Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #361
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Read a rumor out of Philly that the Sixers may be shopping the #2 pick, if someone would take on Brand's salary. Damp for Brand & the #2 pick straight-up would work. Depending on how desperate Philly is, we could also try to force the inclusion of Matt Carroll in the deal to reduce the total financial burden to the Mavs.

Would you do it? Brand is a shell of his former self and would be way over-paid ($51 million for the next three years), but he would not be a bad bench player to have backing up Dirk and 'Wood at 4/5. With #2, draft Evan Turner, who immediately becomes the Mavs' starting 2 and the core of the next 10x50 as half of the starting backcourt of Beaubois/Turner for the next decade.

Terry thus becomes expendable (already is, in my opinion), and with Turner & Roddy taking minutes at the 2 next season, he doesn't play enough minutes to guarantee 2011--making him our next "instant expiring" to use as a trade chip in the subsequent offseason. Brand limps through two seasons before becoming a FAT, in every sense of the word, expiring deal that could be useful in adding talent in 2012.

It's a lot of salary to swallow--but I think I'd do it, assuming Philly were willing, and assuming LeBron & Wade both shoot us down.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #362
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Read a rumor out of Philly that the Sixers may be shopping the #2 pick, if someone would take on Brand's salary. Damp for Brand & the #2 pick straight-up would work. Depending on how desperate Philly is, we could also try to force the inclusion of Matt Carroll in the deal to reduce the total financial burden to the Mavs.

Would you do it? Brand is a shell of his former self and would be way over-paid ($51 million for the next three years), but he would not be a bad bench player to have backing up Dirk and 'Wood at 4/5. With #2, draft Evan Turner, who immediately becomes the Mavs' starting 2 and the core of the next 10x50 as half of the starting backcourt of Beaubois/Turner for the next decade.

Terry thus becomes expendable (already is, in my opinion), and with Turner & Roddy taking minutes at the 2 next season, he doesn't play enough minutes to guarantee 2011--making him our next "instant expiring" to use as a trade chip in the subsequent offseason. Brand limps through two seasons before becoming a FAT, in every sense of the word, expiring deal that could be useful in adding talent in 2012.

It's a lot of salary to swallow--but I think I'd do it, assuming Philly were willing, and assuming LeBron & Wade both shoot us down.
That isn't my question..... my question is -- Do you do this before you get shot down by Wade/Lebron , or are you getting enough talent back to help you get Wade/Lebron?

Reason: draft is before the free agency period -- and I am guessing the Sixers want it done before the draft - so they know when/where/who they will be drafting.

Is that talent of Turner/Brand enough to burn your DUST chip, now before you get an answer from Lebron/Wade? Does it help or hurt you ability to get Lebron, let's say?

If you get Turner/Brand -- what do you have to give up in the SNT? Would the team want DUST or talent/salary?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #363
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I know they want to get rid of Brand's contract, but I doubt they're so desperate that they'd just give away the 2 pick for simple cap relief. That's a really high pick. Do you think they'd do it? I think they'd want something...preferably someone they could develop and who has a cheap contract. Roddy's too valuable to be that piece, and I'm not sure we have any other ones that fits that description.

Perhaps they are that desperate...we've been spoiled with Cubes, I don't really know what its like to not have any cap space...but it seems like a long shot. Anyway, there's always talk about buying picks or trading picks, but it seems like it never happens.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #364
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
That isn't my question..... my question is -- Do you do this before you get shot down by Wade/Lebron , or are you getting enough talent back to help you get Wade/Lebron?

Reason: draft is before the free agency period -- and I am guessing the Sixers want it done before the draft - so they know when/where/who they will be drafting.

Is that talent of Turner/Brand enough to burn your DUST chip, now before you get an answer from Lebron/Wade? Does it help or hurt you ability to get Lebron, let's say?

If you get Turner/Brand -- what do you have to give up in the SNT? Would the team want DUST or talent/salary?
Interesting point. But you can start talking to potential free agents on June 1st, correct? The draft isn't until late June. That should be enough time to judge the interest of the big free agents, right?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #365
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't see Cubes taking on that Brand albatross...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #366
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a draft expert by any means, but I'd gotten the impression that Wall and Turner were all but guaranteed to be the top two picks. If that's accurate, then I'd expect Philly to just pick whichever one is still on the board even if they have no idea whether the pick will get traded.

