Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #361
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
I think this team is better than our 2011 team. . . . . . . . . . who beat the Heat. Mark Cuban thinks this team is better too.
I think this team is more talented than the 2011 team, but there just isn't enough balance (particularly on defense) for me to say that it's better than the best team we've ever had. Punch for punch, I don't think it's better than the 2007 team either, may they rest in peace.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #362
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The more I think about it...

Anything can go awry, but I'm not quite getting those who doubt Rondo and Ellis playing together. The argument is that they're both ball dominant guards, but they are completely different players. Rondo is going to make the plays for Ellis. The guy has no interest in scoring, so he'll gladly give it up as witnessed against SA.

Ellis and Curry didn't work because they are both ball dominant guards who need to score to be effective. THAT I get.

Ellis and Jennings didn't work because Jennings sucks, and Monta had the pressure to carry the load.

Ellis and Rondo may or may not work, but I don't think it has to do with some of the arguments that have been made. As long as Ellis is hitting catch-and-shoot jump shots, then I think it'll be just swell.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #363
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of the (justified) doubts about whether or not Ellis and Rondo can play together has to do with the fact that neither guy is much of a three-point shooter. I think Ellis will probably be a lot better now that he's playing next to a traditional point guard, but I don't have high hopes of him (or, quite frankly, Harris, once he comes back down to earth) being much more than an average 3pt shooter. Maybe that will be good enough.

One observation I'd like to make about Rondo from an objective perspective is that I think I know why he is criticized as a leader as much as he is, and why he hasn't ever really been the linchpin of anything more than a league-average offense. I think it's because he isn't actually a traditional point guard at all. He does have point guard skills such as passing, defending, and getting the ball up the floor, but I don't foresee him as the primary ballhandler very often when Ellis is also on the court. I think Rondo is a great passer even if he maybe isn't a great point guard. And honestly, that might be a more valuable weapon considering the rest of the talent in this lineup. I think it would be smart to sub Rondo out early on in games so he can really use his passing skills to help set guys up in the second unit. It might hinder the productivity of Devin, but if it helps struggling players like Jefferson, Aminu and maybe even Villanueva (if there ever comes a day that he plays something more than absolute garbage minutes), having a guy like Rondo that can create passing lanes and break down defenses might offset any kind of dip in production that Harris might see going forward.

Any thoughts on Rondo the passer vs. Rondo the point guard? I think I'm really onto something/really bored here.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #364
conjurer

conjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to all

Based on what I saw and heard from Rondo so far, I'd say Rondo will be a stud for the Mavs as long he is healthy. Specifically, I can see RC and Rondo working together perfectly.

Last edited by conjurer; 12-21-2014 at 11:27 PM.
conjurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #365
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I think this team is more talented than the 2011 team, but there just isn't enough balance (particularly on defense) for me to say that it's better than the best team we've ever had. Punch for punch, I don't think it's better than the 2007 team either, may they rest in peace.
I think this team will be better than 2011. Here's the big problem. The West is much better than it was in 2011. So if we fail to get a championship, the argument would be that since we failed to get a championship, the other team was better. The reality is that there are more roadblocks. It's impossible to prove.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 12-22-2014 at 12:04 AM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #366
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Intro to Rondo Video
http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/12/...g-rajon-rondo/
Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #367
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think this team is better than our 2011 team. . . . . . . . . . who beat the Heat. Mark Cuban thinks this team is better too.
I think this team outside of dirk is better than 2011 outside of dirk. Unfortunately this dirk isn't close to that dirk
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #368
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I think this team outside of dirk is better than 2011 outside of dirk. Unfortunately this dirk isn't close to that dirk
This, IMO, may be the difference. Who do we go to when we need a basket?

That being said, Monta has been the second best player in clutch time this season behind Dame Lillard. The difference is Monta can't get a shot off at will like Dirk.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #369
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I am SHOCKED to see that so many fans...Mavs fans are not more excited to have Rondo on board.

I am not sure if some have just watched too much negative media surrounding Rondo, but the way some people are reacting is as if Rondo is just an average PG. Rondo is an ALL STAR PG and for some reason he not getting the credit for it...maybe because for he situation in Boston the last 2 years.

I expect Rondos scoring to go up...I mean watching that game against the Spurs, I cant remember the last time I felt that confident watching a Mavs game even though everyone outside of Monta was struggling...Rondo has the same presence out there that Kidd did.....you know when he on the court and 99% of the time, that alone changes the game in the Mavs favor.

