Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #361
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Jason Garrett has to be happy with Jerry finally using some draft picks on offensive weapons. We've used 3 of our first 4 picks on offensive players.
But shouldn't one have been on our most glaring hole? We have a 1, a 3, and several 4s.

If you are banking on Glenn coming back and being the Glenn from two years ago feel free to do so, but that is a huge hole in my mind. Yeah, I like what I have seen of Hurd and Austin, but I have seen NOTHING from Stanback that makes me think he can EVER become a 2 and doubt either Hurd or Austin can either. So while most teams have a couple of 2s OR a 1 and a 2 we have a 1 and 3 and if TO who is old gets injured and Glenn offers what I expect him to offer we are fielding a TEs and #3/#4 receivers.

I am just disappointed with no WR choices. If we turn Barber/picks into Boldin/Roy/Johnson I will be very relieved but without that I am not ecstatic about this draft.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #362
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Third RB can be a pretty important position. Dallas has been pretty lucky with no RB injuries, but that won't continue forever.

Also, as they've pointed out on the Ticket, maybe a first, third and fourth is enough to get you Chad Johnson or some other veteran receiver before the season. Now you can do a trade like that and not destroy your draft next season.
Is it as important as STARTING DT??? If the talks are true they want to put Ratliff at end and cut ties with Spears. Who is our DT?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #363
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I think expecting any WR, much less a third or fourth round wide receiver, to contribrute to this team this season is folly. WR's don't contribute as rookies.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #364
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
Is it as important as STARTING DT??? If the talks are true they want to put Ratliff at end and cut ties with Spears. Who is our DT?
Tank?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #365
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I disagree with Manningham. Strongly in fact. He would have been a 1st round WR if he had not lied and scored better on the Wonderlic.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-27-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #366
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Tank?
Ah, I see, Tank will take every snap. Great decision.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #367
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Ah, I see, Tank will take every snap. Great decision.
Well perhaps the fact that they didn't target a NT is a sign that they're not moving Ratlif. I haven't heard any buzz about that in quite some time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #368
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I disagree with Manningham. Strongly in fact. He would have been a 1st round WR if he had not lied and scored better on the Wonderlic.
And even first round receivers rarely do much of anything as a rookie.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #369
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well then you haven't been reading. It was posted several times this week over at TBB.

Again, I just can't see how RB would be thought of as a bigger need than DT and WR. I guess I will stand corrected if moves happen in the future or position swaps never take place but who knows. I am just a dude sitting on my chair watching the draft and bitching. Hopefully the guys making the decisions know quite a bit more than me.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #370
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
And even first round receivers rarely do much of anything as a rookie.
They do a hell of a lot more than 3rd-string RBs.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #371
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
They do a hell of a lot more than 3rd-string RBs.
Tell that to the Giants.

Edit to add: I understand wanting a receiver. At some point they have to bite the bullet and get a receiver for the future. But in terms of next season, I'm not worried about a drafted WR, because I don't think any of them available from the fourth on would have any impact.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-27-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #372
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Tell that to the Giants.
Would you really like me to post the many examples of 1st round WRs and say TELL THAT TO INSERT TEAM.

Stop being dumb.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #373
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Ultimately, Manningham in the late 3rd would have been great great value and he would have been able to help if TO went down.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #374
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Would you really like me to post the many examples of 1st round WRs and say TELL THAT TO INSERT TEAM.

Stop being dumb.
I would welcome you posting the list of fourth round receivers that have made in impact as a rookie.

I await your list.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #375
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Also, if WRs rarely help in the first 1-2 years, shouldn't we start drafting the Fers so we can get them ready to play when TO leaves? Or are you going to waste Romo's best years hoping that Hurd, Austin, and Stanback are those saviors?

Again, we need to now trade for a guy or sign a guy next year in free agency to make up for the blunder of not drafting a talented one this year.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #376
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I would welcome you posting the list of fourth round receivers that have made in impact as a rookie.

I await your list.
4th round? Dude I was talking about Manningham. I wasn't spewing off about anything else. Stop being a retard, seriously. Manningham is a 1st round talent WR that we had in our laps in the late 3rd. Could have had him, passed on him, and I think it was a mistake.

You think what you will, but stop suggesting I want some division II guy running a 4.9 out of Idaho here. Would you like the 1st round list tard?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #377
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Edit to add: I understand wanting a receiver. At some point they have to bite the bullet and get a receiver for the future. But in terms of next season, I'm not worried about a drafted WR, because I don't think any of them available from the fourth on would have any impact.
Why are you only talking 4th on? This draft today continued from the THIRD ROUND. We had a GREAT option to us in the THIRD ROUND.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #378
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The list of first round receivers that make a big impact as a rookie is fairly short as well.

As far as drafting one for the future, I said earlier that I agree you have to eventually bite the bullet and draft one, with the understanding that you're drafting for the future instead of the coming season.

I just don't have a huge problem with not getting one in this draft, because again, I don't think he would have had an impact this season.

Edit: Fine, replace "fourth" with "third" in all my points, and they all remain valid. Third round receivers basically never make an impact as a rookie.

Manningham "could" have helped this season, but the numbers and odds would be against him, I think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-27-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #379
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
The list of first round receivers that make a big impact as a rookie is fairly short as well.

As far as drafting one for the future, I said earlier that I agree you have to eventually bite the bullet and draft one, with the understanding that you're drafting for the future instead of the coming season.

I just don't have a huge problem with not getting one in this draft, because again, I don't think he would have had an impact this season.
Well that post makes little sense because you say you agree with the thinking that a WR should have been drafted rather than waiting for the coming season but then say it isn't a big deal because the WR won't help this year. Well, even if he wouldn't have helped this season, (which I would agree with in the case of no injuries but would strongly disagree with if TO were to go down), wouldn't if have been so smart to get him for the NEXT season where most 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round WRs start making their mark?

That is the thing. I don't know if ANY WR in this class would have been able to come in and grab the #2 spot from the Cowboys, but it is about being able to play on if you suffer a major injury. Now with Romo, it is over, but we can be built to sustain an injury every where else. I just think this was the year to draft a guy for this year if injuries happened and for the future if we stay healthy. Now, if we lose TO next year, Glenn DEFINITELY that next year we are facing entering the draft without a #1 or #2 unless we make a trade, sign a free agent, (with many of our own guys yet to sign), and only have Crayton, Hurd, Austin, and Stanback on the roster worth mentioning.

Yeah, great idea.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #380
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I await your list.
Don't forget Isaiah Stanback!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #381
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Edit: Fine, replace "fourth" with "third" in all my points, and they all remain valid. Third round receivers basically never make an impact as a rookie.

Manningham "could" have helped this season, but the numbers and odds would be against him, I think.
Again though, GREAT value because he should have been a 1st. If he had simply been honest from the beginning he would have been drafted in the 1st. So a lot of teams wrote him off. He missed a meeting with the Cowboys so Jones likely wrote him off for that. I am just saying, the talent is THERE so while he would have been drafted in the 3rd, he would have the talent of a 1st.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #382
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

If TO goes down, the season is over, in my opinion.

And no receiver in this draft would change that, again, imo.

But yes, at SOME point they have to draft a receiver or two, for the future.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #383
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Oh well, at least we will get Peyton Hillis with our next pick. Where is that jack off emoticon when I need it?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #384
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
If TO goes down, the season is over, in my opinion.

And no receiver in this draft would change that, again, imo.

But yes, at SOME point they have to draft a receiver or two, for the future.
I disagree if a Barber trade can take place. We drafted two running backs. Let them split the time, (especially with Choice being a Barber clone). Barber wants LT money so let someone else pay. Get Boldin with him.

In any event, you MIGHT be right on that, but I would like to think that with a future stud in Manningham and the rest of our corps we could have survived. If he couldn't make it back by the playoffs though, you are almost definitely right.

YES OR NO. Shouldn't that point have been this year?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #385
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I disagree if a Barber trade can take place. We drafted two running backs. Let them split the time, (especially with Choice being a Barber clone). Barber wants LT money so let someone else pay. Get Boldin with him.

In any event, you MIGHT be right on that, but I would like to think that with a future stud in Manningham and the rest of our corps we could have survived. If he couldn't make it back by the playoffs though, you are almost definitely right.

YES OR NO. Shouldn't that point have been this year?
Umm. I don't know.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #386
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Great first day after reading more and more about Bennett but a really poor day in regards to helping our team this year with the second day. We still have a few picks to turn it around but I just really question a couple of the trade downs, (getting the 3rd next year was nice though), when some really talented players were there for our taking.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #387
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Umm. I don't know.
Hahaha... fair enough! Tard!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #388
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

No worries guys. If you think Jerry Jones is done making deals, you're crazy...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #389
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Um, Teshard Choice is a really talented player that we ended up taking. He was in the 90s on The Gooooooooooooooooooose's board, and we got him at #122.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #390
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I know we didn't get the receiver we wanted, but we are getting two guys who will be catching some passes for us this year. Felix Jones and Bennett supposedly are guys that both can line up at wide receiver from time to time. With the creativity of Garrett and Romo, I'm sure we can find out a way to use them and make up for a slight lack of receivers. Just as long as TO can remain healthy...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 04-27-2008 at 12:56 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #391
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Um, Teshard Choice is a really talented player that we ended up taking. He was in the 90s on The Gooooooooooooooooooose's board, and we got him at #122.
I don't doubt that Fin... But it is about need. We needed a WR more, hell a DT more, than we needed a 3rd string RB.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #392
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Okay, I know we didn't get the receiver we wanted, but we are getting two guys who will be catching some passes for us this year. Felix Jones and Bennett supposedly are guys that both can line up at wide receiver from time to time. With the creativity of Garrett and Romo, I'm sure we can find out a way to use them and make up for a slight lack of receivers. Just as long as TO can remain healthy...
Nuff said.

I will add one more thing. What about next year? Shouldn't those guys have been put in place this year so they could not only help if TO got hurt the previous year but step in to be big players for our team when TO leaves?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #393
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

TRADE UP
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #394
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

We're moving up now? Interesting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #395
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Move up for a corner? WTF?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #396
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Nice pick there... No WRs left.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #397
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

He is a talented guy. Very talented. DTs gone, WRs gone, best player available.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #398
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

4.32 40...

That was a special teams pick with security if the Pac can't play.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #399
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Only the 7th.

Nice.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #400
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Bennett will be a beast. He's not a typical TE. 6-6, 259.

He's basically an athletic freak.

Here's a video of him getting up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_xbmryFFOkg

Can you imagine a 2 TE set with Barber in the backfield? Game over.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote