Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #361
Joe Blow

Joe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Stick around awhile.
Thanks for the friendly words and the invitation, Dub. I think I will stick around awhile. Most messages boards I've been on seem to have very little sense of humor, as a whole. This one might be different!
Joe Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #362
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blow View Post
I wish! Then maybe he would just give me some small fraction of all those millions he's worth.

As it is, I have to work for it. He pays for all I can eat at The Waffle House every day to come here and sing his praises, ya know?

Don't ever tell him I said this, but he's a cheap-ass. I asked for a measly $60,000 advance and he wouldn't pay it. The fool.
must spread rep

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #363
Joe Blow

Joe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the rough
Default The fool cut me off!

Sauntered into the Waffle House today, and, after copping a feel offa my favorite waitress, Julie, I commenced to order up 5 T-Bone steaks, a dozen scrambled eggs, and 6 orders of country hashbrowns, smothered, covered, and capped. Then, guess what? They said Deron withdrew his standing offer to cover my meals with his credit card! Can you believe it!?

All on account of the completely insignificant detail that I haven't made a post touting Deron's talents here lately. I told you he was a tight-ass. Anyway, I gotta get back to work here--I'm starving.

So, the main issue, as I see it, is this here: Why didn't Williams play better in Brooklyn last year?

He had surgeries the year before on both ankles, and came into the year saying he felt as good, physically, as he ever had. He got off to a good start, and was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week early on. Also early on, he sprained his ankle, or bruised his thigh, or something, I forget exactly, but he was out for 5-10 games, and that set him back a little. Later in the year it was reported that he also had tendonitis. But those were mere side issues. Those injuries don't really explain his performance--which was not really "bad" but certainly not "great" either.

So what explains it? If you ask me it was his bad attitude. I don't mean that he was a trouble-maker, or a disciplinary problem, just that his attitude was not good (positive).

Why not? Only he could know for sure (if he does). But, to paraphrase the inimitable Yogi Berra: His problems were 90% mental, the other half was physical.

Is he just fat and lazy now? Maybe, but I don't think so. He wouldn't want to come back home to show that, if that was his mindset. I bet he's training extra hard right now to get into the best physical and mental shape possible. He wants to redeem himself.

I guess he knows how to do it, but I can't help but wonder. He told me I eat too many eggs and hashbrowns. He said it was "unhealthy." But how would that even be possible, I ask you? I think he's just being cheap, and trying to get me to cut down on the portions he ends up getting charged for, ya know?

Last edited by Joe Blow; 08-12-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #364
Joe Blow

Default The average Brooklyn Fan rates Williams

As being somewhere in the bottom 5 or 10 among starting point guards. But this pundit has him at number 9, just ahead of Tony Parker at 10 and just behind Mike Conley at 8. He says:

Quote:
Deron Williams makes it into our 9th place of the power rankings. He's got a new change of scenery this upcoming season after signing with the Dallas Mavericks during the offseason. Being with the Brooklyn Nets last season, he was able to lead them to a 4-2 opening stretch and was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week. He started the season off healthy until he went down with an injury December 19th with a strained calf, only to come back January 8th and be injured once more. This time, it was with fractured ribs. He came back just before All-Star break and he was able to lead the Brooklyn Nets to the playoffs. Williams scored a postseason career high of 35 points against the Atlanta Hawks to tie the series 2-2. The Nets went on to lost the series in game 6, but Deron had a fantastic series nonetheless
http://cyesportsnews.sportsblog.com/...s-of-2015.html

Who's paying this guy, ya figure?

Last edited by Joe Blow; 08-15-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #365
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Go figure. No Bledsoe / Dragic / Rose. Otherwise seems pretty legit but I do think they forgot Rose.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #366
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
No Bledsoe / Dragic / Rose. Otherwise seems pretty legit but I do think they forgot Rose.

If it were your list, would you throw out Williams, Parker, and Conley, and put those 3 in somewhere, while leaving the rest?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #367
Joe Blow

Default More from Carlisle on Williams

This was about a month ago, so it may have already been posted, I don't know:

Question: What do you feel your team is getting in Deron Williams? We know his numbers have declined in Brooklyn the last three years....who do you think Deron Williams is now?

Answer: "He's a terrific player. He's lit us up the past two years in a big way...particularly at our building. I really think he's a high-level player. I think we have a good situation for him because he and Dirk together will play extremely well. And he's coming back home, where he wants to come....My understanding is that we were the only team he was interested in joining.

That's great to know and I think we have a situation where he will flourish."

https://audioboom.com/boos/3404065-7...-rick-carlisle

Does he mean it, you figure, or is that just standard coach-talk when a new player comes?

Last edited by Joe Blow; 08-17-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #368
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If it were your list, would you throw out Williams, Parker, and Conley, and put those 3 in somewhere, while leaving the rest?
I would have Lowry behind Conley and Parker for sure. Irving as 3rd is too high for my taste and I'd even push Lillard behind Conley/Parker. I'd also have Rose around Conley/Parker and Deron would be out of top 10 for sure. This doesn't mean he can't be top 10 for me - he just has to show it now in a system that on paper fits him well.

Basically I'd just push Lowry and Lillard behind Conley/Parker and keep them in a group with Deron.

I think with any top 10 list it's easy to get first 5 or 7 but after that the difference becomes too minuscule.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #369
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Basically I'd just push Lowry and Lillard behind Conley/Parker and keep them in a group with Deron.

I think with any top 10 list it's easy to get first 5 or 7 but after that the difference becomes too minuscule.
That sounds reasonable, but I don't consider myself informed enough to even judge relative value. I've seen all these guys play, but only on very limited occasions and what I "know" about them is primarily based on hearsay and reputation.

I remember Deron defending John Wall from criticism by noting that "he's not playing with the brightest guys in the league" (Hello, Javale).

A good point guard makes his teammates better, but it's a two-way street: Good teammates make a point guard better, too.

That makes it even harder to assess a given player individually, for me, anyway. Great individual talent can even make the team, as a whole, worse rather than better, under some conditions (Allen Iverson comes to mind).
Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #370
Joe Blow

Default Along those lines, you have to wonder about

Russell Westbrook. He is a tremendous talent, no question about it. But even Michael Jordan couldn't get "over the hump" until he became more team oriented. It took a new coach (Jackson), a new system (the triangle), and a new attitude from Jordan for that to happen.

From a fairly recent SI article:

Quote:
The Oklahoma City Thunder are hoping to get back to the NBA Finals this season and have identified ball movement as a key factor in returning to title contention. Scott Brooks has mentioned it, Kevin Durant has mentioned it and even Shaquille O’Neal has mentioned it....

O’Neal told the website. “At some point, for the betterment of the team, you’ve got to step back. Until Westbrook learns to step back, it may be hard for them."
http://thunderousintentions.com/2014...ell-westbrook/

Westbrook had the highest useage rate in the league last year, taking as many as 43 shots in a one game, and won the scoring title. But the team missed the playoffs, so....

It's a team game. Some observations from the 43-shot game (against Indiana, where he scored 54 points, but the team lost):

Quote:
Westbrook was having none of the discussion that maybe, just maybe, having one player take 43 shots was problematic. “I don’t really give a damn what nobody thinks,” Westbrook said.

“It was his show,” Pacers guard Donald Sloan said of Westbrook. “(The rest of the Thunder) were more spectators than anything. In the end it hurt them because (Westbrook) was one of the only guys going. It's hard to win games like that.”
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/russel...qvbC8EUhYGw.99

Last edited by Joe Blow; 08-17-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #371
Javale McGeeber

Javale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to all

Quote:
I remember Deron defending John Wall from criticism by noting that "he's not playing with the brightest guys in the league" (Hello, Javale).
Hello. Yes, I too know how John Wall feels.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #372
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javale McGeeber View Post
Hello. Yes, I too know how John Wall feels.

I don't. How does he feel?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #373
Joe Blow

Quote:
I don't. How does he feel?
After looking into it a little, I guess this article gives a clue about how John Wall feels (felt):

Quote:
Dan Feldman: Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

No moment encapsulates John Wall’s first few years in the NBA like JaVale McGee running back on defense with the Wizards still on offense. Wall was helpless to do anything but cup the ball and shake his head at his teammate’s ridiculousness....But it wasn’t his fault they brought him in to play with players like McGee, Gilbert Arenas, Andray Blatche and Nick Young. Still, Wall’s reputation took the hit because of his lofty draft status.

He remembers guys like Andre Miller, Drew Gooden and Marcin Gortat being skeptical when they first got to Washington. “They thought I was a joke and that I didn’t take basketball serious,” says Wall. “That’s what they thought looking in from the outside. They were looking at what I was around.”
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-i-was-a-joke/

"What I was around," eh?
Old 08-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #374
Joe Blow

Default So, what do all these sidetracks have to do with Williams?

Maybe nothing. But, personally, I see the primary role of a point guard to be that of a play-maker and distributor, not a scorer. It's great to do both, but between the two, playmaker comes first, in my book.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always seen Derrick Rose as being primarily a scorer and not an elite point guard in the distributor/game manager sense of the position. Same with Westbrook.

Like Deron, the question with Rose seems to be whether he can ever return to the player he once was. They've both been diminished by injuries, but Rose's have been much more severe and much more prolonged. I think Deron has a better chance of regaining most of his former qualities.

Deron has always been a team player. He has, at times, been forced by his coaches into more of a scoring role, but that's not really the best aspect of his game. With the right players, the right system, and the right coach, I think Williams can still play at an all-star level (he probably wouldn't make the all-star team, because most have written him off, but, still....).

It's possible that things will all fall into the right place in Dallas, for Deron and for the team, especially if Matthews regains full health and capacity. Carlisle says Deron and Dirk will play well together, and I believe they will. They're not likely to win a championship, but they could be much better than most seem to expect, I think.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 08-18-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #375
Joe Blow

Default Kobe Bryant, the poster boy for gunners everywhere...

defended Westbrook's taking 43 shots. I wonder why (more on this below). Not long ago, he criticized Deron for being 0-9 from the floor rather than 0-30. His reasoning was that's it's better to be 0-30 than 0-9 because stopping shooting means you've lost confidence. Deron's response was "I'm a point guard. I'm not going to take 20 more shots if I've gone 0-9. I'm going to get the ball to someone who is making shots."

When Deron scored a career high of 57 points, he took 29 shots, so he scored virtually 2 points per shot attempt.

His detractors treated this achievement as almost meaningless because it was "against the Bobcats." The suggestion was that almost anybody could stroll in and score 50+ points against the Bobcats. All the great scorers have played many games against the Bobcats, so I wondered who had scored the most points against them.

Turns out it is none other than Kobe Bryant, who scored 58 in a game against the Bobcats. But, unlike Deron, it took him 45(!) shots to do it. It was also a triple overtime game where he played 55 minutes (Deron played 36, as I recall). And, unlike Deron's team (who won big) the Laker's lost despite (or maybe because of) Kobe's 58 points on 45 shots. Nobody else on the team took more than 10 shots that night. Of course he's going to defend Westbrook for doing the same (scoring big on non-stop shooting while losing).

I guess I'm kinda old school when it comes to these kind of things. I prefer efficiency, fundamental soundness and team play over isolation plays and hero ball.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 08-18-2015 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #376
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Some positive news:

Tim MacMahon: Mavs encouraged by what they’ve seen from Deron Williams in informal AAC workouts. Looks lean and quick. Knows he has a lot to prove.
– via Twitter espn_macmahon
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #377
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Some positive news:

Tim MacMahon: Mavs encouraged by what they’ve seen from Deron Williams in informal AAC workouts. Looks lean and quick. Knows he has a lot to prove.