Okk ...my rant is over...I guess I was just disappointed to see so many people talk about this trade as if Rondo is Jarret Jack or something.

GOOOO MAVS
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #370
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I am SHOCKED to see that so many fans...Mavs fans are not more excited to have Rondo on board.

I am not sure if some have just watched too much negative media surrounding Rondo, but the way some people are reacting is as if Rondo is just an average PG. Rondo is an ALL STAR PG and for some reason he not getting the credit for it...maybe because for he situation in Boston the last 2 years.

I expect Rondos scoring to go up...I mean watching that game against the Spurs, I cant remember the last time I felt that confident watching a Mavs game even though everyone outside of Monta was struggling...Rondo has the same presence out there that Kidd did.....you know when he on the court and 99% of the time, that alone changes the game in the Mavs favor.

Okk ...my rant is over...I guess I was just disappointed to see so many people talk about this trade as if Rondo is Jarret Jack or something.

GOOOO MAVS
The vast majority of posters here are on board. The few that aren't are just loud & persistent. Welcome to America. =P
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #371
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
You're right, but Dirk didn't have someone as good as Monta in 2011 either. The ball was always in Dirk's hands with 5 seconds left. That's no longer the case. That has been replaced. So basically, Dirk has to be good, but not 2011 Dirk for us to go far. Why? Because Monta took the reigns.

Parsons is kind of like the Terry's replacement (with WAY more upside). Rondo is like Kidd (with many more years in front of him. And not as good at shooting). Chandler is Chandler. The difference is that we have Dirk and Monta now. Even though Dirk isn't as good as he was, he didn't have Monta in 2011.

Harris and Barea do fine off the bench. We just need a good backup center and we are set.

I'm sick of hearing people say "Devin will come back to Earth eventually. He won't be shooting the three well all season". Maybe that's just a part of his game that he's worked on (kind of like Kidd's second stop through here). Maybe we need to start giving Devin props for his 3 point shooting and expect it to stick around.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #372
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I just read through the last several pages of this thread. *Stands to his feet and gives a proud slow clap*

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #373
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sick of hearing people say "Devin will come back to Earth eventually. He won't be shooting the three well all season". Maybe that's just a part of his game that he's worked on (kind of like Kidd's second stop through here). Maybe we need to start giving Devin props for his 3 point shooting and expect it to stick around.
When I heard Dirk say Devin beats him in 3 point shooting contests, and I combine that with his recent performance, I tend to think he's been working hard on it and the work is paying off. Rondo will get him plenty of good looks.

Rondo will be Kidd like, in that he will drive to the basket and look for shooters. But he is still very good at finishing at the rim, and according to Grantland, he was shooting 50% from both elbows before he got hurt. He can't hit a 3 but his 2's from 17 feet are as good as Calderon and better than Dirk's.

I'll bet Carlisle's brain is doing backflips thinking of how he will use Rondo.

This is the most exciting time for me as a Mavs fan since I stood out at Love Field to welcome the champions home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0048 (Small).JPG (74.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #374
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Always been a huge Rondo fan. So underrated. For sports writers to say he's in the bottom half of the league for PG's is laughable. How many quality pass 1st PG's (the best kind always always always) are there in the league? Maybe 5. This guy goes waaaay beyond that.

Here's why true pass first PG's are so valuable -- they pretty much always fit any offense! So, I have zero concerns about how Rondo plays with Ellis, Parsons, Dirk, Chandler, and everyone. If even he can hold his own against West PG's defensively...our starting five is going to crush it. Best in the league? Maybe. We'll see. It is certainly a non-negligible possibility.

See how happy MBT was? Yeah.

I think reading old articles about when his play mattered is the best way to picture what we can expect from him. Even if he's lost a step or 2 (he's still 28, so that is no where near a given), then I still think he will be a Dynamo.

http://deadspin.com/5914537/rajon-ro...you-basketball

"Last night against the Heat, Rajon Rondo put up 44 points, eight rebounds, 10 assists, and three steals while committing just three turnovers. He played every single minute of a game that went into overtime and was undoubtedly the best player on the floor on a night that included five future Hall of Famers. It was some of the best fuck-you basketball you'll ever see, and the fact that it came from maybe the most peculiar great player in the league made it all the more impressive."

OK, so he's on the floor, in a playoff game with Wade, Lebron, KG, Allen, Pierce and he's "undoubtedly the best play or the floor" !!! This is someone I want on my fucking team!

http://deadspin.com/5915502/rajon-ro...cal-last-night

Try to watch all the videos, some do work -- especially the last one in the article is great.

