Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #401
TheLordoftheMavs

TheLordoftheMavs is on a distinguished road

Sorry long time posters.
I guess I deserve an FU too.
I read this site occasionally and don't contribute, so I guess I have that coming. I don't mean to get on everyone when they are down, but is thier anything positive out of this loss, or is it DOOM ON THE MAVS for the season.
TheLordoftheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 AM   #402
Yushi

Yushi is on a distinguished road

Man Peja is probably one of the few people who could guard dirk well, and he just happens to be a King. I sure hope we can play anyone- Lakes Spurs, any one - just so it's not the Kings in the playoff, We don't match up well against them at all.

Still, this game hurts like hell, but hopefully the mavs will learn from this, and stop making the same mistakes down the stretch...like giving up a 3 pointer when your up by 3 points??? I don't care if Dirk lets Jackson runs right past him for a layup but don't let him shoot a 3! EERR!

Yushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 AM   #403
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< Fidel...he had Bobby Jackson in the air and didn't take the hit to get to the line. He sidestepped and took an open jumper.

He usually makes that shot. Unless its at the end of a game.
>>

But it takes time. That´s all I´m saying. He´ll get there, learn from those mistakes. The guy is only 25 years old. Players have been coming out of college at that age not too long ago. He´s not a savvy veteran and more important he hasn´t been in that kind of situations that often. This is only the second season where he´s playing up to his potential and bein asked to do such kind of things. I´m sure he´ll get there, cause he´s a competitor.
Mavs should b patient with him in those situations, cause as it stands right now Dirk is their best bet to win anything anytime soon.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 AM   #404
Boogak

Boogak is on a distinguished road

I had a bad feeling when Divac fouled out and Keon Clark went in... I had flashes of that last Sac game where Clark got a huge offensive rebound and basically won the game. I hate it when I'm right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I thought it was kinda sad when they started showing the highlight clips of Bobby Jackson during the playoffs last year, every single scene was Jackson scoring on Dirk. Man we need better defensive rotations and double teams...
Boogak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #405
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do it, I had to go back and look at the last play.

Raef went over to help on Bibby but shouldn't have. NVE was there, Bibby was already pulling up for his shot, and Raef was slow going to help anyway. Then when the shot went up, he was slow going over to help, but was under the basket when Clark went up for the rebound. Raef never even got a hand up or made any attempt for the ball.

On the other side, Nash sorta had Clark blocked out, but Clark just muscled him out of the way and Nash gave up on the play.

Finley and Dirk were late coming in from straight away. Fin tried for the strip or foul (not sure) but Clark was already in motion for the shot.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #406
TheLordoftheMavs

Boogak. I thought the same thing when Divac went out. Oh damn, here come Keon. The Kings are sooooooo deep it is scare. Torgoglue didn't even play and he killed us last year. Pollard wasn't even their to counter our Najeraless Mavs.

What a scarry ass team they are. I kinda like to think of them as the NBA Champs*

*Hossed out of championship in 2002 by bad officiating.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:02 AM   #407
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Good game right up until the bitter end. Oh wait. That's not true. Good game right up until about a minute left when we managed to LOSE A SEVEN POINT LEAD. OT. We're cold. They're hot. We lose. I'm depressed. AND I was seriously emotionally invested in the Stars OT loss. That's back-to-back devastation. I can only take so much, you know.

And now I have to avoid news media for several days AND I'm going to fail my Spanish quiz tomorrow because I was too busy WATCHING ALL THE FAILURE to study! Forgive me if I sound bitter.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:02 AM   #408
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Damn, maybe the Mavs need to take a hit from Keons bong, then he might deliver some clutch plays
Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM   #409
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

On the flip side. Since no one thinks anyways that we have a chance to win it all this year what exactly did we lose tonight? I know it was dishartening, but to look at the bright side (if their is one) the Kings might get so cocky over all this wins that we could take them by surprise in the playoffs.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:05 AM   #410
Fidel
Diamond Member

And I really can´t wait for the playoffs to start. That´s where it counts. All the talk will come to an end. Do or die.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #411
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

<< Outside of Van Exel, there aren't many if any that want that game winning shot monkey on their backs with this team. >>

Uhhhh, great....NVE is clutch...6/17 FG...thanks, NVE
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #412
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Oh and Raef sucked major big time this game.

