Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-20-2005, 01:18 AM   #361
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Interesting read, Ocelot_MattJonesFan. Thanks for posting it.

Without commenting on Jones in specific, here's a thought I have on the matter. At the level of the NFL, the coaching should be the best in the world. The resources should be the best in the world. Ergo, if a guy's a tremendous athlete, the systems should be in place to allow him to thrive. How many small school guys have we seen come into their own in the big leagues?

I'm simply not discouraged that Jones has not played WR for an extended period of time. A great athlete is a great athlete is a great athlete. Furthermore, given the current set of rules in the NFL especially, I'm not that daunted by how difficult a task it is for a WR to make it these days. Look at David Boston. Didn't he make the Pro Bowl as a rookie? One year in the bigs, and he outdoes a bunch of guys who had done it for four or five or more years. I'm just not convinced that there is a sharply defined set of criteria for making it big at the WR spot.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2005, 01:20 AM   #362
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Man, dirno, did Jones do something to your family? The 3rd round? He's a virtual lock for the 1st round right now. Guaranteed to be gone before the 2nd round is over. You think those NFL scout types might know a little bit about his ability? Sure, he might make them all look like idiots and fizzle. But remind me, when was Ryan Leaf drafted? No one is a sure thing.
Believe me, it’s not personal…If I thought he could help the Cowboy’s I’d draft Ben Ladin. I also know what kind of athlete Jones is since he almost single-handedly beat Texas. I’m just not willing to take a risk until the 3rd round on a player at a position he’s never played. That’s just my opinion, nothing against Jones or Arkansas.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #363
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

D2K, interesting point about Blackstock. It does seem sure that Parcells like to count on the advice of those he trusts. Where is he slated to go? Would we need a third-round pick to get him? Or are you thinking about the second round?

Yeah, James is another to look out for. I tend to think that the Cowboys will probably go on the clock at 11 and have their pick of the defensive linemen. Maybe they are looking for something we don't know about. Or maybe they know something we don't know. I wouldn't be shocked by any of those names (Merriman, Ware, James, Spears). Which, of course, is all the more reason to trade down if you are getting offers. Wasn't the word last year that Parcells didn't see a lot of difference among the top three backs? Might we see that 11 pick traded down twice, perhaps, under favorable circumstances?

When did Blade hurt himself? I seem to remember hearing something about that, but I thought it was long enough ago to allow him to be back for next year.

I heard Mickey talking on a Ranch Report, and he said that the Cowboys thought that Merriman had bulked up too much, for the position that they would like for him to play. It's just a hunch, but I don't believe they will draft him.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #364
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When did Blade hurt himself? I seem to remember hearing something about that, but I thought it was long enough ago to allow him to be back for next year.
couple of months ago in NFL Europe training camp...he's out for the year and since he wasn't that great to begin with, his career may be over.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:44 AM   #365
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Matt has played WR before. He played some in high school, up until his senior season when he got to play QB, I believe. He also started off at WR at Arkansas before being moved during his freshman year. His junior year at Arkansas he played, maybe, 20 plays at WR while Ryan Sorohan played in every game at QB. They thought Sorohan would be good enough that they could use Matt at WR. Sorohan sucked, though. Then you have the senior bowl where he played very well, wowing everyone.

I just wish the 'Boys would end up with Matt. Somehow, someway - I'd love for him to end up in Dallas. I'd hate to have to root for the Steelers just because of Matt. ;-)

Oh yeah, Matt DID beat Texas if I remember correctly...down in Austin. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Remember?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #366
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

looks like Denver executed my plan first. Dallas should've tried while they had the chance.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #367
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Norm is talking draft now....says that Merriman is the guy the boys like at 11. They will have him drop 15 lbs and have him play big LB.

Norm also says the Boys will only go defense on day 1. WOW!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #368
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Norm also says that Smith is the #1 pick. and Rogers could slip...all the way to the Boys..."Rogers could be an enormous freefall"....but Dallas will not take him....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #369
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Norm also says that Smith is the #1 pick. and Rogers could slip...all the way to the Boys..."Rogers could be an enormous freefall"....but Dallas will not take him....
Parcells will take Rogers only if he believes that Drew Henson has nothing.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #370
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

The question is what do we do at free safety. Pete Hunter says he wants out. he says safety is for corners who have lost a step. I say trade him for a doornob and and go on. I really think they need to look at Poole in the draft. Maybe trade down at 20 to get him. Who knows just my thoughts.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #371
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Norm is talking draft now....says that Merriman is the guy the boys like at 11. They will have him drop 15 lbs and have him play big LB.

Norm also says the Boys will only go defense on day 1. WOW!
Thanks for the update, I had a 10:30 meeting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. The Cowboy's going all defense on day one is consistent with what I heard from John Madden on the NFL network this weekend. He spoke to Parcells and the coach told him that he's intent on getting the defense fixed.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #372
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I heard that he's looking for a pass rusher specifically.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #373
sike
The Preacha

where did you hear this, Rex?