I wonder how quick he needs to be if this is the baseline we are used to here in Dallas, home of the red carpet back court.

--Edit-- Spoiler Alert-- no matter how many times you watch this gif poor Jose never gets his hand on that ball. Just thought I'd let you know.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 09-01-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #378
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

I wonder how quick he needs to be....
Me too. I've made this point before, but I think it's worth repeating:

Deron was often seen as "slow" because of his size and deliberate approach. But back in the draft combine days, Deron ran the 40 yard dash only 1/100 of a second slower than Chris Paul, as I recall--no discernible difference. So he wasn't "slow." Quickness helps, and never hurts, but, that said, how "necessary" is it to success?

Does a guy like Tyson Chandler, for example, have to be "quick" to effectively do his job?

Despite his often surprising quickness, Deron has always relied more on finesse, heavy fakes, intelligence, and deception to "juke" his man and sometimes the entire defense.

For a point guard, high BB IQ, great ball-handling, court vision, timing and passing ability are all more important than "quickness," taken alone. Many, many, highly athletic and "super quick" youngsters failed to succeed in this league after being drafted.

Even poor Jose has had a high degree of success as a point guard without being "quick." Likewise, I never saw Magic Johnson, John Stockton, or Jason Kidd as being especially "quick," either just for example.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-02-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #379
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Speed is overrated. Size and shooting matters in today's NBA.

Jason Kidd once said a ball is always faster than a player....nuff said.

Last edited by markus1234; 09-02-2015 at 06:28 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #380
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Jason Kidd once said a ball is always faster than a player....nuff said.
I was about to post the same thing -- you can pass the ball up the floor quicker than you can run it... And Kidd was definitely a guy who was more reliant on his BBIQ than his speed in his twilight years.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #381
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

I wonder how quick he needs to be if this is the baseline we are used to here in Dallas, home of the red carpet back court.

--Edit-- Spoiler Alert-- no matter how many times you watch this gif poor Jose never gets his hand on that ball. Just thought I'd let you know.
That defense is why Calderon is no longer a Mav.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #382
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I can name a dozen inanimate objects that are faster than Kidd, which makes the point even more.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #383
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That defense is why Calderon is no longer a Mav.
Not saying Caulderon is a good defender, but what's anybody gunna do against someone with the moves Deron was showing in that gif? Many people think Chris Paul is a great defender, but Deron has had him running in circles more than once (as have others). A couple of instances here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUwMo9Fufes

Not much you can do, really.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-03-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #384
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not saying Caulderon is a good defender, but what's anybody gunna do against someone with the moves Deron was showing in that gif?
Yeah, it's a combination of Deron's moves and Jose's incompetence as a defender. Calderon looks drunk.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-03-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:19 AM   #385
Joe Blow

Default More positive news

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Some positive news:

He was quoted today as saying he's really looking forward to a fresh start, and likes the "stability" of the Mavs organization. This bodes well for the team.

My prediction: Deron will return to all-star caliber play with Dallas.

In college, Deron was prone to be rather chubby. But he spent a lot of time before the draft getting in great shape for the pre-draft combine and made a strong impression there. He felt he had something to prove.

He feels that again. As I've noted before, you don't become a two-time wrestling champ in the whole state of Texas by being soft.

My work is done here, for now. Headin out to the Waffle House.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-04-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #386
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Cool interview from Deron here about playing with Dirk and reuniting with Wes Matthews:
http://www.mavs.com/videos/one-on-on...eron-williams/

The rumors about him losing weight look to be true. His face looks noticeably skinnier than it has in years.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #387
Joe Blow

Default Wes and Dirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Cool interview from Deron here about playing with Dirk and reuniting with Wes Matthews:
http://www.mavs.com/videos/one-on-on...eron-williams/
As Matthews himself also said, they've remained close friends since the Utah days. They had great chemistry then, and there were no "personal" problems, so I look forward to them playing well together again.

A few years ago Dirk said he thought Deron was the best point guard in the league. They've also always had great personal respect between them. Carlisle is, as Deron hinted, a "stable" coach with fundamental principles that correspond to Deron's, so I don't think there will be any problem there.

If healthy, this team could be very good, especially with a good "stable" (predictable and consistent) coach, like Carlisle.

On top of the other positives is the fact that Deron, as Carlisle noted, has always played well in Dallas, and has always said it was his favorite place to play. He wants to be here.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #388
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
. His face looks noticeably skinnier than it has in years.
If you ask me, he looked pretty lean and mean in that gif posted by Bryan. Lately he has taken to sporting a sraggly, long-ass beard whereas he used to keep it well-trimmed, so his face actually looks a little "fuller" to me now that it used to.

That said, there were times when he was probably 10-15 pounds overweight in the past and his face did look a little pudgy. I think it was the year before last when, after a slow start, Deron used the all-star break to get plasma treatment for his ankles and lost about 10 pounds on "juice-cleanse" diet (whatever that is). Then, for the remainder of the season he played at an extremely high level.

He's done it before; he can do it again.

Dallas fans should be happy to have Deron rather than looking at him as a poor acquisition (as some apparently do).

If Carlisle says he's a great player, I'll take his word for that over fans who base their opinions on hearsay, excessive criticism, and misinformation.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-04-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #389
Underdog

Did we keep Felton on the roster to steal Deron's desserts?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #390
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If we did, he's worth his contract.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #391
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
When looking at the criticism of Deron in the media, I automatically discount it about 30% because of the New York factor. There is so much whining, and so much competition to be the most negative, big named stars often crumble under the pressure and the expectations.

There is a lot of that in Dallas-think Randy Galloway and Dion Sanders-where a media guy makes himself popular by savaging attacking a player the reporter has decided deserves it. Hopefully, they won't do this to Deron. I don't live in Texas anymore, so I don't see much local media, but odds are, its already started.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #392
Underdog

The Four Horsemen: https://www.mavs.com/the-four-horsemen-deron-williams/

Last edited by Underdog; 09-19-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #393
Joe Blow

Default As I scan the opinions of the pundits, talking heads, and so-called "experts"....

from various media, I notice that the predictions for Deron Williams this year are extremely negative, at worst, and completely non-committal, at best. There are those who predict a Rondo-like "cancer" fiasco from Williams. However most simply say things like "it's unknown and to be determined if Williams will ever play well again."

Pansies! I'll go on record (again). Williams will play at an extremely high level for Dallas this year, at least after "adjusting" to the new coach, new system, new teammates, etc. I mean all-star caliber play (although the chances of him getting voted to the all-star team are non-existent, even if he was playing at "the undisputed MVP of 2016" level). All star votes are generally based on reputation and personal prejudice, and there is far too much prejudice against Williams at this point, whatever his actual performance.

Could I be wrong? Of course. I could be dead wrong, but I doubt it. Those who think Williams is a washed-up has-been simply don't know Deron Williams. Anyone else want to take a definite stance, one way or the other, on this topic.

Or is it mainly just "who could possibly guess, only time will tell?"

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-22-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #394
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hopefully that Deron plays well, especially with this training staff, but he's been so bad for the past couple of years he's basically in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #395
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
he's been so bad for the past couple of years

See, this is what I'm talking about. The "so bad" characterization makes him sound like some kind of D-league reject. It's simply not the case. "Bad" for Deron Williams, maybe, but what's that really mean?

In his first two years with NJ/Brooklyn, Deron averaged approx. 20 points per game, 8.5 assists (in a iso-heavy offense) shot over 5 free throws per game while making over 85% of them, etc. He was an all-star one of those years (maybe not 100% deserving, but....). Very good numbers.

He slowed down the last couple of years, with a lot of it due to non-chronic injuries (fractured ribs, sprained ankles, etc. most of which he played through). He was much better on bad ankles than Jarrett Jack at 100%.

As a result he averaged "only" about 13.5 points and 6.5 assists in those years. But he still shot 37% on threes, had only slightly over 2 turnovers per game. He came up with about 1.2 steals a game and over 3 rebounds.

Nothing to write home about, certainly not all-star caliber play, but not some "he'll be out of the league any day now" scrub, either.

All you really need to see is his 35 point, 7 assist, 2 turnover, 3 steal playoff game (shooting over 63% on 3's and over 52% overall) to know he has not "lost all his skills." That was just a few months ago against top-flight competition (Atlanta Hawks). He's still quite capable of extraordinary play.

Even his "terrible" games made a strong contribution to the team effort. In the final game of the playoff series, for example, he took only 7 shots and only scored 2 points. That said, he had 10 rebounds, 8 assists and two steals. Just because you didn't do "everything" doesn't mean you didn't do anything.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 09-22-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #396
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Deron is a victim of the DJ fiasco as much as the Mavs really. He is the biggest "name" signing we made in the aftermath so those "experts" just look at our depth chart and what we lost and look at the West and say, no chance. I'm fine with that personally. Aside from the obvious health question the biggest question to me about the team is not Deron but rebounding. Deron fits the flow offense really well(in theory) and we run a high dose of PnR even in a PnR heavy league which should suit him very well. I'm hopeful about the improved defense on the perimeter masking the loss of TC to a degree but the only area i'm not real optimistic about is rebounding. So the "experts" beating the Deron drum and why he isn't our savior just prove they took probably 5 mins at most to look at our off season moves and made a judgement based on names and current injury status then moved right along to gush about the teams who won the vaunted off season on paper award.

--Edit--

Those "experts" don't mention that the beauty of flow offense is moving the ball and letting the ball find the open shot, not having one player find his shot necessarily. The Mavs won't have a guy that night after night will create his own shot in the games critical moments it will be on a matchup by matchup basis and a collective effort(not saying we won't have preferred plays but it's not monta ball). That's not going to be popular with people who spend 5mins to look over a roster and draw conclusions. And since Dwill was the biggest "name" we signed and viewed as a "consolation prize" he's just the easiest target right now since 2 of the other starters are coming off injuries.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 09-23-2015 at 04:52 AM. Reason: more
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #397
Underdog

Quote:
See, this is what I'm talking about. The "so bad" characterization makes him sound like some kind of D-league reject. It's simply not the case. "Bad" for Deron Williams, maybe, but what's that really mean?
I think judgments about Deron are overblown simply because he never lived up to his max contract... Even if he's somehow worse this year than he was last year, he'll still be our best PG since Kidd (by a wide margin).

Old 09-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #398
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Deron >>>>>> Rondo and Jameer Nelson combined which is good enough for me. I know that is saying Deron is better than hot garbage, but that is what the starting pg position was last season.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #399
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I think Deron plays a huge key role for the future of this team. If he plays well and takes on a leadership role I like our future. If he is horrible or only a small fraction of his best years then I can see this thing falling apart quickly and the team could dismantle during the off-season or even before.

I tend to think he will do well and we'll be in the POs.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #400
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
he's basically in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory.
If you want to "see it," take a look at this clip.

This game was against top-flight competition (Hawks) just a few months ago. It's still all there: Great shooting (35 points 7-11 on 3's), amazing clutch shots under extreme pressure, great floor vision (no look passes after penetration) , filthy crossovers and drives to the hoop, posting up smaller guards, play-making (7 assists, 2 turnovers), solid defense (3 steals), incidental contributions (5 rebounds), etc.

This has already been posted, but no one ever reads all the posts, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ3Eypj5jGk

I find it hard to look at that game and conclude that "this guy is washed up and you can't expect much from him."