Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #361
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Here's the question.. do you put one in his ribs when the Rangers play the Phils?
Is there really a question?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #362
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Male29Dan;1135973]Maybe the best option is to stay with the plan that led us to this point. Take a step back to take two steps forward. Use the money we could have spent this year for next year and hope guys internally can step it up.[QUOTE]

I think so. The approach to this season shouldn't hinge on last year's results. Stack your farm system with talent and see who rises to the top. Maybe in a few years we can have a San Fran Giants or Oakland A's type rotation...
Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #363
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=alexamenos;1135989][quote=Male29Dan;1135973]Maybe the best option is to stay with the plan that led us to this point. Take a step back to take two steps forward. Use the money we could have spent this year for next year and hope guys internally can step it up.
Quote:

I think so. The approach to this season shouldn't hinge on last year's results. Stack your farm system with talent and see who rises to the top. Maybe in a few years we can have a San Fran Giants or Oakland A's type rotation...
I think they have to stick with the game plan. They can't go for broke acting like they're the Yankees or Red Sox and trying to spend their way into annual contention.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #364
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
I think they have to stick with the game plan. They can't go for broke acting like they're the Yankees or Red Sox and trying to spend their way into annual contention.
Yeah...how would we feel right now if Lee had lost Game 1 to the TB Rays and the Rangers never got out of the first round? We'd probably feel like the Rangers are on a damn good course and hope they continue right along that course rather than sink 25-30% of the budget into one 30-something arm.

Yeah the Rangers would never have made it to the Series had they not traded for Lee, but they never would have been in a position to make the deal for Lee had they spent the last several years going for broke acting like the Yankees or Red Sox.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #365
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here's the question.. do you put one in his ribs when the Rangers play the Phils in the World Series?
Fixed.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #366
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Yeah...how would we feel right now if Lee had lost Game 1 to the TB Rays and the Rangers never got out of the first round? We'd probably feel like the Rangers are on a damn good course and hope they continue right along that course rather than sink 25-30% of the budget into one 30-something arm.

Yeah the Rangers would never have made it to the Series had they not traded for Lee, but they never would have been in a position to make the deal for Lee had they spent the last several years going for broke acting like the Yankees or Red Sox.
Well said.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #367
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Regarding Sike's contention, I disagree completely about both our competitiveness in the series and that 1-2 more wins would have meant anything else. Not to stir that up again - but just felt the need to add my 2c.
Now that the other shoe has dropped regarding the contract info, its pretty clear that money always talks.

Lee is in it for Lee...which is neither dishonorable nor honorable. Its just the reality of modern sports.

And I do NOT wish him any success. What are you guys thinking?? Sure, he owes the Rangers nothing, and now because he has refused the Rangers, he is the enemy. You don't stay friends with the guy who breaks your sister's heart.

As far as your opinion about the World Series's competitiveness...I expect that opinion from you.

And on the potential difference that losing in 7 instead of 5 could/would have had on Lee, that is pure speculation on all sides, and on issues of such a speculative nature, I'm willing to bet on my own insight into human nature. So there we can simply disagree...or "disagree completely".

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 12-14-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: to add the word "sure"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #368
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you guys heard it this morning, but Uncle Norm talked about how the Royals think our best prospects are too far away right now (Could be just posturing?)...and he said that Tanner Sheppers was abysmal in second half at triple A last year (And has a history of injury).

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 12-14-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #369
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
We'd probably feel like the Rangers are on a damn good course and hope they continue right along that course rather than sink 25-30% of the budget into one 30-something arm.
In his defense, its a pretty nice arm. But I agree completely. That much money/years to a middle to late/ish prime pitcher makes me very nervous.

I would much rather bet on multiple younger guys filling multiple holes...

Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #370
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I'm not sure if you guys heard it this morning, but Uncle Norm talked about how the Royals think our best prospects are too far away right now (Could be just posturing?)...and he said that Tanner Sheppers was abysmal in second half at triple A last year (And has a history of injury).
I would assume he meant that our best position prospects are too far away. And he's right.

Scheppers ran out of gas last year, but it was his first year in the minors. He's still a very strong bullpen prospect. But he does have an arm that people expect to blow up at some point. That's very true.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #371
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to lean towards it being posturing by KC..
Kirkman isn't far away
Holland isn't far away
Scheppers even with a struggle last half of the season isn't far away.
Beltre isn't far away.
Moreland obviously isn't far away.
Perez is having some success at AA.. he isn't far away
Ogando has arrived and appears to have a special arm.

Trust me, teams such as KC don't look just at guys that are "prospects". They look guys that are already experiencing some success at the major league level such as Moreland, Ogando, and Holland. They want young and cheap talent.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #372
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So now there's confirmation from Greenberg and Daniels that had the Rangers guaranteed the seventh year, Lee would have signed here.

So clearly there's a mixture of money and comfort and winning all going together in his decision here.

And I don't agree with the sudden characterization that he was just in it for the money. He still left money on the table from the Yankees.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #373
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'd have to lean towards it being posturing by KC..
Kirkman isn't far away
Holland isn't far away
Scheppers even with a struggle last half of the season isn't far away.
Beltre isn't far away.
Moreland obviously isn't far away.
Perez is having some success at AA.. he isn't far away
Ogando has arrived and appears to have a special arm.

Trust me, teams such as KC don't look just at guys that are "prospects". They look guys that are already experiencing some success at the major league level such as Moreland, Ogando, and Holland. They want young and cheap talent.
They want guys that are going to arrive in tandem with their current awesome farm system. So late this year and early next year, I would imagine. We definitely have the pitching to match that, but that's not their area of need.

We don't have any elite position prospects scheduled to get here during that window. Beltre just hit AA. He's at least two years away unless he really accelerates. Our best position prospect is a teenager.

It's certainly possible that they're just posturing but their need for position players (specifically up the middle) makes sense. I'm not sure we're a great fit for them.

FWIW, a couple hours ago a national writer tweeted that the Rangers made a strong run at Garza last night but the deal fell apart.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #374
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as your opinion about the World Series's competitiveness...I expect that opinion from you.
You are starting to come off like the 47 year old being laughed at by Foxworthy while trying to remember answers to questions you haven't heard in ages. Let the 5th graders play please...

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #375
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
FWIW, a couple hours ago a national writer tweeted that the Rangers made a strong run at Garza last night but the deal fell apart.
I would LOVE to know what we were offering...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #376
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
You are starting to come off like the 47 year old being laughed at by Foxworthy while trying to remember answers to questions you haven't heard in ages. Let the 5th graders play please...

A Jeff Foxworthy game show reference? Good one. Maybe go back to the camel toe jokes.

Or else add more than an off-handed $.02 to an existing conversation.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #377
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
So clearly there's a mixture of money and comfort and winning all going together in his decision here.
Agreed. He did what he thought was best for the Cliff Lee...nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #378
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

So, once a deal falls apart, are they usually dead or are they just as likely reworked?

Last edited by sike; 12-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #379
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes dead..sometimes reworked.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #380
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Sometimes dead..sometimes reworked.
Ask generic question....

Old 12-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #381
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

God I hate Garza. Remember his temper tantrum escapades a few years back? Haven't heard of him being like that since. However, now that Lee is gone, I must say that I'm warming up to getting him if we can.

Last edited by muzak; 12-14-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I can't spell
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #382
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
God I hate Garza. Remember his temper tantrum escapades a few year back? Haven't heard of him being like that since. However, now that Lee is gone, I must say that I'm warming up to getting him if we can.
Woah, this post took a sudden turn I wasn't expecting.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #383
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Well, you know...I can be persuaded. I once hated Tyson Chandler too.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #384
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago? Didn't Garza have a mini-meltdown in the ALDS?

I'd take him.. I think the Rangers have a strong enough clubhouse / culture vibe that one hot headed dude isn't too terrible. Although CJ already stresses me out with his unique form of knuckleheadedness as it is.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #385
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
A Jeff Foxworthy game show reference? Good one. Maybe go back to the camel toe jokes.

Or else add more than an off-handed $.02 to an existing conversation.
Hey bro, loosen up. It's not my fault you continue to stick to your guns despite the artillery being nothing more than cork:

Last edited by Male30Dan; 12-14-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #386
muzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
A few years ago? Didn't Garza have a mini-meltdown in the ALDS?