Old 04-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #374
kingrex
Platinum Member

Peter King (I think ).
Old 04-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #375
sike
The Preacha

Norm seems to think that Merriman is the guy they are zeroing in on....drop 12-15lbs and will be a big, yet fast, lb who can be used in pass rushing in a 3/4 D.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #376
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Norm seems to think that Merriman is the guy they are zeroing in on....drop 12-15lbs and will be a big, yet fast, lb who can be used in pass rushing in a 3/4 D.
I heard Merriman's name from this same report as well.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #377
sike
The Preacha

thanks for the info, Rex.

I saw very little of Merriman...but he sounds like quite the stud....he and Mike Williams [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #378
kingrex
Platinum Member

I know we ned a pass rusher, but I would almost rather have a pass rushing linebacker.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #379
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I saw very little of Merriman...but he sounds like quite the stud....he and Mike Williams [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sike, click here.
At the Bottom of the page, click the little video icon next to Merriman's name.
Its a good highlight video.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #380
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs413
Quote:
Sike, click here.
At the Bottom of the page, click the little video icon next to Merriman's name.
Its a good highlight video.
greatness, 413....thanks.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #381
sike
The Preacha

too many far away shots on that video....but man that guy has great speed!

Old 04-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #382
sike
The Preacha

boy that is a great link...and for the record...Mike Williams's highlights are amazing! Far greater than Edwards or Clayton's

Old 04-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #383
sike
The Preacha

Norm will be talking Cowboys draft changes in just a moment....he says that something may be changing in the draft...that will effect the Boys pick at 11!!! Go here

Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #384
sike
The Preacha

says the Boys love Merriman....all is ok there....but he says the Aaron Rogers draft slip might cause Merriman to be taken ahead of 11....he has not said that yet...but that is what he will say.....trust me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

does that leave us with Mike Williams???? Boy I hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #385
kingrex
Platinum Member

If Merriman is gone, and Parcells is set on getting a lineman, is there another one worth the 11th pick?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #386
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
If Merriman is gone, and Parcells is set on getting a lineman, is there another one worth the 11th pick?
not at the 11....not in my opinion.

Norm says Ronnie Williams or Cadilac may be there at 11......Boys #11 might have just become much more valueable.....someone will want those guys....Arizona will take DJ....Detroit will take Merriman.....SIKE IS A GENIUS! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #387
kingrex
Platinum Member

I say get the best player available, yes even if it is another running back. They can always be traded later if the need arises.

The only point of contention would be if the Cowboys can afford to sign another 1st round running back.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #388
sike
The Preacha

do not draft a running back with 11 hoping to trade him. they do not need two starting RB's on the team...

freakin draft Mike Williams....they have old WR who have proven injury prone. Williams is not a speedster, but if they draft Williamson over Williams I will kill something....Williams will be the play making star WR of this draft. Mark it down.

I happen remember liking Mike Irvin's game....go over the middle bully around CBs make the huge catch! Keyshawn has 2 prime years left....maybe.....Williams has far more potential than Keyshawn in my estimation.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #389
kingrex
Platinum Member

So, sike, do you think the Cowboys should draft Williams?

I'm not getting that message clearly enough. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #390
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I'm not getting that message clearly enough. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'm still on the fence [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Merriman and Williams are my guys.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #391
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm still on the fence [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Merriman and Williams are my guys.
Any chance you can get into that Cowboys war room? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #392
sike
The Preacha

don't know if anyone heard this, but a friend of Matt Jones just called in to the goodfellas and said the boys take him in the second....sounded like the Boys have told him that if he's still there in the second..he's a Cowboy. If this is true...the Boys will not take Willaims at 11.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #393
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Rex: Any chance you can get into that Cowboys war room? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
thus the Mission Impossible music begins.......

Old 04-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #394
sike
The Preacha

Merriman receiving lots of praise from some expert Fisher has on....says the kid is a total stud. "Not top heavy or too hip think...." great balance/strength/speed

Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #395
sike
The Preacha

Dan Shanka (sp?) from "Our Lads" guy on Fisher says Clayton at 20 will be a very good pro receiver for Dallas....

sike says: too small, but if they get Merriman at 11 Clayton will be fine.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #396
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I think Clayton goes to Baltimore...best off-season moves in the league if he does...Rolle, Mason and Clayton...
Old 04-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #397
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

My best guess -- they have Edwards, Williams, DJ, and Merriman in the first group, and if only one is there, they pick him. If more than one, or none, they try to trade down.
(wouldn't surprise me at all for them to trade down 3-4 places and still pick up Spears)

Second group -- Dan and Shawn Cody, Spears, Ware, James, Clayton and probably a couple of others are in this turn of one available or drop.

Third group -- Matt Jones, Thomas Davis, Blackstone, etc...... I think they work off groupings more than individual personell.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #398
sike
The Preacha

Mike Fisher says the talks are up again with New Orleans for Howard...but now instead of the second round pick they are talking Howard and the Saints third round pick for the boys #20....IN A HEARTBEAT I SAY!

but would this mean the boys are going away from a pass rusher with the #11? COULD IT BE MIKE WILLIAMS TIME??

Old 04-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #399
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

In a heartbeat, and either DJ or Merriman at 11. Matt Jones or Brodney Pool if they fall to the 2nd round.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #400
sike
The Preacha

if feel so alone on the Mike Williams bandwagon.....I so hate you all!