BTW if Nellie could have picked up a 2nd tech and got ejected before the last 2 minutes, I think we would have won this one.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:07 AM   #413
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Dispite what some people say the thing that will hurt us the most in the playoffs isn't small ball, its choking like a cheap 50 cent whore in the 4th. Besides Dirk, Raef my god he actually traveled instead of driving to the hole, he wasn't scared he was terrorfied, and then the last 24 hours their have been 2 posts wondering why Nellie yanks him so quick and disses him in the media??? Give me a motherplucking break.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:11 AM   #414
TheLordoftheMavs

Yes, Raef travelled but a couple of possesions later the Jackson also travelled. Same place on the court, but no call. I hate to bitch about the refs, but the calls on Bradley were rediculous. I wasn't too happy thoughout the game and that would have made the diffence. It was that close. The Mavs are almost thier. I just hope none of them read this forum. They will all jump off the nearest cliff the way the fans here act.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:15 AM   #415
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

<< BTW if Nellie could have picked up a 2nd tech and got ejected before the last 2 minutes, I think we would have won this one. >>

ROFL!!!! Sad but true LRB.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:17 AM   #416
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I bitch about the refs far more than most. But the simple fact of live is that the Mavs will always get the short end of the stick with the officials as long as David Stern is King, and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. We have to figure that we will get at least 10 to 15 more missed calls go against us at a minimum each game. We will also get calls go against us in clutch time of close games. It's a fact, and there is nothing we can do to change it.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:31 AM   #417
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs Rule - I disagree with your take on Nellie's comments right before the beginning of the 4th period. I think, like MFFL said, that he was trying to encourage his team, who obviously did not believe at that point that they could win the game. He makes plenty of underdog comments, I just don't think this was one.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:33 AM   #418
Fidel
Diamond Member

<< It's a fact, and there is nothing we can do to change it. >>

Lawsuit? I thought you could sue anyone over anything in the US [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].
Old 02-28-2003, 01:36 AM   #419
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

<< Mavs Rule - I disagree with your take on Nellie's comments right before the beginning of the 4th period. I think, like MFFL said, that he was trying to encourage his team, who obviously did not believe at that point that they could win the game. He makes plenty of underdog comments, I just don't think this was one. >>

Well, all the TNT anouncers took it the same way I did. I am not alone. Positive reinforcement must start with the teacher. &quot;We have the best record, but not the best team&quot; is now echoed by all the players. When players don't believe it will happen, it won't.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:40 AM   #420
LRB
Guru

<<

<< It's a fact, and there is nothing we can do to change it. >>

Lawsuit? I thought you could sue anyone over anything in the US [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].
>>

You can sue anyone for anything here. But suing doens't change much except make the lawyers involved righer. That would be the case if we sued King David. Although maybe we could try turning him in as an Al Queda conspirator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #421
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< Mavs Rule - I disagree with your take on Nellie's comments right before the beginning of the 4th period. I think, like MFFL said, that he was trying to encourage his team, who obviously did not believe at that point that they could win the game. He makes plenty of underdog comments, I just don't think this was one. >>

and whose responsibility might that be?
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:51 AM   #422
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< Well, all the TNT anouncers took it the same way I did. I am not alone. Positive reinforcement must start with the teacher. &quot;We have the best record, but not the best team&quot; is now echoed by all the players. When players don't believe it will happen, it won't. >>

I thought the TNT announcers took it the wrong way too. Still, I would agree with you that Nelson has to stop saying that they're not the best team. Let the national media say that. But don't tell your team that they're not the best. The team knows where they stand, but they don't need to be subliminally told that they're &quot;just another good team.&quot;

Unfortunately, that's what Nellie believes.

All in all, though, I feel pretty positive despite the loss. With some adjustments, the Mavericks can win it all THIS YEAR. The Kings are definitely not out of our league -- they have just gotten the breaks down the stretch in the past couple of meetings.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:54 AM   #423
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< Mavs Rule - I disagree with your take on Nellie's comments right before the beginning of the 4th period. I think, like MFFL said, that he was trying to encourage his team, who obviously did not believe at that point that they could win the game. He makes plenty of underdog comments, I just don't think this was one.

and whose responsibility might that be?
>>

I don't know that I understand this comment, but if you're implying that Nellie was the reason that the players didn't believe they could win in the first place, I guess that could be true in some sort of general sense because he typically reinforces the idea that they are inferior to the Kings, but in this specific context, I think the players were upset about the officiating and were a bit frustrated, and Nellie was simply pointing out that the game was far from over.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:54 AM   #424
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else find it amusing that Ainge ragged and ragged on our defense yet the Kings were just as bad? We actually held the Kings to a lower FG%.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:55 AM   #425
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Ainge can kiss my ass, he's right up there with Walton in my book.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:57 AM   #426
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

<< Did anyone else find it amusing that Ainge ragged and ragged on our defense yet the Kings were just as bad? We actually held the Kings to a lower FG%. >>

That's what I was pointing out earlier. The announcers were all over Dallas' defense, but they kept making excuses for why the Mavericks were scoring all over the Kings. Charles Barkley had it right when he said that NEITHER team was playing any defense.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:58 AM   #427
LRB
Guru

Personally I don't mind Nellie's comment as much as what it reprents. I think Nellie is scared. I think it transfers to his coaching and to a certain extent to some of the players play. Our strategy was not to lose, instead of to win. Nellie gets scared and goes to his security blanket, small ball. I really think Nellie is pants wetting scared. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks that way to me.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:03 AM   #428
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

When Divac fouled out, it was really odd to watch, because Nellie couldn't find anyone to hide Dirk on defensively. He obviously didn't feel comfortable putting Dirk on Stojakovic (who was playing PF for the Kings), and so he stuck him on Christie, who abused Dirk a couple of times. The way Dirk has to respond to that situation is by abusing Peja in the post -- but for some reason Dirk allows Peja to push him out of good post position and Dirk settles for fadeaway jumpers over the smaller and weaker player.