From Dallas' perspective, though, if you're pulling the trigger on a Brand/#2 swap you've got to either think that Brand is ready to regain 90-95% of his pre-injury form (extremely doubtful), or you've got to believe that Turner (if Wall goes #1) is a can't-miss instant starter and a perennial all-star at SG by his third year in the NBA at the latest. The reason is simply this. Brand, at present, isn't worth more than 6-7 million per year, yet he's slated to make about 50 million over the next three years. Turner, as the second pick, would start off making, what, 4 million or something in that neighborhood? That means Dallas would be on the hook for 20-25 million per on average for those two players over the next three seasons. If Turner's not almost instantly playing like a guy who deserves to make 10+ million per season, the trade would end up handicapping the team horribly moving forward.

Lumping in Carroll (assuming it'd be cap-legal; I haven't checked) would help leverage the risk somewhat, but count me as thinking that it's unlikely that Dallas would pull the trigger on that deal even if Philly were willing.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #367
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Starting to think Favors should be #2, legit center size and skills, slow start at Tech, hurting his status.
Kidd Karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #368
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Starting to think Favors should be #2, legit center size and skills, slow start at Tech, hurting his status.
I think you might be on to something. Turner is a really nice player...good size for a 2 guard, really good handles, and can carve the defense well, but watching a few of his videos I can't help but think some of his drives to the basket are caused by poor defense by the opponents. He has a good collegiate jumper, but in regards to the NBA it is average at best.

He's a really good player and from what I see I wouldn't fault anyone for taking him 2, but I wonder if that's just a little too high.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #369
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Has this been posted yet? Pretty hilarious blooper reel from several video outtakes this season. I love Barea wearing the oversized sunglasses from Dirka's av:

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2010/5/...r-reel-h-t-2mg

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #370
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Has this been posted yet? Pretty hilarious blooper reel from several video outtakes this season. I love Barea wearing the oversized sunglasses from Dirka's av:

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2010/5/...r-reel-h-t-2mg
Here Chum, I made this for you:

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #371
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, ha. That is hilarious.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #372
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think you wait around for LeBron or Wade if this deal is available (and that's a huge if). Can't start talking to free agents until July 1, after the draft has already happened, and the competition for those guys will be fierce.

As an alternative to Damp, the Mavs could offer Caron & DeShawn. That way, Philly gets some talent back (Caron) and two contracts that expire at the end of the season if that's their desire. It's basically a wash salary-wise in year 1, so then the Mavs are only taking on an incremental $35MM in salary for Brand...and again, I suspect the $18MM expiring in a couple years will be worth a lot in trade to someone.

Somehow convince Philly to include Iguodala & Terry in the swap and I might move back to Dallas to watch that team!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #373
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Butler hopes to remain as a Maverick...
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/but...p-it-together/
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #374
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareMilk View Post
He lost me at:

"All that said, I’m aware that it’s all going to depend on what Dirk Nowitzki decides. You kind of feel what he wants is to stay a Maverick for life, but you can never know for sure. You just have to wait and see what happens during free agency. If you ask me, I would like this team to stay together. We’re not that far off. We could return next season with the exact same squad and compete for the title. We have the experience, leadership and everything else in place to make it happen."

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #375
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareMilk View Post
Interesting blog from Butler. I only have one question for Caron Butler. After your game 5 performance, what made you completely do a 180 in game 6? Your first couple of shots were jump shots. Long jump shots at that. Why didn't you go to the hole like in game 5. WHY? WHHHYYYY?

Sorry about that, but anyways... Butler you're right if Dirk wants you here, you'll be here, but if Dirk wants you gone... Well you know how that story ends.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #376
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I honestly don't think you wait around for LeBron or Wade if this deal is available (and that's a huge if). Can't start talking to free agents until July 1, after the draft has already happened, and the competition for those guys will be fierce.

As an alternative to Damp, the Mavs could offer Caron & DeShawn. That way, Philly gets some talent back (Caron) and two contracts that expire at the end of the season if that's their desire. It's basically a wash salary-wise in year 1, so then the Mavs are only taking on an incremental $35MM in salary for Brand...and again, I suspect the $18MM expiring in a couple years will be worth a lot in trade to someone.

Somehow convince Philly to include Iguodala & Terry in the swap and I might move back to Dallas to watch that team!
I agree that if a good deal comes along on draft day for a non-free agent the Mavs shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger. I just don't think Brand/#2 is that deal.

And apologies for being blunt, but the idea of subbing in Caron for Damp is terrible. With Damp at least you're not giving away talent that you'd otherwise have under contract next year. Sub in Caron and there's a very real risk that the best player involved in the deal would be the one heading to Philly. It'd be like mortgaging your house to buy a gun and then using it to shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #377
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
He lost me at:

"All that said, I’m aware that it’s all going to depend on what Dirk Nowitzki decides. You kind of feel what he wants is to stay a Maverick for life, but you can never know for sure. You just have to wait and see what happens during free agency. If you ask me, I would like this team to stay together. We’re not that far off. We could return next season with the exact same squad and compete for the title. We have the experience, leadership and everything else in place to make it happen."
He didn't lose me. A lot of that depends on how Booby develops, how Kidd holds up, and what other teams do this summer, but I think the team is closer to contention than many here think.

That said, I think (hope) the goal is to move from arguable contention to consensus (co)favorite, and that likely will require something more than standing pat.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #378
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
He didn't lose me. A lot of that depends on how Booby develops, how Kidd holds up, and what other teams do this summer, but I think the team is closer to contention than many here think.

That said, I think (hope) the goal is to move from arguable contention to consensus (co)favorite, and that likely will require something more than standing pat.

Well when he said exact same team, I thought he isn't giving some other really good teams credit. Sure if Roddy improves and actually gets to play we will be better, but there are still a few things that hold us back. Kidd is older and I'm not in love with what he has left already. We still don't have a slasher or creator/scorer at SG... the list of issues that we have had that held us back remain unchanged aside from Roddys development and I'm not convinced that RC will play him the minutes he deserves.

To me it's painfully obvious that we require something more than standing pat.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #379
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He lost me at:

I honestly have been thinking about this for a the last few days myself. Can you feel that bad is the Mavs kept the same team? The Mavs didn't lack talent in the playoffs...they lacked players showing up. So...I guess you can argue all day about who the team should get rid of that didn't show up in the playoffs....but I still feel pretty good about the talent on this team. Still good enough to win 50 games, could be worse.

I'm pretty sure that most of the fan base would be satisfied as long as one thing happened...Roddy b. I don't know a sane nba fan who didn't think Roddy was under used this season. Play him, and Rick will win them back.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #380
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
...Sure if Roddy improves and actually gets to play we will be better, but there are still a few things that hold us back. Kidd is older and I'm not in love with what he has left already. We still don't have a slasher or creator/scorer at SG... the list of issues that we have had that held us back remain unchanged aside from Roddys development and I'm not convinced that RC will play him the minutes he deserves.

To me it's painfully obvious that we require something more than standing pat.
Well, two areas where I expect we just disagree, then, are Kidd's value (I think he's still got plenty) and the question of whether Rick would play Booby (I think he'll not repeat his mistake of last season).

What I'm a little puzzled by is this: wouldn't sufficient development from Booby effectively address the creator/scorer issue? His talent for creating offense in the half-court is, after all, the reason he's in the league, yet you seem to dismiss that as a possible route to contention for the current roster.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #381
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I honestly have been thinking about this for a the last few days myself. Can you feel that bad is the Mavs kept the same team? The Mavs didn't lack talent in the playoffs...they lacked players showing up. So...I guess you can argue all day about who the team should get rid of that didn't show up in the playoffs....but I still feel pretty good about the talent on this team. Still good enough to win 50 games, could be worse.

I'm pretty sure that most of the fan base would be satisfied as long as one thing happened...Roddy b. I don't know a sane nba fan who didn't think Roddy was under used this season. Play him, and Rick will win them back.
If a team stacked on paper, should still be playing today, isn't....I need to improve it. You look at who didn't show up.....Kidd, Jet, Caron, Marion. Kidd, he was there all season, just picked up an ear infection and was not the same, does that give him a pass, no, but I blame much of Kidd's run down status, and yes and ear infection or illness could be avoided, if rested properly, this rests on RC's shoulder, for not reducing Kidd's minutes, trusing Roddy. Jet, was in a slump all series long, is it age? Who knows, at least we have Roddy to dig some into that role. With Butler for a whole season, that too will dig into Jet's minutes. Caron, was not focused on getting to the bucket every night out. That should be his primary focus if he's back, attack the hole time and time again. If the lane is there, attack the cup. Well Marion was absent, as much of his scoring depends on getting him the rock in opportunity. Biggest need is a low post scoring threat and a wing that will attack the cup consistently, Caron can be that guy, but he has to be punished every time he's jacking a 20 footer.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #382
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What I'm a little puzzled by is this: wouldn't sufficient development from Booby effectively address the creator/scorer issue? His talent for creating offense in the half-court is, after all, the reason he's in the league, yet you seem to dismiss that as a possible route to contention for the current roster.
Possibly. But it's the offseason, so it would be prudent to address the issue with a proven scorer now if possible. Relying on Roddy exclusively might be an unnecessary risk.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #383
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Possibly. But it's the offseason, so it would be prudent to address the issue with a proven scorer now if possible. Relying on Roddy exclusively might be an unnecessary risk.
No doubt. I'm just arguing that if everything else falls flat, it might not be as bad a contingency plan as some think.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #384
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Getting Turner from Philly would insure that he would be riding the bench just like Roddy did last year. I think that we should try for one of the superstars but do not need to morgage the future or sell the farm to do so. The talent is here we just need to adress the guard and Center positions. The guard situation could be adressed by playing Roddy and getting rid of either Terry or JJb. If Roddy played we would not be dependant on JJB's ability to break down the D off the dribble. One of the three Kidd, Terry or JJB has to go. All three are defensive libilities. JJB is the only one of the three who can take it off the dribble. Kidd has more plus's than the other two so we should stick with him. Besides some people think that he is a god so that would never fly.

We definately need another Center beside's Haywood. Damp is overrated as a defender and is getting old and even slower than he ever was. The number of centers that his size was effective against has diminished considerably. The days of the low post physical center is over except for Howard and Damp could never stop him even if he were in his prime. If we got another center and perhaps a multifacited guard to replace either JJB or Terry we would bne contenders.

The only problem I see is that we would still have RC as the coach. Thats actually the position that we really need to get better at. When our role playing players don't produce in their area's of strength he doesn't know how to adjust.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #385
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He lost me at:

ya i dont mind if the same team returns especially with roddyb getting another year of development.the team jus needs a few tweaks on the bench...look at phoenix..there 10 deep..what are we 8 deep? with kidd and dirk playing 35mins+ a game...
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #386
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
ya i dont mind if the same team returns especially with roddyb getting another year of development.the team jus needs a few tweaks on the bench...look at phoenix..there 10 deep..what are we 8 deep? with kidd and dirk playing 35mins+ a game...
Channing Frye, Jared Dudley, Goran Dragic, Barbosa, before this season started who would you trade off our bench? Nevertheless, RC probably would chain them to the bench. Outside of Barbosa, the other 3 had not proved themselves in this league over 82. Gentry gave them time to develop, he sits Nash because Goran was hot. Difference Gentry-RC.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #387
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Channing Frye, Jared Dudley, Goran Dragic, Barbosa, before this season started who would you trade off our bench? Nevertheless, RC probably would chain them to the bench. Outside of Barbosa, the other 3 had not proved themselves in this league over 82. Gentry gave them time to develop, he sits Nash because Goran was hot. Difference Gentry-RC.
ya gentry>RC..and the key difference between there's and ours is YOUTH!!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #388
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
He lost me at:

Yeah, like others said, I don't think this is so far off. We have a ton of talent on our roster. I think JET's over the hill, now, and he's never going to be like he was in 08-09. However, Kidd's three should increase a point or 2, perhaps. Butler had an atrocious year by his standards...it would shock me to see him go from 15 ppg on average shooting to 18-19 ppg on above average shooting with a full season to develop chemistry and to have a training camp. It seemed like a lot of the effective plays for Butler...a handoff/pick from a big man, that baseline iso...were used less and less as the season went along for some reason. Probably the coaches were trying to institute Butler into their own plays, but maybe this summer they'll change their playbook a little to accommodate his plays. Remember, he averaged 20 ppg one season (06-07, was it?) so its not as drastic a turnaround as you might htink to go from 15 to 18.

Of course, Roddy will be the biggest improvement. He getting minutes will allow him to score in the paint, which will open up the floor more off penetrations (see: Nash and Dragic this postseason), and improve the defense because we aren't playing 5'9" playings as much anymore.

His quote is that they could be champion contenders. I agree; they could be champion contenders with this exact same group next year.

And even if we don't pull off a big move (Lebron; Wade) or even a medium move (Iggy), I think there's some really nice free agents we could go pick up for MLE that would improve this team. I'm mainly thinking shootings...my choice is JJ Redick, but Kyle Korver or Mike Miller are also out there as free agents. These are guys who you can count on to make open 3's, since JET is no longer that player and Marion and Butler have never been.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #389
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Yeah, like others said, I don't think this is so far off. We have a ton of talent on our roster. I think JET's over the hill, now, and he's never going to be like he was in 08-09. However, Kidd's three should increase a point or 2, perhaps. Butler had an atrocious year by his standards...it would shock me to see him go from 15 ppg on average shooting to 18-19 ppg on above average shooting with a full season to develop chemistry and to have a training camp. It seemed like a lot of the effective plays for Butler...a handoff/pick from a big man, that baseline iso...were used less and less as the season went along for some reason. Probably the coaches were trying to institute Butler into their own plays, but maybe this summer they'll change their playbook a little to accommodate his plays. Remember, he averaged 20 ppg one season (06-07, was it?) so its not as drastic a turnaround as you might htink to go from 15 to 18.

Of course, Roddy will be the biggest improvement. He getting minutes will allow him to score in the paint, which will open up the floor more off penetrations (see: Nash and Dragic this postseason), and improve the defense because we aren't playing 5'9" playings as much anymore.

His quote is that they could be champion contenders. I agree; they could be champion contenders with this exact same group next year.

And even if we don't pull off a big move (Lebron; Wade) or even a medium move (Iggy), I think there's some really nice free agents we could go pick up for MLE that would improve this team. I'm mainly thinking shootings...my choice is JJ Redick, but Kyle Korver or Mike Miller are also out there as free agents. These are guys who you can count on to make open 3's, since JET is no longer that player and Marion and Butler have never been.
Yea, would be nice if we can pick up Korver, Miller, or Redick to take on Jet's role.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #390
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
ya gentry>RC..and the key difference between there's and ours is YOUTH!!
Plus they didn't have a mid year addition of 2 rotational players, their roster has been in tact from day 1. Nevertheless, I think it's coaching and player rotation, do you get the bench experience and develop chemistry....or you scrap that and ball Grant, Nash Jrich, and Amare for 40 a night.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #391
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
No doubt. I'm just arguing that if everything else falls flat, it might not be as bad a contingency plan as some think.
Short on time now but.... as a contingency plan such as relying on Roddy to carry the missing link and even more importantly be able to do it consistently under playoff pressure, I can't expect them to win it all. All else wont fail this summer imo, but if it did, I won't have my expectations very high.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #392
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yea, would be nice if we can pick up Korver, Miller, or Redick to take on Jet's role.
All three are pretty underrated as complete players as well, especially JJ. JJ actually has become a very solid defender, he's played some very nice D on Ray Allen. He is also a fundamentally sound player who has become very adept at penetrating and dishing, getting to the FT line and making smart passes. SVG plays him in the 4th over Barnes and at times Vince. I would love to have JJ here. Korver and Miller are more three's than twos, but I would be happy with either as well.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #393
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Redick would be a nice pickup, though I'd expect Orlando to match up to the MLE on him, so he might only be a realistic option if a team under the cap decides to get aggressive in bidding for him (though even then BYC issues would probably complicate matters).

Depending on how things shake out, though, if the Mavs are at all in the trade market for some of Orlando's other assets (Pietrus and Gortat, for example), a biggish offer to Redick could help out Dallas indirectly by motivating Orlando to clear some salary off their bench so that they can play Redick enough to get their money's worth out of him, so his situation bears watching, regardless.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #394
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Id love to see Roddy in the 6th man role next year, so jet needs to go
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #395
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
All three are pretty underrated as complete players as well, especially JJ. JJ actually has become a very solid defender, he's played some very nice D on Ray Allen. He is also a fundamentally sound player who has become very adept at penetrating and dishing, getting to the FT line and making smart passes. SVG plays him in the 4th over Barnes and at times Vince. I would love to have JJ here. Korver and Miller are more three's than twos, but I would be happy with either as well.
I've seen Redick abused at times on defense, but overall, I think he's an average defender, surprising considering he's an nonathletic white shooter. He wouldn't get the steals, but purely man to man he's likely better than JET. Mainly, Redick isn't undersized like Terry is.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #396
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Redick would be a nice pickup, though I'd expect Orlando to match up to the MLE on him, so he might only be a realistic option if a team under the cap decides to get aggressive in bidding for him (though even then BYC issues would probably complicate matters).

Depending on how things shake out, though, if the Mavs are at all in the trade market for some of Orlando's other assets (Pietrus and Gortat, for example), a biggish offer to Redick could help out Dallas indirectly by motivating Orlando to clear some salary off their bench so that they can play Redick enough to get their money's worth out of him, so his situation bears watching, regardless.
Reddick is becoming a good player, he is good enough to finish out a starting lineup for a title contending team, he has improved a ton
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #397
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If a team stacked on paper, should still be playing today, isn't....I need to improve it. You look at who didn't show up.....Kidd, Jet, Caron, Marion. Kidd, he was there all season, just picked up an ear infection and was not the same, does that give him a pass, no, but I blame much of Kidd's run down status, and yes and ear infection or illness could be avoided, if rested properly, this rests on RC's shoulder, for not reducing Kidd's minutes, trusing Roddy. Jet, was in a slump all series long, is it age? Who knows, at least we have Roddy to dig some into that role. With Butler for a whole season, that too will dig into Jet's minutes. Caron, was not focused on getting to the bucket every night out. That should be his primary focus if he's back, attack the hole time and time again. If the lane is there, attack the cup. Well Marion was absent, as much of his scoring depends on getting him the rock in opportunity. Biggest need is a low post scoring threat and a wing that will attack the cup consistently, Caron can be that guy, but he has to be punished every time he's jacking a 20 footer.
Jet is in a playoff slump since 2007

I want Roddy as 6th. I hope he works during the summer on the PnR and defense. Thats the one big leak RC is pointing out. Reduce Jets minutes, shots and crunchtime apperance. Actually reduce his play into a Korver/Redick role and you dont need one of these guys.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-28-2010 at 08:20 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #398
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Agent: LeBron James is searching for a sidekick

Quote:
Bill Duffy, a longtime NBA agent, likened the situation to Batman searching for Robin.

I think each player has to assess his own individual situation," Duffy told the Detroit Free-Press. "I think the reason you're seeing this synergy, so to speak, is that all of these guys are in situations where they are not winning, so they need a co-conspirator. I call it the Batman and Robin syndrome where some players are Batman and some players are Robin.

"If you look at the NBA there's never been one individual superstar to carry a team. Oscar Robertson teamed with Lew Alcindor at the time. In Detroit you could say Dennis Rodman and Joe Dumars were Isiah Thomas' Robins and Magic (Johnson) was surrounded by a bunch of great players."

Duffy added that this summer's free agent class is extremely rare.

"First of all, for the agents, players and the league and the various teams this is very unprecedented," Duffy said. "There has never been a situation where you've had this many marquee players free at the same time.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...for-a-sidekick

Dirk + Lebron =
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #399
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Turkoglu to back up dirk maybe? He wants out of toronto for sure. His contract is big for that kind of role, but isnt a release possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #400
bobatundi
Golden Member

I don't think Hedo is that good. He's a nice player, but I don't see him as a #2.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...