So, Rondo has a temper and can get frustrated when others don't do what they're supposed to. I don't really have a big problem with this. This is why he's called "surly"

Grow up.

How can you not like this: "during his half-time interview, he put the Heat on blast for being cry-babies."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-boston-celtic

Wow...fun stuff

Last edited by joemoeschmoe; 12-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #375
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!
you're no regular joemoeschmoe - GREAT POST +rep
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #376
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
When I heard Dirk say Devin beats him in 3 point shooting contests, and I combine that with his recent performance, I tend to think he's been working hard on it and the work is paying off. Rondo will get him plenty of good looks.

Rondo will be Kidd like, in that he will drive to the basket and look for shooters. But he is still very good at finishing at the rim, and according to Grantland, he was shooting 50% from both elbows before he got hurt. He can't hit a 3 but his 2's from 17 feet are as good as Calderon and better than Dirk's.

I'll bet Carlisle's brain is doing backflips thinking of how he will use Rondo.

This is the most exciting time for me as a Mavs fan since I stood out at Love Field to welcome the champions home.
Rondo takes a position of worry to something you don't need to think about any more, Rondo, 32-36 minutes a night. He will make everyone's job so much easier on the offensive end, rather than Monta catching and creating, Monta, catch and shoots, same with Dirk and Parsons. Defensively you go from Nelson to Rondo.....instant improvement regardless of usage. Whether off the ball or on the ball, Rondo's length will be bothersome.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #377
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think this team will be better than 2011. Here's the big problem. The West is much better than it was in 2011. So if we fail to get a championship, the argument would be that since we failed to get a championship, the other team was better. The reality is that there are more roadblocks. It's impossible to prove.
Rondo, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, Chandler

Barea, Harris, RJ, Aminu, O'Neal
Charlie V, Smith

Kidd, Barea, Marion, Dirk, Chandler

Jet, Stevenson, Brewer, Cardinal, Peja, Wood
Boobs, Jones, Butler

Current team's starting 5 is off the charts. Even given Dirk and Tyson's +3 years in age. I think bench wise, Rondo will lift those who can't create, RJ, Aminu.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #378
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Rondo, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, Chandler

Barea, Harris, RJ, Aminu, O'Neal
Charlie V, Smith

Kidd, Barea, Marion, Dirk, Chandler

Jet, Stevenson, Brewer, Cardinal, Peja, Wood
Boobs, Jones, Butler

Current team's starting 5 is off the charts. Even given Dirk and Tyson's +3 years in age. I think bench wise, Rondo will lift those who can't create, RJ, Aminu.
Yeah, Barea was on our 2011 squad (although I thought Stevenson started too I think) and is now on the bench. Devin started and came off the bench at times in 2006 and also now comes off the bench. Butler was injured the second half of the season and didn't play.

Like I said, I think our current roster should be better. But the West is a lot more difficult this time around.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 12-22-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #379
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I think a lot of the (justified) doubts about whether or not Ellis and Rondo can play together has to do with the fact that neither guy is much of a three-point shooter. I think Ellis will probably be a lot better now that he's playing next to a traditional point guard, but I don't have high hopes of him (or, quite frankly, Harris, once he comes back down to earth) being much more than an average 3pt shooter. Maybe that will be good enough.

One observation I'd like to make about Rondo from an objective perspective is that I think I know why he is criticized as a leader as much as he is, and why he hasn't ever really been the linchpin of anything more than a league-average offense. I think it's because he isn't actually a traditional point guard at all. He does have point guard skills such as passing, defending, and getting the ball up the floor, but I don't foresee him as the primary ballhandler very often when Ellis is also on the court. I think Rondo is a great passer even if he maybe isn't a great point guard. And honestly, that might be a more valuable weapon considering the rest of the talent in this lineup. I think it would be smart to sub Rondo out early on in games so he can really use his passing skills to help set guys up in the second unit. It might hinder the productivity of Devin, but if it helps struggling players like Jefferson, Aminu and maybe even Villanueva (if there ever comes a day that he plays something more than absolute garbage minutes), having a guy like Rondo that can create passing lanes and break down defenses might offset any kind of dip in production that Harris might see going forward.

Any thoughts on Rondo the passer vs. Rondo the point guard? I think I'm really onto something/really bored here.
I think it's as simple as defenses don't respect his perimeter shot well enough. He may get a lot of assists. But it is neutralized by his lack of shot. Players know to go under the pick. Teams with incredible offenses usually have 4 or 5 guys that are respected shooters. Thus the spacing is ideal for slashing or post play.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #380
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, Barea was on our 2011 squad (although I thought Stevenson started too I think) and is now on the bench. Devin started and came off the bench at times in 2006 and also now comes off the bench. Butler was injured the second half of the season and didn't play.

Like I said, I think our current roster should be better. But the West is a lot more difficult this time around.
Stevenson ended up with the most starts at the 2 spot(though he averaged 16 minutes an outing). Stevenson started all but the last 2 finals games. Stevenson started 54 games + 19 playoff games. Jet started 10 games, Boobs 26 games. Barea got 2 Finals starts. Butler started 29 games before the injury.

Starting lineup is leaps and bounds over the 2011 squad. Need something from Harris, RJ and Aminu immediately.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #381
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Stevenson ended up with the most starts at the 2 spot(though he averaged 16 minutes an outing). Stevenson started all but the last 2 finals games. Stevenson started 54 games + 19 playoff games. Jet started 10 games, Boobs 26 games. Barea got 2 Finals starts. Butler started 29 games before the injury.

Starting lineup is leaps and bounds over the 2011 squad. Need something from Harris, RJ and Aminu immediately.
Yeah. I agree with you that this team is better. I think Harris and Barea have developed their games since their last visit through here. That being said, they aren't good enough to make our starting lineup. That's a good thing. It's a statement about how good our starting five is.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #382
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, the wheels have shot completely off this thing, haven't they?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #383
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

You couldn't ask for more of an efficient player than Wright.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #384
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

Any of the Rondo cheerleaders regretting the trade yet? Used to always have a rule that I'd never bet against Dirk no matter what, but I've just thrown it out the window after this Rondo trade because the team's obviously so much worse with Rondo that it's just free money going against them. Up $900 so far on the last 2 games.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #385
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymcfly View Post
Any of the Rondo cheerleaders regretting the trade yet? Used to always have a rule that I'd never bet against Dirk no matter what, but I've just thrown it out the window after this Rondo trade because the team's obviously so much worse with Rondo that it's just free money going against them. Up $900 so far on the last 2 games.
You don't determine a trade after three games. And I'd love to hear you explain to me how Nelson and Wright would stop the other teams from scoring?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #386
Subtuppel

Subtuppel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You don't determine a trade after three games. And I'd love to hear you explain to me how Nelson and Wright would stop the other teams from scoring?
The other teams are scoring, OK.
But is that supposed to be happening with Rondo allegedly being a superior defender? And is the Mavs offense supposed to turn from #1 into an unorganized, turn-over-mass-producing joke with a superior playmaker?

I am not here often at all, but when i saw the trade my first thought was: worst trade in Mavs history, and was very suprised the majority saw it differently.
Without any need they traded three good and productive players for an out-of-form player who adds nothing to the mavs arsenal and some nobody without any future at all.
Subtuppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #387
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtuppel View Post
But is that supposed to be happening with Rondo allegedly being a superior defender? And is the Mavs offense supposed to turn from #1 into an unorganized, turn-over-mass-producing joke with a superior playmaker?

I am not here often at all, but when i saw the trade my first thought was: worst trade in Mavs history, and was very suprised the majority saw it differently.
Without any need they traded three good and productive players for an out-of-form player who adds nothing to the mavs arsenal and some nobody without any future at all.
Yep I feel the same way. Rondo has been known as a stat padder and not liked by his teammates. That was during his Boston period. But our worst trade was for Antoine Walker.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #388
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
You couldn't ask for more of an limited player than Wright.
yepp
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #389
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

^mavsfan1000's characterization of Wright as hyper-efficient is about the only thing he's gotten right in his discussion of the Rondo trade. The Mavs are missing Brandan right now.

That said, the dismissive characterization of Rondo as a stat padder without recognizing that the rep owes to overpassing is a more dubious contribution, and to have agreed with a post that states that the Mavs didn't have a need at starting PG before the trade is so ignorant it almost has to be willful.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #390
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
yepp
Play to your strengths. I really think Wright helped us a ton. Shaq was limited as well. But we know how dominant he was with what he was good at.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #391
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Play to your strengths. I really think Wright helped us a ton. Shaq was limited as well. But we know how dominant he was with what he was good at.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #392
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
^mavsfan1000's characterization of Wright as hyper-efficient is about the only thing he's gotten right in his discussion of the Rondo trade. The Mavs are missing Brandan right now.

That said, the dismissive characterization of Rondo as a stat padder without recognizing that the rep owes to overpassing is a more dubious contribution, and to have agreed with a post that states that the Mavs didn't have a need at starting PG before the trade is so ignorant it almost has to be willful.
We didn't because Ellis and Parsons are both good ball handlers. Maybe we needed a more defensive point guard but not in expense of changing the already successful offense and hurting our depth.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 12-24-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #393
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We didn't because Ellis and Parsons are both good ball handlers. Maybe we needed a more defensive point guard but not in expense of changing the already successful offense and hurting our depth.
Like I said, willful.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 12-24-2014 at 01:48 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #394
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am not here often at all.
And that's not a problem.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #395
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Wow, three very good and productive players you say? Nelson was arguably the worst starting pg in the league, and Crowder was decent at defense who did little else(hasn't done jack in his two games for Boston). The only player worth griping about was Brandan Wright.

And even if Rondo isn't the defender he once was, he's a better rebounder than Wright...a center.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-24-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #396
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Wright made JJB and Devin legit on offense. Now both are pretty much useless. They can't finish at the rim. Wright bailed them out with his alley oop dunks.

One can say that we lost 5 players in this trade. JJB and Devin are not the same since Wright left. And Parsons to some degree.

Also his 1.7 blocks helped...

But i like this trade. The importance of Wright tells us more about how bad our bench is, than about Wright's quality as a player.

Last edited by markus1234; 12-24-2014 at 06:50 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #397
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Wow, three very good and productive players you say? Nelson was arguably the worst starting pg in the league, and Crowder was decent at defense who did little else(hasn't done jack in his two games for Boston). The only player worth griping about was Brandan Wright.

And even if Rondo isn't the defender he once was, he's a better rebounder than Wright...a center.
Hhmmm. So right now the only thing rondo has improved the team on is gathering up long rebounds?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #398
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I find odd about this is the mislabeling of chandler parsons. In the long run, I think the rondo trade will be good for him. I'm not as down on parsons as a lot of people, but while he can handle the ball, at no point in his career has he ever been Kevin Durant or lebron, in that he was never an ISO scorer. He's not the type of player you give the ball to at the top of the key or the wing and say best your defender from a neutral position and score. What he is however is a guy who is great at taking advantage of advantageous positions either by knocking down open shots(early season slump not withstanding) or beating a defender who is rotating to him. Once we get this figured out(and Rick Carlisle has a legit argument as the best X's and O's coach in league history so I think he will) rondo should help him have more situations where he can attack from an already advantageous position. He'll be fine. Ellis and rondo is an interesting question. I believe(but I could be wrong) that ellis open spot up shooting numbers are actually pretty darn good. His poor percentage just comes from off the dribble/contested shots. He's just never gotten to shoot many spot up looks because he's the creator. If I'm right about that and we see an uptick in his efficiency from deep this could have a similar effect on him.

The rondo acquisition isn't all peaches and cream obviously and there is a danger that it mucks things up as it has right now. But remember we had the best offense in basketball with the ghost of Shawn Marion last year so Rick knows how to make an offense work with a non shooter in the lineup(I know Shawn actually hit some threes last year but he was never guarded out there so the effect was the same) and if anything it should be easier to compensate for a pg moving around in the middle than a sf. The truth is we really won't know how this works until at least the all star game though.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #399
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Hhmmm. So right now the only thing rondo has improved the team on is gathering up long rebounds?
I look at it simply like this...

The Mavs needed three things. An upgrade at starting pg since they like Harris on the bench, defense, and rebounding. I'd say Rondo fits at least two of those three criteria and certainly isn't a bad defender. You're not trading Monta, Parsons, Dirk, or Chandler, so pg is really your only option with an impact move at least.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-24-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #400
xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the rough

I think rondo and Ellis can play together if they figure each other out and define their roles amongst each other. Ball dominant guys can thrive together.

I wanted him in Houston though a lot of fans didn't. I admit, I didn't think he was the perfect fit, and he may not be the perfect fit with you guys but he's a commodity.

I will also say that rondo doesn't scare me as an opposing fan though. I don't watch a bunch of mavs games, but I hated playing crowder and mostly I hated playing wright. I'm glad wright is gone. And I'm glad that there's one less three point shooter on the floor.

I see Charlie has been playing well so that's a plus for you all.

Maybe when you all play us rondo will be on harden and monta on bev. Otherwise, it's kind of a waste to have rondo guarding a guy that will just catch and shoot, no??
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goat offense, jameer nelson goat