I have to think that Dirk will be able to adjust and change that with time.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:15 AM   #429
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

But explain to me why Nellie wasn't comfortable with Dirk on Peja?

And personally as soon as they went with that lineup... I'd either put Bell in immediately and have Dirk as the center. Yes we go small but Bell could guard Christie. Nash, Bibby, NVE, Jackson, Fin on Peja and Dirk on Clark.

Or I would go huge. Raef, Bradley, Dirk, Fin, and Nash.

Personally I think the first lineup matches up better with Sacramento but I think the 2nd lineup gives us more advantages defensively and offensively.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:17 AM   #430
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

GREAT GAME. i KNOW WE LOSSED BUT IT LOOKED LIKE TO ME THAT WE CAN BEAT THEM. bETTER TO LOSE NOW THAN IN THE PLAYOFFS. MANTIS HAD A HORRIBLE STAT NIGHT BUT BOY DID HE PUT IN A TON OF EFFORT. EDDIE OR ESH WILL ALSO HELP.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:21 AM   #431
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

<< When Divac fouled out, it was really odd to watch, because Nellie couldn't find anyone to hide Dirk on defensively. He obviously didn't feel comfortable putting Dirk on Stojakovic (who was playing PF for the Kings), and so he stuck him on Christie, who abused Dirk a couple of times. The way Dirk has to respond to that situation is by abusing Peja in the post -- but for some reason Dirk allows Peja to push him out of good post position and Dirk settles for fadeaway jumpers over the smaller and weaker player.

I have to think that Dirk will be able to adjust and change that with time.
>>

For this team to win a championship he'll have too. I think it will take alot more repition. That's why I beg for the mavs to feed him the ball in the low post more so he can become more and more comfortable and become used to making big plays for us in the post. He didn't look too comfortable tonight but hopefully he can get better with repition.

For all those who wonder why some can complain so much even with the gaudy record this team has, this is why. When playing lesser teams, we don't develop habits that will put us in a position to beat the top teams. Cutting off penetration, rebounding (from the big men and guards helping more when the big guys have to rotate), and developing a go-to player or at least some type of go-to player instead of just attacking matchups or just putting 5 scorers on the court and expecting something to happen are all things that they have not done against lesser competion but caught up with them tonight when they played a very good team.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:22 AM   #432
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Excellent Post, Afroman. You got it right.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:41 AM   #433
LRB
Guru

Nellie is a freaking scared little girl right now. That's why he didn't put Dirk on Peja. Nellie should have, and I like Dirks chances on Peja better than the quicker Christie.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:56 AM   #434
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

<< Mavs Rule - I disagree with your take on Nellie's comments right before the beginning of the 4th period. I think, like MFFL said, that he was trying to encourage his team, who obviously did not believe at that point that they could win the game. >>

The comment totally confused me. The game was tied when he said and the team had no reason to believe that they couldn't win it. The only thing that I could figure is that he just was telling them to play through the bad calls and win anyway. At least I hope that's what he meant.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:32 AM   #435
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Last nights game against the kings showed absolutely why Najera is important to the Mavs.

The Mavs were a different team when Bradley was out there showing some fire.
For some reason (Nellie!!) the mavs come out of breaks and time outs flat, and lacking confidence. When Bradley was fighting, this didn't happen. The entire team picked it up. Bradley can't do his madman's barrage and play for the refs, too, so his effect is limited. Najera's energy in crunch time last night would have kept this team focused and eager, instead of pansying about like they only had a desperate chance at winning.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #436
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Here are a couple of oberservations since last night my DSL was down.

1. Raef's turnover was the absolute turning point of that game. I was yelling &quot;don't let Raef touch it&quot; when Raef caught the ball and promptly turned it over. Raef is the weak link.

2. Did anybody see Shawn tell the cab driver(Divac) to &quot;shut the **** up&quot;? It was classic.

3. NVE, once again, couldn't buy a hoop once he started missing his shots. Is that guy streaky or what.

4. Bobby Jackson is a play maker pure and simple. That guy is good. I wish we had our playmaker in there late in the game.

5. I don't think this game will affect the Mavs whatsoever. The Mavs know they can win with a couple of breaks. Sacramento probably played their best game this season.

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #437
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< TwoDeep, I don't believe that at all.

Now then, the offensive meltdown was a shame. But the defense was as horrific. Even if we don't score in the last 1:30 should we give up 7 points?

And is it possible that we not switch on every single pick and roll?
>>

Actually 7 points in 1:30 doesn't seem outlandish. Three shots. A score, any score, any ft by the mavs and this game was over.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote