple of players. This besides the ones added in the past.

At WR, they don't need a #1 because RW has to be that player (possession receiver) period. They have two TE's that are going to get catches. They supposedly will be running more and getting the ball more into Felix hands. They need a Alvin Harper type, and they have that in Austin (big and speedy) who will get 40 catches, not 100.

More top talent players don't work, if you don't have the grunt guys to get the job done. They needed solid players who would bust their backsides and not need to be the star, IMO -- and that is what Dallas drafted. Just pack their own lunch type of players.

Was a lack of talent the reason Dallas missed the playoffs last year? Did they lack the big names and big stars?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #380
mkat
Platinum Member

i'd say the revolving door at the SS position was one of the reasons they missed the playoffs, yes. they have a talent black hole there. people underrate the safety position. the cowboys will continue to have trouble there until they get a guy who is competent enough to play the position.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #381
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Should've drafted a new girlfriend for Tony Romo.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #382
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Should've drafted a new girlfriend for Tony Romo.
QFT

Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #383
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

damn you guys. shes hot now man
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #384
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I know that not too many of you will join me in this thought....

but, here is to hoping the Cowboys still have at least a decade or so of heartbreaking disappointing seasons!

cheers
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #385
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
The Cowboys have taken a carpet-bombing approach to certain positions in recent drafts. In '07, Dallas targeted offensive line, picking James Marten in the 3rd and Doug Free in the 4th.

Last year, the team went after cornerbacks and running backs, taking Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick for the secondary and Felix Jones and Tashard Choice for the backfield.

This year, Dallas lived up to Jerry Jones' pre-draft predictions and spend multiple picks to rebuild the linebacking corps. It then spent heavily in the later rounds to give new special teams coach Joe DeCamillis a complete overhaul of special teams coverage units which have underachieved for the last several years, for Bruce DeHaven and Bruce Read.
Good write up by Rafael Vela over at bloggingtheboys.com - great site with good articles and discussion on everything Cowboys. overall impression is that without a top pick and with top targets that went off the board before them, the Boys decided to draft for value and best player on their board rather than reaching to draft for need.

The kicker they picked is interesting - if you read up on his measurables, the guy's built like a linebacker/safety and has like 4.6 speed and put up 20+ reps. apparently he can play special teams beyond just being a kickoff specialist, like covering punts, etc. talk about your special teams ace. Maybe Bill Bates with a big leg to handle kickoffs?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...09-linebackers
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #386
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Good write up by Rafael Vela over at bloggingtheboys.com - great site with good articles and discussion on everything Cowboys. overall impression is that without a top pick and with top targets that went off the board before them, the Boys decided to draft for value and best player on their board rather than reaching to draft for need.

The kicker they picked is interesting - if you read up on his measurables, the guy's built like a linebacker/safety and has like 4.6 speed and put up 20+ reps. apparently he can play special teams beyond just being a kickoff specialist, like covering punts, etc. talk about your special teams ace. Maybe Bill Bates with a big leg to handle kickoffs?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...09-linebackers

thanks for the link
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #387
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

saying we "still have Ken Hamlin" is not that reassuring to me.
1. have we even re-signed Miles Austin yet? I know he was talking to other teams.
2. Reciever and safety were two positions we needed to add depth and quality in and we didn't.

I would give the draft for the Cowboys a C-

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #388
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Yes i believe we have resigned Miles Austin.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #389
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Happened just 4 days ago.

Cowboys sign 3 free agents, including WR Austin

IRVING, Texas (AP) — The Dallas Cowboys have signed their final three free agents: receiver Miles Austin, running back Alonzo Coleman and tight end Rodney Hannah.

The signings Thursday meant Austin, a restricted free agent, would return to Dallas after being courted by the New York Jets. The Jets never made an offer.

Austin signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2006 and had a 93-yard kickoff return for a touchdown as a rookie. He was expected to play a bigger role as a receiver last year, but injuries limited him to 13 catches for 278 yards and three touchdowns.

Coleman and Hannah have spent the majority of the past two seasons on the practice squad after signing as undrafted rookie free agents.

Link
Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #390
TheMaverick
Golden Member

Okay good. If that kid can stay healthy, we may have a legit #2 guy.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #391
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I think giving them a C- might be a little rough. As I have read, you have to include Roy Williams into this draft class since he was the reason all our sexy picks were gone. Add getting a legit #1 WR and i think its a pretty good draft.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #392
TheMaverick
Golden Member

Then as of right now, it's an F until further notice.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #393
mkat
Platinum Member

grading a draft is premature. give it two years.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #394
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Check out our new kick-off specialist... the kicker who bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times in the combine. He seems quite excited to be a Cowboy.

Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #395
MavsX
Diamond Member

i wanna get a mini horse
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #396
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

what... your inflatable sheep wasn't good enough?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #397
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
saying we "still have Ken Hamlin" is not that reassuring to me.
1. have we even re-signed Miles Austin yet? I know he was talking to other teams.
2. Reciever and safety were two positions we needed to add depth and quality in and we didn't.

I would give the draft for the Cowboys a C-
They used their 1st rounder on Roy Williams. Everyone wants to discredit that but its fact. They got Roy Williams who'd i'd like to think is better than any player they could've received in the 1st round.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #398
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
what... your inflatable sheep wasn't good enough?

damn you
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #399
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Oh God...

Quote:
(CNN) -- An air-supported canopy over the Dallas Cowboys' practice field collapsed during a heavy thunderstorm Saturday afternoon, leaving one person critically injured and six others hurt, firefighters said.

As many as 80 people may have been inside the facility when it was blown down shortly before 3:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. ET), said Mike Adams, a dispatcher for the Irving, Texas, fire department. Rescuers were continuing to comb through the wreckage beneath the fallen canopy, but, "Everyone as far as we know is accounted for," Adams said.

Video from CNN affiliate WFAA showed the canopy caving in during a heavy storm, sending players, coaches and a handful of reporters and photographers scrambling to escape.

WFAA-TV photojournalist Arnold Payne, who was on the sidelines of the indoor practice field when the collapse occurred, said the wind "just started shaking the sides of this big huge plastic practice tent."

"The lights started swinging from the ceiling, and just like that ? the thing just started collapsing," Payne said. "They could hear people under there screaming; I could see two or three people injured."

Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones told NBC that about 27 rookies from the NFL team and members of the team's coaching staff were inside the suburban Dallas facility at the time.

"They did not get good warning there, and the structure did collapse," Jones said, speaking from the Kentucky Derby in Louisville. "We're assessing who's injured at this particular time."
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/02/cow...pse/index.html

Is this ghost ball??
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #400
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

From the various sources I've read:

*No players were injured.

*12 people hospitalized, 10 taken by ambulance, 2 walk in patients.

*None of the hospitalizations were life threatening, however, a couple were serious.

*Joe DeCamillis, Special Teams coach, was taken away with a neck brace. However, he was talking and moving.

*A 33 male had a puncture wound (what I read was extremely vague).

*Not surprisingly, the next rookie practice has been canceled.

God, I pray that everyone will be okay. What a freak occurrence. I'm glad no players are injured, but I do pray that everyone is okay. Coaches, assistants, media, trainers, everyone.

Last edited by tcat075; 05-02-2009 at 07:42 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
!peppers != 19-0, holy neck, not even participants, peppers = 19-0, villareal, we win super balls now?, what is a charger?