I'd take him.. I think the Rangers have a strong enough clubhouse / culture vibe that one hot headed dude isn't too terrible. Although CJ already stresses me out with his unique form of knuckleheadedness as it is.
I seem to recall some complaining from the dugout, but not much more. Perhaps I'm just not remembering. I do have a pretty terrible memory. I don't mind emotion at all. Grown adults, on the other hand, throwing gloves and pouting like a little leaguer is a little strange and off-putting. You are def right about the strength of the clubhouse. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Although, he does spit an awful lot on the mound, LOL. It always grosses me out.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #387
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

From the "we already assumed as much" category...

Link...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #388
sike
The Preacha

Substantive.

Quote:
Hey bro, loosen up. It's not my fault you continue to stick to your guns despite the artillery being nothing more than cork

Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #389
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
I don't mind emotion at all. Grown adults, on the other hand, throwing gloves and pouting like a little leaguer is a little strange and off-putting.
Agreed, though I will take passion over goofy any day.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #390
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Substantive.
Likewise useful... I actually had to spread reputation there.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #391
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

So, what are the odds that we get Beltre? 3-1? 5-1? Is it incredibly likely that we pursue him hard and we are more like 50-50?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #392
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I don't think we're going to pursue him that hard, personally.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #393
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
So, what are the odds that we get Beltre? 3-1? 5-1? Is it incredibly likely that we pursue him hard and we are more like 50-50?
How much does is depending on moving Young?

I really hope they go after Beltre hotly...if they can keep the deal at all reasonable for the talent...I'm down.

That guy is good news.

Unless you think last year was a fluke.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #394
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I don't think we're going to pursue him that hard, personally.
Bc of talent not matching the $ required, bc of Young, or just lack of interest?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #395
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Bc of talent not matching the $ required, bc of Young, or just lack of interest?
More than anything I just think they're going to consider his contract too much. Last year was almost certainly an offensive outlier. For his career he's basically Mike Young at the plate with a much better glove. Which would be very, very valuable, but he's on the wrong side of thirty and is almost certainly going to get a gigantic contract.

I won't be shocked if they sign him, but I've read enough notes from people I trust that I now think they're not interested in giving him a mega deal.

And yes, I don't think moving Young is a small thing either. I don't think they'd ask him to learn a new position, but I also know that Young wouldn't be thrilled at DH.

I bet they focus on the trade market.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 12-14-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #396
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I don't think they'd ask him to learn a new position, but I also know that Young wouldn't be thrilled at DH.

I bet they focus on the trade market.
I bet they would also like to move that Young contract...ugh.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #397
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about an ultimate utility infielder -- Mike Young could be it, and DH when not needed in the field. Mgmt needs to sell him on this.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #398
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Talk about an ultimate utility infielder -- Mike Young could be it, and DH when not needed in the field. Mgmt needs to sell him on this.
With all the moves they've asked him to make already...I wouldn't be shocked if they told him 3b would be the last.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #399
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With all the moves they've asked him to make already...I wouldn't be shocked if they told him 3b would be the last.
I am guessing they did. The move among many got them to the Series.

Next move MY still gets paid, but he plays every infield position and DH. I mean 1st is probably the least taxing of all the infield positions, and he has been gold gloved at 2nd and SS, he can play 3 -- and although he had a down year, he still hits pretty well for avg.

Talk about not losing much to switch out a player.....MY could be the utility infielder that would allow basically any moves needed during a game, and could still DH as well.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #400
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I am guessing they did. The move among many got them to the Series.

Next move MY still gets paid, but he plays every infield position and DH. I mean 1st is probably the least taxing of all the infield positions, and he has been gold gloved at 2nd and SS, he can play 3 -- and although he had a down year, he still hits pretty well for avg.

Talk about not losing much to switch out a player.....MY could be the utility infielder that would allow basically any moves needed during a game, and could still DH as well.
Young never won a gg at 2b and shouldnt have won one at second. I dont really mind this plan much if andrus and kinsler stay healthy but its important to understand how bad defensively Young would be at the MI spots. Both andrus and Kinsler appear to be +10 defenders at their respective positions(to me though they were both well below that last year) Young is likely a -15 defender at second where his arm cant help make up for his terrible range and a -15 defender at short. So basically you are looking at a gigantic dropoff defensively playing young at either of those positions. Can he play them in a pinch? Sure. Is it pretty much a season damning move if you have to put him out there for more than 20 or so games? YES
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote